← 返回任务列表

2010年股东大会 · 从不做“尽职调查”的巴菲特,是如何收购一家企业的

52 段 · 3 位说话人 · 原片 5:02
M1
M10:00

我想问一下 Berkshire 的增长,具体来说,就是你们对收购这件事的看法和意愿。

I'd like to ask about Berkshire's growth, specifically your acquisition outlook and appetite.

电话有经常响吗?

Has the phone been ringing?
M2
M20:09

Berkshire 的电话其实并不常响。

The phone doesn't ring very often at Berkshire.

你知道,这部分是因为,嗯,我们已经在年报里写清楚了我们的标准,也就是我们在找什么样的企业,而且现在我们要找的标的也越来越大了。

You know, that's partly because, well, we set out our criteria, uh, in the annual report for what we're looking for, and we're now looking for larger and larger things.

所以当我们开始说,我们想买的是那些税前至少能赚七千五百万到一亿美元的企业时,

So when we start saying that we want to buy businesses that earn $75 or $100 million at a minimum before tax.

你知道,这就筛掉了很多来电。

You know, that weeds out a lot of phone calls.

我会说,如果我们一年能接到两三个,或者三四个,真正符合我们标准、看起来有可能谈成的电话,那就已经算是很好的一年了。

And I would say that, that, you know, if we get a couple of, 3 or 4 serious phone calls a year that sort of meet our criteria that look like they might be a possibility, that's a good year.

我喜欢这样。

I like that.

我觉得,能让我们感兴趣的机会出现的频率,并没有什么重大变化。

I don't think there's been any major change in the frequency that something comes along that might interest us.

答案是,就兴趣而言,我们和以前一样感兴趣。

The answer is, in terms of being interested, we're as interested as ever.

我的意思是,和 BNSF 那笔交易相关,我们确实开出了一张很大的支票,也发行了股票,但如果周一早上我的电话因为某个大交易响起来,我会很高兴。

I mean, they, it, you know, we wrote a big check and issued shares in connection with BNSF, but I would love it if Monday morning my phone rings with some big deal.

我们会想办法把它做成。

We'll figure out a way to do it.

Charlie?

Charlie?
M3
M31:27

是啊,让我觉得很惊讶的是,我们在收购这些理想企业方面,居然能做到这么成功。

Yeah, it's a, it's amazing to me that we have been as successful as we have been in buying desirable places.

而且,帮到我们的其实是一种人性上的反感,因为很多把公司卖给我们的人都非常聪明,以至于他们几乎对其他所有选择都很反感。

And it's human revulsion that has helped us, because many of the people who sell to us are so smart that they're revolted by almost everything else.

他们不想卖给那种由手续费驱动的收购体系,那种体系根本不在乎他们的员工,也不在乎他们的企业。

They don't want to sell into some fee-driven buying system that doesn't care about their employees or their business.

所以他们最后决定,想加入我们这一边。

They, and, and, uh, they finally decide they want to join this one.

他们不想选其他那些选项。

They don't want to join the alternatives.

当然,这对我们来说非常棒。

And of course, that's marvelous for us.

我们在外面其实有一道筛选机制,在某种程度上帮我们挡住了不合适的人。

We've got a screening device out there that is protecting us to some extent from the wrong sort of people.

而且,很少有人会呈现出这种特质。

And very few people have this particular look.

有些人拿来找我们的项目,是那种他们不会卖给其他任何人的。

We get offered things by people who would not sell to anybody else.

这真的很特别。

Well, that is really peculiar.

而且这种事发生过,那个,发生过多少次了?

And it's happened, what, how many times?
M2
M22:27

嗯,确实发生过,而且还是在一些很重要的交易上。

Well, it's happened, yeah, and on important ones.

我是说,有一个例子我以前提过,所以这次我也可以直接说名字。

I mean, there's one I've mentioned before, so I'll mention, I can mention the name.

我是说,当时我接到 Iscar 的消息时,呃,我以前从来没听说过 Iscar。

I mean, when I heard from Iscar, uh, I, I never heard of Iscar before.

给我写信的 Eitan Wertheimer,我之前也从来没听说过。

I never heard of Eitan Wertheimer, who wrote me.

嗯,但他的意思基本上是,而且也许说得还相当明确,他们要么卖给 Berkshire Hathaway,要么就谁都不卖。

Uh, but he basically told me, maybe quite specifically, they either wanted to sell to Berkshire Hathaway or they didn't want to sell it to anybody.

后来我们见了面,然后就达成了交易。

And we met and we made a deal.

还有另外一个人,我甚至不说具体是什么时候,但他来找我们时,已经考虑这家公司大概有一年了,而这家公司是他花了几十年时间建立起来的。

And there was another person, I won't even define exactly the time period, but he came in and he'd been thinking about it for about a year on this business, and he'd built it over many decades.

他说,有三种可能。

And he said, There were 3 possibilities.

第一种,是把公司卖给竞争对手。他说,竞争对手马上就会想到,他们可以从他的公司挖走哪些人,把总部搬到哪里,等等,然后把他花了大约三十年建立起来的东西拆得七零八落。

One was to sell it to a competitor, and he said they would have ideas immediately about all the people they could take out of his place and move the headquarters and everything, and they would dismantle something that he'd spent 30 years or so building.

于是他决定不这么做,尽管对竞争对手来说,这家公司可能更值钱,因为这种情况经常会发生。

And he decided that, that he didn't want to do that, even though it was probably worth more to a competitor, because that's often the case.

比卖给其他任何人都值钱。

Than anybody else.

然后他又考虑把公司卖给一家 leveraged buyout 公司,也就是现在所说的 private equity firm。可他不想让自己的公司基本上变成一块肉,没过几年就又被转手卖掉。

And then he looked at selling to a leveraged buyout firm that now would call itself a private equity firm, and he decided he did not want his place being basically a piece of meat that would be resold in not that many years.

他真正想找的是一个永久的归宿。

He really wanted to find a permanent home.

所以他说,我来找你,并不是因为你有多他妈吸引人。

So he said, when I come to you, I don't come to you because you're so damned attractive.

他说,你是唯一剩下的人了。

He said, you're the only guy left.

于是我们买下了这家公司。

And we bought the business.

我们买下了这家公司。

We bought the business.

所以,这种事我们偶尔会遇到,而且完全是偶然发生的。

So we—that happens from time to time, and it's accidental.

通常是某个人的生活中发生了什么事,让他决定,他真的想确保公司能有一个永久的归宿。

It's when something happens in someone's life that they decide they want—they really want to assure a permanent home.

可能是因为家里人关系不和。

It may be because a family isn't getting along.

也可能有五六种不同的原因。

It may be, you know, half a dozen reasons.

也许有人想把公司变现,因为他想捐出一大笔钱。

Maybe somebody wants to monetize it because they want to give away a lot of money.

但这种情况会时不时出现,而我们是一个很自然的求助对象,所以我们会接到这样的电话。不过,想要加快这个过程,或者做什么类似的事情,我们其实没什么办法。

But periodically, that will come up, and we are a logical place to get the call, and we will get the calls, but there's not much we can do to accelerate the process or do anything of the sort.

事情发生的时候,我们随时可以行动。

We are ready to act when it happens.

我的意思是,如果我星期一接到一个价值一百亿美元的交易电话,而且我喜欢这笔交易,我会直接说可以。

I mean, if I get a call and it's a $10 billion deal on Monday and I like it, I will say yes.

我的意思是,之后我再想办法弄清楚该怎么完成这笔交易。

I mean, then I'll figure out how we do it.
M3
M34:46

是的,我不认为这种情况已经结束了。

Yeah, I don't think it's over.

我觉得,实际上,这个过程可能会比早期慢一些,但考虑到我们现在都比那时候富裕得多,这也不算太糟。

I—it may be—in fact, it will be slower than it was in the early days, but that's not so bad considering how much richer we all are than we were then.