← 返回任务列表

How to Invest with David M. Rubenstein

603 段 · 2 位说话人 · 原片 46:36
M1
M10:09

我是 Neil Irwin。

I'm Neil Irwin.

我是 Axios 的首席经济记者。

I'm the chief economic correspondent at Axios.

我非常高兴能在 National Book Festival 和 David Rubenstein 一起聊聊。如果你过去几十年一直关注商业世界,你一定知道这个名字。

I'm thrilled to be here at the National Book Festival with David Rubenstein, who, if you've followed the world of business over the last few decades, you know the name.

你也知道他参与过的一些工作。

You know some of the work he's been involved with.

他是 Carlyle Group 的创始人、联合创始人之一,而 Carlyle Group 是全球最大的 private equity 公司之一。

Founder, co-founder of Carlyle Group, one of the world's largest private equity firms.

他后来又开启了第二职业,做采访者和电视主持人。

Who has made a second career of being an interviewer, television presenter.

你会怎么形容你自己在做的事?

How would you describe what you do?

这个你来回答吧。

I'll let you do that.

不过,还是欢迎 David Rubenstein。他写了一本很棒的书,叫《How to Invest》,里面采访了世界上一些最顶尖的投资人,涉及各种不同类型的投资,我们接下来 45 分钟都会聊到这些。

But welcome, David Rubenstein, who's written a wonderful book called How to Invest that features interviews with some of the world's leading investors in a wide range of kinds of investment that we'll be talking about over the next 45 minutes.

David,我先问你一个问题,我们为什么会在这里?

My first question for you, David, is why are we here?

为什么?你已经 73 岁了。

Why? You're 73.

你已经赚了几十亿美元。

You've made several billion dollars.

你为什么还在写书、做采访,还有……

Why are you writing books and doing interviews and...
M2
M21:02

嗯,你这个问题隐含的意思是,钱比想法更重要。

Well, the implication of your question is that money is more important than ideas.

但事实不是这样。

And that's not the case.

钱嘛,你知道,就是一种可以互换的东西。

Money is, you know, a fungible kind of thing.

但我,我对想法的兴趣和对钱一样大。

But I, I'm interested in ideas as much as I'm interested in money.

而且我签了,我是 Giving Pledge 的最初签署者之一。

And I signed - I was an original signer of the Giving Pledge.

反正我承诺会把我所有的钱都捐出去。

I'm committed to giving away all my money anyway.

所以我并没有那么关注钱。

So I'm not that focused on money.

不过,你知道,我很爱书。

But, you know, I, I have a love of books.

我父母并不富裕。

My parents weren't wealthy.

所以我小时候想读书,就会去 Baltimore 的图书馆,我就是特别喜欢读书。

And so to get books when I was young, I'd go to the library in Baltimore and, and I just loved reading books.

真正的问题是,为什么我在 30 多岁、40 多岁或者 50 多岁的时候没有写书?

And the real question is, why didn't I write books when I was in my 30s, 40s, or 50s?

现在按某些标准来说,我已经是个老人了,但我还在写书。

Now I'm an old man by, by some standards and I'm writing books.

所以我正尽量多写一点,差不多就是我说的,冲刺到终点,在我再也写不了之前,尽可能多写几本书出来。

So I'm trying to churn them out and kind of what I call sprint to the finish line, try to get out as many books as I can before I can't write them anymore.
M1
M11:53

所以,所以你有一个很有意思的点——这个“如何投资”的问题,那些伟大的投资人到底是怎么做到的?

So, so you have an interesting - this question of how to invest, how do the great investors do what they do?

你知道,你是世界上最大投资公司之一的联合创始人。

You know, you're a co-founder of one of the biggest investment firms in the world.

你在我记得的导言里说,你其实并不算是一个真正的投资人。

You say in the, I believe, the intro, you're not really an investor yourself.

展开说说。

Elaborate on that.
M2
M22:06

对,Carlyle,我在 1987 年创立 Carlyle 的时候,我是个律师。

Yeah, I've— Carlyle, when I started Carlyle in 1987, I'm a lawyer.

我曾在 Carter 总统的 White House 工作。

I worked in the White House for President Carter.

我居然把通胀率搞到了 19%,那时候谁都觉得这种事以后不会再见到了。

I managed to get inflation to 19%, which nobody thought would ever be seen again.

我们看看这会不会再回来吧。

We'll see whether that comes back.

但所以我只好回去当律师,结果我当律师其实也没那么好。

But so I had to go back and practice law, and I wasn't really that good as a lawyer either.

所以我决定试试别的事情。

So I decided to try something different.

我在 Washington 创办了第一家 buyout,也就是 private equity 公司,而且它发展得很快。

I started up the first buyout or private equity firm in Washington and it took off.

但要把它做起来,我确实招进来的人都是有 MBA 背景的。

But to build it, I really brought in people that had MBAs.

我有的是法律学位,不是 MBA,而他们知道怎么投资。

I have a law degree, not an MBA, and they knew how to invest.

所以我决定由我来负责筹资或者招人、战略这些事情。

So I decided I would take on the role of fundraising or recruiting, strategy and so forth.

所以我不会说我是那种纯粹的投资者。

So I wouldn't say that I'm the investor qua investor.

不过,我确实坐着参加了几千场 investment committee 会议,而且一直参加到现在。

Nonetheless, I sat through and have sat through several thousand investment committee meetings.

所以我也学到了一点东西,而且我在很多 nonprofit board 上任职,也在其中不少的 investment committee 上任职。

And so I learned a little bit and I serve on a lot of nonprofit boards and I serve on the investment committees of many of them.

所以我还是学到了一些。

So I picked up something.

但归根结底,我没有说出,怎么样才能成为一个伟大的投资者。

But in the end, I didn't say here is the way to be a great investor.

我采访了这些其他伟大的投资者,也给出了一些我的想法,但就这些。

I interviewed these other people who are great investors and I gave some of my ideas, but that's it.
M1
M13:07

如果别的都不算,至少你一直在最前排看着这些事。

If nothing else, you've had a good ringside seat to— I did.
M2
M23:10

没错,我见过一些真的很优秀的人,多年来也认识了其中一些最顶尖的人。

I've seen some really good people and I've over the years gotten to know some of the best people.

我在这本书里特地把它献给了两位和我一起把公司做起来的合伙人,也献给了 Warren Buffett,他是——这本书里我没有采访他,但我之前采访过他,也在我其他书里写过他。

And I dedicated the book in part to my two partners that helped build the firm with me, but also to Warren Buffett, who is— who I didn't interview for this book, but I've interviewed him before and written about him in other books.

他就是伟大投资者的一个榜样。

And he is a role model of being a great investor.
M1
M13:27

所以,你写到伟大的投资者通常是在蓝领或者中产家庭里长大的。

So, so you write that great investors were usually raised in either a blue-collar or kind of middle-class household.

为什么?

Why?

你为什么这么觉得?

Why do you think that is?
M2
M23:37

一般来说,投资的目的就是赚钱。

As a general rule of thumb, investing is designed to make money.

而且要做好,你可能得有某种 hunger,某种 passion,还有某种 drive。

And to do it well, you have to probably have a certain hunger and a certain passion and a certain drive.

而且很多时候,如果你父母是 multibillionaire,你可能就不会有那种 drive。

And very often, if your father or mother is a multibillionaire, you may not have that drive.

所以通常有这种 drive 的人,像我一样,都是从蓝领家庭出来的。

So usually people that have the drive are like me, came from blue-collar backgrounds.

我父母都没读完高中。

My parents didn't complete high school.

而且你经常会在那些人身上看到这种 drive,他们真的有一种你知道的,想要在这个世界上证明自己的需要。

And very often you see that kind of drive from people that really have, you know, a need to kind of prove themselves in the world.

他们没有得到过一切。

They haven't been given everything.
M1
M14:15

你也写到,这些人当中很多人在一路上都遇到过一些重大的挫折。

So you also write that many of these people had some major setbacks along the way.

说说挫折吧。

Talk about setbacks.

有没有办法区分好的失败和坏的失败?

Is there a way to distinguish the good kind of failure from the bad kind of failure?
M2
M24:24

有。

Yeah.

我的意思是,人生里任何真正有所成就的人,都失败过。

I mean, anybody in life that gets anywhere has failed.

有些人能重新站起来,再回到竞技场里。

And some people can pick themselves up and get back into the arena.

而另一些人会说,你看,我就是……我不擅长这个。

And other people say, look, I just - I'm not good at this.

我就待着好了。

I'm just going to stay.

不再试着去成就什么。

Not trying to accomplish anything.

如果你看看世界上那些伟大的投资者,我采访过的那些人,当然,他们都经历过某种失败,也都把自己重新拉起来,回到游戏里,而且他们都从中学到了东西。

And if you look at the great investors in the world, the ones that I've interviewed, certainly they've all had sort of failures and they all kind of picked themselves up and got back in the game and they've all learned from it.

我经常说,你知道,当你遇到一个从来没有失败过的人,那这个人很可能要么没有试着成就太多事情,要么以后也不会真的特别出色。

And I've often said that, you know, when you get somebody that's never failed, you have somebody that is probably either not trying to accomplish that much or they're not going to be that great later.

有一个经典例子,我会尽量隐去那个人的名字。我职业生涯早期遇到过一个人,他上的是 Harvard College,summa cum laude 毕业,Rhodes Scholar,做过 Harvard Crimson 的 president,从一所顶尖大学拿了 economics 的 PhD,又去了 Yale Law School,还是 Yale law journal 的 editor-in-chief,当过 Supreme Court clerk,也做过 White House fellow。

And one of the classic examples I try to disguise the person's name, but I met somebody early in my career who went to Harvard College, summa cum laude, Rhodes Scholar, president of the Harvard Crimson, PhD from a major university in economics, Yale Law School, Yale editor-in-chief of the law journal, Supreme Court clerk, White House fellow.

这个人什么都有。他蓝眼睛、金发、轮廓分明,所有你想要的条件都有。你会觉得,这个人真是什么都具备了。

That person had everything. He was blue-eyed, blonde-haired, chiseled, everything you want, and you kind of say, this person has got everything.

你知道,所以任何人只要看到他的简历,或者看到他本人,就会说,我们要给他一份工作。

You know, and so anytime anybody sees his resume or looks at this person and says, we're going to give him a job.

所以他不断拿到这些很棒的工作。

So he kept getting these great jobs.

但是最后,当他在某份工作中真的遇到危机时,他没有准备好,因为他以前从来没有失败过,也不知道该怎么真正应对失败带来的冲击。

But anytime when finally there was a crisis in a job that he had, he wasn't prepared for it because he'd never failed before and he didn't know how to really deal with the trauma of failure.

所以我觉得,失败大概是一件相当好的事,因为它会让你变得更强。

And so I think failure is probably a pretty good thing because it makes you stronger.
M1
M15:48

接下来我们会谈到你采访过的、也是这本书写到的一些投资者的具体情况。

So we're going to go to some of the specifics of the investors you interviewed and the book is about.

我能先问一个偏哲学的问题吗?

Can I ask a philosophical question first?

对于 America,对于社会来说,那些拥有这种特定投资技能的人,可以拥有几十亿、几十亿美元的身家,这到底是好事还是坏事?

Is it good or bad for America, for society, that the people who have this particular skill at investing can become worth billions and billions of dollars?

你知道,一个非常优秀的外科医生,身家可能也只有几百万美元。

You know, a very good surgeon might only be worth a couple of million dollars.

这些数字是不是在某种程度上失衡了?

Are the numbers out of whack in some way?
M2
M26:10

嗯,你看,如果 Warren Buffett 是一名 schoolteacher,这个国家会更好吗,还是不会?

Well, look, if Warren Buffett was a schoolteacher, would the country be better off or not?

我不知道,因为事实是,很多非常有才华的人,会去那些能赚到相当多钱的地方。

I don't know, because the truth is many very talented people go where there is a fair amount of money to be made.

另一方面,也有很多非常有才华的人,会进入收入并不高的职业,比如 school teachers、firemen、policemen,或者其他职业。所以这取决于你到底想从人生里得到什么。

On the other hand, there are many very talented people who go into professions that don't pay a lot, school teachers or firemen or policemen or others, so it depends on what you really want out of life.

如果给人们设一个上限,规定他们最多能赚多少钱,会更好吗?

Would it be better if people were capped at how much money they could make?

我,嗯,我不认为这现实,也不觉得这有可能发生。

I, you know, I don't think that's realistic or likely to happen.

我会说,投资这个世界,如果你真的很擅长,就能赚很多钱。但大多数伟大的投资者,并不是想炫耀自己的财富。

I'd say that the investment world is a world where you make a lot of money if you're really good at it, but most people who are great investors, they're not trying to flash their wealth.

他们真的是……他们太热爱自己在做的事情了,所以这就是他们想做的事。

They're really - they love what they're doing so much so that this is what they want to do.

等他们有足够的钱来支付家庭的基本需求,以及孩子们的需求等等之后,他们基本上就在把钱捐出去。

And after they have enough to pay for their basic family needs and so forth and their children's needs, they basically are giving away the money.

所以我不会说这是我们世界上最好的制度。

And so I wouldn't say it's the greatest system we have in the world.

但另一方面,想把它彻底重新发明一遍,恐怕也不现实。

On the other hand, trying to reinvent it is probably not realistic.

而且我觉得,不能因为人们想成为优秀的投资者,就去责怪他们。

And I don't think we should fault people for wanting to be good investors.

这也是我觉得这是一项很重要的技能的原因。

And this is the reason I think it's an important skill set.

我女婿以前在一家叫 Moderna 的公司工作。

My son-in-law worked at a company called Moderna.

当然,他不是那个想出疫苗的人。

Now, he wasn't the one who came up with the vaccine.
M1
M17:25

不过,这其实不是我们今天会在这个房间里,而不是在 Zoom 上的原因。

But not the reason we're actually in a room today instead of on Zoom.
M2
M27:27

但实际上,他在 Moderna 的时候,一直想让我投资这家公司。

But in fact, when he was at Moderna, he kept trying to get me to invest in it.

我说,嘿,这家公司不会有什么大出息的。

I said, hey, that company's not going anywhere.

所以,你知道,那些投了风险投资的人,还有 Flagship Ventures,就是给 Moderna 投资风险资本的那家公司。

So, so I, you know, the people that put up venture capital money, and there was Flagship Ventures, is the group that put up the venture capital money for Moderna.

他们确实为美国和整个社会做得相当不错。

They did a pretty good job for the United States and society.

所以当人们以合适的方式配置资本时,你会创造一家企业,也会挽救一家企业。

And so when people allocate capital in an appropriate way, you create a company, you save a company.

我觉得这对经济是好事。

I think it's good for an economy.

所以到最后,你得到的就是这些公司带来更多的税收。

So in the end, what you're getting is you're getting more tax revenues out of those companies.

你还会看到一些人把很多钱捐出去,因为他们靠这个赚了相当多的钱。

You're getting people that are going to give away a lot of their money because they've made a fair amount of money out of doing this.

所以我不觉得说投资者只是在贪婪,只是在想办法赚钱,这就到了世界末日的地步。

So I don't think it's the end of the earth to say that being an investor is just a matter of, matter of, of just greed and trying to make money.

我觉得做这件事的人,实际上是在做一些对社会有用的事,对我们这个社会,或者他们生活的任何一个社会都有用。

I think people that do this are really - they're doing some things useful for society, our society or whatever society they might live in.

所以我不会因为人们是很出色的投资者,就去责怪他们。

And so I don't fault people for being great investors.
M1
M18:20

好吧,我们来聊聊吧。你刚才提到过一个你自己觉得有点自嘲意味的错失机会。

Well, let's - you mentioned a self-deprecating opportunity you missed.

书里前面你还提到了另外两个。

There's 2 more you mention early in the book.

跟我说说,你为什么在 Mark Zuckerberg 还是个大学生的时候,错过了 Facebook。

Tell me about why you passed on Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook when he was a college student.
M2
M28:30

我当时的准女婿,现在已经和我女儿结婚大概 10 年左右了。

My then son-in-law-to-be is now married to my daughter for about 10 years or so.

不过他在 Harvard 上本科的时候,和 Mark Zuckerberg 一起在 Phillips Exeter 上过学,后来在 Harvard 也是同学。

But when he was an undergraduate at Harvard, he had been a classmate of Mark Zuckerberg's at Phillips Exeter and a classmate at Harvard.

他跟我提起了这个同学。

And he told me about this classmate.

他说他在创办一家公司的事,还给我描述了一下。

He said he's starting this company and described it to me.

我就说,听着,我也在这个圈子里待了挺久了。

And I said, look, I've been around a while.

这些学生交友公司从来都成不了事。

These student dating companies never get anywhere.

这不会成功的。

This is not going to work.

我以前见过它们怎么倒掉。

I've seen them implode before.

所以,不行。

So, no.

所以,有个人在他们急需 3 万美元的时候拿出了 3 万美元,这个人是 Mark Zuckerberg 的同学,我觉得后来从这件事上赚了 130 亿、140 亿,或者 150 亿美元。

So somebody who did put up $30,000 when they needed $30,000, who was a classmate of Mark Zuckerberg's, I think made $13 or $14 or $15 billion out of it.

所以那是我犯的一个错误。

So that was a mistake I made.
M1
M19:06

是。

Yes.

你还说过,你当时也没意识到 Jeff Bezos 和 Amazon 最后会有多重要。

You also said you, you missed how important Jeff Bezos and Amazon would end up.
M2
M29:11

是。

Yes.

Carlisle 买过一家公司,叫 Baker and Taylor,它是美国第二大的图书分销商,1850 年代就成立了,自从 1850 年代以来就没赚过钱,从来没盈利过。

Carlisle had bought a company that was called Baker and Taylor, the second biggest book distributor in the United States, started in the 1850s, hadn't made a profit since the 1850s, never made a profit.

我们是从 W.R. Grace 手里买下它的,它其实没什么太大的亮点。后来有一天,一个销售跟我说,猜猜怎么着,有人想买,或者租一个我们手里的 bibliography。因为我们已经有了在售图书的 bibliography,我当时觉得把它卖给别人不算什么大事,所以我们就租出去了。那个人显然说,他想把他正在创办的那家公司 20% 或 30% 的股份给我们。

We bought it from W.R. Grace, and it didn't really have that much going for it, and it turned out that a salesman one day told me, guess what, somebody wants to buy a bibliography, or rent a bibliography we had, and since we already had the bibliography of books in print, I didn't think it was that big an idea to sell it to somebody, we rented it. The guy apparently said he wanted to give us 20 or 30% of the company he was starting.

而我们聪明的销售就说,嗯,我不,我们不接受新成立公司的股票。

And our smart salesman said, well, I don't, we don't take stock in newly formed companies.

我们要现金。

We want cash.

所以我们每年拿 10 万美元。

So we got $100,000 a year.

大概过了两年之后,我说,嘿,也许这家公司真的有戏。

And after about 2 years, I said, hey, maybe this company is going somewhere.

也许我们应该拿股票。

Maybe we should take in the stock.

于是我跑去见 Jeff Bezos,跟他说,你知道,我就是这家公司的部分所有者。

So I went out to see Jeff Bezos and said, you know, I'm the guy that is a part owner of this company.

我想,比起每年拿 10 万美元,我更想拿 Amazon 的股票。

I think I'd like to take the stock in Amazon as opposed to $100,000 a year.

你现在能不能把 Amazon 20% 或 30% 的股份给我们?

And can you give us the 20 or 30% of Amazon now?

他说,嗯,David,那已经是一年半以前的事了。

He said, well, David, that was a year and a half ago.

我现在没那么需要你了。

I don't need you so much anymore.

不过他确实还是给了我们一点股票。

But he did give us a little bit of stock.

等它上市的时候,我们马上就卖掉了,因为我们根本不相信它会发展到哪儿去。

And when it went public, we sold it right away because we had no confidence it was going to get anywhere.

所以那也是个错误。

So that was a mistake.
M1
M110:16

你刚才提到了 Warren Buffett,还把这本书献给了他。

You mentioned Warren Buffett a minute ago and dedicated the book to him.

而且他,他没有在这本书里接受采访。

And he's, he's not interviewed in this.

但你在这本书里最佩服 Warren Buffett 的是什么?

But what is it you admire about Warren Buffett in this?
M2
M210:23

Warren Buffett 这个人,光看他的业绩记录就知道了。

Warren Buffett is a person in terms of his track record.

如果你把钱存银行,假设在过去这 60 年里,你大概每年的平均回报率也就 0.5% 左右,因为从历史上看,银行利率并没有那么高。

If you put your money in the bank, let's say over the last, you know, 60 years, you probably would have averaged maybe a half a percent rate of return a year or so, because bank interest rates are not that high historically.

而他 60 年来平均每年赚 20%,你知道,在 60 年的时间里,他的年均回报是 20%。

He's averaged 20% a year for 60 years, you know, over a 60-year period he's averaged 20% a year.

所以很明显,他在这方面非常厉害,而且他把,你知道,1,000 美元或者 2,000 美元,变成了大约 8,000 亿美元的净资产。

So he's obviously very good at this, and he took up, you know, $1,000 or $2,000 and made it into roughly $800 billion in terms of net worth.

这就是他公司今天的价值,当然,他们也用这笔钱做了别的事。

That's what his company's worth today, plus they've obviously done other things with it.

那笔钱,但他是个非常专注的人。

The money, but he's a very focused person.

他喜欢自己在做的事。

He likes what he's doing.

他很热爱自己在做的事。

He loves what he's doing.

他没有。他住在自己在 20 世纪 50 年代买下的那栋房子里。

He doesn't. He's living in the same house he bought in the 1950s.

他其实不会出去买很多,你知道的,艺术品,或者其他那种体现财富的装饰品。

He doesn't really go out and buy lots of, you know, art or other kinds of accoutrements of wealth.

他只是一个热爱自己在做的事的人,而这就是他整天在做的事。

He just is a person who loves what he's doing, and this is what he does all day.

所以我钦佩他的智慧。

So I admire his intellect.

我钦佩他的专注。

I admire his focus.

而且他也非常非常慷慨。

And so he's also very, very charitable.

他是和 Bill 还有 Melinda Gates 一起发起 Giving Pledge 的那个人。

He was the person who set up the Giving Pledge with Bill and Melinda Gates.
M1
M111:25

所以你曾经论证过,这个国家在建立之初,本质上就是一项投机性投资,Jamestown 的定居者基本上就是一种 venture capital 式的情况。

So you argued at one point that this nation was essentially a speculative investment when it was founded, that settlers in Jamestown were basically a venture capital type of situation.

我们这个国家里是不是有这种投资的 DNA?

Is this DNA in our nation of investing?
M2
M211:36

嗯,这个国家确实重视创业活动,也重视投资。

Well, this country has does value entrepreneurial activities and does value investing.

想想看,Jamestown 基本上就是这样一种情况:英国的一些人拿出一笔钱,在 Virginia 建一个殖民地,想着能从中赚钱。

And think about it, Jamestown was basically a situation where people in England put up some money to create a colony in Virginia with the idea they'd make money on it.

结果证明那是一笔糟糕的投资。

It turned out to be a terrible investment.

但,另外还有很多殖民地也是作为投资活动建立起来的。

But, and many other colonies were created as investment activities.

所以我们国家,你知道,有那种从无到有创造东西的本能,而且我们一直看重这里的人具有 Horatio Alger 那种能力,能从一无所有一路往上爬,去实现我们现在称之为 American dream 的东西。

So our country, you know, has that instinct to kind of create something out of nothing, and we valued people here for their Horatio Alger kind of abilities to kind of rise from nothing to go up to what we now call the American dream.

可悲的是,美国很多人已经不相信 American dream 了。

Sadly, many people in the United States don't believe in the American dream anymore.

讽刺的是,反而是来自美国之外的人来到这里。

It's ironically people from outside the United States who come here.

我们这个国家有 5000 万移民。

We have 50 million immigrants in this country.

5000 万,整个 3.3 亿人口里,有 5000 万人来到这里,大概是因为他们觉得这里有机会过上更好的生活,而其中很多人后来声名显赫、发了大财,因为他们创办了很棒的公司,等等。

50 million, the total population of 330 million people, 50 million people have come here presumably because they thought there was an opportunity for a greater life, and many of them have gone on to great fame and fortune because they built great companies and so forth.

所以我确实认为 American dream 在某种程度上依然存在,而这个国家的创业本能也相当强。

So I do think the American dream is alive to some extent, and the entrepreneurial instinct of the country is pretty strong.
M1
M112:40

所以你书里还写到一件事。在 More Than Mechanics of Investing 里,你写道,一份投资委员会备忘录的深度和广度,哪怕能有 200 到 300 页,也并不能保证最好的投资结果。

So another thing you write, so in More Than Mechanics of Investing, you write that the depth and breadth of an investment committee memo, which can be 200 to 300 pages, does not guarantee the best investment outcomes.

你能谈谈投资里的直觉和本能,和那种非常彻底的分析之间的区别吗?

Can you talk about intuition and instinct versus kind of very thorough analysis in investing?
M2
M212:56

Warren Buffett 做这行已经很久了,所以他有很好的直觉和本能,而且他没有一个很大的委员会给他出备忘录。

Warren Buffett has been doing this for a long time, so he has pretty good instincts and a pretty good intuition, and he does not have a big committee of people giving him memos.

他很多时候就是自己读点东西,然后自己做决定。

He does it very often by reading something himself, and he makes a decision.

在 private equity、venture capital 这些世界里,事情通常就是这么运作的:你会有一群人,他们做研究,然后给你发一份备忘录,现在通常有 300 或 400 页,你得在一晚上把这东西读完,然后做决定。

In the way that the private equity world, the venture capital world, those kinds of worlds work, you tend to have teams of people, they do the research, and then they send you a memo which is typically 300 or 400 pages at this point, and you're supposed to read this thing overnight and make a decision.

我总是想告诉我们公司里的年轻人,听着,一笔交易的质量并不会随着备忘录的厚薄而直接变化,基本上,嗯,10 页的备忘录也足够了,但人们往往听不进去这个信息。

And I try to tell the younger people in our firm, look, the quality of a deal does not vary directly with the fatness of the memo, and basically, you know, a 10-page memo would do the trick too, but people don't tend to get that message.

所以直觉非常重要,伟大的投资者,或者任何行业里的伟大人物,都会有某种本能、直觉和直觉上的判断,知道该怎么做,而他们其实并不需要一份 300 或 400 页的备忘录来告诉他们怎么做。

So instinct is very important, and great investors or great people in any industry have a certain instinct and intuition and gut feeling for what the right thing to do is, that they don't really need a 300 or 400-page memo to tell them what to do.
M1
M113:51

好,在我们谈那些个人的伟大投资者之前,我再读一段你书里的引文给你听。

OK, one more quote I'm going to read you from your book before we talk about individual great investors.

你说过,我见过的一些最富有的人,其实并不是很快乐的人。

You say some of the wealthiest individuals I've ever met are not really happy people.

一些职业上成功相对没那么显著的人,却对自己的生活非常满意。

Some individuals with comparatively modest professional success are extremely pleased with their lives.

这怎么适用于——。

How does that apply to—.
M2
M214:05

嗯,我的意思是,很多富人其实内心都很煎熬。

Well, my point was that a lot of wealthy people are tortured souls.

我认识的一些最有钱的人,个人生活都非常糟糕。

Some of the wealthiest people I know have very terrible personal lives.

他们的处境很悲惨。

They have very sad situations.

他们对自己其实并不满意。

They're not really happy with themselves.

但我也认识一些人,他们以前没钱,或者现在没钱,但基本上对自己的生活非常满意。

But some people I know who had no money or have no money, basically very happy with their lives.

而且你知道,期待值是个大问题。

And, you know, expectations are a big issue.

当然,你的期待会低一些。

Of course, your expectations are lower.

所以钱显然不能买来幸福,这话我们都听过很多次了。

So money obviously, and we've all heard this before, doesn't buy happiness.

现在人们可以拿这个开玩笑,说,好吧,那我还是试试吧。

Now people can make jokes about it, say, well, I'll try it anyway.

但是,但是,你知道,事实是我不能说我现在比以前有很多钱之前更快乐。

But, but, you know, the truth is I can't say that I'm a happier person than I, than I was before I got a lot of money.

而且到最后,你知道,我觉得有钱带来的最大挑战之一,除了别的,就是养孩子。

And in the end, you know, I think the biggest challenge with having money, among other things, is raising children.

人生中最难的事,就是把孩子养得健康又快乐。

The hardest thing to do in life is raising healthy and happy children.

如果你还有相当多的钱,那就更难,因为显然很容易把孩子宠坏。

And it's even harder if you've got a fair amount of money because there's obviously a tendency to spoil your children.

所以你们所有养孩子的人都知道,这不容易,这永远都是一种经历,而你们也正在经历。

So all of you who raise children know it's not easy and it's always an experience and you're doing it.

现在,人们会问我,什么时候你才不再为孩子操心?

Now, people ask me, when do you stop worrying about your children?

我说,等他们到了60岁,或者差不多那个年纪的时候吧。

I say when they turn 60 or something like that.

你永远不会停止为孩子操心,如果你们中有人在深夜接到孩子的电话,你会不会总担心他们要告诉你什么?

You never stop worrying about your children, and if any of you get a call late at night from your child, are you ever worried about what they're going to tell you?

所以养孩子总是有挑战的,但我会说,我算是挺快乐的。

So there's always a challenge in raising children, but I would say I'm reasonably happy.

我不去看精神科医生,这没什么不好,不过我从来没去过。

I don't go to a psychiatrist, nothing wrong with them, but I have never been to one.

也许我该去看看,我不知道,不过我挺快乐的。

Maybe I should go to one, I don't know, but I'm pretty happy.
M1
M115:25

这不就是采访的作用吗,对吧?

That's what interviews are for, right?
M2
M215:27

对,我挺快乐的,而且你知道,Thomas Jefferson 在《独立宣言》里提到了对幸福的追求,但在他后来的50年人生里,他其实从来没有给“幸福”下过定义。

Yeah, I'm pretty happy, and, you know, Thomas Jefferson in the Declaration of Independence talked about the pursuit of happiness, but he never in the subsequent 50 years of his life actually defined what happiness means.

所以,人生里最难捉摸的东西,就是个人幸福。

And so it's the most elusive thing in life is personal happiness.

所以我个人是挺幸福的。

And so I'm pretty personally happy.

但你知道,有人比我更幸福,也有人比我更难过。

But, you know, there are people happier than me and there are people sadder than me.
M1
M115:50

好。

All right.

我们先来聊聊你在书里采访和描写的一些人。

Let's start talking about some of the individuals you, you interview and profile in the book.

Larry Fink 是 BlackRock 的创始人,BlackRock 是全球最大的资产管理公司,管理着数万亿、数万亿资产。

Larry Fink is the founder of BlackRock, the largest asset manager in the world, trillions and trillions under management.

你的 401(k) 很有可能就在他们的投资组合里。

Good chance your 401(k) is in their portfolio.
M2
M216:03

在座很多人可能都持有一些 BlackRock 的股票。

A lot of people here might have some BlackRock stock.

对啊,随便吧。

Yeah, whatever.

你在书里提到的一点是,他出身并不优越。

One point you make in the book is that he was from modest circumstances.

我想他父亲是做零售生意的某种行业,他在洛杉矶的中产家庭长大,后来去了 UCLA,读了 UCLA Business School,去了 First Boston,做过 mortgage trader,做过 mortgage-backed securities trader,而且还是 First Boston 最年轻的合伙人。

His father, I think, had a retail business of some type, and he grew up in middle-class circumstances in Los Angeles, went to UCLA, UCLA Business School, went to First Boston, was a mortgage trader, mortgage-backed securities trader, and he was the youngest partner at First Boston.

但后来,他在自己做的那个投资流程上,一年亏了 1 亿美元。

But then he lost $100 million one year for the investment process that he was doing.

然后他就被人排挤,大家还会说,嘿,你太差劲了。

And he was ostracized and people kind of said, hey, you're terrible.

最后他就离开了那家公司。

And ultimately he quit the firm.

之后,他打造了世界上最大的资产管理公司。

He then built the biggest money management firm in the world.

所以你可以说,他是全世界最有影响力的投资人。

So you might say he's the most influential investor in the world.

BlackRock 现在管理着超过 10 万亿美元的资产。

BlackRock now manages more than $10 trillion.

所以他对投资界有着惊人的影响力,而且本人也相当厉害。

And so he has an incredible impact on the investment world and pretty impressive in person.
M1
M116:49

所以你的原话是,他们成立的时候,BlackRock 是在 1988 年创立的。

So your quote was, when they were formed, BlackRock was created in 1988.

你当时觉得,这不过就是另一家债券公司,在寻找自己的立足之地。

You thought this would just be another bond firm seeking its place in the sun.

你没想到他们最后真的会成为那个太阳。

You did not think they would in time actually become the sun.

所以这真的是一个竞争非常激烈的行业。

So it's a very, very competitive business.

他们看到了什么?

What did they see?

他到底做到了什么,是大多数人做不到的?

What was he able to do that most people were not?
M2
M217:07

嗯,债券业务是一个利润率非常低的行业。

Well, the bond business is one where it's a very small margin business.

而基本上,他们搭建了一个平台,在研究方面做得相当不错。

And basically they built a platform that was pretty good in research.

他们的回报大概也不错,但不一定比别人好多少。

They had returns that were probably good, but not necessarily much better than others.

不过他们后来还是买了一些东西,他们做了一些收购。

But they ultimately bought some—they made some acquisitions.

他们收购了 Merrill Lynch 的资产管理业务。

They bought Merrill Lynch's asset management business.

后来他们又收购了 Barclays Global Investors 业务。

They ultimately bought the Barclays Global Investors business.

通过这些收购,他们也把这些业务管理得相当不错。

And by making these acquisitions, they were able to manage them pretty well.

所以,收购一家公司并拥有它是一回事,收购之后既拥有它又能把它管好,又是另一回事。

And so it's one thing to buy things and have them, another thing to buy them and have them and manage them well.

而且当你的规模像他们那么大时,你很难留住人才,因为大家会觉得自己没有拿到足够的报酬。

And when you get to be as big as they are, you have a hard time retaining people because they feel they're not getting adequately paid.

回报不够。

They're not rewarded enough.

所以他把这家公司一直维持得相当不错。

So he's done a pretty good job of keeping this going.
M1
M117:45

你和 Larry Fink 谈过 ESG investing,也就是 environmental, social, and governance。

You talked to Larry Fink about ESG investing, environmental, social, and governance.

就是关注这些问题。

Kind of being concerned about those issues.

有,有——那已经变成一个更有争议的领域了。

There's, there's— that's become a more controversial area.

共和党人担心企业太 woke 了。

Republicans are concerned companies are too woke.

你怎么看待——。

How do you think about—.
M2
M217:56

对不熟悉投资世界的人来说,ESG 已经成了其中一个重要因素。

For people who aren't familiar with the investment world, ESG has become a major factor in it.

E 代表 environment,S 代表 social,G 代表 governance。

E stands for environment, S stands for social, and G stands for governance.

这个概念是,历史上如果你是投资人,你想要拿到你在法律允许范围内能拿到的最高回报率。

And the idea is that historically, if you were an investor, you wanted to get the highest rate of return you could get legally.

所以你基本上会去投石油钻探,或者任何可能破坏大气层的东西。

And so you would basically invest in oil drilling or anything that might destroy the atmosphere.

你其实不怎么在乎。

You don't really care.

你只想拿到尽可能高的回报。

You're just going to get the highest return you could.

最近,开始非常重视 ESG 影响,也就是环境影响、治理影响,以及一家公司的多元和包容影响。

The concept of worrying about the ESG impact, the environmental impact, the governance impact, the diversity and inclusion impact of a company has become very important recently.

Larry Fink 一直是 ESG 领域的重要领军人物。

And Larry Fink has been a big leader in ESG.

而且正如你说的,现在人们在说,嗯,也许这不是什么好事,因为我们太过关注 ESG,以至于当 Russia 入侵 Ukraine 的时候,因为我们一直太担心可再生能源,也许就没有足够的 oil 和 gas 去帮助 Germany 以及 Eastern Europe 或 Western Europe 的其他地区供能了。

And as you suggest, now people are saying, well, maybe that's not such a good thing because we worried so much about ESG that now when Ukraine is invaded by Russia, because we've been worried about renewables so much, maybe there isn't enough oil and gas to help fuel Germany and other parts of Eastern or Western Europe.

所以有些人开始重新思考,我们是不是把 ESG 看得太重了,以至于可能忽视了我们本来还应该重视的其他一些价值。

So some people have been rethinking whether we're focusing so much on ESG that we're maybe losing sight of some other values we should have.

但总的来说,我觉得 ESG 作为投资领域的一个因素,差不多是会长期存在的。

But on the whole, I think ESG is more or less here to stay as a factor in the investment world.

而且一直以来的理论都是,如果你很在意 ESG,你的回报率就会更低,因为从定义上说,你排除掉了一些你本来可以投资的东西。

And the theory always was if you worry about ESG, you'll get a lower rate of return because by definition you're excluding certain things you could invest in.

我在书里通过采访 ESG 领域的领军人物 David Blood 指出,实际上,他们的回报率比平均回报率还要高。

I point out in the book by interviewing David Blood, who's a leader in ESG, that actually their rates of return have been higher than the average rates of return.

所以如果你专注于这一块,还是能做出相当不错的回报。

So you can make pretty good returns in this area if you focus on it.
M1
M119:23

他说我不发 email,因为如果每时每刻都有东西在你那儿滴滴响,你就没法读东西、没法专注、没法思考公司的长期价值,你只会不断被当下的噪音卷进去。

He says I don't email, because if every moment something's beeping at you, instead of being able to read and concentrate and think about the long-term values of companies, you're constantly swept up in the current noise.

这说得通吗?

Does that make sense?

要做到那种程度的专注,才行吗,嗯,才能——。

Does it take that kind of focus to, well, to be—.
M2
M219:40

John Rogers,给不熟悉他的人介绍一下,他是一位非裔美国商人。

John Rogers, for those who don't know him, is an African-American businessman.

我和他一起在 University of Chicago 的董事会共事过。

I served with him on the University of Chicago board.

他曾是 Princeton 篮球队的队长。

He was the captain of the Princeton basketball team.

他是 Barack Obama 的好朋友,也是篮球搭档之一,因为他对投资有一种近乎痴迷的执念,所以没有加入 Obama 政府团队。

He's a very good friend and basketball colleague of Barack Obama, chose not to go into the Obama administration because he really has this obsession with investing.

他就像 Warren Buffett 那样,是个价值投资者,而且他打造了世界上最大的非裔美国人拥有的投资公司。

He's like a value investor like Warren Buffett, and he built the largest African-American-owned investment company in the world.

他只是在大学毕业两年后就创办了这家公司。

He started it only 2 years out of college.

那时候这么做相当大胆,而现在这家公司已经非常非常大,也非常成功。他这个人有一点很不寻常,他是 McDonald's 董事会成员,所以为了表示忠诚,他每天都去 McDonald's 吃一顿饭,已经坚持了 20 年,而且看起来身体还挺健康,所以。

When it was fairly audacious to do that, and now it's very, very large, very successful, and he's a person who, he doesn't, he's unusual in one respect, he's on the board of McDonald's, and to be a loyal person, he goes to McDonald's for one meal a day every single day, and he's been doing this for 20 years, and he seems to be reasonably healthy, so.
M1
M120:32

你采访过 John Gray,他是 Blackstone 的总裁,Blackstone 是另一家大型 private equity 公司。

You interviewed John Gray, who's the president of Blackstone, another big private equity firm.

他是从 real estate 业务一路做上来的,而且那块业务就是他在公司里搭建起来的。

He came up through the real estate practice, which he built there.

你知道吧,他在你的书里讲过一个故事,说他刚开始做那行的时候,真的是在亲自检查每一处房产的细节。

You know, he tells a story in your book about when he was starting out in that line of business, really kicking the tires of individual properties.

你知道吗,现在他们做的是几十亿美元级别的交易。

You know, now they're, you know, they do tens of billions of dollars deals.

一开始,那只是一个 600 万美元的购物中心,他会把每个租户都面试一遍,还会数停车场里的车。

At first, it was a $6 million shopping center, and he was interviewing every tenant and counting the cars in the parking lot.

是不是可以说,从小做起、边做边学,是有道理的?

Is there something to be said for kind of starting small and learning?
M2
M220:59

嗯,通常你都得从小做起。

Well, it's usually you have to start small.

Jon Gray,可能有些人不认识他,他是芝加哥人,在 Penn 的 Wharton 本科毕业,之后去了 Blackstone,那时候 Blackstone 还非常非常小。

Jon Gray, for those who don't know, is a person from Chicago, went to Wharton undergrad at Penn, and then went to Blackstone when Blackstone was very, very small.

我想他是 1992 年加入的。

I think he joined in 1992.

Blackstone 我记得是 1986 年成立的。

Blackstone was started in 1986, I think.

所以他当时做的是 M&A 和 investment banking,后来他们决定买一些 real estate 里的物业,他也就进去了,然后他把它做成了全世界最大的一家单一 real estate 业务。

And so he was doing M&A and investment banking, but then they decided to buy some properties in real estate and he got into it and he built the largest single real estate business in the entire world.

我觉得 Blackstone 现在管理的 real estate 资产大概有 2000 亿美元,他也做过一些非常惊人的交易。

I think Blackstone now manages maybe $200 billion in real estate assets and he's done some spectacular deals.

而且现在他是 Blackstone 的 president,基本上是日常在管理公司。

And now he's the president of Blackstone and essentially running it day to day.

他还非常热心公益,人也非常非常有才华,很讨人喜欢。

He's also very philanthropic and very, very talented, likable person.

他在这本书里讲过一笔交易,他当时去替 Blackstone 买下 Hilton Hotels,作为一笔 real estate 和 corporate deal 的一部分。

He talked about a deal in the book where he went and bought Hilton Hotels for Blackstone as part of a real estate and corporate deal.

而且在 Great Recession 期间,Hilton 一路往下走,看起来可能会破产,他的职业生涯也可能跟着一起完蛋。

And Blackstone, during the Great Recession, Hilton was going this way and it looked like it might go bankrupt and his career might go with it.

但他,他们把它扭转过来了。

But he, they turned it around.

结果那成了历史上最成功的 buyout deal。

It turned out to be the most successful buyout deal in history.

他们赚了 140 亿美元利润,这已经相当不错了。

They made a $14 billion profit, which is not bad.
M1
M121:59

你也和 Sam Zell 谈过,他是位传奇的 real estate 投资人,个性非常鲜明。

You also spoke with Sam Zell, who's a legendary real estate investor, very colorful character.

你知道,他同样是一位极其成功的 real estate 投资人,但去做 Tribune 的媒体业务时,成绩就没那么好了。

You know, he, again, highly successful real estate investor, less successfully tried to go in the media business with Tribune.

real estate 和管理其他类型的业务,有什么不同吗?

Is there something different about real estate and managing other types?
M2
M222:13

嗯,他是一个非常非常标志性的、经典的 real estate 人物。

Well, he was a very, very iconic classic real estate person.

而且他非常直接,也非常有个性。

And he's very direct and very colorful.

他写过一本书,书名好像叫《Am I Being Too Subtle?》之类的。

He wrote a book, the title of which is Am I Being Too Subtle? or something like that.

他说话很直接,而且会用一些我们在这个场合不会用的词。

He's very direct and uses some words he won't, we won't use on this stage.

不过呢,你知道,他现在都 80 多岁了,还在骑着摩托车环游世界。

But also, you know, now in his 80s, he's still riding motorcycles around the world.

他基本上是在和 Jon Gray 做的一笔重大 real estate 交易中站在了另一边,他把全世界最大的 real estate 公司卖掉了,估值大约 290 亿美元,还因此赚了很多钱。

He basically was on the other side of a major real estate deal with Jon Gray, and he sold the largest real estate company in the world at about a $29 billion valuation, made a lot of money doing it.

但正如你说的,他后来又拿了其中一部分收益去买下 Chicago Tribune,结果破产了。

But he, as you suggest, he went and then bought some of the proceeds to buy the Chicago Tribune and went bankrupt.

所以我会说,他并不是样样都擅长。

So he wasn't good at everything, I'd say.

我觉得这是这本书里反复出现的一个主题,那就是没有人能一直样样都强。

I think that's a recurring theme in this book, that nobody's great at everything all the time.

没人能。

Nobody.

每个人都有自己的失败。

Everybody has their failures.

而这个诀窍,是我身上没有的一个特质。

And the trick is something that I don't have the trait of.

我提到了 Amazon 那笔交易。

I mentioned the Amazon deal.

我提到了 Facebook 那笔交易,因为我到现在,十年、二十年、三十年后还在想这些事。

I mentioned the, the Facebook deal because I'm still thinking about these 10 and 20 and 30 years later.

真正厉害的投资人,下一分钟就已经去想下一件事了。

The really great investors, they go on to the next thing the next minute.

而且当他们做了一笔糟糕的交易,或者做了一笔糟糕的 deal,他们会说,行,我犯了个错误。

And when they make a bad trade or make a bad deal, they say, OK, I made a mistake.

我从中学到了。

I learned from it.

接着去做下一件事。

Go on to the next thing.

然后他们再也不会提这件事。

And they never talk about it again.

我没有这个特质。

I don't have that trait.

我就喜欢十年、二十年、三十年后还拿出来说。

I love to talk about it for 20 or 30 years later.
M1
M123:24

所以这又回到了我们前面聊的,那就是要经历一些失败,并且从中学习。

So this ties back to what we talked about earlier about having some failures and learning from them.

你采访过 Ray Dalio,就是 Bridgewater 的创始人,这也是全世界最大的 hedge fund 之一。

You spoke with Ray Dalio, the founder of Bridgewater, one of the biggest hedge funds in the world.

我呢,先稍微讲一点他的故事。

And, you know, I'll tell a little bit about his story.

他说他高中时不是个很好的学生。

He says he wasn't a very good student in high school.

他第一份在一家投资公司的工作里,有一次他和老板在跨年夜派对上吵了起来,还喝得有点多,然后他一拳打了老板。

In his first job at an investment firm, he and his boss got in an argument at a New Year's Eve party and got a little drunk, and he punched his boss.
M2
M223:45

对。

Yes.
M1
M123:46

最后他就创办了 Bridgewater。

Ends up starting Bridgewater.

1982 年,他做出过一个很大的判断错误,差点把公司搞垮。

He made in 1982 a big error of judgment that almost sunk the firm.

跟我讲讲这类——

Tell me about those kinds of—.
M2
M223:53

好,所以 Ray Dalio 来自 Long Island,高中时是个糟糕透顶的学生,勉强进了 Long Island University,不过他在那里表现还不错,后来又进了 Harvard Business School。

OK, so Ray Dalio is from Long Island, was a terrible high school student, barely got into Long Island University, but he did reasonably well there and got into Harvard Business School subsequently.

然后他创办了一个叫 Bridgewater 的 hedge fund,这是全世界最大的 hedge fund。

But he built a hedge fund called Bridgewater, which is the largest hedge fund in the world.

我来解释一下这是什么意思。

And let me explain what this means.

在 hedge fund 这个领域里,通常一家 hedge fund 会有四五年、六年的好日子,但之后就会经历一段低谷,而且很多时候最后就倒闭了。

In the hedge fund world, you typically have a hedge fund that will do well for 4 or 5, 6 years, but then has a bad spell, and very often they go out of business.

它已经经营了 50 年,50 年了,而且现在管理的资产已经大约有 1500 亿美元。

It's been in business for 50 years, 50 years, and it's managed up now about $150 billion.

而在全世界所有 hedge fund 里,所有的 hedge fund 里,他这家是最赚钱的,给投资人带来了最多的利润。

And of all the hedge funds in the world, of all of them, his has been the most profitable, produced the greatest profits for investors.

不过你刚才也提到了,他也有过低谷。

But he had his downside, as you mentioned.

一开始,他,他一拳打在了老板脸上。

Early on, he, he punched his boss in the face.

因为这件事,他第二天就被开除了。

He got fired the next day for that.

后来他把自己所有的钱都赔光了。

He then lost all of his money.

他不得不去找父亲借钱付房租,但最后他还是发展出了一套自己用的办法,也就是他所谓的 principles,他还建立起了这家不可思议的公司,而这家公司要求大量的自我反省,还要非常深入地分析自己犯过的错误,这就是他建立公司、也用来过自己人生的原则体系,他是个非常了不起的人。

Had to go to his father to borrow money to pay the rent, but ultimately he had techniques that he used, principles he calls, and he's built this incredible firm, and it requires a lot of self-reflection in the firm, and it's very intensive analysis about mistakes you've made, and this is how the principles on which he's built his firm and lived his life, very impressive person.
M1
M124:57

所以我想提两个人,就是你采访过的两位,我觉得他们在书里是前后挨着写的。如果你仔细读,会发现他们说的话在某种程度上几乎是直接相反的。

So I'm gonna mention 2 people you interviewed, who I believe back-to-back in the book, who said, if you read carefully, kind of directly opposite things a little bit.

所以我想让你来谈谈这个。

So I'm going to get you to weigh in.

Stan Druckenmiller 和 George Soros 一起共事过,他说,你要成为一个很棒的投资人,其实只需要大概 120 的 IQ,只要你有非凡的工作伦理就够了。

Stan Druckenmiller worked with George Soros, said you only need about 120 IQ to be a great investor so long as you have an extraordinary work ethic.

你还采访了 Jim Simons,Renaissance Technologies 的创始人,他是那种智商高到离谱的数学家。

You also talked to Jim Simons, the founder of Renaissance Technologies, off-the-charts brilliant mathematician.

成为一个伟大的投资人,难道就只是有不同的形式吗?

Are there just different forms of being a great investor?
M2
M225:22

嗯,不同的——我把这些类别分成了不同类型的投资。

Well, different-- I divided the categories into different types of investing.

所以 Jim Simons,没听过他的人可能不知道,他是一位世界级的数学家,不是还不错的那种,而是世界级的。

So Jim Simons, for those who don't know, was a world-class mathematician, not a pretty good mathematician, but world-class.

他是全世界前 10 的数学家之一,而且他在 29 岁还是 30 岁的时候,就已经是 Stony Brook 和 New York University 数学系的系主任了。

One of the top 10 mathematicians in the entire world, and he was the chairman of the board of the math department at Stony Brook and, and New York University at the age of 29 or 30.

后来过了一阵子,他对做数学有点厌倦了,然后他算是偶然通过数学走进了投资,靠量化算法去判断,基本上哪里存在效率低下。

And after a while, he got tired of doing mathematics, and he kind of stumbled into investing in-- through mathematics and using quantitative algorithms to decide essentially where there's an inefficiency.

而今天,这已经成了一个巨大的行业,也就是说,人们用数学能力或者量化能力去找出市场哪里有低效,然后通常会通过电脑交易迅速进场,在这种低效被抹平之前先进去。

And today, this is a gigantic industry, which is to say mathematics or quantitative skills are used to figure out where there's a market inefficiency and you get in there quickly through a computer trade typically before the inefficiency is closed.

而且在过去 30 年里,他已经创造了惊人的回报率。

And he's made staggering rates of return for the last 30 years.

他在自己主要的内部基金上的年回报率一直是 40%。

He's had a rate of return on his main internal fund of 40% a year.

所以每年 40% 已经相当不错了。

So 40% a year is pretty good.

不过他是个特立独行的人。

And so, but he's iconoclastic.

他从来不穿袜子。

He doesn't wear socks ever.
M1
M126:23

而且是在穿黑领结的正式场合。

And in black tie settings.
M2
M226:25

对,我采访过他。

And yeah, I interviewed him.

我们给了他一个小时。

We gave him an hour.

我和他一起在 Institute for Advanced Study 的董事会任职,就是 Albert Einstein 教过书的那个地方。

We were together on the board of the Institute for Advanced Study where Albert Einstein taught.

而且他——Einstein 也从来不穿袜子。

And he-- Einstein never wore socks either.

他的理论是,大脚趾最后总会把袜子顶出一个洞来。

His theory was that the big toe will eventually push a hole into the socks.

那又何必穿袜子呢?

So why bother with socks anyway?

反正迟早会破个洞。

They're going to get a hole.

但这个家伙在一场黑领结晚宴上,我采访他的时候低头一看。

But this guy at a black tie dinner, I interviewed him and I looked down.

他脚上没穿袜子。

He had no socks on.

让我吃惊的是,他一天还抽两包烟。

He also, to my amazement, he smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day.

而且他还自己随身带着烟灰缸,你就会想,你知道,这样做聪明吗?

And he carries around his own ashtray and you kind of say, you know, is this a smart thing to do?

但你是改变不了他的。

But you're not going to change him.

他是个非常聪明的人,赚了惊人的一大笔钱,不过现在他已经把这些都捐出去了。

He's a very smart person who's made a staggering amount of money, but he's giving it all away at this point.
M1
M127:01

但这是不是意味着——光有工作伦理,还有,你知道,足够的智力,就够了——

But does it take-- is work ethic alone and, you know, reasonable intelligence enough to--.
M2
M227:05

总是很容易会想,哎,你其实不用那么拼命工作。

It's always tempting to say, look, you don't have to work that hard.

你知道,你妈妈可能会说,别工作得那么辛苦。

You know, your mother might say don't work so hard.

但事实是,努力工作真的会让你走得比不努力工作更远。

But the truth is hard work is really going to get you further than not hard work.

而且我宁愿投资那些聪明又勤奋的人,也不愿投资那些懒惰、又没那么聪明的人。

And I'd rather invest with people that are smart and hardworking than people that are lazy and not that smart.

一般来说,勤奋、聪明的人,可能会比那些懒惰、又不太聪明的人给你赚更多钱,你知道,这只是一般性的经验法则。

As a general rule of thumb, hardworking, smart people will probably make you more money than lazy people who aren't that smart, you know, as a general rule of thumb.

而 Jim 非常非常聪明。

And Jim is very, very smart.
M1
M127:31

所以,呃,有两件事,来自两个不同的章节,呃,呃,我觉得它们有点相似。

So, uh, 2 things from, from 2 different chapters that, uh, that, that kind of struck me as similar.

所以 Stan Druckenmiller,呃,和 George Soros 做过一笔很有名的交易,把 Bank of England 都打垮了。

So Stan Druckenmiller, uh, had a famous trade with George Soros that broke the Bank of England.

1992 年的时候,他是在做空 British pound。

He was betting against the British pound in 1992.

John Paulson 最有名的是在楼市繁荣期押注美国房贷会出问题,结果你知道,他靠这笔交易赚了很多很多钱。

John Paulson famously bet against U.S. mortgages in the housing boom and, you know, made a great deal of money from doing that.

他们俩都把那形容成一种机会:如果他们的判断是对的,下行风险很小,但上行回报却巨大。

Both of them described that as an opportunity where they saw a relatively small potential loss but a huge potential gain if they were right in their thesis.
M2
M227:59

对,这种交易叫做非对称交易,意思是下行那边,如果你判断错了,可能只会亏掉 1%、2% 或 3% 的钱,但如果上涨那边,你可能赚到 100 倍。

Yeah, these are called asymmetric trades where on the downside you might lose 1 or 2 or 3% of the money if you, if you're wrong, but on the upside you might make 100 times your money.

所以你提到的那笔交易里,John Paulson 做出了 Wall Street 历史上最大、也是最赚钱的一笔交易。

So in the trade you allude to, John Paulson made the biggest, most profitable trade in the history of Wall Street.

他是做空次级房贷,基本上是把结构设计对了,结果自己和投资人总共大约赚了 200 亿美元,这可是一大笔钱。

He bet against subprime mortgages and basically guessed right the way he structured it and made roughly for himself and his investors roughly $20 billion, which is a lot of money.

另一笔交易是 Stan Druckenmiller。

The other trade is Stan Druckenmiller.

你们可能都记得,也可能不记得,1992 年的时候,British pound 承受着压力,Druckenmiller 当时在给 George Soros 做事,George Soros 是个非常有名的 hedge fund 人物。

You may all remember, maybe not remember, in 1992 the British pound was, was under pressure and Druckenmiller went, was working for George Soros, a very famous hedge fund person.

他就说,我们应该做空 British pound。

And he said we should short the British pound.

George Soros 听了这个理由之后说,好,但我们要加码,做得更大一点。

And George Soros listened to the argument and said, OK, but let's double down and do it more.

而 George Soros 这个著名投资人,一直都说,如果你有一个特别好的想法,而这种机会来得很少,那就加码,再加码,因为你很少能碰到一个好到这样的想法。

And George Soros's argument, a famous investor, would always say if you have a really good idea, they come along rarely, double down, triple down on it, because rarely are you going to get a great idea.

如果你有一个绝佳的想法,就把你能投的钱尽量都投进去。

If you have a great idea, put as much money as you can into it.

他们在那笔交易里就是这么做的。

And that's what they did there.

然后他们确实大赚了一笔,当时那已经被认为是一笔巨款,英国 British pound 被迫贬值的时候,他们赚了 10 亿美元。

And they kind of made a fortune, what was then considered a fortune, $1 billion when the British pound had to be devalued.
M1
M129:01

你觉得 John Paulson 怎么样,他做成了一笔惊人的交易,给投资人赚了很多钱,也给他自己赚了很多钱。

How much do you think John Paulson, who has an amazing trade that makes his investors a lot of money, makes him a lot of money.

这能多大程度上预测他未来还会成功?

How much does that predict future success?

这又有多大程度算是一种可以复制的过程?

How much is that a replicable kind of process?
M2
M229:12

嗯,你知道,通常很少会出现这种情况:如果你做成了世界上最棒的一笔交易,你之后还能再做成一笔同样棒的交易。

Well, it's, you know, it's rarely the case if you have the greatest trade in the world, you're going to make another trade as great.

John Paulson 从那以后,就再也没有取得过那样的成功。

John Paulson hasn't had a success as good as that one since then.

而 Stan Druckenmiller 虽然做得也非常不错,但他现在已经不再替别人管钱了。

And while Stan Druckenmiller has done very well, he now is not managing money for other people.

所以很难判断他到底有多成功。

So it's hard to know how successful he is.

但一般来说,如果一个人已经赚了不少钱,也知道自己在做什么,而且还愿意继续努力工作,那他将来大概率还是会做得不错。

But as a general rule of thumb, if somebody has made a fair amount of money and they know what they're doing and they're still willing to work hard at it, they'll probably do well in the future.

他们可能没有 John Paulson 那样惊人的交易,但一般来说,做这行的人,靠这个吃饭就是干这个的。

They may not have as heroic a deal as John Paulson had, but generally people that do this, this is what they do for a living.

他们很享受。

They enjoy it.

他们不会只是说,行吧,我现在要去海边躺着了。

They don't just say, OK, now I'm going to go sit on the beach.

他们都是挺勤奋的人。

They're pretty hardworking people.

而且一般来说,勤奋的人都很聪明,人生通常也都过得不错。

And as a general rule, hardworking people are smart, generally do pretty well in life.
M1
M129:52

所以你书里有很多人都在讲团队合作,讲设立投资委员会,让决策以协作的方式做出来。

So a lot of the people in your book talk about teamwork and having investment committees that reach decisions in a collaborative way.

我猜 Carlyle 大多数时候就是这么运作的。

I gather that's how it works at Carlyle most of the time.

著名的风险投资人 Marc Andreessen,描述了他公司里另一种做法。

Marc Andreessen, a famous venture capitalist, describes a different approach at his firm.

Andreessen Horowitz 有二十二个不同的 general partners,他们每个人在一定额度内都有权自己做投资决定。

Twenty-two different general partners at Andreessen Horowitz, they all have authority to make an investment decision on their own up to a certain threshold.

那更强调个人主导的做法,和——相比,利弊是什么?

What are the tradeoffs of the more individualistic versus—.
M2
M230:14

嗯,在 venture capital 领域、private equity 领域、buyout 领域,一般都会有委员会,而且委员会通常得全票通过,至少也得达成共识,但通常还是要全票通过。

Well, in the venture capital world, the private equity world, the buyout world, generally you have committees and the committees generally have to operate by unanimity, certainly consensus, but even typically unanimity.

你说的这种,是 Marc 那家公司的做法,公司里的 partners 可以自己挑要投什么项目。

What you're referring to is at Marc's firm, the partners in the firm can pick the investments to make themselves.

换句话说,如果他们真的对某个项目特别看好,但委员会把它否了,他们还是可以拿出公司一部分资金投进去。

In other words, if they really feel strongly about something and the committee has turned it down, they can allocate a certain amount of the firm's capital to it.

这就有点不太常见。

That's a little bit unusual.

我在书里提到的另一家公司 Sequoia Capital,就是所有人都得同意,不然这笔交易就做不成。

At another firm that I reference in the book, Sequoia Capital, everybody has to agree to it or the deal doesn't get done.

Marc Andreessen,可能你们有些人听说过他,他是个很有名的 venture capitalist,不过他也是 Netscape 的联合创始人。

Marc Andreessen, for some of you may have heard of him, he's a very famous venture capitalist, but he co-founded a company called Netscape.

这又是我犯的另一个错误。

And this is another one of my mistakes.

他是被人带到我在 Carlyle 的办公室来的。

He was brought to me in my office at Carlyle.

他那时候刚大学毕业。

He was just out of college.

我记得他穿着凉鞋和牛仔裤,头发特别长,看起来就像个大学生。

He came in with, I think, you know, sandals and jeans and very long hair and looked like a college kid.

我还以为他是带他来的那个人的儿子,而那个人是个非常有名的 venture——是硅谷一位非常有名的高管。

I thought he was the son of the man who was bringing him in, who was a very famous venture— a very famous Silicon Valley executive.

他叫 James Clark,就是他创办了 Silicon Graphics。

And his name was James Clark, who built Silicon Graphics.

他们说,希望我们在 Carlyle 投资一家要去“导航” internet 的公司。

And they said that they wanted to get us to invest at Carlyle in a company that was going to navigate the internet.

我们还很聪明地说,那 internet 是什么,我们为什么要去导航它?

And we brilliantly said, well, what is the internet and why would we want to navigate it?

我们根本不懂。

And we didn't understand it.

但后来他们又想让我们投——那家公司还没有收入,也还没有员工。

But then they wanted us to— for a company had no revenue, no employees yet.

他们想把那家公司估值到大概 1.25 亿美元。

They wanted us to value the company at basically $125 million.

我们很机智地说,不,那太荒唐了。

And we smartly said, no, that's ridiculous.

他们后来又回来, 我记得是 7500 万美元。

They came back later, I think at $75 million.

我们又拒绝了。

We turned it down again.

那后来就成了 Netscape,他们把它以 45 亿美元卖给了 AOL。

That became Netscape, and they sold it to AOL for $4.5 billion.
M1
M131:40

所以,所以,所以你问了你很多受访对象关于 cryptocurrency 和 blockchain 的看法。

So, so, so you asked a lot of your interview subjects about cryptocurrency and blockchain.

我觉得可以说,大多数人都挺怀疑的,而且你做这些采访的时候,那个市场正火得不行。

I think it's fair to say a majority were pretty skeptical, and you were doing these interviews when that market was very hot.

后来情况……

How have things...
M2
M231:54

怎么看?

What's the view?

一般来说,40 岁以上的人都相当怀疑,40 岁以下的人就没那么怀疑。

As a general rule of thumb, people over the age of 40 are fairly skeptical, and people under the age of 40 are less skeptical.

而且这往往是因为,这真的是个很新的概念。

And that's often because this is a very novel idea.

John Paulson 非常讨厌 cryptocurrency。

John Paulson hates cryptocurrencies.

但我采访过 Mike Novogratz,我记得他一度持有价值 100 亿到 120 亿美元的 bitcoin。

But I interviewed Mike Novogratz, who at one point I think had $10 or $12 billion of bitcoin.

所以他是在非常低的价位买入的。

And so he bought it at very low prices.

所以我自己的看法是,cryptocurrencies 不适合胆子小的人。

So my own view is that cryptocurrencies are not for the faint of heart.

这非常复杂,而且你可能会把钱全赔光。你要是去 Las Vegas,又愿意花点钱,而且知道自己大概率会输,那你也可以拿同样一笔钱去投 crypto,也许你就不会失望,因为你享受的是这个过程的乐趣。

It's very complicated, and you might lose all your money. If you go to Las Vegas and you're willing to spend some money and you know you're going to lose, then you can allocate the same amount of money to crypto, and maybe you won't be disappointed because you enjoy the fun of it.

但对那些真想赚钱的人来说,我觉得 crypto 里迟早还是能赚到钱的。

But for people who are serious about making money, I think there is money to be made at some point in crypto.

不过还得先经历一段时间的洗牌。

It's going to be shaking out for a while.

前几天我为我自己的一个电视节目采访了 Sam Bankman-Fried,他 30 岁,曾经一度身家达到 220 亿美元。

I interviewed the other day for a TV show I have Sam Bankman-Fried, who is 30 years old and had a fortune at one point of $22 billion.

基本上,他创建了 FTX,那是领先的 crypto exchange。

Basically, he built FTX, which is a leading crypto exchange.

这真的更适合年轻人。

It's really for younger people.

而且我觉得美国 Congress 不太可能去监管它,因为我觉得这个行业里很多人都很积极地参与政治。

And I think the Congress of the United States is unlikely to regulate it because I think many of the people who are in this business are fairly active politically.

他们是 libertarian,倾向于更偏 Republican,但在某些方面又比较 Democratic。

They're libertarian, tend to be maybe more Republican, Democratic in some respects.

而且我觉得,他们真的已经让 Congress 相信,这就是未来的趋势。

And they've really, I think, gotten Congress excited that this is the wave of the future.

我们不应该把它管得太严。

And we shouldn't overregulate it.

所以我觉得不会有什么监管能在短期内把它搞到没法做生意。

So I don't see any regulation that's going to put it out of business anytime soon.
M1
M133:10

我还要再问 David 一个问题,不过我们可以先排队。大家大概有 10 分钟来提问。

I'm going to ask one more question of David, but we can line up. We have about 10 minutes for your questions.

好,我们知道,你在这本书里写了很多人。

Okay, we've, you know, you cover a lot of people in this book.

还有谁是我没提到的?

Who have I not covered?

你希望大家认识谁,是我们还没聊到的?

Who would you like people to know about who we've not discussed?
M2
M233:21

嗯,Michael Moritz 是一个人,他帮助建立了世界上最大、最成功的 venture firm,叫 Sequoia。

Well, Michael Moritz is a person who built, helped to build the largest, most successful venture firm in the world called Sequoia.

他的背景很特别。

He has an unusual background.

他的父母是大屠杀幸存者。

His parents were Holocaust survivors.

他在 Wales 长大,而我想,在 Wales 你应该看不到太多 Jewish refugees。

He grew up in Wales, which is not where you see a lot of Jewish refugees, I would think, in Wales.

不过他来到美国后,在这边上了大学,或者说是在这边读了研究生,最后成了纽约《Time》杂志的一名记者,写过一些关于科技的报道,后来就离开了那一行,进入了风险投资这个行业。

But he came to the United States, went to college here, and— or went to graduate school here, and ultimately became a reporter in New York for Time magazine, wrote some stories about technology, and ultimately got out of that and got into the business of venture capital.

而且,你知道,他把钱投进了我们这个时代一些最伟大的风险投资项目里。

And he, you know, he put money into some of the greatest venture capital deals of our time.

比如说像 Amazon 或者 Google 这样的。

Let's say things like Amazon or Google.

所以他们赚了很多钱,而且他们非常,可能是最成功的风投公司。

And so they made a lot of money and they're very— maybe the most successful venture firm.
M1
M134:03

好,我们从这边开始。

All right, let's start on this side of the room.
M2
M234:04

嗨,谢谢你们来。

Hey there, thanks for coming.
M1
M134:06

我很好奇,你谈到的这些投资者基本上都是工作狂,你在其他采访里也这么描述过。

I'm curious about the investors that you've talked about are essentially workaholics and you've described that in other interviews.
M2
M234:13

对。

Right.
M1
M134:14

那他们不工作、也不睡觉的时候,平时喜欢做什么?

So when they're not working and they're not sleeping, what do they like to do?

比如说 Warren Buffett 就喜欢打桥牌。

Warren Buffett likes to play bridge, for instance.
M2
M234:20

对,嗯,他们其实都还有别的事情。

Yeah, well, they all have some other things.

有些人打高尔夫,这项运动我不玩,但他们整体上确实都很勤奋,不过他们也会有一些空闲时间。我觉得他们现在往往会把时间花在慈善上,或者有些人会收藏艺术品之类的,但一般来说他们不会什么都不做,他们每个人都有别的事可做。Warren Buffett 他据说每晚要打三四个小时桥牌,这在我看来,嗯,感觉不像是我会花很多时间去做的事,我也不会打桥牌。

Some people play golf, a sport that I don't do, but they generally tend to be hardworking people, but they do have some time off, and they, I would say they tend to spend time on philanthropy now, or some of them have collections of art or whatever it might be, but generally they don't have nothing else, they all have something else they do, and Warren Buffett, he suggests, he plays bridge I think three or four hours a night, which to me, you know, seems like not a way I'd spend a lot of my time, I don't know how to play bridge.

不过显然,这可能很管用。

But obviously it may work.

你知道,我以前有个故事,有一次我想到这事,我听说过 Warren Buffett 和 Bill Gates。

You know, so there's a story one time I, you know, I was thinking of, I heard about Warren Buffett and Bill Gates.

他们在给某个人打电话,然后那个人说,咱们给这些女孩打电话吧。

They were calling somebody and somebody said, let's call the girls.

于是大家就说,Warren Buffett 和 Bill Gates 要给这些女孩打电话。

And people were saying, Warren Buffett and Bill Gates are calling the girls.

我们当时还在想这是什么意思。

And we were wondering what it was.

其实他们是要叫上这些和他们一起打桥牌的女牌手,那天晚上她们正好有空。

They have these female bridge players that they play bridge with and they had a free evening one evening.

所以他们把这些女牌手请过来,她们的水平比他们高得多。

So they're bringing these female bridge players up who are much better players than they were.

据说 Warren Buffett 对桥牌相当认真。

They're pretty— Warren Buffett is pretty serious about bridge, apparently.
M1
M135:20

下午好。

Good afternoon.

我是一个大学生,学的是金融和法律。

So I'm a college student studying finance and law.

我基本上才刚开始自己的个人和职业发展。

I'm basically at the beginning of my personal and professional development.

你刚才谈到了职业道德、坚持不懈,以及从失败中学习的重要性。

You spoke about the importance of work ethic, perseverance, and being able to learn from failure.

我想问一下,你认为还有哪些技能或者性格特质,对你的成功也同样关键,但却被很多人严重忽视了。

I was wondering what other skills or character traits you believe were integral to your success that were largely overlooked by many people.
M2
M235:41

好,第一条,读书。

All right, one, read.

书不能读得太多。

You can't read too much.

我在这本书里谈到的所有人,他们都有极强的求知欲。

All the people in this book that I talk about, they all have an incredible thirst for knowledge.

他们什么都看,哪怕跟自己的日常生活没什么关系。

They will read anything, even if it's not relevant to their day-to-day lives.

他们就是觉得,学得再多都不算多,而且你永远不知道,什么时候这些知识会回过头来帮到你。

They just think you can't learn too much, and you never know what will come back and help you.

其次,我觉得是谦逊。

Secondly, I think humility.

我采访过的那些人,他们都做成了不少相当不错的事情。

The people I interviewed, they've accomplished a lot of pretty good things.

他们都很成功,也非常富有,但他们都挺谦逊。

They're pretty successful and very wealthy, but they're pretty humble.

而且,你知道,谦逊并不是我们国家所有领导人都具备的一种美德,正如我们所看到的那样。

And, you know, humility isn't a virtue that all of the leaders in our country have, as we have observed.

但我觉得这是一种很好的美德,因为他们确实都很谦逊。

But it's a virtue that I think is pretty good, as they are pretty humble.

我也觉得团队合作很重要。

And I also think teamwork is something important.

学会怎么和别人一起工作真的很重要,学会分享功劳也是他们很多人都具备的一种能力。

Learning how to work with other people is really important, and learning how to share the credit is something that a lot of them have.

他们通常不会老说“我、我、我”。

They don't usually talk about I, I, I.

他们会说“我们”,哪怕最后也许是他们自己做出了最好的决定。

They talk about we, even though maybe they made the best decision themselves.

他们往往会提到自己的合作伙伴。

They tend to talk about their partners.

所以这些就是其中一些事情,团队合作、分享功劳、承担责任、谦逊、阅读。

So those are some of the things - teamwork, sharing the credit, taking the blame, humility, reading.

还有,你知道,我觉得总体来说就是努力工作。

And, you know, I think generally hard work.
M1
M136:43

谢谢。

Thank you.
M2
M236:46

我想问一下,你能不能讲讲 university endowments。

I was wondering if you could talk about university endowments.
M1
M136:51

对。

Right.
M2
M236:52

更具体地说,就是那些你很欣赏的、在各个大学担任首席投资官的人,比如 Yale 的 David Swensen。

More specifically, those chief investment officers that you admire at various universities, such as David Swensen, who's at Yale.

对,好。

Yeah, okay.

那么对于那些不关注这门生意的人来说,在1900年,Yale 的 endowment 是1000万美元。

So for those who don't follow this business, in 1900, the endowment of Yale was $10 million.

Harvard 的 endowment 大约是500万美元,因为学费就能支付一切。

The endowment of Harvard was about $5 million, and because tuition paid for everything.

但随着大学规模越来越大,楼越来越多,学生越来越多,等等,而且他们还要补贴学生之类的,他们就需要建立 endowment,来为学费、研究、楼宇等等提供收入。

But as universities got to be bigger, more buildings, more students, and so forth, and they subsidized students and so forth, they needed to develop endowments that would provide income for tuitions and research and buildings and so forth.

于是 college endowment 就成了一件大事。

And so college endowments became a big thing.

Harvard 的 endowment,我是 Harvard Corporation Board 的成员,现在已经超过500亿美元了,这些钱我觉得都用在了非常好的地方。

Harvard's endowment - I'm on the Harvard Corporation Board - is now over $50 billion, and this money is used for, I think, very good purposes.

David Swensen 这个人是在33岁时被任命负责 Yale Endowment 的,他想出了一套管理 Yale Endowment 的方法,现在被称作 Yale model,或者 portfolio model,也就是说,把大量资金投到所谓的 alternative investments、private equity、venture capital,等等,同时还会给很多新公司提供种子投资,这样他就能拿到更好的条款。

David Swensen was a person who at the age of 33 was put in charge of the Yale Endowment, and he came up with a way of managing the Yale Endowment that now is called the Yale model or the portfolio model, which is to say put a heavy amount of money into so-called alternative investments, private equity, venture capital, and so forth, and also seeding a lot of new firms so he would get much better terms.

而这个模式现在在美国各地、全世界都在用,而且确实极大地影响了现在 college endowments 的管理方式。

And this model is one that's used around the United States now and around the world and has really dramatically influenced the way college endowments are managed now.

而且这些 endowment 很大,比过去大得多。

And they're, they're big, much bigger than they used to be.

最大的一些 endowment 包括 Harvard、Yale、Princeton、Stanford。

Some of the biggest endowments are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford.

它们都已经有300亿美元或更多。

They're all $30 billion or more.

这为很多奖学金之类的项目提供了资金。

And this pays for a lot of scholarships and so forth.

Swensen 不幸在去年因癌症去世了,但他培养了很多门生,其中一两个就在这本书里。

Swensen sadly died last year of cancer, but he created a lot of protégés and one or two of them are in the book.

我要提到其中一位,就是 Paula Volent,她以前为他工作,过去十年左右她一直在管理 Bowdoin Endowment,结果在管理 Bowdoin Endowment 时,她的业绩超过了所有那些顶级的 Ivy League endowment,包括 Yale 的那个,所以她,而且他还指出,她已经超越了老师,所以,你知道,她也在这本书里,而且是个非常令人印象深刻的人。

And one of them I'll mention is Paula Volent, who used to work for him, and the last 10 years or so she was managing the Bowdoin Endowment, and it turned out in managing the Bowdoin Endowment she outperformed all the fancy Ivy League endowments, including the Yale one, and so she, and he pointed out to her that she had exceeded the master, and so, you know, she's in the book, and a very impressive person.
M1
M138:49

嗨,我也是一名大学生,跟前面那位一样。

Hi, I'm also a college student, like the other guy before.

我们上的是同一所学校。

We go to the same school.

但是你个人对慈善的理念是什么?你会不会把自己在投资里用的原则也用到慈善上,比如选择资助哪些项目?

But what is your personal philosophy when it comes to philanthropy, and do you apply principles that you use in investing to your philanthropy, like choosing causes?
M2
M239:01

我对慈善的理念是,第二部分是什么?

My philosophy on philanthropy, and what's the second part?
M1
M139:05

你会把自己在投资里用的原则用来选择你的慈善项目吗?

Do you apply principles that you use in investing to choosing your philanthropic causes?

你会不会把投资里的原则用到慈善决策里?

Do you choose - use principles from your investing in philanthropic decisions?
M2
M239:18

我是 Giving Pledge 的最初签署人之一,而这个承诺要求你在去世时,或者在有生之年,捐出自己净资产的 50%。

I was an original signer of the Giving Pledge, and you're supposed to give away 50% of your net worth upon your death or during your lifetime.

当然,这是一件自愿的事。

Of course, it's a voluntary thing.

所以,如果你去世时一分钱都没捐,而且你也没有在遗嘱里这么写,他们也不能因此剥夺你的继承权。

And so if you die and you haven't given away any money and you don't do it in your will, they can't disinherit you.

所以,这是一件自愿的事。

So it's a voluntary thing.

我呢,你知道,我参与过很多我很在意的慈善项目。

I have, you know, I've been involved in a lot of philanthropic things I care about.

而且在这座城市里,我也一直在尽力帮忙,支持这里的一些组织,还有其他一些纪念碑和纪念馆。

And in this, in this city, I've tried to, you know, help out in some, some, some organizations here and other monuments and memorials.

但是我,你知道,我没有基金会。

But I, you know, I don't have a foundation.

都是我自己在做。

I do it all myself.

我大致知道自己想做什么。

I kind of know sort of what I want to do.

这些原则就是,你知道,先确保自己清楚自己感兴趣的是什么,努力去帮助别人,再通过拿回一些关于你所做事情的报告,看看自己是不是真的取得了进展。

And the principles are, you know, trying to make sure you know what you're interested in, trying to help other people, trying to figure out whether you've actually made progress by getting some reports back about what you've done.

但归根结底,我主要的慈善工作,是尽力回馈这个国家。正是这个国家让我有机会从普通的出身走到今天,所以我把大部分钱都捐了出来,我把这叫作 patriotic philanthropy,也就是回馈国家,提醒这个国家记住自己的历史和传承,也许还可以用同样的原则去做研究,弄清楚自己在做什么,多和很多人交流。

But in the end, my main philanthropic efforts are to try to give back to the country, which has made it possible for me to kind of come from modest circumstances, and so I'm giving back most of my money, in what I call patriotic philanthropy, which is to give back to the country, to remind the country of the history and heritage of the country, and maybe use the same principles of trying to do the research, know what you're doing, talk to a lot of people.

不过,这件事并没有什么完美的方法。

There's no perfect way of doing it though.

你知道,在慈善里,我们没有一个衡量标准。

You know, in philanthropy we don't have a metric.

在商业世界里,我们有一个叫作 profit and loss 的指标,还有盈利能力、internal rates of return。

In the business world we have a metric called profit and loss, profitability, internal rates of return.

但在指标这件事上,慈善没有一个能对应的指标,所以你其实没那么好的办法去衡量自己到底成不成功。

In metrics, in philanthropy you don't have a metric that's equivalent, so you don't really have quite as good a way to measure whether you're successful or not.
M1
M140:43

谢谢。

Thank you.

你好。

Hello.

除了那个关于 endowment 的回答,还有提到 Melinda Gates 之外,我们在这场谈话里其实几乎没怎么听到关于女性在这个世界里的内容。

Minus the endowment answer and the mention of Melinda Gates, we really didn't hear much about women in this world during this talk.

那你觉得,怎样才能鼓励更多女性进入这个领域?行业里有哪些女性是你会提到的?

So what do you see as encouragement for more women to be involved in the field, and who are some women within the industry?
M2
M240:57

你是说在投资领域里?

In the field of investing?
M1
M140:57

对。

Yes.
M2
M240:58

好。

Okay.

在这本书里,我觉得有 25% 的人物是女性。

In the book, I think 25% of the people in the book are female.

也许应该更多一些。

Should have been maybe more.

我非常努力地去寻找领先的女性投资专业人士。

I tried very hard to find leading women investment professionals.

大家都知道,那时候几乎没有。这个行业很长时间里基本上是白人男性的天下。

As we all know, there weren't. It was largely a white male profession for a long time.

Paula Volent,现在负责管理捐赠基金,不是 Bowdoin 的,而是 Rockefeller University 的,她就在书里。

Paula Volent, who manages now the endowment, not for Bowdoin, but Rockefeller University, is in it.

Kim Lew,负责管理 Columbia University 的捐赠基金,她也在书里。

Kim Lew, who manages the endowment for Columbia University, is in the book.

Sandra Horbach,在我 Carlyle 的公司里,她是 private equity 领域里资历最深的专业人士。

Sandra Horbach, who's in my firm at Carlyle, is the most senior professional in the private equity world.

所以,你得有榜样,还得让其他人去追随这些女性榜样。

And so, you have to have role models and get other people to follow the women who are the role models.

我得说,让女性登上这些机构的顶层,比你想的要难得多。

I would say it's been tougher than you would think to get women to rise to the top of these organizations.

比如说,在我所在的这个行业,private equity 领域,没有女性在执掌大型 private equity 公司。

For example, in the business I'm in, the private equity world, there are no women running major private equity firms.

就是没有。

There just are none.

在 venture capital 领域,那些知名的 venture capital 公司,也没有一家是由女性在领导的。

In the venture capital world, of the famous venture capital firms, none are being run by women.

所以我们还有很长的路要走。

So we've got a long way to go.

现在在商学院里,今天 Harvard、Princeton、Wharton、Chicago、Stanford 这些不错的商学院,班上大概有 50% 都是女性。

Now, in business schools today, roughly 50% of the business school classes at Harvard, Princeton, Wharton, Chicago, Stanford, good business schools, are roughly 50%.

希望在我有生之年,你会看到大型公司里女性站到顶层,但老实说,现在还没有,你大概也知道,对吧?

At some point, hopefully in my lifetime, you'll see the major firms having women at the top, but it doesn't exist right now honestly, and you probably know that, right?
M1
M142:14

谢谢。

Thank you.
M2
M242:14

对,没问题。

Right, no problem.
M1
M142:16

是,先生。

Yes, sir.
M2
M242:18

Rubenstein 先生,您在讲座一开始提到,您对理念比对金钱更着迷。

Mr. Rubenstein, when you started your lecture, you mentioned that you're more fascinated by ideas than money.

您怎么看这个观点,就是那句著名的话,life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness,建国先贤说的 pursuit of happiness,其实是委婉说法,指的是获取财产?

What do you think of this idea that the famous phrase, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, that the pursuit of happiness by the founding fathers was used as a euphemism for acquiring property?
M1
M142:47

“life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness”是一个委婉说法,指的是——

Was "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" a euphemism for—
M2
M242:52

好吧,好吧,看来您显然是个学者。在美国语境里,happiness 并不是说,你知道,出去办个热闹的派对。

Okay, all right, well, you're obviously a scholar. In the American context, happiness did not mean, you know, going out and having a nice party.

happiness 这个词有一点是借自 Jefferson 所引用的另一部作品。

Happiness was plagiarized a bit from another piece of work that Jefferson was referring to.

它一般指的是有能力去追求财产权,而这才是它真正的意思。

It generally meant the ability to pursue the ownership of property, and that's what it really meant.

所以它不是我们现在说的那种 happiness 的意思,但我有时候会这么用,因为这是大家都听得懂的词。

So it wasn't in the happiness sense, but I sometimes use it because it's a word that people understand.

但说实话,Jefferson 的意思和我们今天理解的 happiness 并不是一回事。

But Jefferson didn't mean it in the same way that we mean happiness, honestly.

你一定知道这一点。

And you must know that.
M1
M143:24

好。

Okay.
M2
M243:25

行。

All right.

是,先生。

Yes, sir.

David,您已经写了好几本关于如何成功,或者在政治和投资里什么才算成功的书。

David, you've written a number of books on how to succeed or what is success in politics, in investing.
M1
M143:38

您什么时候打算写一本传记?

When are you going to do a biography?
M2
M243:41

对,我是在琢磨,到底会不会有人买账。

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out whether, you know, anybody would buy it.

所以,真正鼓励我写这本书的人只有我母亲,但她已经去世了,所以我也不确定还有没有别人会读。

So, the only person that actually encouraged me to write it was my mother, and she's passed away, so I'm not sure anybody else would read it.

我不知道,你知道,写自传这件事,本质上就是,你得有点像是在说,我做过一些有用的事,而且你们应该,别人也应该读读这些事。我现在还在琢磨自己是不是已经舒服到能写这种东西了,但我也知道,随着年纪越来越大,如果我在某个时候不做点什么,你知道,我就没有那个脑力去做了,所以我现在做的就是我说的,向终点冲刺。你知道,我现在刚满73岁,当然,这个年纪还不够当美国总统,但——但这已经是个不小的年纪了。我记得我小时候,Dwight Eisenhower 在我眼里就像个老头,而他离任总统时,我记得他大概是69岁或70岁。

I don't know, you know, it's an act of, when you write an autobiography, you have to kind of, you're saying I've done something useful, and you should, others should read about it, and I'm trying to figure out whether I'm comfortable writing such a thing yet, but I also know as I get older, if I don't do something at some point, you know, I won't have the brainpower to do it, so I am doing what I call sprinting to the finish line. You know, I'm now, I just turned 73, and, you know, it's an older age than, of course I'm not old enough to be President of the United States yet, but—but it's an older age, and I remember when I was growing up, Dwight Eisenhower looked like an old man to me, and he was, he left the presidency when he was, I think, 69 or 70.

所以我记得我曾经跟 Jimmy Carter 说过,你不用担心连任,你的对手是个老人,69岁的 Ronald Reagan。

So I remember telling Jimmy Carter, you don't have to worry about reelection, you're running against an old man, he's 69 years old, Ronald Reagan.

结果后来 Reagan 比我现在还小四岁。

So it turned out that Reagan's now four years younger than I was.

我现在。

I am now.

还有,我记得我刚开始做律师的时候,我去了一个大律所,律所的负责人,一个很有名的联邦法官,走进来,我当时觉得他是个步履蹒跚的老头,他还在给我们讲他的建议。

So, and I remember when I started my practice of law, I went to a large firm and the head of the firm, a famous federal judge, came in and I thought he was a doddering old man and he was giving us his words of advice.

我最近查了一下,他现在比我还小两岁。

I looked it up recently, he's two years younger than I am now.

所以我意识到,我最好赶紧做点什么。

So I realized I better get something done.

我还没决定要不要写。

I haven't decided to do that.

我的出版商倒是想过这事,不过我现在在考虑别的书。

My publishers thought about it, but I have a— I'm thinking of some other books right now.

不过不管怎样,我会记下你的名字,如果我写了一本,我会寄一本给你,好吗?

But anyway, I will get your name and if I write one, I will send you a copy, okay?
M1
M145:13

先生,就在那边。

Sir, right there.

恐怕这会是最后一个问题了。

It's gonna be the last one, I'm afraid.
M2
M245:16

好,谢谢。

Well, thank you.

你提到过不少你错过的机会。

You mentioned a number of the opportunities that you missed.

你有没有什么个人经验法则,可以分享一下,帮你避免以后再错过类似的机会?

Do you have any personal rules of thumb that you could share for avoiding missing any future opportunities like that?

避免错过?

To avoid missing?
M1
M145:30

你刚才谈到你错过的机会。

You've talked about opportunities you've missed.

有没有什么经验法则,可以避免未来再错过机会?

Is there a rule of thumb for avoiding missing future opportunities?
M2
M245:36

嗯,有,听听那些跟你意见不同的人,可能是件挺好的事。

Well, yes, one, listening to people who disagree with you is probably a pretty good thing.

还有,尽量更开放一点,别总觉得自己什么都懂。

And trying to be more open-minded, you know, not thinking you know everything.

我现在比以前更愿意去尝试一些事情了。

I'm more willing to try things than I used to try them.

我在投资圈犯过很多错误,而且就像渔民喜欢谈论那些跑掉的鱼一样,我也总爱讲那些错失的交易。

I made a lot of mistakes in investing world, and like the fishermen like to talk about the fish that got away, I tend to talk about the deals that got away.

但我更担心的是那些我做了、却没做成的交易,因为那样你是真的在亏钱,而不是只是没赚到钱。

But I'm more worried about the deals I did that didn't work out, because then you're actually losing money as opposed to things that you didn't make money on.

总之,我有三个孩子,他们都在 private equity 这个圈子里,所以你也可以说我是把孩子养得不太成功,或者怎么说都行。

Anyway, I I'm— I have three children, they're all in the private equity world, so you could say I did a bad job at parenting or whatever.

我的意思是,我没有诗人,没有剧作家,没有艺术家,他们全都在做 private equity。你知道,我们就看看这对他们来说到底是好事还是坏事吧,不过我也在尽量帮他们一点,现在是我听他们的,反而比他们听我的更多。

I mean, I have no poets, no playwrights, no artists, they're all in private equity, and, you know, we'll see whether that was a good thing for them to do or not, but I'm trying to help them a little bit, and now I listen to them more than they listen to me.
M1
M146:28

这样我们得收尾了,这本书是《How to Invest》。

With that we have to conclude, the book is How to Invest.
M2
M246:30

谢谢。

Thank you.
M1
M146:30

非常感谢。

Thank you very much.

非常感谢。

Thank you very much.

谢谢。

Thank you.

非常感谢,真的很感激。

Thanks a lot, appreciate it.