← 返回任务列表

The Agenda: Why young Singaporeans are earning more but feeling poorer

125 段 · 2 位说话人 · 原片 12:28
F1
F10:04

不同世代,不同的理财习惯,不同的优先顺序。

Different generations, different money habits, different priorities.

这里是 The Agenda,只在 Money FM 89.3。

It's The Agenda, only on Money FM 89.3.

欢迎收听 The Agenda。

Welcome to The Agenda.

我是 Hwang Bin Jung。

I'm Hwang Bin Jung.

我们常常听说,现在年轻一代的收入比他们父母在同样年龄时更高。

We've often heard that younger generations today are earning more than their parents did at the same age.

不过,尽管薪水更高,很多年轻的 millennials 和 Gen Z 说,他们并没有觉得自己更有钱。

Yet despite bigger paychecks, many younger millennials and Gen Zs say they don't feel any richer.

事实上,还有些人说,他们反而觉得财务上更吃紧了。

In fact, some say they're feeling even more financially stretched.

那到底是什么造成了这种落差?

So what's driving that disconnect?

是只是因为生活成本涨得比工资还快,还是说通货膨胀、生活方式的变化,还有,你知道,不断升高的期待,让财务安全感变得比以往更难获得?

Is it simply that the cost of living has risen faster than our salaries, or have inflation, changing lifestyles and, you know, rising expectations made financial security feel harder to achieve than ever before?

今天来跟我们讨论这个话题的是 Calvin Hong,他是 The Economics Tutor 的创办人。

Well, joining us today to discuss this is Calvin Hong, who's a founder of the Economics Tutor.

嗨,Calvin。

Hi, Calvin.

欢迎来到节目。

Welcome to the show.
F2
F20:56

嗨,Hongbin。

Hi, Hongbin.

谢谢你的邀请。

Thank you for having me.
F1
F10:58

非常感谢你加入我们。

Thank you so much for joining us.

Calvin,嗯,相比前几代人,现在的新加坡年轻人收入其实不错。

Well, Calvin, I mean young Singaporeans today are earning good money compared to previous generations.

但为什么还是有这么多人觉得自己落后了呢?

But why do so many still feel like they're falling behind?

我觉得,关键真的是他们拿自己的进展去跟人生重大里程碑比较,而不是跟日常开销比。

I think it is really because they are measuring their progress against major life milestones and not everyday goods.
F2
F21:09

真正拉开差距的是那些大额项目,你知道,像买房、买车这些人生大关,它们的价格涨得比工资快得多。

It is the big-ticket items, you know, the major milestones like owning a home or a car, where prices have spiked, grown much faster than wages.

所以,工资单上看起来是在进步,但里程碑清单上却不是这么回事。

So the payslip may say progress while the milestone checklist says otherwise.

那从你的判断来看,新加坡年轻人现实中是真的更穷了,还是更准确地说,他们的购买力变弱了?

Well then, from your assessment, are young Singaporeans actually poorer in reality, or is it more accurate to say their purchasing power has weakened?
F1
F11:37

我真的会把这两件事区分开。

I would really distinguish the two.
F2
F21:46

如果是日常消费,我不觉得他们更穷。

When it comes to everyday items, I don't think they are poorer.

事实上,数据表明,real incomes,也就是扣除通胀后的收入,是增加了的。

In fact, data suggests that real incomes, which are incomes adjusted for inflation, they have increased.

但一碰到买房、买车这些大里程碑,我觉得他们就会感觉自己穷很多,因为偏偏这些特定支出变贵了很多。

But when facing those major milestones like housing and cars, I think they will feel a lot poorer because precisely those specific purchases have become a lot costlier.

如果你看过去十年,COE 价格已经翻了一倍多。

If you look over the last decade, COE prices have more than doubled.

住房方面,HDB 转售价格也大概上涨了 50%。

Housing HDB resale prices have also gone up by, say, 50%.

BTO 价格也呈现类似的趋势。

BTO prices follow a similar trend.

BTO 价格也呈现类似的趋势。

BTO prices follow a similar trend.

所以我觉得,这就能解释这种表面上的矛盾了。

So I think that kind of explains the apparent contradiction.
F1
F12:33

好吧,那把我们的购买力和前几代人相比,会不会因为我们今天的支出结构很不一样,而让画面变得不完整呢?

Okay, well then, does comparing our spending power to previous generations paint an incomplete picture given how different our expenses are today?
F2
F22:43

嗯,我觉得跨代比较还是有用的。

Well, I think comparing across generations is still useful.

我们当然想知道,我们是不是在给年轻人带来更好的生活。

We certainly want to know if we are delivering better lives for our young.

不过,我们必须很清楚地意识到这些比较的局限性。

However, we must be well aware of the limitations of those comparisons.

所以没错,这也包括认识到,支出项目组合已经变了。

So yes, that includes recognizing that the bundle of expenses has changed.

而且其实,这种情况在每一代都会发生。

And in fact, that actually happens across every generation.

我觉得更重要的是,要知道通胀指标不是一个买房负担能力指数,也不是一个买车负担能力指数。

I think even more importantly is to know that the inflation indicator is not a home purchase or car affordability index.

实际上,房子的巨大购买价格,还有它的装修成本,都是完全排除在 Consumer Price Index 之外的。

In fact, the massive purchase price of a home and its renovation cost is completely excluded from the Consumer Price Index.

所以当我们用标准的通胀数据来比较购买力时,我们其实完全漏掉了年轻人今天面临的最大财务难题。

So when we use standard inflation data to compare spending power, we are entirely missing the biggest financial hurdles that young people face today.
F1
F13:35

嗯,不过购买力在这里虽然作用更大,但薪资涨幅也很重要,尤其是在当前这种经济环境下。

Well, while purchasing power, you know, plays a larger role here, salary increments also matter, especially in the current economic climate.

今天的年轻人,加薪能跟上生活成本上涨的速度吗?

Are young adults today receiving pay raises that keep pace with the rising cost of living?
F2
F23:50

我觉得数据确实显示,实际中位收入是增加了,这也意味着工资整体上是跑赢了物价。

I think the data does suggest that the real median incomes have increased, which means that wages have generally outpaced prices.

但首先,平均数并不能说明每个人的情况。

But first and foremost, averages do not describe everyone.

有些人可能进展很快,有些人可能收入停滞,或者背着很大的家庭责任。

Some may have progressed rapidly, some may face stagnant income or major household commitments.

而且同样地,我们真的也需要把那些一次性的大额人生节点考虑进去,它们已经完全跑赢了收入增长。

And again, we really need to take into account those who have one-off big-ticket milestones that have entirely outpaced income growth.
F1
F14:22

好。

Okay.

那你说,什么时候加薪会开始变得不再有意义?

Then at what point does, you know, a salary increment stop feeling meaningful?

有没有一个临界点,会让人觉得自己在财务上已经不再前进了?

Is there a threshold where people no longer feel they're getting ahead financially?
F2
F24:33

嗯,当一个经济体进入所谓的 hyperinflation 时,加薪就真的会立刻失去意义。

Well, a salary increment literally stops being meaningful when an economy hits what is known as hyperinflation.

那时候,物价会每一到两个月就翻一倍。

That's when prices double every 1 to 2 months.

我会跟学生开玩笑说,在 hyperinflation 期间,连用过的卫生纸都可能比现金更值钱。

I joke with my students that during hyperinflation, even used toilet paper may become more valuable than cash.

所以好在我们还没到那一步,但就算没到那个程度,加薪也会马上被飞涨的物价吞掉,变得不那么有意义。

So fortunately we are not there, but short of that, an increment stops feeling meaningful and it immediately gets swallowed by surging prices.

我是说,你看看现在的水电费,家庭电费刚刚一下子涨了17%。

I mean, you look at utilities today, household electricity tariffs just jumped 17%.

所以当这种基本生存成本都在暴涨时,而且谁知道接下来还会怎样,你的加薪就真的没那么有感觉了。

So when basic survival costs like this spike, and who knows what's next, your pay raise doesn't feel that meaningful.

当然,我觉得有加薪总比没有好。

Of course, an increment, I think, is still better than none.

所以我会说,这种感觉还是挺复杂的,喜忧参半吧。

So I would say it's rather a mixed bag of feelings.
F1
F15:27

明白。

Understood.

那我意思是,专家说,随着薪水收入增加,今天会有更多人去调整自己的财务目标,或者说,总是在追逐下一个财务里程碑?

Well, then, I mean, experts say that as the salary, you know, earned increases, more people today would shift their financial goalposts or, you know, are constantly chasing the next financial milestone?

为什么人们会随着收入增加,不断把自己认为“够了”的标准往上抬呢?

Why do people keep raising the bar for what they consider enough as their income increases?
F2
F25:48

哇,这真的是一个很有意思的问题。

Wow, that's a really interesting question.

我不会说人类天生就只是容易不满足,而是我们本来就有一种想要进步、想要过上更好生活的内在渴望。

I wouldn't say humans are just inherently discontented, but rather we have a built-in desire to progress and to enjoy a better life.

所以随着收入增加,我们以前觉得是奢侈品的东西,往往就会被看作是必需品。

So as income increases, what we used to consider luxuries are often viewed as necessities.

我觉得我们也必须记住,这一代年轻人是在高收入父母享受更好生活水平的环境里长大的。

I think we must also bear in mind that this younger generation, they grew up benefiting from their higher-income parents enjoying an improved standard of living.

所以生活方式通胀其实已经存在了。

So there is already lifestyle inflation.

他们已经习惯了更高的起点,所以自然会期待自己继续维持那个消费水平。

They are used to a higher baseline, so they naturally expect to continue consuming at that level.
F1
F16:31

你觉得社交媒体,还有年轻一代之间那种无时无刻的比较,也跟这种心态有关系吗?

Do you think social media and that constant comparison amongst younger generations have something to do with this mindset as well?
F2
F26:39

嗯,首先,社会比较并不是什么新鲜事,但我觉得社交媒体确实把它放大了无数倍,也让这种比较的频率高得惊人,对吧?

Well, firstly, social comparison is not new, but I think social media has certainly multiplied that a gazillion times and the frequency of that comparison, right?

过去,你的参照群体可能只是你的亲戚和同事,但今天,它包括全世界任何人、每一个人,还有你所有的同龄人。

In the past, your reference group might have been just your relatives and your colleagues, but today it includes anyone and everyone around the world, as well as all your peers.

而且想想看,每天推送给你的都是经过精挑细选的内容,这当然会让一种看起来极其奢华的生活方式,几乎显得像是常态。

And imagine a curated feed served to you every single day certainly can make what seems like an exceptional luxury lifestyle appear almost the norm.

所以是的,我觉得社交媒体确实会放大这些比较。

So yes, I think certainly social media does amplify these comparisons.
F1
F17:20

不过与此同时,年轻人能把钱花进去的地方也多了很多。

Well, at the same time, there are many more things that young people may pump their money into.

现在这包括像 Spotify 和 Netflix 这样的订阅模式,或者甚至像健身房这种休闲会员。

Now, this includes subscription models like your Spotify and Netflix, or perhaps even recreational memberships like the gym.

但很多新加坡年轻人会说,这些并不是奢侈品,而也是现代生活的一部分。

But many young Singaporeans would argue that these aren't luxuries, but part of modern life as well.

那这些不断重复的生活开销,真的会让年轻人更难感受到高薪带来的好处吗?

So do these recurring lifestyle costs actually make it harder for young adults to actually feel the benefit of a higher salary?
F2
F27:46

嗯,我觉得一个 streaming service,或者一次 ride-hailing 行程,本身不是问题。

Well, I think one streaming service or one ride-hailing trip isn't the problem.

但当你有很多小额、重复性的支出时,它们加起来就很可观了。

But when you have many small recurring expenses, they all add up.

比如好几个订阅、频繁外送、每天打车,或者多笔 buy now, pay later 的分期。

So several subscriptions, frequent deliveries, daily rides, or multiple buy now, pay later commitments.

单看每一项都好像没什么,但全加在一起,就像是被一刀一刀慢慢割掉一样。

Each looks pretty harmless in isolation, but add them all up and it becomes like death by a thousand cuts.

不过我也会提醒大家要有全局观。

But I also tell people to have perspective.

我记得我年轻的时候,那还是很多年前了,虽然我现在的收入高得多,但那时我的消费其实比现在还多。

I recall when I was young, many years ago, I consumed a lot more than I do now, despite a much higher income today.

所以我觉得,这也算是人随着不同人生阶段、承担更多财务责任而逐渐成熟的一部分吧。

So I think it's also kind of part and parcel of maturing as they go through different life stages and take on more financial responsibilities.

我觉得有些消费习惯可能会自己修正,或者慢慢变得更克制。

I think some of these spending habits may self-correct or moderate.

明白。

I see.
F1
F18:39

那如果只能说一个,你觉得哪些非必需支出,已经悄悄变成了可支配收入里最大的几个漏洞?

And if you could name one, which non-essential expenses have kind of quietly become one of the biggest drains on disposable income?
F2
F28:47

哇,这个问题真的很难回答。

Wow, that's a really tall order.

嗯,我觉得我不会真的去怪某一项单独的东西。

Well, I think I wouldn't really blame any single item.

我觉得单笔消费本身是负担得起的。

I think the individual purchase is affordable.

关键真的在于频率。

It's really about the frequency.

所以如果你总是在打网约车、点外卖、常去咖啡馆消费,那这些又会加在一起,最后就成了你收入的一个大漏洞。

So if you are repeatedly ride-hailing, you know, food delivery, frequent cafe spending, then again, it all adds up and that becomes a major drain on your income.

我觉得真正的危险信号是,似乎有一个很大而且还在不断增长的群体。

I think the real red flag is that there seems to be a significant and growing group.

有些研究显示,大约有15%的年轻成年人,正在积极地超出自己的经济能力去消费。

Some studies suggest about 15% of young adults are actively spending beyond their means.

所以如果你在二十多岁的时候累积了高利息债务,那真的是一个很大的危险,因为这会对你以后的人生产生严重的财务影响。

So if you're racking up high-interest debt in your 20s, that is a real danger because it will have a severe financial impact on the rest of your life.
F1
F19:32

对。

Right.

那通货膨胀在这里又起到多大作用呢?就是说,年轻人总是觉得自己变得更穷了。

And how much does inflation as well also play a part here where, you know, younger people constantly feel they are poorer?

通货膨胀会不会继续影响年轻 Singaporeans 的这种心态呢?

Will inflation continue to, you know, impact that mindset of younger Singaporeans?
F2
F29:45

我觉得 COVID 之后那几年,通货膨胀确实相当高。

I think inflation was pretty high post-COVID years.

近几年它变得比较稳定,不过最近因为地缘政治冲突等等,又出现了一些变化。

In recent years, it has become more stable until of late because of geopolitical conflicts and so on.

我们看到一些报告说,公众预期通胀率会持续处在相当高的水平。

We've read some reports suggesting that there are public expectations of an ongoing quite high inflation rate.

我觉得这当然会让人感到不安全,但我们需要区分预期和经济预测。

I think certainly that will make one feel insecure, but we need to distinguish between an expectation and an economic forecast.

所以从经济学家的角度来看,他们预期的通胀率要低得多。

So where economists are concerned, they are expecting a much lower rate of inflation.

我想我们都希望他们是对的。

I think we hope they are right.

同时我们也需要考虑到,政府正在积极监测并进行干预。

And that we also need to take into account that the government is actively monitoring and intervening.

所以通胀率很有可能不会像大家预期的那么高。

So there is a good chance that the inflation rate may not be as high as expected.

至于压力和焦虑,我觉得它仍然是真实存在的,也正因为这样,大家需要在财务上更加谨慎。

With regards to the stress and the pressure, I think it is still real, and that's where financial prudence is going to be required.
F1
F110:49

那么展望未来,在这个阶段,年轻 Singaporeans 要怎样才能感觉自己更富有呢?

Well then, looking ahead at this point, how can young Singaporeans feel richer?

他们要怎样才能觉得自己在财务上更有韧性?

How can they feel financially resilient?

在所有这些因素之下?

Amidst all of these factors?
F2
F210:59

这是个非常好的问题。

That's a very good question.

我觉得首先,我们应该避免超出自己的能力去消费,无论如何都要避免高利息债务。

I think firstly, we should avoid spending beyond our means, avoid high-interest debt at all costs.

第二,我觉得要把住房和交通这类最大的固定支出,控制在一个可持续的范围内。

Secondly, I think to keep the largest fixed commitments like housing and transport within a sustainable range.

而这对很多年轻 Singaporeans,或者说很多 Singaporeans 来说,可能意味着我们应该选择 car-lite 的生活方式。

And I think that could mean for many young Singaporeans or many Singaporeans in general, that maybe we should choose to be car-lite.

好的一点是,今天我们有一个世界级的公共交通系统,而且它还在持续扩展和改善。

The good thing is today we have a world-class public transport system and that continues to expand and improve.

所以保持 car-lite,其实可以释放出一大笔钱,用来投资,最终也可以用于退休。

So remaining car-lite actually can release a very large sum for investment and eventually for retirement.

第三,我觉得要把定期储蓄自动化,进行合适的投资,最后还要提高赚钱能力。

So thirdly, I think to automate regular savings, to invest appropriately, and finally to increase earning capacity.

通过技能提升和职业流动来做到这一点。

Through skills and career mobility.

因为说到底,财务韧性来自等式的两边:一边是管好今天的支出,另一边是增强未来的收入。

Because financial resilience at the end comes from both sides of the equation, to regulate today's spending and strengthen future income.
F1
F112:04

好的,你刚才分享了很多很棒的见解。

All right, some great insights from you there.

非常感谢你,Calvin,今天来参加我们的节目。

Thank you so much, Calvin, for joining us today.
F2
F212:10

不客气。

You're welcome.
F1
F112:10

谢谢。

Thank you.

刚才说话的是 The Economics Tutor 的创始人 Calvin Hong。

That was Calvin Hong, founder of The Economics Tutor.
已剔除 3 处广告(点击展开查看)
F1
F10:00广告 · 已剔除

Best of Your Money with Hongbin Jeong.

F1
F112:15广告 · 已剔除

And that's all on The Agenda with me, Hongbin Zhang, only on Your Way Home.

For more conversations and podcasts, visit moneyfm893.sg.

F2
F212:26广告 · 已剔除

Money FM 89.3.