← 返回任务列表

1995年股东大会 · 巴菲特与芒格:什么是企业的护城河?为何它如此重要?

60 段 · 3 位说话人 · 原片 5:50
M1
M10:00

来自 New York City 的 Mike Assael。

Mike Assael from New York City.

在年报里那个“今日错误”栏目中,你提到过一条你忽略掉的经济学基本规律。

In the Mistake du Jour section of the annual report, you mentioned a fundamental rule of economics that you missed.

我想知道,你们通常能够把握对的、最重要的两三条经济学基本规律是什么?

I'd like to know the 2 or 3 most important fundamental rules of economics you habitually get right.

换句话说,你们是依据哪些经济学的基本规律,来为 Berkshire 赚钱的?

In other words, what are the fundamental rules of economics you used to make money for Berkshire?

我这里说的不是 Ben Graham 的那些原则,而是那种你可能会在经济学教科书里看到的经济规律,对吗?

And I'm not talking about Ben Graham's principles here, but rather rules of economics which may be found in an economics textbook?
M2
M20:31

谢谢。

Thank you.

对,我们会尽量——我是说,在投资和收购企业时,我们会尽量遵循 Ben 的原则,作为我们所持有的那种态度。

Yeah, we try to— I mean, we try to follow Ben's principles in terms of the attitude we bring toward both investing and buying businesses.

但你最重要能做的——你知道,我们想做的,其实是找到一家周围有很宽、而且能长期存在的护城河的企业。

But the most important thing you can— you know, what we're trying to do is we're trying to find a business with a wide and long-lasting moat around it.

它围绕着并保护着一座了不起的经济城堡,而城堡里还有一位诚实的领主在掌管。

Surrounding and protecting a terrific economic castle with an honest lord in charge of the castle.

本质上,做生意就是这么回事。

And in essence, that's what business is all about.

我是说,你自己也许想当那座城堡的领主,那样的话,你就不用担心最后那个因素了。

I mean, you may want to be the lord of the castle yourself, in which case you don't worry about that last factor.

但你要找的——也就是我们要找的,是这样一种企业:出于某种原因,它能够——比如说,它可能是在某个领域里的最低成本生产者。

But what you're trying to— what we're trying to find is a business that, for one reason or another, it can be— it can be because it's the low-cost producer in some area.

也可能是因为它拥有天然的 franchise。

It can be because it has a natural franchise.

也可能是因为它的服务能力。

It could be because of service capabilities.

也可能是因为它在消费者心智中的位置。

It could be because of its position in the consumer's mind.

也可能是因为它在技术上的优势。

It can be because of a technological advantage.

总之,不管是什么原因,只要它周围有这样一条护城河。

For any kind of reason at all that it has this moat around it.

然后我们——接下来我们要判断的是,在资本主义体系里,所有护城河都会遭到攻击。

And then our— then what we have to decide is, all moats are subject to attack in a capitalistic system.

所以每个人都会想办法——如果你那儿有一座大城堡,人们都会琢磨怎么打进去。

So everybody is going to try and— if you've got a big castle in there, people are going to be trying to figure out how to get to it.

而我们得判断的是——而且在资本主义里,大多数护城河其实根本不值一提。

And what we have to decide— and most moats aren't worth a damn in capitalism.

我的意思是,这就是它的本质。

I mean, that's the nature of it.

而且这种情况其实是建设性的,是件好事。

And it's a constructive thing that that's the case.

但我们要弄明白的是,究竟是什么在支撑着——为什么那座城堡到现在还屹立不倒?

But we are trying to figure out what is keeping— why is that castle still standing?

还有,五年、十年、二十年以后,什么会让它继续屹立不倒,或者又是什么会让它不复存在?

And what's going to keep it standing or cause it not to be standing 5, 10, 20 years from now?

关键因素是什么?

What are the key factors?

它们的持久性到底有多强?

And how permanent are they?
M3
M32:17

对。

Yeah.
M2
M22:17

它们有多少是依赖于城堡里那位领主的天才?

How much do they depend on the genius of the lord in the castle?

然后,如果我们对这条护城河感觉不错,我们就会再去判断,比如说,那位领主是不是会想把这一切都占为己有,或者他是不是可能会把这些收益拿去做什么蠢事,诸如此类。

And then if we feel good about the moat, then we try to figure out whether, you know, the lord is going to try and take it all for himself or whether he's likely to do something stupid with the proceeds, et cetera.

这就是我们看企业的方式。

But that's the way we look at businesses.
M3
M32:42

Charlie,你想补充点什么吗?

Charlie, you want to add anything?
M1
M12:42

没有。

No.
M3
M32:43

嗯,我觉得他是想把这个翻译成普通经济学里的说法。

Well, I think he wants it translated into the ordinary terms of economics.

这匹马驮着的东西,就是低 agency costs。

The horse's load is low agency costs.

这就是经济学里的那个词。

That's the word in economics.

而微观经济层面的企业优势,大体上都是规模优势、市场支配力的规模优势。比如说,一个零售商如果能以更低的价格进货,而且每平方英尺的销售额更高,那它就会有非常大的优势。

And the microeconomic business advantages are by and large advantages of scale, scale of market dominance, which can be a retailer that just has huge advantages in terms of buying cheaper and enjoying higher sales per square foot.

所以总的来说,你讲的就是 economies of scale。

So by and large, you're talking economies of scale.

你也可能有 intelligence 的规模优势。

You can have scale of intelligence.

换句话说,你可能会有某个家伙聪明得多出一大截,于是他就拥有很大的优势。

In other words, you can have a lorde with enough extra intelligence that he has a big advantage.
M2
M23:35

所以总体来说,你讲的是规模优势。对,还有一点,Charlie 和我会尽量区分两类企业:一类是你只要聪明一次就行,另一类是你必须一直保持聪明。

So by and large, you're talking scale advantages and, yeah, to some extent, Charlie and I try and distinguish between businesses where you have to have been smart once and businesses where you have to stay smart.

比如说,零售业就是一个你必须持续保持聪明的好例子。

And, I mean, retailing is a good case of a business where you have to stay smart.

你——你时时刻刻都在遭受竞争冲击。

You can—you are under attack all of the time.
M1
M14:04

对。

Yeah.
M2
M24:04

别人会跑到你的店里来。

People are in your store.

如果你做成了什么成功的事,他们第二天就会出现在你的店里,想搞清楚你成功的原因是什么,好把那一套移植到他们自己的情况里,甚至再加上一点他们自己的东西。

If you're doing something successful, they're in your store the next day trying to figure out what it is about your success that they can transplant and maybe add a little something on in their own situation.

所以做零售你是没法躺着吃老本的。

So you cannot coast in retailing.

还有一些企业,你只需要聪明一次就够了,至少可以顶很长一段时间。

There are other businesses where you only have to be smart once, at least for a very long time.

以前南方有一位出版商,他的报纸办得非常成功。有人问他成功的秘诀是什么,他说,是垄断和 nepotism。

There was once a Southern publisher who was doing very well with his newspaper, and someone asked him the secret of his success, and he said, monopoly and nepotism.

我的意思是,他可没那么傻。

And I mean, he wasn't so dumb.

我是说,他对自己并没有什么不切实际的幻想。

I mean, he didn't have any illusions about himself.

如果你在三十年前拥有一大批电视 affiliate stations,那好的管理和差的管理之间,当然还是有很大的区别。

And if you had a big network of television affiliate stations 30 years ago, there's still a major difference between good management and bad management.

我是说,区别非常大。

I mean, a major difference.

但是,就算你是个很糟糕的管理者,你基本上也还是能赚到一大笔钱,因为只要你当初做了那个决定,去拥有 network TV affiliate,后面几乎所有的缺点都会被这个决定盖过去。

But you could be a terrible manager and make a fortune, basically, because the one decision to own the network TV affiliate overcame almost any deficiency that existed from that point forward.

但如果你是在零售业里第一个想出某个新概念,或者类似的东西,那情况就不是这样了。

And that would not be true if you were the first one to come up with some concept in retailing or something of the sort.

我的意思是,你必须每天都站在前线去保卫它。

I mean, you would have to be out there defending it every day.

理想情况下,当然是你既有卓越的管理层,又有卓越的企业,这就是我们要找的。

Ideally, you know, is you want terrific management at a terrific business, and that's what we look for.

但就像我们过去说过的,如果两者之间非要选一个,那就选卓越的企业。

But as we pointed out in the past, if you have to choose between the two, get a terrific business.
M3
M35:46

Charlie,还要再补充一点吗?

Charlie, any more?
M2
M25:47

不用了。

No.

我看看,接下来我想是 Zone 7。

Let's see, Zone 7, I believe, is next.