← 返回任务列表

#413 – Bill Ackman: Investing, Financial Battles, Harvard, DEI, X & Free Speech

2827 段 · 2 位说话人 · 原片 220:42
M1
M10:00

接下来这段对话的嘉宾是 Bill Ackman,他是一位传奇的 activist investor,参与过历史上一些规模最大、而且有时也颇具争议的交易。

The following is a conversation with Bill Ackman, a legendary activist investor who has been part of some of the biggest and at times controversial trades in history.

另外,他在 X,也就是 Twitter 上也一直非常敢说,利用这个平台为他相信的理念发声和抗争。

Also, he is fearlessly vocal on X, aka Twitter, and uses the platform to fight for ideas he believes in.

比如说,他在 Harvard University 校长 Claudine Gay 辞职这件事里就是一个核心人物,我们也会在这一期里聊到这段风波。

For example, he was a central figure in the resignation of the president of Harvard University, Claudine Gay, the saga of which we discuss in this episode.
M1
M10:50

另外,如果你想和我们这个很棒的团队一起工作,或者只是想联系我,就去 lexfriedman.com/contact。

Also, if you want to work with our amazing team or just want to get in touch with me, go to lexfriedman.com/contact.
M1
M12:18

不过更坦白地说,是因为我其实真的不记得了。

But more honestly, because I don't actually remember.

我只记得那个颜色。

I just remember the color.
M1
M18:29

这里是 Lex Fridman Podcast。

This is the Lex Fridman Podcast.
M1
M18:35

那么现在,亲爱的朋友们,下面有请 Bill

And now, dear friends, here's Bill

Ackman。

Ackman.

你在一场关于金融和投资基础的演讲里提到过一本书,Benjamin Graham 写的《The Intelligent Investor》,说这本书对你的人生影响很大。

In your lecture on the basics of finance and investing, you mentioned a book, The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham, as being formative in your life.

这本书里最关键的一条启发是什么,让它也影响了你自己的投资理念?

What key lesson do you take away from that book that informs your own?
M2
M29:08

其实,这是我读的第一本投资书。

Actually, it was the first investment book I read.

所以某种程度上,它算是启发了我的职业生涯,也影响了我人生中的很多部分。

As such, it was kind of the inspiration for my career and a lot of my life.

这是一本很重要的书。

Important book.

你要记得,这本书大概是在 Great Depression 之后那个时期出现的。

Bear in mind, this is sort of after the Great Depression.

当时人们对在市场里投资失去了信心。

People lost confidence investing in markets.

后来又有了 World War II。

World War II.

然后他写了这本书。

Then he writes this book.

这是写给普通人的。

It's for the average man.

基本上,他说你必须理解 price 和 value 之间的区别。

Basically, he says that you have to understand the difference between price and value.

对吧?

Right?

Price 是你付出去的钱。

Price is what you pay.

Value 是你真正得到的东西。

Value is what you get.

他还说,stock market 的存在是为你服务的。

And he said, the stock market is here to serve you.

它有点像一个每天都会上门,想出价买你房子的邻居。

And it's a bit like the neighbor that comes by every day and makes you an offer for your house.

如果他给了你一个蠢得离谱的报价,你就别理他。

Makes you a stupid offer, you ignore it.

如果他给了你一个特别好的报价,你就可以接受。

Makes you a great offer, you can take it.

stock market 也是一样。

And that's the stock market.

关键就在于,你要搞清楚一样东西到底值多少钱,而且你得去权衡判断。

And the key is to figure out what something's worth, and you have to kind of weigh it.

他还讲到一个区别——他说,短期来看,stock market 是一台投票机。

He talked about the difference between—he said the stock market in the short term is a voting machine.

它代表的是短期里人们投机性的兴趣,还有供求关系。

It represents speculative interests, supply and demand of people in the short term.

但从长期来看,股市是一台称重机。

But in the long term, the stock market's a weighing machine.

要准确得多。

Much more accurate.

它最终会告诉你,一个东西到底值多少钱。

It's going to tell you what something is worth.

如果你能判断出一个东西真正值多少钱,那你就真的能利用市场,因为市场其实是来帮你的。

If you can divine what something's worth, then you can really take advantage of the market because it's really here to help you.

这大概就是那本书想传达的信息。

That's kind of the message of the book.
M1
M110:22

同样地,投机和投资之间也有一种区别。

In that same way, there's a kind of difference between speculation and investing.

对。

Yeah.
M2
M210:27

投机就是——有点像买、炒 crypto。

Speculation is just—it's a bit like buying, trading crypto.
M1
M110:33

这话说得挺重啊。

Strong words.
M2
M210:35

嗯,我是说短线交易 crypto。

Well, short-term trading crypto.

也许从长期看它有内在价值,但很多在泡沫中一路买到崩盘前的投资者,其实真的就只是纯粹的投机者。

Maybe in the long run there's intrinsic value, but many investors in a bubble going into the crash were really just pure speculators.

他们不知道那些东西到底值多少钱。

They didn't know what things were worth.

他们只知道它们一直在涨。

They just knew they were going up.

那就是投机。

That's speculation.

而投资,是你要做功课,要深挖,要理解一家企业,要理解一个行业里的竞争格局,要理解管理层会怎么做,还要理解你准备付出什么价格。

And investing is doing your homework, digging down, understanding a business, understanding the competitive dynamics of an industry, understanding what management's going to do, understanding what price you're going to pay.

我会说,任何东西的价值——先把爱排除掉——就是你在它整个生命周期里,能从中拿出来的现金流的现值。

The value of anything, I would say, other than love, let's say, is the present value of the cash you can take out of it over its life.

当然,有些人也会这么看待爱,但那不是看待爱的正确方式。

Now, some people think about love that way, but it's not the right way to think about love.

不过——对。

But it's—yeah.

所以投资本质上就是建立一个模型,去判断这家企业在它整个生命周期里会产出什么。

So investing is about basically building a model of what this business is going to produce over its lifetime.
M1
M111:30

你是怎么推导到这一步的?

How do you get to that?

这个叫 value investing 的理念,到底怎么去算出一个东西的价值?

This idea called value investing, how do you get to the value of a thing?

甚至从哲学上说,任何东西的价值都可以这么问,不过我们就讲股市上的那些东西吧,讲公司。

Even philosophically, value of anything really, but we can just talk about the things that are on the stock market, companies.

当然。

Sure.
M2
M211:43

一种证券的价值,就是你在它整个存续期里能从中拿出来的现金流的现值。

The value of a security is the present value of the cash you can take out of it over its life.

你比如说债券,债券会支付百分之五的票息利率。

If you think about a bond, a bond pays a 5% coupon interest rate.

你会拿到这个钱,比如说每年一次,或者一年两次,分成两半发。

You get that, let's say, every year or twice a year, split in half.

这个是非常可预测的。

It's very predictable.

如果是 US government bond,你就知道你肯定能拿到。

If it's a US government bond, you know you're going to get it.

这种东西就很容易估值。

That's a pretty easy thing to value.

股票代表的是一家企业里的权益。

A stock is an interest in a business.

就像是你拥有了一家公司的其中一部分。

It's like owning a piece of a company.

一家企业,尤其是赚钱的企业,有点像债券,因为它会持续产生这些票息,或者说收益、现金流。

A business, a profitable one, is like a bond in that it generates these coupons or these earnings or cash flow.
M1
M112:17

对。

Right.
M2
M212:18

年年都会有。

Every year.

股票和债券的区别在于,债券本质上是一份合同。

The difference with a stock and a bond is that the bond, it's a contract.

只要他们不破产、不违约,你大致知道自己会拿到什么。

You know what you're going to get as long as they don't go bankrupt and default.

但股票就不一样了,你得对这家企业做判断、做预测。

With a stock, you have to make predictions about the business.

他们今年会卖出多少个 widgets?

How many widgets are they going to sell this year?

明年又会卖出多少?

How many are they going to sell next year?

他们的成本会是多少?

What are their costs going to be?

他们赚到的钱里,有多少必须重新投入业务,才能让这门生意持续运转下去?

How much of the money that they generate do they need to reinvest in the business to keep the business going?

这就复杂多了。

And that's more complicated.

但我们的工作,就是尽量去找那种我们能以非常高的把握,知道它在很长很长一段时间里现金流会是什么样的企业。

But what we do is we try to find businesses where with a very high degree of confidence, we know what those cash flows are going to be for a very long time.

真正能让你有很高确定性的企业,其实非常少。

There are very few businesses that you can have a really high degree of certainty about.

所以很多投资其实更像投机,因为未来真的很难预测。

As a result, many investments are speculations because it's really very difficult to predict the future.

我们这行、我每天在做的事,就是去找那些很少见的公司,你能够大致预判它们在很长一段时间之后会变成什么样子。

What we do for a living, what I do for a living is find those rare companies that you can kind of predict what they're going to look like over a very long period of time.
M1
M113:09

那到底有哪些因素,能说明一家公司会很赚钱、会很有价值,而且能在很长时间里保持可靠?

So what are the factors that indicate that a company is something, is going to be something that's going to make a lot of money, it's going to have a lot of value, and it's going to be reliable over a long period of time?

你判断一家公司是不是这种公司的过程,又是怎样的?

And what is your process of figuring out whether a company is or isn't that?
M2
M213:27

每个消费者其实对不同的品牌、不同的公司,心里都会有自己的看法。

So every consumer has a view on different brands and different companies.

而我们要找的,是那种基本不会被颠覆的企业。就是说,你甚至可以闭上眼,假设股市关门十年,但你知道十年之后,它会是一家更有价值、更赚钱的公司。

And what we look for are sort of these non-disruptible businesses, a business where you can kind of close your eyes, stock market shuts for a decade and you know that 10 years from now it's going to be a more valuable, more profitable company.

比如我们持有一家叫 Universal Music Group 的公司。

So we own a business called Universal Music Group.

它做的是帮助艺人成为全球级艺人的生意,也就是录制音乐这个行业里的业务。

It's in the business of helping artists become global artists, sort of the recorded music business.

同时,它也经营音乐版权这一块,具体来说就是拥有词曲作者的 music publishing rights。

And it's in the business of owning rights to sort of the music publishing rights of songwriters.

我觉得音乐是永恒的。

And I think music is forever.

音乐已经是人类体验的一部分,延续了几千年;我也相信,几千年以后依然会是这样。

Music is a many-thousand-year-old part of the human experience, and I think it will be thousands of years from now.

所以这就是一个非常好的投资背景。

So that's a pretty good backdrop to invest in a company.

这家公司基本上拥有全球录制音乐市场三分之一的份额。

The company basically owns a third of the global recorded music.

这在这个行业里算是最强势、最领先的市场份额了。

That's the most dominant sort of market share in the business.

他们最擅长的,就是把一个十八岁、嗓音很棒、已经开始在 YouTube 和 Instagram 上有点影响力的艺人,培养成超级巨星。

They're the best at taking an artist who's 18 years old, who's got a great voice and has started to get a presence on YouTube and Instagram and helping that artist become a superstar.

这是一种很独特的才能,结果就是,世界上最好的艺术家都想来跟他们合作。

That's a unique talent, and the result is the best artists in the world want to come work for them.

但他们同时还拥有一个非常惊人的曲库,里面有 Beatles、Rolling Stones、U2,等等。

But they also have this incredible library of the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, U2, et cetera.

然后你再想想音乐这个行业后来变成了什么样。以前它是靠唱片、CD,还有 8-track tape——给那些经历过那个时代的人——本质上就是靠新载体、新格式来带动销售。

Then if you think about what music has become, it used to be about records and CDs and 8-track tapes for those of whom— and it was about a new format and that's how they drive sales.

而现在它已经变成了一个有点像 podcast 行业的生意,核心是 streaming。

And it's become a business which is like the podcast business, about streaming.

而且 streaming 比卖唱片要可预测得多。

And streaming is a lot more predictable than selling records.

你基本上可以这么看,好,现在线上有多少人有 smartphone?

You can sort of say, okay, how many people have smartphones?

明年又会有多少人拥有 smartphone?

How many people are going to have smartphones next year?

smartphone 会随着时间推移,在全球不断提高渗透率。

There's a kind of global penetration over time of smartphones.

你每个月付,大概十美元、十一美元订阅,或者家庭套餐的话更便宜一点。

You pay, call it $10, $11 a month for a subscription or less for a family plan.

这样你就能大致搭出一个模型,去看整个世界会是什么样子,并预测 streaming 业务的增长。

You can kind of build a model of what the world looks like and predict the growth of the streaming business.

你还可以预测 Universal 随着时间推移会拿到什么样的市场份额。

You predict what kind of market share Universal is going to have over time.

你没法精确算出它的价值。

You can't get to a precise view of value.

但你可以得到一个大致的估算。

You can get to an approximation.

关键是,要在一个相对于这个估算有很大折价的价格上买入。

The key is to buy at a price that represents a big discount to that approximation.

这就回到 Ben Graham 了。

That gets back to Ben Graham.

Ben Graham 讲的就是——他提出了一个概念,叫 margin of safety。

Ben Graham was about what he called— he invented this concept of margin of safety.

你想买一家公司的时候,要买在这样一个价格上:就算你对它价值的判断错了,结果它实际只值比你预想低百分之三十,但因为你买入时相对你的估值有足够深的折价,所以你依然没问题。

You want to buy a company at a price if you're wrong about what you think it's worth and it turns out to be worth 30% less, you paid a deep enough discount to your estimate that you're still okay.

这就是投资的核心。

It's about investing.

投资里很大一部分,就是不要亏钱。

A big part of investing is not losing money.

如果你能避免亏钱,然后再抓住几个特别成功的大机会,长期下来你会做得非常非常好。

If you can avoid losing money and then have a few great hits, you can do very, very well over time.
M1
M116:17

嗯,音乐这个领域很有意思,因为对,音乐已经存在很久很久了,但从音乐里赚钱的方式一直在演变。

Well, music is interesting because yes, music's been around for a very long time, but the way to make money from music has been evolving.

就像你提到的 streaming,这里面有一个很大的转变,我想最早是 Napster 引发的,后来又有 Spotify 出现,再加上 Apple 和这一整套东西,整个音乐变现方式都变了。

Like you mentioned streaming, there's a big transition initiated by, I guess, Napster, then created Spotify, of how you make money on music with Apple and with all of this.

问题就在于,像 UMG 这样的公司,到底能多好地适应这种转型?

And the question is, how well are companies like UMG able to adjust to such transformations?

还有一个我想问你关于未来的问题,比如 artificial intelligence 现在已经能够生成音乐了,而且这方面已经有很多惊人的进展。

One I could ask you about the future, which is artificial intelligence being able to generate music, for example, which there have been a lot of amazing advancements with.

所以你也必须把这些考虑进去吗?

So do you have to also think about that?

比如说,当你闭上眼睛,去想所有这些事情的时候,你会不会去设想那些未来可能和现在完全不同的方式,以及这家公司到时候能多大程度上像冲浪一样乘上那股浪潮?

Like when you close your eyes, all the things you think about, are you imagining the possible ways that the future is completely different from the present and how well this company will be able to, like, surf the wave of that?
M2
M217:08

当然。

Sure.

而且他们已经不得不乘过很多次浪了。

And they've had to surf a lot of waves.

其实音乐行业上一次见顶,大概是在九十年代末到两千年前后。

And actually the music business peaked the last time in like the late '90s or 2000 timeframe.

然后说真的,创新、Napster,以及音乐的数字化,几乎把整个行业都给毁了。

And then really innovation, Napster, digitization of music almost killed the industry.

Universal 确实主导了一场拯救整个行业的行动,而且他们还很早就跟 Spotify 达成了协议,这实际上让这个行业真正恢复了过来。

Universal really led an effort to save the industry and actually made an early deal with Spotify that enabled the industry to really recover.

所以,凭借他们的市场地位、他们的公信力,以及他们愿意拥抱新技术这几点,他们一直保住了自己的位置。

So by virtue of their market position and their credibility and their willingness to adopt new technologies, they've kept their position.

当然,他们当时还有一个巨大的优势,因为我觉得 Beatles 是会永远存在的。

Now, they of course had this huge advantage because I think the Beatles are forever.

我觉得 U2 也是会永远存在的。

I think U2 is forever.

我觉得 Rolling Stones 也是会永远存在的。

I think the Rolling Stones are forever.

所以他们手里本来就有一批很不错的资产,这些资产很重要,而且我觉得会一直重要下去。

So they had a nice base of assets that were important and I think will forever be.

永远当然是很长的时间,但话说回来,任何生意里都有各种各样的风险。

Forever is a long time, but again, there are all kinds of risks in every business.

而这个行业在我看来是那种持续性非常强的行业,从某种意义上说,我很难想象一个 streaming 之后的世界。

This is one that I think has a very high degree of persistence, and I can't envision a world beyond streaming in a sense.

以后你脑子里也许装的是 Neuralink 芯片,而不是拿着手机,但音乐还是会以数字化的形式传到你这里。

Now, you may have a Neuralink chip in your head instead of a phone, but the music's going to come in a digitized kind of format.

你还是会想要一个几乎无限的曲库,可以放在口袋里随身带着,或者直接放在脑子里。

You're going to want to have an infinite library that you can walk around with in your pocket or in your brain.

所以设备的形态变了,其实没那么重要。

It's not going to matter that much if the form factor of the device changes.

至于这些所谓的 DSP,也就是服务提供商,到底是 Spotify、Apple 还是 Amazon,其实也没那么重要。

It's not really that important whether it's Spotify or Apple or Amazon that are the so-called DSPs or the providers.

我觉得价值真正所在,还是内容的拥有者,也就是真正的艺术家和唱片公司。

I think the value's really going to reside in the content owners, and that's really the artists and the label.
M1
M118:41

而且我其实觉得,AI 不会成为音乐的主要创作者。

And I actually think AI is not going to be the primary creator of music.

我觉得我们最终会面对这样一个现实:不是说只有音乐存在了几千年,而是音乐人和音乐一直都存在。

I think we're going to actually face the reality that it's not that music has been around for thousands of years, but musicians and music have been around.

比如说,我们其实在乎到底是谁这个音乐人创作了它,就像我们也想知道,一件艺术作品到底是哪位人类艺术家创作的一样。

Like, we actually care to know who's the musician that created it, just like we wanna know who's the artist, human artist, that created a piece of art.
M2
M219:06

我完全同意,而且你仔细想想,过去其实已经有很多其他技术和电脑被用来生成音乐了。

I totally agree, and I think if you think about it, there's lots of other technologies and computers that have been used to generate music over time.

但没有人会爱上一首电脑生成的曲子。

But no one falls in love with a computer-generated track.

Taylor Swift 的音乐当然非常了不起,但这也关乎这位艺术家本人、她的故事、她真实的存在感,还有现场体验。

Taylor Swift, incredible music, but it's also about the artist and her story and her physical presence and the live experience.

我不觉得你会坐在那里,然后有人把一台电脑搬上舞台,它开始播放,大家就会因此特别兴奋。

I don't think you're going to sit there and someone's going to put a computer up on stage and then it's going to play and people are going to get excited around it.

所以我觉得,AI 真正会扮演的角色,是一个帮助艺术家变得更好的工具。

So I think AI is really going to be a tool to make artists better artists.

我觉得这有点像 synthesizer,它其实创造了一种可能,让一个人也能拥有一整个管弦乐队的效果。

And I think like a synthesizer really created the opportunity for one man to have an orchestra.

这对 percussionist 来说也许算是点威胁,但也未必。

Maybe a bit of a threat to a percussionist, but maybe not.

说不定它反而还带来了更多对现场体验的需求。

Maybe it drove even more demand for— for the live experience.
M1
M120:05

除非那台电脑具备像人类一样的感知能力,我认为这是真有可能的,但那样一来,从商业角度看,它其实跟人类也没什么区别了。

Unless that computer has human-like sentience, which I believe is a real possibility, but then it's really, from a business perspective, no different than a human.

如果它有自己的身份,那本质上就意味着名气和影响力,到时候会有一个机器人版的 Taylor Swift,那也就没什么本质区别了。

If it has an identity, that's basically fame and influence, and there'll be a robot Taylor Swift, and it doesn't really matter.
M2
M220:22

嗯,我想那应该算是一种可以受 copyright 保护的资产,对吧?

Well, it's a copyrightable asset, I would think, right?

对。

Yeah.
M1
M120:26

然后还会有——

And then there'll be—.
M2
M220:27

我不太确定那会是一个让我觉得兴奋的世界。

Not sure that's the world I'm excited about.
M1
M120:28

嗯,那就是另外一个话题了。

Well, that's a different discussion.

这个世界要变成它正在变成的样子,可不会先来征求你的同意,不过你还是可以从中赚钱。

The world is not going to ask your permission to become what it is becoming, so, but you can still make money on it.

我猜,应该会有一套资本体系,也会有一些法律来规范 AI——而且我相信 AI 系统会拥有某种类似人权的权利——我们也将不得不面对这到底意味着什么。

Presumably there'd be a capital system and there'd be some laws under which AI, which I believe AI systems will have rights that are akin to human rights, and we're going to have to contend with what that means.
M2
M220:48

嗯,这里面有点像姓名权和肖像权这类东西,是必须要保护的。

Well, there's sort of name and likeness rights that have to be protected.

那现在,一个名字能不能归属于一个 Tesla robot 呢?

Now, can a name be attributed to a Tesla robot?

我不知道。

I don't know.
M1
M120:58

我觉得可以。

I think so.

我觉得这对我来说其实挺明显的。

I think it's quite obvious to me.

好。

Okay.
M2
M221:00

那对我们 Universal 来说,就又多了一些可以代理的潜在艺术家。

So those are more potential artists for us to represent at Universal.
M1
M121:04

没错。

Exactly.
M2
M221:04

没错。

Exactly.
M1
M121:05

好。

All right.
M2
M221:05

这算是一个例子。

That's sort of one example.

另一个例子可能就是餐饮行业,对吧?

Another example could be just the restaurant industry, right?

如果你看像 McDonald's 这样的企业,对吧?

If you look at businesses like a McDonald's, right?

这是一家,怎么说呢,大概是二十世纪五十年代创立的公司。

It's a, whatever, the company's like a 1950-vintage business.

到现在,七十五年过去了,你大致能预测它未来会是什么样子。

And here we are, it's 75 years later and you can kind of predict what it's going to look like over time.

它的菜单会随着时间根据消费者口味做调整。

And the menu's going to adjust over time to consumer tastes.

但我觉得,汉堡和薯条大概会一直存在。

But I think the hamburger and fries is probably forever.
M1
M121:29

The Beatles、The Rolling Stones、汉堡和薯条,都是永恒的。

The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the hamburger and fries are forever.

我昨晚一边准备这些笔记,一边就在 Chipotle 吃饭。

I was eating at Chipotle last night as I was preparing these notes.
M2
M221:37

挺好。

That's cool.

谢谢。

Thank you.

谢谢。

Thank you.
M1
M121:39

对,那里确实是我最喜欢吃饭的地方之一。

And yeah, it is one of my favorite places to eat.

你说那是你会去吃的一家店。

You said it is a place that you eat.

很显然你也投资了它。

You obviously also invest in it.

你在 Chipotle 一般点什么?

What do you get at Chipotle?
M2
M221:49

我一般会点双份鸡肉。

I tend to get a double chicken.
M1
M121:51

Bowl 还是 burrito?

Bowl or burrito?
M2
M221:53

我喜欢 burrito,不过我一般会尽量点 bowl。

I like the burrito, but I generally try to order the bowl.
M1
M121:56

对。

Yeah.
M2
M221:57

把碳水那部分去掉。

Cut the carb part.
M1
M121:57

为了健康,是吧,行。

For health reasons, all right.
M2
M221:59

然后 double chicken、guac、生菜、黑豆。

And double chicken, guac, lettuce, black beans.
M1
M122:03

我更偏爱 steak,就在这儿正式说明一下。

And I'm more of a steak guy, just putting that on the record.

你实际会经历一个什么样的流程?

What's the actual process you go through?

就是字面意思,怎么一步一步搞清楚一家公司的价值。

Like literally, like the process of figuring out what the value of a company is.

比如你怎么做研究?

Like how do you do the research?

是读文件吗?

Is it reading documents?

是跟人聊吗?

Is it talking to people?

你到底怎么做?

How do you do it?
M2
M222:25

拿 Chipotle 来说,最初吸引我们的是,它的股价跌了大概百分之五十。

So Chipotle, what attracted us initially is the stock price dropped by about 50%.

这是一家很棒的公司,概念也很好。

Great company, great concept.

运动员喜欢它,消费者也喜欢它。

Athletes love it, consumers love it.

健康、可持续、新鲜,而且食物是在你眼前现做的。

Healthy, sustainable, fresh food made in front of your eyes.

创始人 Steve Ells 做得非常出色。

And Steve Ells, the founder, did an amazing job.

但归根结底,这家公司缺少一些系统化的管理,而且还出了食品安全问题。

But ultimately, the company was lacking some of the systems and had a food safety issue.

消费者吃出了问题,差点把这个品牌给毁了。

Consumers got sick, almost killed the brand.

但现实是,在 fast food quick service 这个行业里,几乎每一家快餐公司随着时间推移都出过食品安全问题,而绝大多数都挺过来了。

But the reality of the fast food quick service industry is almost every fast food company has had a food safety issue over time, and the vast majority have survived.

所以我们当时说,你看,这个概念太好了,只不过他们处理问题的方式远远不够理想。

And we said, look, such a great concept, but their approach was far from ideal.

不过我们通常都是先从读 SEC filings 开始。

But we start with usually reading the SEC filings.

公司会提交 10-K,也就是 annual report,还会提交这种季度报告,叫 10-Q。

So companies file a 10-K or an annual report, and they file these quarterly reports called 10-Qs.

他们还有 proxy statement,里面会介绍大概的治理结构、董事会架构这些内容。

They have a proxy statement which describes kind of the governance, the board structure.

Conference call transcripts 也都是公开能看到的。

Conference call transcripts are publicly available.

往前回看五年,去了解整个故事脉络,通常会特别有帮助。

It's kind of very helpful to go back 5 years and kind of learn the story.

管理层是这样描述他们的业务的。

Here's how management describes their business.

这是他们说自己接下来要做的事。

Here's what they say they're going to do.

然后你就可以一路跟着看,他们后来到底做了什么。

And then you can follow along to see what they do.

这就像是一份历史记录,能看出他们到底有多能干、说话有多诚实。

It's like a historical record of how competent and truthful they are.

这是个非常有用的工具。

It's a very useful device.

然后当然,还要看看竞争对手,再想想什么东西可能会撼动这家公司。

And then of course, looking at competitors and thinking about what could dislodge this company.

如果这个行业我们不太熟,比如说餐饮行业我们就很熟,音乐行业的话,我们就会去跟行业里的人聊。

And then we'll talk to, if it's an industry we don't know well, we know the restaurant industry really well, music industry, we'll talk to people in the industry.

我们会尽量搞明白 publishing 和 recorded music 之间的区别。

We'll try to understand the difference between publishing and recorded music.

我们会看竞争对手。

We'll look at the competitors.

我们会去交流,也会去看书。

We'll talk to, we'll read books.

我读过一本关于音乐行业的书,或者说好几本这个行业的书。

I read a book about the music industry or a couple books about the industry.

所以这有点像是在做一个大型研究项目。

So it's a bit like a big research project.

现在还有这种所谓的 expert networks,你基本上几乎谁都能约到打电话,他们会跟你聊这个行业里某个你不懂、想深入了解的方面。

And there are these so-called expert networks now, and you can get pretty much anyone on the phone and they'll talk to you about an aspect of the industry that you don't understand and want to learn more about.

就是尽量先形成一种感觉。

Try to get a sense.

公司的公开披露文件通常会给你很多信息,但不会把你想知道的全都告诉你。

Public filings of companies generally give you a lot of information, but not everything you want to know.

而且你还可以通过跟专家聊一聊,更多了解一些行业的运行动态,还有里面的人物个性。

And you can learn more by talking to experts about some of the industry dynamics, the personalities.

你得对管理层有个感觉。

You want to get a sense of management.

我喜欢看 podcast。

I like watching podcasts.

如果一个 CEO 去上 podcast,或者接受 YouTube 采访,你就能大概感受到这个人是什么样。

If a CEO were to do a podcast or a YouTube interview, you get a sense of the people.
M1
M124:48

所以拿 Chipotle 来说吧,顺便说一句,我可以聊 Chipotle 聊一整天。

So in the case of Chipotle, for example, by the way, I could talk about Chipotle all day.

我就是太喜欢它了。

I just love it.

我喜欢它。

I love it.

真希望这期有赞助。

I wish there was a sponsor.
M2
M224:56

我会跟 CEO 提一下。

I'll mention it to the CEO.
M1
M124:58

Bill,别许你做不到的承诺。

Don't make promises you can't keep, Bill.
M2
M225:00

我没在—— Brian Niccol 是个非常棒的 CEO。

I'm not making— Brian Niccol is a fantastic CEO.

他不会花哪怕一美元,除非他觉得这符合公司的最佳利益。

He's not going to spend $1 that he doesn't think is in the company's best interest.
M1
M125:06

好吧。

All right.

我唯一想要的就是免费的 Chipotle。

All I want is free Chipotle.

拜托了。

Come on now.
M2
M225:10

我刚才说到哪儿了?

What was I saying?
M1
M125:11

哦,所以你看像 Chipotle 这样的公司,然后你会看到它历史上有过一个艰难时刻,就像你说的,曾经出过食品安全问题。然后你就会想,好,我看到一条可以把这个问题修复好的路径,因此哪怕现在价格很低,我们也能把它带到那个价格回到其价值的位置。

Oh, and so you look at a company like Chipotle and then you see there's a difficult moment in its history, like you said, that there was a food safety issue and then you say, okay, well, I see a path where we can fix this and therefore, even though the price is low, we can get it to where the price goes up to its value.

嗯哼。

Mm-hmm.
M2
M225:32

所以,我们要找的这类生意,其实有点像每个人都应该去找的那种生意,对吧?

So the kind of business we're looking for is sort of the kind of business everyone should be looking for, right?

就是伟大的生意。

A great business.

它在未来很长时间里都有长期增长的轨迹,甚至远远超出你现在能看见的范围,对吧?

It's got a long-term trajectory of growth out into the future, even beyond the foreseeable distance, right?

这就是你想持有的那类生意。

Those are the kind of businesses you want to own.

你想要的是那种能产生大量现金的生意。

You want businesses that generate a lot of cash.

你想要的是那种你很容易理解的生意。

You want businesses you can easily understand.

你想要的是那种有非常高进入壁垒的生意,让别人很难跟它竞争。

You want businesses with these sort of huge barriers to entry where it's difficult for others to compete.

你想要的是那种不需要不停融资的公司。

You want companies that don't have to constantly raise capital.

这些都是世界上一些非常伟大的企业,但大家也已经意识到,它们就是伟大的企业。

These are some of the great businesses of the world, but people have figured out that those are the great businesses.

问题在于,这些公司的股价通常都很高,而它们的价值一般也已经反映在你为这门生意要付的价格里了。

The problem is those companies tend to have very high stock prices, and the value is generally built into the price you have to pay for the business.

如果我们付出非常高的价格,就没法为投资人赚到我们想要的那种回报。

We can't earn the kind of returns we want to earn for investors by paying a really high price.

价格非常重要。

Price matters a lot.

你可以买到世界上最好的生意,但如果你买贵了,你也不会获得特别有吸引力的回报。

You can buy the best business in the world, and if you overpay, you're not going to earn particularly attractive returns.

我们会介入这样的情况:一家很棒的企业犯了一个大错,或者有一家公司有点迷失了方向,但还是有机会救回来的。

We get involved in cases where a great business has kind of made a big mistake or you have a company that's kind of lost its way, but it's recoverable.

这时候——我们会从那些失望了、失去信心的股东手里买入,他们卖出的价格,相对于这家公司如果被修复后应有的价值来说,是很低的。

And that's— we buy from shareholders who are disappointed, who've lost confidence, selling at a low price relative to what it's worth if fixed.

然后我们会努力帮忙把这家公司修好。

And then we try to be helpful in fixing the company.
M1
M126:47

你刚才提到进入壁垒,你在不到十秒钟的一连串表述里,很快讲了很多公司很有意思的特质。

You said that barriers to entry, you said a lot of really interesting qualities of companies very quickly in a sequence of statements that took less than 10 seconds to say.

但其中有些特别吸引人。

But some of them were fascinating.

其实全部都很吸引人。

All of them were fascinating.

所以你提到了进入壁垒。

So you said barriers to entry.

你怎么判断,是不是有某种护城河在保护它,不让竞争对手轻易冲上来参战?

How do you know if there's a type of moat protecting the competitors from stepping up to the plate?
M2
M227:12

我的意思是,作为投资人,最难做的分析就是这个。

I mean, the most difficult analysis to do as an investor is that.

就是要搞清楚,这条护城河到底有多宽?

It's kind of figuring out how wide is the moat?

这个生意到底有多大风险会被颠覆?

How much at risk is the business to disruption?

而且我会说,我们现在正处在历史上最容易被颠覆的一个时期,对吧?

And we're in, I would say, the greatest period of disruptibility in history, right?

靠着技术,两个十九岁的年轻人可以从某所大学退学,或者也许他们一开始就没上过大学。

Technology, a couple of 19-year-olds can leave whatever university, or maybe they didn't even go in the first place.

他们也能融到几百万美元。

They can raise millions of dollars.

他们可以获得近乎无限的带宽和存储。

They can get access to infinite bandwidth, storage.

他们可以在全球低成本市场上雇用工程师。

They can contract with engineers in low-cost markets around the world.

他们可以搭建一家虚拟公司,然后随着时间推移,去颠覆那些看起来已经非常稳固的企业。

They can build a virtual company and they can disrupt businesses that seem super established over time.

再加上,还有一些市值好几万亿美元的大公司,也在想尽办法到处找利润。

Then on top of that, you have major companies with multi-trillion-dollar market caps working to find profits wherever they can.

从某种意义上说,作为投资人,这是个很危险的世界。

That's a dangerous world in a way to be an investor.

你必须找到那种很难想象它们会被颠覆的企业。

You have to find businesses that it's hard to foresee a world in which they get disrupted.

餐饮行业的美妙之处在于,而且实际上——我们最好的投资业绩就是在餐饮上。

The beauty of the restaurant business, and we've actually— our best track record is in restaurants.

我们从来没亏过钱。

We've never lost money.

有意思的是,我们在餐饮投资上赚到的,一直都是大钱。

We've only made a fortune, interestingly, investing in restaurants.

很大一部分原因是,这本质上是个非常简单的生意。

A big part of it's a really simple business.

如果你把 Chipotle 做对了,在一百家店的时候,其实不难想象它能开到两百家,然后再到五百家。

If you get Chipotle right and you're at 100 stores, it's not so hard to envision getting to 200 stores and then getting to 500 stores.

关键在于保持品牌形象、聪明地扩张,还有建立正确的系统。

The key is maintaining the brand image, growing intelligently, having the right systems.

但当你要从一百家店做到三千五百家店时,你就必须非常清楚自己在做什么。

Now, when you go from 100 stores to 3,500 stores, you have to know what you're doing.

这里面有很多复杂性。

There's a lot of complexity.

你想想你家附近的那种餐馆,一家人都在店里干活,他们盯着收银台,你大概还能在城另一头再开一家,但真正能拥有超过几家餐厅、还能把它们成功运营好的餐饮经营者,其实非常少。

If you think about your local restaurant, the family's working in the business, they're watching the cash register, and you can probably open another restaurant across town, but there are very few restaurant operators that own more than a few restaurants and operate them successfully.

快餐服务这个行业,核心就在于系统,以及建立一种模式,让一个并不了解餐饮业的外行人也能进来做这个生意,并且把加盟店经营成功。

The quick-service business is about systems and building a model that a stranger who doesn't know the restaurant industry can come in and enter the business and build a successful franchise.

当然,Chipotle 不是加盟公司。

Now, Chipotle's not a franchise company.

他们实际上所有门店都是自己持有的。

They actually own all their own stores.

但很多最成功的餐饮公司,都是加盟模式,比如 Burger King、McDonald's、Tim Hortons,还有各种各样的品牌,像 Popeyes。

But many of the most successful restaurant companies are franchise models, like a Burger King, a McDonald's, Tim Hortons, all these various brands, Popeyes.

而这里面讲的就是系统。

And there it's about systems.

不过不管是所有门店都归自己、由一家大公司统一运营,还是餐厅老板本身是加盟商、是本地创业者,本质上用的都是同样的系统。

But the same systems apply whether you own all the stores and it's run by a big corporation or whether the owners of the restaurants are sort of franchisees, local entrepreneurs.
M1
M129:40

所以如果一家餐饮公司已经扩张到某个规模,就说明他们已经摸索出了一套行得通的系统。

So if the restaurant has scaled to a certain number, that means they've figured out some kind of system that works.
M2
M229:46

对。

Yes.
M1
M129:46

而且要建立那样一套系统是非常难的。

And it's very difficult to develop that kind of system.

所以这就是护城河。

So that's a moat.
M2
M229:49

所谓护城河,就是你做到一定规模,而且做得很成功,这时候消费者已经理解并认同这个品牌了。

A moat is you get to a certain scale and you do it successfully, and the brand is now understood by the consumer.

而 Chipotle 有意思的地方在于,他们做到的这些事其实很难。

And what's interesting about Chipotle is what they've achieved is difficult.

他们不是采购冷冻汉堡肉直接运过来。

They're not buying frozen hamburgers getting shipped in.

他们买的是新鲜的、可持续来源的食材。

They're buying fresh, sustainably sourced ingredients.

他们是在门店里现场备餐。

They're preparing food in the store.

这在当时是第一次。

That was a first.

Chipotle 的产品质量高得惊人。

The quality of the product at Chipotle is incredible.

这是你能买到的最高品质的食物之一——不到二十美元,你就能吃上一顿很像样的正餐,而且吃得很健康,用的还是高品质食材。

It's the highest quality food you can get for— you can get a serious dinner for under $20 and eat really healthfully and very high-quality ingredients.

而这个在别的地方就是没有。

And that's just not available anywhere else.

而且,要复制这个、去跟全国各地的农民建立这种关系,是非常难的。

And it's very hard to replicate and to build those relationships with farmers around the country.

你跟那种大型、超大型的食品生产商直接谈一笔交易,从他们那儿买猪肉,要比跟全国一大堆农民分别采购容易多了。

It's a lot easier to make a deal with one of the big, massive food producers and buy your pork from them than to buy from a whole bunch of farmers around the country.

这对 Chipotle 来说就是很深的护城河,非常难复制。

That is a big moat for Chipotle, very difficult to replicate.
M1
M130:46

顺便问一句,我记得你好像还持有 McDonald's 的股份,对吗?

By the way, another company I think you have a stake in is McDonald's?
M2
M230:49

没有。

No.

我们持有一家叫 Restaurant Brands 的公司。

We own a company called Restaurant Brands.

Restaurant Brands 旗下有好几家快餐连锁,其中一家就是 Burger King。

Restaurant Brands owns a number of quick-service companies, one of which is Burger King.
M1
M130:56

Burger King。

Burger King.

好吧,这个已经被做成 meme 很久了,不过我—— Burger King 也很棒,Wendy's 也是,随便啦。

Okay, well, it's been a meme for a while, but I've— Burger King is great too, Wendy's, whatever.

但通常我还是去 McDonald's。

But usually I go McDonald's.

我就直接吃汉堡肉饼。

I'll just eat burger patties.

我不知道你知不知道这个操作,但在 Burger King 买汉堡肉饼——在 McDonald's 也可以这么做。

I don't know if you knew you could do this, but a burger patty at Burger King— you can do this at McDonald's.

其实便宜多了。

It's actually way cheaper.
M2
M231:13

他们会直接把肉饼卖给你。

They'll just sell you the patty.
M1
M131:14

对,就单买肉饼,而且很便宜。

The patty, and it's cheap.

差不多一块五到两美元一个肉饼,大概二百五十卡路里,而且就是纯肉。

It's like $1.50 or $2 per patty, and it's about 250 calories, and it's just meat.

而且尽管外面有各种批评和 meme,说真的,那其实是挺健康的食物。

And despite, like, the criticism and memes out there, that's pretty healthy stuff.

是很健康的。

It's healthy stuff.

所以我一旦——就是我只要开始——我状态最好的时候,就是我吃 carnivore 的时候。

And so when I do— when I go— the healthiest I feel is when I do carnivore.

听起来可能不健康,但如果我只吃肉,我感觉就特别好。

It doesn't sound healthy, but if I eat only meat, I feel really good.

我会瘦下来。

I lose weight.

我会有特别多精力。

I have all this energy.

真的很夸张。

It's crazy.

而我在路上旅行的时候,最容易搞到肉的方法就是这个。

And when I'm traveling, the easiest way to get meat is that.
M2
M231:42

所以你去 McDonald's,一次点六个肉饼。

So you go to McDonald's, you order six patties.
M1
M131:43

没错。

Exactly.

所以网上有个很惨的 meme,说我出差旅行时一个人孤零零地坐在车里,就在 McDonald's 啃牛肉饼。

So there's this sad meme of me just sitting alone in a car when I'm traveling, just eating beef patties at McDonald's.

但我很喜欢。

But I love it.

人就得做自己喜欢、让自己开心的事。

And you gotta do what you love, what makes you happy.
M2
M231:54

好吧,也许我们可以让 Burger King 出现在里面。

Okay, maybe we'll have Burger King feature in it.

那火烤的怎么样?

What about flame-broiled?

这些油炸汉堡到底是怎么回事?

What's with these fried burgers?

我们得带你去试试 Burger King 的烤汉堡。

We got to get you to Burger King grilled burgers.
M1
M132:02

等等,这算是那种快餐垃圾食品吗?

Wait, is this like fast-food trash?

我也不知道它们具体是怎么做出来的。

I don't know the details of how they're made.

我对 McDonald's 也没什么忠诚度。

I don't have allegiance to McDonald's.
M2
M232:08

我觉得我们有机会把你转到 Burger King 阵营。

I think we got a chance to switch you to Burger King.
M1
M132:10

太好了。

Great.

走着瞧吧。

We'll see.

我今天谈成了好多交易。

I'm making so many deals today.

真棒。

It's wonderful.

好。

Okay.

你刚才在说护城河,这让我想到了 Alphabet。

You were talking about moats, and this kind of reminded me of Alphabet.

就是那家母公司。

The parent company.
M2
M232:21

对。

Sure.

这是我们一个很大的持仓。

It's a big position for us.
M1
M132:23

所以很有意思,你觉得 Alphabet 可能符合其中一些特征。

So it's interesting that you think that maybe Alphabet fits some of these characteristics.

现在 AI 这边发生了这么多事,这事挺难判断的,而且我很快也要采访 Sundar Pichai。

It's tricky to know with everything that's happening in AI, and I'm interviewing Sundar Pichai soon.

你觉得它有护城河,这点很有意思;同时拿它来分析也很有意思,因为消费者本质上就只是技术的粉丝。

It's interesting that you think that there's a moat, and it's also interesting to analyze it because the consumer is just a fan of technology.

Google 为什么到现在还这么稳?

Why is Google still around?

它可不只是个搜索引擎。

It's not just a search engine.

它不光把搜索这门生意最基础的东西做得特别好,同时他们还在做这么多别的事。

It's doing all the basics of the business of search really well, but they're doing all this other stuff.

那你对 Alphabet 的分析是什么?

So what's your analysis of Alphabet?

你为什么到现在还是看好它?

Why are you still positive about it?
M2
M233:01

当然。

Sure.

这家公司算是我们这家机构欣赏了十五年左右的业务,但它很少跌到一个我们觉得可以持有的价格,因为说到底,市场预期一直都太高了,而价格真的非常重要。

So it's a business we've admired as a firm for whatever, 15 years, but rarely got to a price that we felt we could own it because again, the expectations were so high and price really matters.

而且说实话,我会把那次称作某种 AI 恐慌。

And really the sort of AI scare, I would call it.

Microsoft 推出了 ChatGPT,他们做了一场非常惊艳的演示。

Microsoft comes out with ChatGPT, they do an amazing demonstration.

大家都在说,这产品简直太不可思议了。

People are like, this most incredible product.

而 Google,很明显,比 Microsoft 更早就在做 AI 了。

And Google, which had been working on AI even earlier, obviously, than Microsoft.

Microsoft 在 AI 方面原本是落后的。

Microsoft was behind in AI.

其实真的是他们和 ChatGPT 的那笔合作,才让他们算是有了一种市场存在感。

It was really their ChatGPT deal that gave them a kind of a market presence.

然后 Google 又做了这场相当灾难性的 Bard 演示。

And then Google does this fairly disastrous demonstration of Bard.

于是全世界就说,天哪,Google 在 AI 上落后了。

And the world says, oh my God, Google's fallen behind in AI.

AI 就是未来。

AI is the future.

股价被狠狠砸下去。

Stock gets crushed.

Google 的估值跌到大概十五倍市盈率左右,对这么高质量的业务来说,这是一个极其极其低的价格。

Google gets to a price around 15 times earnings, which for a business of this quality is an extremely, extremely low price.

我们对 Google 的看法,有一种理解方式是这样的:当一个企业的名字变成了动词,这通常就说明这家企业的护城河非常深。

And our view on Google, one way to think about it, when a business becomes a verb, that's usually a pretty good sign about the moat around the business.

你打开电脑,打开搜索,全世界有非常高比例的人,一开始面对的就是一个 Google 页面,还有一行让你输入搜索内容的地方。

So you'd open your computer and you open your search, and a very high percentage of the world starts with a Google page and one line where you type in your search.

Google 的广告、搜索、YouTube 这个业务体系,是全球最有统治力的业务体系之一,非常难被颠覆,而且利润极高。

The Google advertising, search, YouTube franchise is one of the most dominant franchises in the world, very difficult to disrupt, extremely profitable.

全世界的广告投放正在从线下转向线上,而我觉得这个趋势还会继续。

The world is moving from offline advertising to online advertising, and that trend I think continues.

为什么呢?

Why?

因为你真的能看见你的广告到底有没有效果。

Because you can actually see whether your ads work.

以前大家会说,广告这件事,你砸进去一大笔钱,但你根本不知道其中哪百分之五十是有效的,不过你还是会花这笔钱,因为你知道最终它总会把客户带进来。

They used to say about advertising, you spend a fortune and you just don't know which 50% of it works, but you just sort of spend the money because you know ultimately that's going to bring in the customer.

而现在有了线上广告,你可以非常细致地看到,我花出去的每一块钱里,当别人点了某个搜索词,最后又买了东西,我才付费。

And now with online advertising, you can see with granularity which dollars I'm spending, when people click on the search term and end up buying something, and I pay.

对广告主来说,这个投资回报率非常高,而他们在这个业务上确实是绝对主导。

It's a very high return on investment for the advertiser and they really dominate that business.

当然,AI 也是一种风险。

Now, AI of course is a risk.

如果突然之间,人们开始用 ChatGPT 来搜索或者提问,而不是先从 Google 的搜索栏开始,那对这家公司来说就是风险。

If all of a sudden people start searching or asking questions of ChatGPT and don't start with the Google search bar, that's a risk to the company.

所以根据我们做过的研究以及和行业专家的交流,我们的看法是,Google 要真说起来,恰恰因为他们投入了这么多资金,以及这么多年投入的时间和精力,我们觉得他们的 AI 能力如果说有什么区别的话,可能比 Microsoft 的 ChatGPT 还更强。

And so our view based on work we had done and talked to industry experts is that Google, if anything, had a— by virtue of the investment they've made and the time, the energy that people put into it, we felt their AI capabilities were, if anything, potentially greater than Microsoft's ChatGPT.

而市场对此反应过度了。

And that the market had overreacted.

再加上 Google 是一家大公司,是全球化业务,监管机构对它的审查严得惊人。

And because Google is a big company, global business, regulators scrutinize it incredibly carefully.

他们在发布产品时,没法像 OpenAI 这样的初创公司那样,采取同样程度的放开手脚。

They couldn't take some of the same liberties a startup like OpenAI did in releasing a product.

而我觉得,Google 在发布 Bard 的早期版本时,在能力展示上采取了更谨慎的做法。

And I think Google took a more cautious approach in releasing an early version of Bard in terms of its capabilities.

这就让全世界以为他们已经落后了。

And that led the world to believe that they were behind.

我们最终的结论是,如果真要说的话,他们不是打平,就是领先,而你现在的价格里,几乎完全没有为这块潜在业务付钱。

We ultimately concluded, if any, they're tied or ahead and you're paying nothing for that potential business.

而且他们还天然拥有巨大的优势。

And they also have huge advantages by virtue.

你想想 Google 手里有多少数据,比如搜索数据,还有各种各样的应用、email 等等,以及整个 Google 的产品套件。

You think of all the data Google has, like the search data, all the various applications, email and otherwise, and kind of the Google suite of products.

这是一个不可思议的数据集。

It's an incredible dataset.

所以他们拥有的训练数据,基本上比世界上几乎任何一家公司都更多。

So they have more training data than pretty much any company in the world.

他们有非常厉害的工程师。

They have incredible engineers.

他们有非常雄厚的财务资源。

They have enormous financial resources.

所以这大概就是当时的押注。

So that was kind of the bet.

而且我们现在依然觉得,按你为这家公司当前盈利所支付的价格来看,它很可能还是 Big 7 里面最便宜的一家。

And we still think it's probably the cheapest of the Big 7 companies in terms of price you're paying for the business relative to its current earnings.

这也是一家在效率提升上有很大潜力的公司。

It also is a business that has a lot of potential for efficiency.

有时候,当你拥有这样一家利润高得惊人的龙头公司时,后 March 20 时代的所有科技公司,团队规模都扩张得非常厉害,他们大概率也招人招过头了。

Sometimes when you have this enormously profitable dominant company, all of the technology companies in the post-March '20 world grew enormously in terms of their teams and they probably overhired.

所以你已经看到,像 Facebook 这类公司,现在甚至连 Google,也开始在运营层面变得更有效率一点了。

So you've seen some—the Facebooks of the world and now even Google—starting to get a little more efficient in terms of their operations.

所以我们当时是以一个很低的倍数买入这家公司。

So we paid a low multiple for the business.

理解这家公司价值的一种方式,就是看你为它的盈利支付了什么价格。

One way to think about the value of the business is the price you pay for the earnings.

或者换个说法,收益率是多少?

Alternatively, what's the yield?

如果你把价格除以盈利反过来看,基本上就能得到这家公司的收益率。

If you flip the price over the earnings, it gives you kind of the yield of the business.

所以十五倍的估值,差不多就接近百分之七点五的收益率,而且随着业务增长,这个盈利收益率还会继续上升。

So a 15 multiple is almost a 7.5% yield, and that earnings yield is growing over time as the business grows.

跟你把钱借给政府能赚到的收益相比,也就是百分之四,这个初始收益率就非常有吸引力了。

Compared to what you can earn lending your money to the government, 4%, that's a very attractive going-in yield.

另外,他们做的各种业务和投资里,还有很多我们所说的 optionality,也就是额外的上行可能,虽然这些项目现在还在亏钱。

Then there's all kinds of what we call optionality in all the various businesses and investments they've made that are losing money.

他们有一个增长非常快的 cloud 业务,但他们基本上把这个业务百分之百的利润都继续投进去做增长了。

They've got a cloud business that's growing very rapidly, but they're investing basically 100% of the profits from that business in growth.

所以在那个盈利数字里,你其实看不到 cloud 业务贡献的任何利润。

So in that earnings number, you're not seeing any earnings from the cloud business.

而且他们还是 cloud 领域的头部玩家之一。

And they're one of the top cloud players.

所以这是一家非常有意思、整体管理得不错的公司,拥有惊人的资产、资源和主导地位。

So very interesting, generally well-managed company with incredible assets and resources and dominance.

而且它没有负债。

And it has no debt.

它手上有大量现金。

It's got a ton of cash.

所以这是个相当不错的故事。

And so pretty good story.
M1
M137:59

AI 有没有什么根本性的不同,会让这一切变得更复杂?

Is there something fundamentally different about AI that makes all of this more complicated?

我的意思是,当你看 Meta、Microsoft、Alphabet、Google、这些公司、xAI,或者也许一些创业公司的时候,AI 可能创造出的产品类型和影响,带着一种指数级的可能性。

Which is sort of the exponential possibilities of the kinds of products and impact that AI could create when you're looking at Meta, Microsoft, Alphabet, Google, all these companies, xAI, or maybe startups?

AI 的这些可能性,会不会引入更多风险?

Is there some more risk introduced by the possibilities of AI?
M2
M238:28

绝对会。

Absolutely.

这是个很好的问题。

That's a great question.

商业投资的核心,就是找到那些不容易被颠覆的公司。

Business investing is about finding companies that can't be disrupted.

而 AI 恰恰就是那种最容易带来颠覆的资产或者技术。

AI is the ultimate disruptible asset or technology.

而这也正是投资危险的地方:你持有一家利润高得惊人的公司,管理层变得有点安逸自满了,然后一种新技术突然出现,直接把他们的盈利能力全拿走了。

And that's what makes investing treacherous, is that you own a business that's enormously profitable, management gets, if you will, fat and happy, and then a new technology emerges that just takes away all their profitability.

而 AI 就是这样一种强大得惊人的工具,所以每家公司都在问,怎么把 AI 用到自己的业务里,让我们更赚钱、更成功、增长更快,同时也去颠覆别人,或者保护自己不被 incumbents 压制。

And AI is this incredibly powerful tool, which is why every business is saying, how can I use AI in my business to make us more profitable, more successful, grow faster, and also disrupt or protect ourselves from the incumbents.

这有点像 Buffett 说的那种伟大企业,就像一座城堡,外面围着一条特别宽的护城河,但总有一群野蛮人想冲进来,把公主抢走。

It's a bit like Buffett talks about a great business like a castle surrounded by this really wide moat, but you have all these barbarians trying to get in and steal the princess.

而且这种事确实会发生。

And it happens.

比如说 Kodak,曾经就是一家了不起、强势到惊人的公司。

Kodak, for example, was an amazing, incredibly dominant company.

直到它消失了。

Until it disappeared.

还有 Polaroid,那也是非常惊人的技术。

Polaroid, this incredible technology.

所以这也是为什么我们往往会避开那些 technology companies,因为科技公司通常都处在一个变化特别快的世界里,总有人在做一个更好的版本。

And that's why we have tended to stay away from companies that are technology companies because technology companies generally, the world is such a dynamic place that someone's always working on a better version.

Kodak 就是被困在 analog film 的世界里,后来世界变了。

And Kodak was caught up in the analog film world and then the world changed.
M1
M139:48

嗯,Google 原本也挺滋润、挺安逸的,直到 ChatGPT 出现。

Well, Google was pretty fat and happy until ChatGPT came out.

你会怎么评价他们惊醒过来、瘦身、不再那么安逸,然后更有攻击性地重新去寻找那种幸福感的能力?

How would you rate their ability to wake up, lose weight, and be less happy and aggressively rediscover their search for happiness.
M2
M240:03

我觉得过去这一年你已经看到了很多这种变化。而且我会说,某种程度上的羞耻感和自豪感的结合,是非常强的驱动力,对 Sergey Brin 也好,对公司的管理层也好,都是这样。

I think you've seen a lot of that in the last year, and I would say some combination of embarrassment and pride are huge motivators for everyone from Sergey Brin, you know, to the management of the company.
M1
M140:18

还有 Demis Hassabis,也得把他算进去,还有所有 DeepMind 的团队,还有团队整合,以及各种调整重组之类的。

And Demis Hassabis, throw him into the picture, and all of the DeepMind teams and the unification of teams and like all the shakeups.

看着这一切挺有意思的。

It was interesting to watch.

那种混乱,我很喜欢。

The chaos, I love it.

我就喜欢看所有人都慌起来。

I love it when everybody freaks out.

就像你说的,一部分是尴尬,一部分是那种驱动工程师前进的竞争心,这很棒。

Like you said, partly embarrassment and partly that competitive drive that drives engineers is great.

我已经迫不及待想看看接下来会怎样了——产品这边确实已经有了很多提升。

I can't wait to see what— there's been just a lot of improvement in the product.

我们看看它会走到哪一步。

Let's see where it goes.

你刚才提到了 management。

You mentioned management.

你是怎么分析一家公司的治理结构,以及那些作为管理者的具体个人的?

How do you analyze the governance structure and the individual humans that are the managers of a company?
M2
M240:50

所以就像我常说的,incentives。

So as I like to say, incentives.

驱动着所有人的行为。

Drive all human behavior.

这在商业世界里当然也一样适用。

That certainly applies in the business world.

所以,去理解这些人,理解是什么在驱动他们,以及一家企业实际的财务激励和其他激励是什么,这是投资分析里非常重要的一部分。

So understanding the people and what drives them and what the actual financial and other incentives of a business are, very important part of the analysis for investing in a company.

你能从中学到很多。

You can learn a lot.

我之前提过,了解一家企业的一个很好的方法,就是回头看过去十年,读管理层写过的所有关于这家企业的东西,再看看他们一路以来到底做了什么。

I mentioned before, one great way to learn about a business is go back a decade and read everything that management has written about the business and see what they've done over time.

看看他们说过什么。

See what they've said.

Conference calls 其实是相对比较新的东西。

Conference calls are actually relatively recent.

我刚入行的时候,还没有 conference call transcript。

When I started in the business, there weren't conference call transcripts.

现在,你可以看到一份书面记录,里面有管理层在各种会议上以及其他场合,回应分析师提问时说过的每一句话。

Now you have a written record of everything management has said in response to questions from analysts at conferences and otherwise.

所以你只要去听一个人怎么说话、怎么回答问题,以及最终他们有没有做到自己说会做到的事,你就能从中了解很多关于这个人的东西。

So just, you learn a lot about people by listening to what they say, how they answer questions, and ultimately their track record for doing what they say they're going to do.

他们是不是会少承诺、多兑现?

Do they underpromise and overdeliver?

他们是不是会过度承诺、结果兑现不了?

Do they overpromise and underdeliver?

他们会不会说到做到?

Do they say what they're going to do?

他们会不会承认错误?

Do they admit mistakes?

他们能不能组建很强的团队?

Do they build great teams?

大家会不会想来给他们工作?

Do people want to come work for them?

他们能不能留住人才?

Are they able to retain their talent?

然后其中一部分还要看,他们到底有多大程度上是在为了公司的利益经营这门生意。

Then part of it is, how much are they running the business for the benefit of the business?

又有多大程度上是在为了他们自己的利益经营这门生意。

How much are they running the business for the benefit of themselves?

这大概就是你要做的分析。

That's kind of the analysis you do.
M1
M142:11

我们说的是 CEO、COO 这种吗?

Are we talking about CEO, COO?

management 是什么意思?

What does management mean?

这个范围有多深?

How deep does it go?

好。

Sure.
M2
M242:18

所以,这种非常高层的管理层重要得不得了。

So this very senior management matters enormously.

我们拿 Chipotle 举例。

We use the Chipotle example.

Steve Ells 是个很棒的创业者,但公司做到那个规模之后,他其实已经驾驭不了了。

Steve Ells, great entrepreneur, business got to a scale he really couldn't run it.

我们找来了一个叫 Brian 的人——帮公司招来了一个叫 Brian Niccol 的人,他当时被认为是 quick-service 行业里最合适的人选。

We recruited a guy named Brian— helped the company recruit a guy named Brian Niccol, and he was considered the best person in the quick-service industry.

他进来以后,彻底重建了这家公司。

He came in and completely rebuilt the company.

其实,我们还把公司搬了。

Actually, we moved the company.

Chipotle 被搬到了 California。

Chipotle was moved to California.

有时候,重塑一家公司文化的一种办法,就是直接在地理上把它搬走。

And sometimes one way to redo the culture of a company is just to move it geographically.
M1
M142:46

对。

Yeah.
M2
M242:47

这样你基本上就能把这门生意重新启动一遍。

Then you can kind of reboot the business.

不过,一个伟大的领导者,身后一定会有很强的追随者。

But a great leader has great followership.

在他们的职业生涯里,他们会建立起一个团队,而这个团队会在下一个机会出现时继续跟着他们走。

Over the course of their career, they'll have a team they've built that will come follow them into the next opportunity.

但关键其实还是,最上面那个人重要得不得了,然后就是看他们会招什么人。

But the key is really the top person matters enormously, and then it's who they recruit.

你招来一个 A+ 级别的领导者,他们就会再去招其他 A 类的人。

You recruit an A+ leader and they're going to recruit other A-type people.

你要是招来一个 B 级领导者,那你就别指望他们下面还能招到什么顶尖人才了。

You recruit a B leader, you're not going to recruit any great talent beneath them.
M1
M143:14

你刚才提到了 Warren Buffett。

You mentioned Warren Buffett.

你说过,作为投资人,你很欣赏他。

You said you admire him as an investor.

你觉得他的投资方法里,最有意思、最有力量的地方是什么?

What do you find most interesting and powerful about his approach?

他的投资方式里,哪些也是你自己会实践的?

What aspects of his approach to investing do you also practice?
M2
M243:27

当然。

Sure.

我在投资这个行业里学到的大部分东西,都是从 Warren Buffett 那儿学来的。

Most of what I've learned in the investment business, I've learned from Warren Buffett.

他算是我在这个行业里最重要的一位老师。

He's been my great professor of this business.

我在这个行业里读的第一本书是 Ben Graham 的《The Intelligent Investor》,但很快你就会开始了解 Warren Buffett。

My first book I read in the business was Ben Graham's The Intelligent Investor, but fairly quickly you get to learn about Warren Buffett.

我一开始是读 Berkshire Hathaway 的年报。

I started by reading the Berkshire Hathaway annual reports.

后来我又找到了 Buffett partnership letters,也就是他早年合伙基金写给投资人的那些信。那些东西读起来特别精彩,你可以一路回看到上世纪五十年代中期,读他刚起步时写给有限合伙人的内容,然后沿着那条轨迹看他在很长时间里的发展。

Then I eventually got the Buffett partnership letters that you could see, which are an amazing read to go back to the mid-1950s and read what he wrote to his limited partners when he first started out and just follow that trajectory over a long period of time.

他最了不起的地方,第一,是持续的时间。

What's remarkable about him is one, duration.

他九十三岁了还在做。

He's still at it at 93.

第二,他看问题的周期非常长。

Two, he takes a very long-term view.

但你从他身上学到的一个很重要的点是,投资需要一种极其冷静、不带情绪的特质。

But a big thing that you learn from him, investing requires this incredible dispassionate, unemotional quality.

你必须在经济上非常理性,而这不是一种基本本能——这不是你在丛林里能学到的东西。

You have to be extremely economically rational, which is not basic—it's not something you learn in the jungle.

我觉得这也不是那种——如果你想想在丛林里生存,狮子一出现,大家开始跑,你也会跟着一起跑。

I don't think it's something that—if you think about surviving in the jungle, the lion shows up, and everyone starts running, you run with them.

但这套在市场里并不好使。

That does not work well in markets.

事实上,通常你得反着来。

In fact, you generally have to do the opposite.

当大家像旅鼠一样往悬崖下冲的时候,恰恰是你该朝相反方向看、朝相反方向跑的时候。也就是说,你要进场,你要在股价非常低的时候买股票。

When the lemmings are running over the cliff, that's the time where you're facing the other direction and you're running the other direction, i.e., you're stepping in, you're buying stocks at really low prices.

Buffett 在这方面一直做得非常好,而且也很擅长教人理解他所说的 temperament,也就是你需要具备的那种情绪上的、或者说不带情绪的特质,让你能冷静地看这个世界,然后说,好,这是真实的风险吗?

Buffett's been great at that and great at teaching about what he calls temperament, which is this sort of emotional kind of, or unemotional quality that you need to be able to dispassionately look at the world and say, okay, is this a real risk?

还是说,人们反应过度了?

Are people overreacting?

人们往往会在股票上涨的时候对投资很兴奋,而在股票下跌的时候变得很沮丧。

People tend to get excited about investments when stocks are going up and they get depressed when they're going down.

我觉得这就是人性。

I think that's just inherently human.

你得把这个反过来。

You have to reverse that.

东西变便宜的时候你要兴奋起来,而东西变贵的时候你反而要开始警惕。

You have to get excited when things get cheaper and you got to get concerned when things get more expensive.
M1
M145:23

你经历过一些很大的硬仗,也经历过一些很大的亏损和很大的胜利。

You've been a part of some big battles, some big losses, some big wins.

所以这一路就像坐过山车一样。

So it's been a roller coaster.

那从 temperament,也就是心理层面来说,你怎么不让这些事情把你击垮?

So in terms of temperament, psychologically, how do you not let that break you?

你怎么保持冷静,不去跟着那些旅鼠一起跑?

How do you maintain a calm demeanor and avoid running with the lemmings?
M2
M245:44

我觉得这有点像是你随着时间慢慢学会的。

I think it's something you kind of learn over time.

一个关键的成功因素是,你得确保银行里有足够的钱,这样不管市场波动成什么样,你都能活下来。

A key success factor is you want to have enough money in the bank that you're going to survive regardless of what's going on with volatility in markets.

第一,人们不应该借钱。

People who— one, you shouldn't borrow money.

所以如果你借了钱,用保证金持有股票,市场又在下跌,而且你的生计都面临风险,那就很难保持理性。

So if you borrow money, you own stocks on margin, markets are going down, and you have your livelihood at risk, it's very difficult to be rational.

所以关键是,要让自己处在一个财务上有安全感的位置。

So key is getting yourself to a place where you're financially secure.

你不会把房子赔掉。

You're not going to lose your house.

这算是一个很关键的事。

That's kind of a key thing.

然后还有,就是要把功课做足。

And then also doing your homework.

股价——股票在短期内什么价格都可能交易出来。

Stock prices— stocks can trade at any price in the short term.

如果你知道一家企业值多少钱,也理解它的管理层,对它非常非常了解,那么当股价下跌的时候,这对你的困扰就会小得多,或者说对你的影响会小很多。因为还是那句话,就像 Mr. Graham 说的,短期来看,市场是一台投票机。

If you know what a business is worth and you understand the management, you know it extremely well, it doesn't bother you nearly as much when a stock price goes down, or it has much less impact on you because, again, as Mr. Graham said, in the short term, the market's a voting machine.

如果有一大群 lemmings 朝着一个方向投票,那确实让人担心。

You have a bunch of lemmings voting one direction, that's concerning.

但如果这是一家很棒的企业,没什么债务,而且明年大家就是会比今年听更多音乐,那你就知道自己最终会做得很好。

But if it's a great business, doesn't have a lot of debt, and people are going to just listen to more music next year than this year, you know you're going to do well.

所以这有点——是个人安全感,以及你真正知道自己持有什么,这两者的结合。

So it's a bit— some combination of being personally secure and also just knowing what you own.

然后随着时间推移,我会说,你会慢慢磨出老茧。

And over time, you build calluses, I would say.
M1
M147:07

所以从心理上说,作为一个普通人,刚才我们聊到狮子、瞪羚之类这些东西,是不是——事情真的就这么简单,只要财务上有安全感就行吗?

So psychologically, just as a human being, speaking of lions and gazelles and all this kind of stuff, is there some— is it as simple as just being financially secure?

还是说,有些纯粹的人类特质,是你必须天生具备或者后天培养出来的?

Is there some just human qualities that you have to be born with/develop?
M2
M247:24

我觉得是有的。

I think so.

我觉得——我算是一个情绪挺强烈的人,或者说我感受情绪是挺强烈的,但在投资这件事上不是这样。

I think— now, I'm a pretty emotional person, I would say, or I feel pretty strong emotions, but not in investing.

我对波动有一种惊人的免疫力,这是一种很大的优势。

I'm remarkably immune to volatility, and that's a big advantage.

不过这也是我花了一些时间才培养出来的。

It took some time for me to develop that.
M1
M147:42

所以你觉得你不是天生就有这个,是吗?

So you weren't born with that, you think?
M2
M247:43

不是。

No.
M1
M147:43

所以既然人是情绪化的,你本来会想对波动作出反应。

So being emotional, you want to respond to volatility.

对。

Yeah.
M2
M247:48

而你就是——这有点像——还是那句话,你可以从别人的经验里学到很多。

And you just— it's a bit— again, you can learn a lot from other people's experience.

这是少数几个你可以通过阅读历史上其他时期的情况、追踪 Buffett 的职业生涯、看他犯过哪些错误,就学到海量东西的行业之一。

It's one of the few businesses where you can learn an enormous amount by reading about other periods in history, following Buffett's career, the mistakes he made.

如果你投入了很多资本,那你犯的每一个错误都会很大。

If you're investing a lot of capital, every one of your mistakes is going to be big.

所以我们也犯过大的错误。

So we've made big mistakes.

好消息是,我们做过的绝大多数事情结果都非常好。

The good news is that the vast majority of things we've done have worked out really well.

所以这也会随着时间推移给你带来信心。

And so that also gives you confidence over time.

但因为我们投资得非常少,今天我们持有 8 个标的,或者说 7 家真正重要的公司。

But because we make very few investments, we own 8 things today or 7 companies that matter.

如果我们看错一个,那就会成为大新闻。

If we get one wrong, it's going to be big news.

所以,我们这个行业的另一个特点,是你得能适应很多来自公众的审视。

And so the other nature of our business you have to be comfortable with is a lot of public scrutiny.

还有很多公开的批评,而这需要一些经验。

A lot of public criticism and that requires some experience.

我就这么说吧。

I'll call it that.
M1
M148:43

我觉得我们会聊到其中一些。

I think we'll talk about some of that.

我相信,你也会建议哪怕是普通投资者,也要先做到财务上有安全感。

Financially secure is something you, I believe, also recommend for even just everyday investors.

那你刚才讲的这些东西里,有没有一些适用于普通投资者的通用建议?

Is there some general advice from the things you've been talking about that applies to everyday investors?
M2
M248:58

当然。

Sure.

首先,永远不要拿你输不起的钱去投资。

So never invest money you can't afford to lose.

就是那种如果亏掉了,你会把房子都赔进去,诸如此类的钱。

Where if you lost this money, you lose your house, et cetera.

所以,你要处在这样一个状态:你拿去投资的钱,短期价格波动你并不在意。

So being in a place where you're investing money that you don't care about the price in the short term.

这笔钱是为了你的退休准备的,而且你是用非常长期的视角来看。

It's money for your retirement and you take a really long-term view.

我觉得这点非常关键。

I think that's key.

还有,永远不要用你的证券资产去借钱投资。

Never investing where you borrow money against your securities.

市场会给你机会,让你给投资加杠杆。

The markets offer you the opportunity to leverage your investment.

大多数情况下你可能都没事,除非发生金融危机,或者天哪,世界某个地方引爆了核装置,或者爆发了意料之外的战争,或者某位领导人突然被刺杀。

In most worlds, you'll be okay, except if there's a financial crisis or a nuclear device gets detonated, God forbid, somewhere in the world, or there's an unexpected war, or someone kills a leader unexpectedly.

这种事是会发生的,它们会改变历史的走向,而市场对这类事件的反应通常会非常负面。

Things happen that can change the course of history and markets react very negatively to those kinds of events.

你可能持有的是世界上最好的公司,股价现在是一股一百美元,下一刻就可能变成五十。

You can own the greatest business in the world trading for $100 a share and next moment it could be 50.

所以,只要你不拿证券去加杠杆,持有的是真正高质量的企业,而且这不是你短期内要用的钱,那你其实就能更从容、更理性地思考。

So as long as you don't borrow against securities, you own really high-quality businesses, and it's not money that you need in the short term, then you can actually be thoughtful about it.

而这就是一个巨大的优势。

And that is a huge advantage.

看起来,绝大多数投资者往往都是那种在下跌时恐慌、在市场表现好时又过度兴奋的人。

The vast majority of investors, it seems, tend to be the ones that panic in the downturns, get overelated when markets are doing well.
M1
M150:22

所以,要能够做长期思考。

So be able to think long-term.

而且你的财务状况要足够稳,让你有条件去做长期思考。

And be sufficiently financially secure such that you can afford to think long-term.
M2
M250:30

Buffett 就是终极的长期思考者。

Buffett is the ultimate long-term thinker.

就看他做决策的方式,以及他这些年来做决策时始终如一地契合那种长期框架,这对学习这个行业来说,非常有启发,我就这么说吧。

Just the decisions he makes, the consistency of the decisions he's made over time in fitting into that sort of long-term framework is very educational, let's put it that way, for learning about this business.
M1
M150:50

你刚才提到了八家公司,但你怎么看那种面向普通投资者、分散投资到更多公司的 mutual funds?

You mentioned eight companies, but what do you think about mutual funds that are for everyday investors that diversify across a larger number of companies?
M2
M251:01

我觉得真正好的 mutual funds 非常少。

I think there are very few mutual funds.

市场上有成千上万只 mutual funds。

There are thousands and thousands of mutual funds.

但真正对得起它们所收费用的,其实很少。

There are very few that earn their keep in terms of the fees they charge.

它们往往分散得过头,而且太看重短期,很多时候你其实还不如直接买 index fund。

They tend to be too diversified and too short-term and you're often much better off just buying an index fund.

它们当中很多的表现——如果你仔细看它们的投资组合——其实跟底层指数本身并没有那么大区别,但你往往却要付高得多的费用。

Many of them perform—if you look carefully at their portfolios, they're not so different from the underlying index itself and you tend to pay a much higher fee.

不过话说回来,还是有一些非常厉害的 mutual fund 经理。

Now, all of that being said, there's some very talented mutual fund managers.

像 Fidelity 有个叫 Will Danoff 的人,长期业绩一直都非常好。

A guy named Will Danoff at Fidelity has had a great record over a long period of time.

还有很有名的 Peter Lynch,Ron Baron,也是另一位很优秀的长期成长股投资人。

The famous Peter Lynch, Ron Baron, another great long-term growth stock investor.

所以确实有一些很棒的 mutual fund,但我会把它们归到少数那一类,而不是成千上万里的大多数。

So there's some great mutual funds, but I put them in the handful versus the thousands.

如果你面对的是那成千上万只里的大多数,我基本上宁愿大家直接去买 index fund。

And if you're in the thousands, I'd rather someone bought just an index fund basically.
M1
M152:02

对,index fund。

Yeah, index funds.

但对普通投资者来说,要跨出哪一步,才会从这个走到只投资少数几家公司呢?

But what would be the leap for an everyday investor to go to investing in a small number of companies?

两家、三家、四家、五家公司。

Two, three, four, five companies.
M2
M252:13

其实我甚至会建议个人投资者投大概十几家公司。

I even recommend for individual investors to invest in a dozen companies.

从十几家增加到二十五家,甚至五十家,diversification 带来的额外好处其实没那么大。

You don't get that much more benefit of diversification going from a dozen to 25 or even 50.

diversification 的大部分好处,基本上在前十家或者十二家里就已经拿到了。

Most of the benefits of diversification come in the first, call it 10 or 12.

前提是你投的是那种负债不高、而且你自己能看懂的企业。

If you're investing in businesses that don't have a lot of debt, they're businesses that you can understand yourself.

实际上,在分析 Tesla 这件事上,个人投资者做得比所谓的专业投资人或者分析师要好得多,绝大多数专业人士都不如他们。

Actually, individual investors did a much better job analyzing Tesla than the so-called professional investors or analysts, the vast majority of them.

所以如果这是你能理解的业务,比如你买了一辆 Tesla,你理解它的产品,也理解它为什么对消费者有吸引力,那这就是你开始分析一家公司的一个好起点。

So if it's a business you understand, if you bought a Tesla, you understand the product and its appeal to consumers, it's a good place to start when you're analyzing a company.

所以我会投那些你自己能看懂的东西。

So I would invest in things you can understand.

这算是一个关键点。

That's kind of a key.

你喜欢 Chipotle 吧?

You like Chipotle?
M1
M153:00

嗯。

Mm-hmm.
M2
M253:01

你知道它们为什么成功。

You understand why they're successful.

你每周都可以去一次,还能观察:有没有什么东西在变化?

You can go there every week and you can monitor: Is anything changing?

这些新的——比如说,chicken al pastor 怎么样?

How are these new kind of—how's chicken al pastor?

它相比基础款鸡肉,算不算一次不错的升级?

Is that a good upgrade from the basic chicken?

饮品的选择有没有变得更好?

Are the drink offerings improving?

门店干不干净?

Are the stores clean?

我觉得你就应该投资那些你真的了解的公司。

I think you should invest in companies you really understand.

最好是那种简单的生意,你能很有把握地判断它随着时间推移大概会变成什么样。

Simple businesses where you can predict with a high degree of confidence what it's going to look like over time.

如果你这样做,而且不要把持仓集中得特别厉害,也不要拿你的证券去借钱加杠杆,那你的表现很可能会比一般的 mutual fund 好得多。

If you do that in a not particularly concentrated fashion and you don't borrow money against your securities, you'll probably do much better than your typical mutual fund.
M1
M153:34

对,这很有意思。

Yeah, it's interesting.

真正喜欢某样东西的消费者,实际上往往也是那样东西的不错分析者,或者至少是个很好的起点。

Consumers that love a thing are actually good analysts of that thing, or I guess a good starting point.
M2
M253:41

顺便说一句,现在能获得的信息比以前多太多了。

By the way, there's much more information available today.

我刚开始做投资那会儿,说真的,我们还得让人从 Washington, D.C. 把 SEC 的申报文件传真给我们。现在什么东西网上都有了。

When I was first investing, literally we had people faxing us documents from the SEC filings in Washington, D.C. Now everything's available online.

Conference call 的文字记录现在也是免费的。

Conference call transcripts are free.

你还有 AI。

You have AI.

你有几乎无限的数据,还有各种 message board、Reddit 论坛之类的地方,大家会在上面分享建议。

You have unlimited data and all kinds of message boards and Reddit forums and things where people are sharing advice.

每个人其实都有自己的优势,凭着自己的职业或者经验,都会对某个行业或者某门生意有了解。

Everyone has their own, by virtue of their career or experience, they'll know about an industry or a business.

我会建议你充分利用你自己的竞争优势。

I would take advantage of your own competitive advantages.
M1
M154:20

我就是担心,如果我投资 Chipotle,我可能会从财务角度去分析菜单上每一个细小变化,然后变得特别挑剔。要是这会影响你的体验,我就不会买这只股票。

I'm just afraid if I invest in Chipotle, I'll be analyzing every little change of menu from a financial perspective and just be very critical. If it's going to affect your experience, I wouldn't buy the stock.

对,我还得说一句,我这个人确实会在情绪上受到波动性的影响,这也是为什么我从来没买过 index fund。

Yeah, I mean, I should also say that I am somebody that emotionally does respond to volatility, which is why I've never bought index funds.

我也注意到,市场的涨涨跌跌在心理上确实会影响我。

And I just noticed myself psychologically being affected by the ups and downs of the market.

所以我想尽量不去看,因为只要我稍微关注一点,它就会对我的生活产生负面影响。

I want to tune out because if I'm at all tuned in, it has a negative impact on my life.
M2
M254:51

对,这一点真的很重要。

Yeah, that's really important.
M1
M154:53

你能解释一下什么叫 activist investing 吗?

Can you explain what activist investing is?

你刚才一直在讲投资,也讲到当公司陷入困境的时候去研究它,然后介入,重新调整公司内部的一些东西,帮助它变得更好。

You've been talking about investing and then looking at companies when they're struggling, stepping in and reconfiguring things within that company and helping it become great.

所以这算是其中一部分,不过我们先把视角拉远一点。

So that's part of it, but let's just zoom out.

这个 activist investing 的概念到底是什么?

What's this idea of activist investing?
M2
M255:13

我觉得就在最近这几天,我看到一篇文章说,现在全球投进股市的资金里,超过百分之五十都是被动的、指数化的钱。

I think recently in the last couple of days, I read an article saying that more than 50% of the capital in the world today that's invested in the stock market is passive, indexed money.

那是最被动的一种形式。

That's the most passive form.

所以你想想 index fund,它就是机器按照固定比例去买一组固定的证券。

So if you think about an index fund, a machine buys a fixed set of securities in certain proportion.

这里面完全没有人的判断,从某种意义上说,背后也没有一个真正负责的人。

There's no human judgment at all and there's no real person behind it in a way.

他们从来不会采取行动去改善一家企业。

They never take steps to improve a business.

他们就是安安静静地持有这些证券。

They just quietly own securities.

而我们做的是,把我们的资本投到少数几样东西上。

What we do is we invest our capital in a handful of things.

我们会把它们研究得非常非常透,因为如果你要把百分之二十的资产放进一个东西里,

We get to know them really, really well because you're going to put 20% of your assets in something.

你就必须对它了解得非常透彻。

You need to know it really well.

但一旦你成了大股东,而且你对怎么让一家企业更有价值有一些想法,那你就不只是一个被动投资者了。

But once you become a big holder and if you've got some thoughts on how to make a business more valuable, you can do more than just be a passive investor.

所以我们的策略,是建立在寻找伟大公司之上的。有些公司走偏了,我们就帮助它们重新成功起来。

So our strategy is built upon finding great companies in some cases that have lost their way and then helping them succeed.

而且我们可以通过董事会会议室之外的想法来做到这一点。

And we can do that with ideas from outside the boardroom.

有时候我们会进入董事会,占一个席位,甚至不止一个,然后我们会和世界上最优秀的管理团队一起合作,帮助这些企业取得成功。

Sometimes we take a seat on a board or more than one, and we work with the best management teams in the world to help these businesses succeed.

所以我刚进入这个行业的时候,没有人知道我们是谁,而且我们手上的钱也没那么多。

So when I first went into this business, no one knew who we were and we didn't have that much money.

所以为了影响一家对我们来说已经算很大的公司,我们就必须闹出更大的动静。

And so to influence what was to us a big company, we had to make a fair bit more noise.

所以我们会先买入一部分股份,然后公开宣布,再想办法跟管理层接触。

So we would buy a stake, we'd announce it publicly, we'd attempt to engage with management.

我们在 Pershing Square 做的第一笔 activist investment 是 Wendy's。

The first activist investment we made at Pershing Square was Wendy's.

我怎么都没法让那个 CEO 给我回电话。

I couldn't get the CEO to ever return my call.

他就是不给我回电话。

He didn't return my call.

所以那次我们的想法其实是,Wendy's 持有一家叫 Tim Hortons 的公司,就是那个卖咖啡和甜甜圈的连锁。

So we actually, in that case, our idea was Wendy's owned a company called Tim Hortons, which was this coffee donut chain.

你基本上可以用五十亿美元买下 Wendy's,而他们拥有 Tim Hortons 百分之百的股权,光 Tim Hortons 本身就值超过五十亿美元。

And you could buy Wendy's for basically $5 billion and they owned 100% of Tim Hortons, which itself was worth more than $5 billion.

所以你实际上完全可以把 Wendy's 买下来,把 Tim Hortons 分拆出去,等于用负价值拿到 Wendy's。

So you could literally buy Wendy's, separate Tim Hortons, and get Wendy's for negative value.

这看起来是个非常好的机会,虽然它当时业务做得并不怎么样。

That seemed like a pretty good opportunity, even though the business wasn't doing that well.

所以我们买了股份,给 CEO 打电话,还是约不到见面,什么都没有。

So we bought the stake, called the CEO, couldn't get a meeting, nothing.

所以我们后来真的去找了 Blackstone,那时候他们还有 investment bank,我们请他们做了一份所谓的 fairness opinion,来评估如果 Wendy's 按我们的建议做,公司会值多少钱。

So we actually hired Blackstone, which at that time had an investment bank, and we hired them to do what's called a fairness opinion of what Wendy's would be worth if they followed our advice.

他们也同意做。

And they agreed to do it.

我们还为此付了他们一笔费用。

Paid them a fee for it.

然后我们寄了一封信过去,附上那份 fairness opinion,说如果他们按我们说的做,这家公司基本上会多值百分之八十。

And then we mailed in a letter with a copy of the fairness opinion saying the company would basically be worth 80% more if they did what we said.

六周之后,他们就照我们说的做了。

And 6 weeks later, they did what we said.

所以这就是 activism,至少算是 activism 的早期形式。

So that's activism, at least an early form of activism.

有了这个成绩之后,我们就多了一点可信度。

With that kind of under our belt, we had a little more credibility.

然后我们就开始在一些公司里建仓。

And now we started to take stakes in companies.

媒体也会开始关注。

The media would pay attention.

所以媒体某种程度上成了一个很重要的伙伴。

So the media became kind of an important partner.

而管理团队会在羞耻、尴尬和机会这些因素的某种共同作用下,被推动去做正确的事。

And some combination of shame, embarrassment, and opportunity motivated management teams to do the right thing.

再往后,如果管理层很顽固,但股东站在你这边,那你还可以采取一些特定步骤。

Then beyond that, there's certain steps you can take if management's recalcitrant and the shareholders are on your side.

不过这有点像竞选公职。

But it's a bit like running for office.

你得让所有相关方都支持你,支持你的想法。

You've got to get all the constituents to support you and your ideas.

如果他们支持你,也支持你的想法,那你就可以这么说吧,把一家公司的董事会给换掉。

If they support you and your ideas, you can overthrow, if you will, the board of a company.

你引入新的人才,然后接管一家企业的管理。

You bring in new talent and then take over the management of a business.

这就是 activism 最激进的一种形式。

That's the most extreme form of activism.

这差不多就是我们早期的阶段,还有我们当时做的事。

That's kind of the early days and what we did.

我们早期做的很多事情,都有点像我们所谓的 investment banking activism,也就是我们进去之后,提出一些本来优秀 investment bank 也会建议的方案。

A lot of the early things that we did were what we called sort of like investment banking activism, where we'd go in and recommend something a good investment bank would've recommended.

如果他们照做了,我们就赚很多钱,然后再去做下一个。

If they do it, we make a bunch of money and then we moved on to the next one.

后来我们意识到,对一家叫 General Growth 的公司的投资,是我们第一次在一家公司里拿到董事会席位。

Then we realized an investment in a company called General Growth was the first time we took a board seat on a company.

当时有一些财务重组的机会,也有机会把这家公司的运营做得更好,还能进入公司的董事会,那是我们做过的最好的一笔投资之一。

There was some financial restructuring and also an opportunity to improve the operations of the business, sit on the board of a company, and that was one of the best investments we ever made.

我们当时说,好吧,我们能做的不只是当一个董事会外面的投资人,我们还可以参与进来,帮忙挑选合适的管理团队,也帮助引导合适的管理团队。

We said, okay, we can do more than just be an outside-the-boardroom investor and we can get involved in helping select the right management teams and helping guide the right management teams.

后来这些年我们也一直都是这么做的。

Then we've done that over years.

然后我会说,过去七年里,我们其实已经不需要再当 activist 了。

Then I would say the last 7 years, we haven't had to be an activist.

所谓 activist,一般就是那种在门外敲门、想办法进去的人。

An activist is generally someone who's outside banging on the door trying to get in.

我们算是慢慢建立了足够的信誉,所以现在他们会主动把门打开,然后说,嘿 Bill,你有什么想法?

We've sort of built enough credibility that they open the door and they say, hey Bill, what ideas do you have?

就是说,欢迎,你愿意加入董事会吗?

So welcome, would you like to join the board?

我们现在受到的对待,和刚开始的时候已经不一样了。

We're treated differently today than we were in the beginning.

这个状态,我会说,有些人可能就把它叫做一个积极参与的 owner。

And that is, I would say some people might just call it being an engaged owner.

顺便说一句,这其实就是一百五十年前 Andrew Carnegie、J.P. Morgan 那个时代做投资的方式。

By the way, that's the way investing was done in the Andrew Carnegie, J.P. Morgan days, 150 years ago.

那时候有这些传奇级的商业领袖,会持有 U.S. Steel 百分之二十的股份。

You had these iconic business leaders that would own 20% of U.S. Steel.

一旦事情出了问题,他们就会更换董事会和管理层,然后把公司整顿好。

And when things would go wrong, they'd replace the board and the management and fix them.

后来慢慢地,我们进入了另一个世界:二十世纪二十年代、三十年代出现了 mutual funds,后来又有 Vanguard 等机构推动的 index funds;而那些控股股东也会逐渐把自己的股票分给社会,或者传给子女,一代一代分散下去,于是他们不再是企业真正的控股 owner 了,或者说,这样的人已经很少了。

And over time, we went to a world where mutual funds were created in the 1920s, '30s, index funds with Vanguard and others, and that all these controlling shareholders would kind of give their stock to society or their children in multiple generations, and they were no longer kind of controlling owners of businesses or very few were.

这就导致了业绩不佳,也给 activist 在之后提供了机会。

That led to underperformance and the opportunity for activists over time.

activism 做到的一件事,而且我觉得我们也帮助引领了这个运动,就是它重新恢复了企业 owner 和公司管理层之间某种权力平衡。

What activism has done, and I think we've helped lead this movement, is it restored kind of the balance of power between the owners of the business and the managements of the company.

实际上,这对美国股市的表现是一件非常好的事。

That's been a very good thing for the performance of the U.S. stock market, actually.
M1
M160:41

所以你说的 owner,意思是 shareholders 吗?

So the owners meaning the shareholders?
M2
M260:43

对。

Yes.
M1
M160:43

所以通过 activist investing,shareholders 和实际运营公司的人之间,就有了一个更直接的沟通渠道?

And so there's a more direct channel of communication with activist investing between the shareholders and the people running the company?
M2
M260:52

对。

Yes.

因为 activist 通常持有一家企业的股份不会超过百分之五到百分之十,所以他们本身并没有控制权。

So activists generally never own more than 5 or 10% of a business, so they don't have control.

所以他们获得影响力的方式,就是必须说服其他人——也就是要争取到其他 shareholders 里相当于多数人的支持。

So the way they get influence is they have to convince the other— they have to get to sort of a majority of the other shareholders to support them.

如果他们能获得那样的支持,他们的行为方式就几乎可以像一个控股股东。

And if they can get that kind of support, they can behave almost like a controlling shareholder.

基本就是这么运作的。

And that's how it works.
M1
M161:14

所以照 Bill Ackman 的说法,现在公司的治理是更民主了。

So the running of companies, according to Bill Ackman, is more democratic now.
M2
M261:19

是的。

It is.
M1
M161:20

是的。

It is.
M2
M261:21

但你还是需要一些 thought leaders。

But you need some thought leaders.

所以 activist 某种程度上就像 thought leaders,因为他们愿意花时间,也愿意花钱。

So activists are kind of thought leaders because they can spend the time and the money.

一个持有一千股的散户投资者,没有这样的资源,也没有这样的时间。

A retail investor that owns 1,000 shares doesn't have the resources or the time.

他们都有本职工作。

They've got a day job.

而 activist 的本职工作,就是去找出那少数几个存在机会的地方。

Whereas an activist's day job is finding the handful of things where there are opportunities.
M1
M161:38

所以平均来说,有这样一个高度参与、强大而且有影响力的投资人,来帮助把控一家公司的方向,是好事吗?

So on average, is it good to have such an engaged, powerful, influential investor helping control the direction of a company?
M2
M261:51

这要看这个投资人是谁,不过总体来说,我觉得是好事。

It depends who that investor is, but generally I think it's a good thing.

这也是为什么,如今当一家公司的 CEO、而且股东基础又非常分散的时候,一个问题就在于怎么平衡短期和长期。

And that's why one of the problems with being CEO of a company today and having a very diversified shareholder base is the kind of short-term, long-term balance.

因为投资人各有各的利益诉求,他们想实现什么目标、希望什么时候实现,也都不一样。

And you have investors who have all different interests in terms of what they want to achieve and when they want it achieved.

而且一家老公司的新 CEO——这么说吧,老公司的新 CEO——往往还没有机会建立起足够的公信力,去做那种更偏长期的决策,于是就可能被困在一种按季度被评判的循环里。

And CEO of a new company hasn't had— a new CEO of an old company, let's say, hasn't had the chance to develop the credibility to make the kind of longer-term decisions and can be stuck in a cycle of being judged on a quarterly basis.

而企业,最好的企业,都是永久型资产。

And a business, the best businesses are forever assets.

你现在做的决定,会在三年、四年,或者五年后产生影响。

Decisions you make now have impact 3, 4, or 5 years from now.

有时候你做出的一些决定,短期内会让公司的盈利下降,因为从长期看,它会让这门生意更有价值。

Sometimes there are decisions you make that have the effect of reducing the earnings of a company in the short term, because in the long term, it's going to make the business much more valuable.

但有时候,当你是一家公司的新 CEO 时,是很难拥有这种公信力的。

But sometimes it's hard to have that kind of credibility when you're a new CEO of a company.

所以当你有一个大股东,受到其他股东尊重,又坐在董事会里,说,嘿,CEO 花大价钱投资一家新工厂,这么做是对的。

So when you have a major owner that's respected by other shareholders sitting on the board saying, hey, the CEO is doing the right thing in making this expensive investment in a new factory.

我们在 R&D 上花更多钱。

We're spending more money on R&D.

因为我们在开发一些会随着时间推移带来回报的东西。

Because we're developing something that's going to pay off over time.

那么,这个在董事会里的大股东,就能帮管理层争取到必要的时间,让他们能够以更长期的方式行事。

That large owner on the board can help buy the time necessary for management to behave in a longer-term way.

我觉得这对所有股东都有好处。

That's, I think, good for all the shareholders.
M1
M163:15

这说的是好的一面,但它会不会变坏?

That's the good story, but can it get bad?

会不会出现这样一种情况:一个 CEO 很有远见,看得到公司的长期未来,然后一个投资人进来,只出于非常自私的目的,想在短期内多赚点钱?

Can you have a CEO who is a visionary and sees the long-term future of a company and then an investor come in and have very selfish interest in just making more money in the short term?

然后因此去破坏、操纵股东和董事会其他成员的看法,最终把公司拖垮——也许股价是涨了,但长期价值的可能性却被毁掉了。

And therefore destroy and manipulate the opinions of the shareholders and other people on the board in order to sink the company, maybe increase the price, but destroy the possibility of long-term value.
M2
M263:48

理论上是有可能发生的。

It could theoretically happen.

但还是那句话,在你这个例子里,那个 activist 一般并不持有很多股票。

But again, the activist in your example generally doesn't own a lot of stock.

如今的股东结构里,最大的股东其实是这些会一直持有的 index funds。

The shareholder base is today, the biggest shareholders are these index funds that are forever.

像 BlackRock、Vanguard、State Street,他们的持股比例到现在还在增长,因为股东的资金不断流入他们那里。

BlackRock, Vanguard, State Street, their ownership stakes are just at this point only growing because of the inflows of capital they have from shareholders.

他们必须,或者说他们应该,从非常长期的角度来思考;如果有人带着一个短期点子进来,想让股价在未来六个月涨上去,但却损害公司长期竞争能力,他们会非常怀疑。

They have to think, or they should think very long-term, and they're going to be very skeptical of someone coming in with a short-term idea that drives the stock price up in the next 6 months, but impairs the company's long-term ability to compete.

基本上,这类持股群体会阻止这种事情真正发生。

Basically, that ownership group prevents this kind of activity from really happening.
M1
M164:29

人们通常都对短期 activist 投资人持怀疑态度。

People are generally skeptical of short-term activist investors.
M2
M264:33

对。

Yes.

而且这样的人非常少。

And they're very few.

我其实几乎不认识什么短期 activist 投资人。

I don't really know any short-term activist investors.
M1
M164:38

这可是一整份长长的名单了。

That's a whole full list.
M2
M264:39

不是那种有公信力的。

Not ones with credibility.
M1
M164:41

你提到了 General Growth。

You mentioned General Growth.

我在哪儿读到过,有人说这可能算是史上最成功的 hedge fund 交易之一。

I read somewhere it was called arguably one of the best hedge fund trades of all time.

所以我猜,它是从六千万美元涨到了三十多亿美元。

So I guess it went from $60 million to over $3 billion.
M2
M264:55

那确实是个不错的案例。

It was a good one.
M1
M164:56

好。

All right.
M2
M264:57

但那不是一笔交易。

But it wasn't a trade.

我不会把它描述成一笔交易。

I wouldn't describe it as a trade.

所谓交易,就是你买了然后转手卖掉。

A trade is something you buy and you flip.

而这个呢,是我们在二零零八年十一月最初投进去的一笔投资,到现在十五年过去了,我们仍然持有一家从 General Growth 分拆出来的公司。

This is something where we made the investment initially in November of 2008, and we still own a company we spun off of General Growth, and it's now 15 years later.
M1
M165:13

你能讲讲,当时是怎么做出那个决定,真正把这家公司的价值提升起来的吗?

Can you describe what went into making that decision to actually increase the value of the company?
M2
M265:18

当然。

Sure.

那是在金融危机期间,大概是二零零八年十一月。

This was at the time of the financial crisis, circa November 2008.

房地产一直都是我很感兴趣的一个领域。

Real estate's always been a kind of sector that I've been interested in.

我职业生涯一开始其实就是在我父亲那里做房地产相关的业务,帮房地产开发商安排按揭贷款。

I began my career in the real estate business working for my dad, actually, arranging mortgages for real estate developers.

所以我跟这个行业渊源很深,也一直很有兴趣。

So I have kind of deep ties and interest in the business.

而 General Growth 当时是全美第二大的 shopping mall 公司。

And General Growth was the second-largest shopping mall company in the country.

很多人应该都听说过 Simon Properties。

Simon Properties, many people have heard of.

General Growth 排第二。

General Growth was number 2.

他们拥有美国一些最好的商场。

They owned some of the best malls in the country.

而且在那个时候,人们觉得 shopping mall 这种东西是不会被颠覆的。

And at that time, people thought of shopping malls as these non-disruptible things.
M1
M165:52

嗯。

Mm-hmm.
M2
M265:53

我们又说到颠覆这个话题了。

Again, we talk about disruption.

商场其实已经在很多方面被颠覆了。

Malls have been disrupted in many ways.

General Growth 的股票——或者说 General Growth 这家公司,尤其是他们的 CFO,在借钱这件事上风格非常激进。

General Growth stock— General Growth, the company, the CFO in particular was very aggressive in the way that he borrowed money.

他是从 Wall Street 借钱,不是那种长期按揭贷款,而基本上都是相对短期的按揭。

He borrowed money from Wall Street, not long-term mortgages, but generally relatively short-term mortgages.

他的风格相当激进。

He was pretty aggressive.

随着资产价值上涨,他就不断地拿这些资产去加杠杆借更多的钱,这也确实改善了公司短期的经营表现。

As the value went up, he would borrow more and more against the assets and that helped the short-term results of the business.

问题在于,金融危机期间,所谓的 CMBS,也就是 commercial mortgage-backed securities,这个市场基本上直接关掉了。

The problem was during the financial crisis, the market for what's called CMBS, commercial mortgage-backed securities, basically shut.

因为公司的债务期限相对比较短,所以有很多大额债务很快就要到期,但他们根本没有能力再融资。

The company, because its debt was relatively short-term, had a lot of big maturities coming up that they had no ability to refinance.

市场当时的反应是,天哪,贷款方要来取消抵押品赎回权了,股东也要被清零。

The market said, oh my God, the lenders are going to foreclose and the shareholders are going to get wiped.

这家公司要破产了。

The company's going to go bankrupt.

他们会被清零。

They're going to get wiped out.

这只股票从每股六十三美元跌到了三十四美分。

The stock went from $63 a share to 34 cents.

有一个家族,Buckbaum family,我记得大概持有公司百分之二十五的股份。到我们买入这家公司股权的时候,他们原本价值五十亿美元的股票,已经只值两千五百万美元左右了。

There was a family, the Buckbaum family owned I think about 25% of the company and they had $5 billion of stock that was worth $25 million or something by the time we bought a stake in the business.

真正让我感兴趣的是,我觉得这些资产的价值明显高于负债。

What interested me was I thought the assets were worth substantially more than the liabilities.

这家公司有两百七十亿美元的债务,而它的股权价值只剩下一亿美元了,之前大概有两百亿美元。

The company had $27 billion of debt and had a $100 million value of the equity, down from like $20 billion.

对吧?

Okay?

首先,股价已经跌了百分之九十九,从这个位置开始研究,其实挺有意思的。

And one, that's sort of an interesting place to start with the stock down 99%.

不过,shopping mall 这个业务最根本的驱动因素,是入住率,也就是这些 mall 到底租出去了多少。

But the fundamental drivers of the mall business are occupancy, how occupied are the malls.

有意思的是,从零七年到零八年,入住率同比还是上升的。

Occupancy was up year on year between '07 and '08, interestingly.

还有净营业收入,也就是某种意义上衡量这些 mall 现金流的指标,这个也是同比上升的。

Net operating income, which is kind of a measure of cash flow from the malls, that was up year on year.

所以从底层基本面来看,其实运转得还不错。

So kind of the underlying fundamentals were doing fine.

他们唯一的问题是,身上有几十亿美元的债务到期要还,但他们还不上。

The only problem they had is they had billions of dollars of debt that they had to repay, they couldn't repay.

如果你去仔细看 bankruptcy code,它本来就是专门为这种情况设计的。你可以把它看成一个缓冲地带,让企业进去重组自己的业务。

And if you kind of examine the bankruptcy code, it's precisely designed for a situation like this where it's kind of this resting place you can go to kind of restructure your business.

问题在于,之前所有破产的公司,股东最后都被清零了。

Now, the problem was that every other company that had gone bankrupt, the shareholders got wiped out.

所以市场看到过去每一个案例,都会觉得股东肯定要被清零。

So the market's seeing every previous example, the shareholders get wiped out.

于是大家就默认,这只股票最后会跌到零。

The assumption is the stock's going to go to zero.

但 bankruptcy code 其实不是这么写的。

But that's not what the bankruptcy code says.

bankruptcy code 真正写的是,价值要按照实际价值来分配。

What the bankruptcy code says is that the value gets apportioned based on value.

如果你能向法官证明,公司的资产价值高于负债,那股东实际上是可以保住自己在公司里的投资的。

If you could prove to a judge that there was the assets worth more than the liabilities, then the shareholders actually get to keep their investment in the company.

这就是我们当时下的赌注。

That was the bet we made.

所以我们就进场了,在公开市场上买下了公司百分之二十五的股份。

So we stepped into the market and we bought 25% of the company in the open market.

当然,我们得出更高的价钱才能买到。

We had to pay up.

一开始的价格是三十四美分。

It started out at 34 cents.

我记得当时大概有三亿股。

I think there were 300 million shares.

所以当时整体估值大概是一亿美元。

So it was at $100 million value.

等我们买完的时候,我们平均算下来,是花了六千万美元拿下这家公司百分之二十五的股权。

By the time we were done, we paid an average of—we paid $60 million for 25% of the business.

也就是说,公司全部股权的估值大概是两亿四千万美元。

So about $240 million for the equity of the company.

接下来我们还得进入董事会,说服董事们什么才是正确的做法。

Then we had to get on the board to convince the directors the right thing to do.

董事会当时完全慌了,不知道该怎么办,还花了大把的钱请顾问。

The board was in complete panic, didn't know what to do, spending a ton of money on advisors.

那时候 Pershing Square 才成立四年,我在做股东维权,根本没人知道我们在干什么。

I was a shareholder activist four years into Pershing Square and no one had any idea what we were doing.

他们觉得我们疯了。

They thought we were crazy.

我们每天都进市场,买这只仙股,而且每次持股比例每增加百分之一,我们就提交一份叫 13D 的文件。

Every day we'd go into the market and we'd buy this penny stock and we'd file what's called a 13D every 1% increase in our stake.

大家就是觉得我们疯了。

People just thought we were crazy.

我们居然在买一家快要破产的公司的股票。

We're buying stock in a company that's going to go bankrupt.

Bill,你会把钱全赔光的。

Bill, you're going to lose all your money.

快跑吧。

Run.
M1
M169:21

好。

Okay.
M2
M269:22

我说,先等等,破产法写得很清楚,只要资产价值高于负债,我们应该就没事。

I said, well, wait, bankruptcy code says that if there's more asset value than liabilities, we should be fine.

要说最关键、也挺有意思的一个时刻,就是有个叫 Maddie Bucksbaum 的女士,她来自 Bucksbaum 家族,她表哥 John 是董事会主席,也是公司的 CEO。

The key moment, if you're looking for fun moments, is there's a woman named Maddie Bucksbaum who was from the Bucksbaum family, and her cousin John was chairman of the board, CEO of the company.

我们披露了在这家公司的持股之后,她给我打电话,我就说,她当时是这么说的,Bill Ackman,我真的很高兴看到你来了。

I said, as she calls me after we disclose our stake in the company, she's like, Bill Ackman, I'm really glad to see you here.

我之前见过她,我觉得那不算约会吧,但大概是在我二十五岁左右的时候,在一个社交场合认识的她。

And I met her, I don't think it was a date, but I kind of met her in a social context when I was like 25 or something.

她说,你看,我真的很高兴看到你在这儿。

And she said, look, I'm really glad to see you here.

如果有什么我能帮你的,你就给我打电话。

And if there's anything I can do to help you, call me.

我说,行。

I said, sure.

后来我们一直想进这家公司的董事会。

We kept trying to get on the board of the company.

他们就是不让我们进去。

They wouldn't invite us on.

也没法真正去打 proxy contest,尤其是一家快破产的公司,更不现实。

Couldn't really run a proxy contest, not with a company going bankrupt.

而且他们请的顾问其实就是 Goldman Sachs。

And their advisors actually were Goldman Sachs.

他们的意思是,你不会想让狐狸进鸡舍吧。

And they're like, you don't want the fox in the henhouse.

而他们就一直在听顾问的话。

And they were listening to their advisors.

所以我就给 Matty 打电话,我说,Matty,我得进这家公司的董事会,才能帮上忙。

So I called Matty up and I said, Matty, I need to get on the board of the company to help.

她说,你知道吗?

And she says, you know what?

我会给我表哥打电话,这事我来搞定。

I will call my cousin and I'll get it done.

几个小时后她回电话过来,说,你会进董事会。

She calls back a few hours later, you'll be going onto the board.

我也不知道她到底跟她表哥说了什么。

I don't know what she said to her cousin.
M1
M170:32

但她很有说服力。

But she was convincing.
M2
M270:33

接下来你知道的就是,我被邀请进入这家公司的董事会,而董事会当时谈的是 General Growth 的 old equity。

Next thing you know, I'm invited on the board of the company and the board is talking about the old equity of General Growth.

所谓 old equity,说白了就是在谈,股东的权益要被清零了。

Old equity is what you talk about, the shareholders are getting wiped out.

我说,不不不。

I said, no, no, no.

这个董事会代表的是公司现有的股权。

This board represents the current equity of the company.

而我是大股东。

And I'm a major shareholder.

John 也是大股东。

John's a major shareholder.

这里有很充足的资产价值。

There's plenty of asset value here.

这家公司应该可以通过重组来让股东受益。

This company should be able to be restructured for the benefit of shareholders.

而且我们主导了一次为股东利益服务的重组。

And we led a restructuring for the benefit of shareholders.

这个过程大概花了八个月,公司最后走出了 Chapter 11。

And it took, let's say, eight months and the company emerged from Chapter 11.

我们又追加了一笔投资到这家公司里,而股东保住了他们绝大部分的投资。

We made an incremental investment into the company and the shareholders kept the vast majority of their investment.

所有债权人都拿回了他们投资的票面金额,也就是 par,再加上应计利息,结果非常好。

All the creditors got their face amount of their investment, par plus accrued interest, and it was a great outcome.

所有员工都保住了工作。

All the employees kept their jobs.

这些商场也都继续营业。

The malls stayed open.

没有进行清算。

There was no liquidation.

破产制度按它本来该有的方式发挥了作用。

The bankruptcy system worked the way it should.

我那段时间经常在法庭上,第一次跟法官见面的时候,法官大概是这么说的:你看,如果不是金融危机,这种事根本不会发生。

I was in court all the time, and the first meeting with the judge, the judge was like, look, this would never have happened were it not for a financial crisis.

法官一这么说,我就知道我们不会有事了。

Once the judge said that, I knew we were going to be fine.

因为这家公司本质上其实并没有做错什么。

Because the company had really not done anything fundamentally wrong.

也许只是借钱的方式稍微激进了一点。

Maybe a little too aggressive in how they borrowed money.

股价从三十四美分涨到了每股三十一美元。

Stock went from 34 cents to $31 a share.

其实有个挺有意思的小插曲,很多跟着我们一起投进去的人都赚了不少钱。

Actually, fun little anecdote, we made a lot of people a lot of money who followed us into it.

我收到了很多很暖心的感谢信,说真的,做这行偶尔还是会收到这种东西的,信不信由你。

I got a lot of nice thank-you notes, which you get on occasion in this business, believe it or not.

后来有一天,我收到一条语音留言。

Then one day I get a voicemail.

那还是有一种东西叫 voicemail 的年代。

This is when there was something called voicemail.

大概是几年以后吧。

Probably a few years later.

有个牙买加口音特别重的人,给 Bill Ackman 留了条信息。

And it's a guy with a very thick Jamaican accent leaving a message for Bill Ackman.

我一般都会回所有电话,所以我就给他回过去了。

So I return all my calls, call the guy back.

我说,喂,你好,我是 Bill Ackman。

He's like, hi, it's Bill Ackman.

我是在回你的电话。

I'm just returning your call.

他说,哦,Ackman 先生,太感谢您给我回电话了。

He's like, oh, Mr. Ackman, thank you so much for calling me.

我说,哦,我能怎么帮你?

I said, oh, how can I help?

他说,我想谢谢你。

He says, I wanted to thank you.

我说,什么意思?

I said, what do you mean?

他说,几年前我在 CNBC 上看到你,你当时在聊这个 General Growth。

He said, I saw you on CNBC a couple years ago and you were talking about this General Growth.

然后那只股票——我说,那时候股价是多少?

And the stock— I said, where was the stock at the time?

他说,六十美分左右吧,大概就这个数。

He said, it's 60 cents or something like this.

然后我买了很多股票。

And I bought a lot of stock.

我就说,那你投了多少钱?

And I'm like, well, how much did you invest?

哦,我把我所有的钱都投进这家公司了。

Oh, I invested all of my money in the company.

他是个 New York City 的出租车司机,他在每股六十美分的时候投了大概五万美元左右。

And he was a New York City taxi driver and he invested like $50,000 or something like this at 60 cents a share.

而且他一直拿着,后来退休了,这笔投资让他赚到了五十倍。

And he was still holding it and he went into retirement and he made 50 times his money.

这种时候,你会觉得做投资这件事真挺有意义的。

Those are the moments that you feel pretty good about investing.
M1
M173:01

是什么让你在那个过程中一直有信心?

What gave you confidence through that?

这可是一只仙股,而且我敢肯定当时很多人都在反对你,说这太疯狂了。

It's a penny stock and I'm sure you were getting a lot of naysayers and people saying that this is crazy.
M2
M273:09

其实还是一样。

It's the same thing.

你就是把功课做扎实。

You just do the work.

其实我们也从投资人那里收到了很多阻力,因为我们以前从来没投过破产公司。

We got a lot of pushback from our investors actually, because we had never invested in a bankrupt company before.

这属于一个叫 distressed investing 的领域,里面有专门做 distressed investing 的投资人,而我们不算那一类。

It's a field called distressed investing and there are dedicated distressed investors and we weren't considered one of them.

Bill,你这是在干嘛?

Bill, what are you doing?

你根本不懂 distressed investing。

You don't know anything about distressed investing.

你也根本不懂 bankruptcy investing。

You don't know anything about bankruptcy investing.

但我会读。

But I can read.
M1
M173:31

然后你就学会了。

And you learned.
M2
M273:32

对,然后我就学会了。

And I learned.

有时候,不是这个领域的从业者、不是某方面的专家,反而很有帮助,因为专家往往会习惯那些约定俗成的看法。

And sometimes it's very helpful not to be a practitioner, an expert in something, because you get used to the conventional wisdom.

所以我们就是更抽象地去读这些材料——退一步,看事实。

And so we just abstractly read the— step back and look at the facts.

结果这就成了一个特别有意思的局面,也成了我们做过最好的投资之一。

And it was just a really interesting setup for one of the best investments we ever made.
M1
M173:51

那这里面一些法律层面的东西,学起来有多难?

How hard is it to learn some of the legal aspects of this?

比如你提到 bankruptcy code。

Like you mentioned bankruptcy code.

我想象中那种内容应该都是特别晦涩的语言、很复杂的概念,还有各种漏洞之类的东西。

Like I imagine it's very sort of dense language and dense ideas and the loopholes and all that kind of stuff.

如果你是刚进入这个领域、以前从没做过 distressed investing,要把这些搞明白有多难?

Like if you're just stepping in and you've never done distressed investing, how hard is it to figure out?
M2
M274:09

没那么难。

It's not that hard.

对,没那么难。

No, it's not that hard.
M1
M174:12

好。

Okay.
M2
M274:13

我的意思是,我真的就是读了一本讲 distressed investing 的书。

I mean, I literally read a book on distressed investing.
M1
M174:15

好。

Okay.
M2
M274:16

好像是 Ben Branch 写的,或者类似吧,反正就是一本讲 distressed investing 的书。

Ben Branch or something, something on distressed investing.
M1
M174:19

所以你当时就能从里面抓到那种直觉,就是这里面涉及的那些基本技能、需要知道的基本事实,诸如此类的东西。

So you were able to pick up the intuition from that, just all the— the basic skills involved, the basic facts to know, all that kind of stuff.
M2
M274:27

这个世界上大多数知识,其实都已经被写在某个地方了。

Most of the world's knowledge has already been written somewhere.

你只要去读对的书就行。

You just got to read the right books.

而且我还找到了很棒的律师,也建立起了一些很好的关系。

Also had great lawyers, built up some great relationships.

我们当时和 Sullivan & Cromwell 合作,那边有个律师叫 Joe Shenker,我在职业生涯早期就认识他了。

We worked with Sullivan & Cromwell and the lawyer there named Joe Shenker, who I met earlier in my career.

其实 Pershing Square 已经算是我做 hedge fund 的第二幕了。

Pershing Square is actually my second act in the hedge fund business.

我二十六岁的时候创办了一只基金,叫 Gotham Partners。

I started a fund called Gotham Partners when I was 26.

我早期的一笔投资,是一家叫 Rockefeller Center Properties 的公司,当时它正要走向破产。

One of my early investments was a company called Rockefeller Center Properties that was heading for bankruptcy.

对方代表 Goldman Sachs 的律师,是一个叫 Joe Shenker 的人。

The lawyer on the other side representing Goldman Sachs was a guy named Joe Shenker.

所以后来我们又遇到一次房地产破产案的时候,第一个很自然就会想到打给他。

So he was like an obvious phone call because we had yet another real estate bankruptcy.

那一单我们做得很好,但我错过了真正的大机会。

In that one, we did very well, but I missed the big opportunity.

后来我每次走过 Rockefeller Center,心理上都特别煎熬,因为本来我们本可以赚大钱——我们对那个物业的了解比任何人都深,但我当时对 dealmaking 懂得没那么多,而且手上也没有足够的资源。

I suffered severe psychological torture every time I walked by Rockefeller Center because we could have made— we knew more about that property than anyone else, but I knew less about dealmaking and didn't have the resources.

那时候我才二十八岁,或者二十七岁,而他们请的律师比我们请的更厉害。

And I was 28 years old or 27, and they hired a better lawyer than we did.

所以那一仗,某种程度上他们确实把我们给算计过去了。

And they outsmarted us on that one in a way.

所以我就想,好,下次我就去把这个人请来。

So I said, okay, I'm going to go hire this guy the next time around.
M1
M175:31

好。

Okay.

我们等会儿大概会聊到 Rockefeller Center,还有一些失败的经历,不过先说你刚才提到的那个 fox in the henhouse。

We'll probably talk about Rockefeller Center and some failures, but first you said fox in the henhouse.
M2
M275:39

对。

Yes.
M1
M175:39

你说这是董事会和董事长担心的事。

Something that the board and the chairman were worried about.

他们为什么会叫你 fox?

Why would they call you a fox?

因为你一直在说,activist investing 没什么好担心的。

So you keep saying activist investing is nothing to worry about.

它总是好事。

It's always good.
M2
M275:51

当然。

Sure.
M1
M175:51

大多数时候是好事。

Mostly good.

但那个说法用在这个语境里,他们当时还是会担心这个。

But that expression applied in this context, they were still worried about that.
M2
M275:59

对。

Sure.
M1
M175:59

所以,我是说,这里面问题太多了,不过首先,进入董事会这个过程到底是什么样的?

And so, I mean, there's a million questions here, but first of all, what does the process of getting on the board look like?
M2
M276:06

对于一家 U.S. 公司来说,董事会通常都可以在任何时候根据自己的裁量接纳一名成员。

So a board can always admit a member at any time in their discretion for a U.S. company.

也许有些司法辖区需要股东投票,但大多数情况下,董事会可以对他们想要的任何董事人选进行表决。

Maybe there's some jurisdiction where you need a shareholder vote, but in most cases, a board can vote on any director that they want.

如果董事会不邀请你入场,实际上你就得自己去申请成为成员。

If the board doesn't invite you to the party, you have to apply to be a member in effect.

而这个过程叫——基本上就是,最终你要在一次会议上推出一整套候选名单,也就是你提名若干人选。

And that process is called— basically, it's this process of ultimately running a slate for a meeting where you propose a number.

任何股东,只要持有一股股票,就可以提议进入一家公司的董事会。

Any shareholder can propose to be on a board of a company if they own one share of stock.

这家公司都可以。

In the business.

要把你的名字放进公司发给股东的那些材料里,以前那些规则写得非常不友好,很难真正打进去。

Getting your name in the company's— the materials they send to shareholders, those rules were written in a way that were very unfavorable and very difficult to get in the door.

这些规则最近刚改了,现在公司必须把候选人——其实是所有候选人——都放进他们发给股东的材料里,这样股东就可以选出最好的人。

Those rules have been changed very recently where the company now has to include a candidate, really all the candidates, in the materials they send to shareholders so the shareholders pick the best ones.

我们以前申请的时候——或者说,我们以前打 proxy contest 的时候,情况并不是这样。

When we applied— or when we applied, when we ran proxy contests in the past, that was not the case.

所以你得花很多钱,主要是邮寄费用,还有各种法律费用和其他开支,去让所有人知道你在参选,就像打一场政治竞选一样。

So you have to spend a lot of money, mostly mailing fees and all kinds of other legal and other expenses, to let everyone know you're running, like running a political campaign.

然后你还得四处奔波去见大股东,飞遍全国,向他们解释你的理由。

And then you got to run around and meet with the big shareholders, fly around the country, explain your case to them.

然后会召开一次股东大会。

And then there's a shareholder meeting.

如果你拿到多数票,你就进去了。

And if you get a majority of the votes, you get on.
M1
M177:27

这个 proxy contest 或者说 proxy battle 的概念是什么?

What's this proxy contest/battle idea?

它这个——

What's the—
M2
M277:31

所谓 battle,就是当他们不想让你进董事会的时候。

The battle comes when they don't want you to get on.

这里面很多都和——我会说——自尊心、很普通的人性之类的东西有关。

And a lot of that has to do with, I would say, pride, normal human kind of stuff.

很多时候,一家表现不佳的公司的董事会不愿意承认他们确实做得不好。

A lot of times a board of an underperforming company doesn't want to admit that they've underperformed.

二十年前我们创办 Pershing Square 的时候,董事会席位还是挺舒服的差事。

Boards of directors 20 years ago when we started Pershing Square were pretty cushy jobs.

坐在一家公司的董事会里,跟 CEO 在很好的高尔夫球场打打高尔夫,一年参加四次会议就能赚几十万美元。

Sit on a board of a company, you play golf with the CEO at nice golf courses, you make a few hundred thousand dollars a year to go to four meetings.

那有点像一个走过场、盖章式的世界。

It was kind of a rubber-stamp world.

在那种情况下,说到底,真正掌控局面的还是 CEO。

Where boards, at the end of the day, the CEO really ran the show.

一旦股东真的能够把董事会成员赶下去,他们也可能失去自己的席位——这其实就是 shareholder activism 兴起的过程——董事会就开始认真得多地对待自己的责任了。

Once shareholders could actually dislodge board members and they could lose their seats, and that's really the rise of shareholder activism, boards started taking their responsibilities much more seriously.

因为董事很多时候通常都是已经退休的 CEO。

Because directors are typically, in many cases, they're retired CEOs.

这某种程度上就是他们职业后半段赖以谋生的方式。

This is kind of how they're making a living in the later part of their career.

他们同时坐四个董事会。

They sit on four boards.

他们一年拿一百万到一百五十万美元的董事费;如果被股东从董事会里赶下来,那显然很丢脸,而且也会影响他们今后进入其他董事会的机会。

They collect a million, $1.5 million a year in director's fees; if they get thrown off the board by the shareholders, that's embarrassing obviously, and it affects their ability to get on other boards.

还是那句话,就像我前面说的,激励机制决定了人类几乎所有行为。

Again, incentives, as I said earlier, drive all human behavior.

董事们的激励是,他们想保住自己的董事席位。

The incentives of directors, they want to preserve their board seats.

如果你有一个董事——当然,董事会里的董事会承担各种不同角色。

If you have a director— now, the directors on boards serve in various roles.

最脆弱的那些,比如说,担任薪酬委员会主席的人。

The most vulnerable ones are ones who, for example, chair a compensation committee.

如果他们搞了个糟糕的方案,或者给管理层付得太多,他们就会受到股东攻击。

If they put in a bad plan or they overpaid management, they're subject to attack by shareholders.

但这种争夺战跟政治竞选其实挺像的,都会互相抹黑,对方还会放出一些关于你的假消息。

But these contests are not dissimilar to political contests, where there's mudslinging and the other side puts out false information about you.

你就得回应,而且他们花的是股东的钱。

You have to respond, and they're spending the shareholders' money.

所以他们某种程度上资源近乎无限,而你这边,作为一家小公司,花的是你自己和投资人的钱,资源是有限的。

So they have sort of unlimited resources, and you're spending your and your investors' money when you're a small firm, finite resources.

所以他们可以花得比你多,可以起诉你,也可以想办法在规则和操作层面动手脚,让你输掉。

So they can outspend you, they can sue you, they can try to jigger the mechanics in such a way that you're going to lose.

过去确实发生过一些很不幸的事,一些带操纵性质的事。

There's some unfortunate stuff that's happened in the past, some manipulative stuff.
M1
M179:32

还有一些是公开的,比如在媒体上之类的这些东西?

Also some stuff that's public, like in the press and all this kind of stuff?
M2
M279:35

哦,当然。

Oh, of course.

还会有一些报道,讲那些很肮脏的老套路,比如他们会翻你的垃圾,确认你有没有在外面乱搞之类的。

There'll be articles about the dirty days where they would go through your trash and make sure that you're not sleeping around and things like this.

不过也没关系。

But that's okay.

我能扛住这种极端审查,因为这种事我经历很多年了。

I can survive extreme scrutiny because I've been through this for a long time.
M1
M179:57

所以你的意思是,那些养得又肥又安逸的母鸡,在狐狸想闯进来的时候,也会变得像狼一样凶,是吗?

So you're saying the fat and happy hens can get very wolf-like when the fox is trying to break in?

这个比喻我们是这样往下延伸的吗?

Is this how we extend this metaphor?
M2
M280:07

嗯,狐狸对母鸡来说本来就是个威胁。

Well, the fox is a threat to the hens.
M1
M180:09

对。

Yeah.

但这只很有魅力的狐狸刚刚已经跟我解释了,为什么狐狸对所有人都有好处。

But the charismatic fox just explained to me why the fox is good for everybody.
M2
M280:18

说到底,董事会里其实有这样一个人是非常有好处的——这些年来有很多例子,也有一些非常知名的案例,董事会一开始拼命阻止 activist 进入董事会。

At the end of the day, it's actually very good on a board to have someone— there are many examples over time and some handful of high-profile ones where the board fought tooth and nail to keep the activists off the board.

可一旦 activist 真进了董事会,他们就会说,这人其实也没那么糟,股东既然投票让他进来,他也确实有些不错的想法,那我们大家就一起合作,把事情做好。

And then once the activists got on the board and they said, the guy's not so bad after all, the shareholders voted them on, he's got some decent ideas, and let's all work together to have this work out.

所以真正到了争夺战之后,类似那种——顺便说一句,有时候你必须把整个董事会都换掉。

And so there are very few cases where after the contest when the— By the way, sometimes you have to replace the entire board.

我们就干过这种事。

We've done that.

但大多数情况下,你只是在董事会里拿到两个席位而已。关键是,你想建立一个由不同观点组成的董事会,这样才能更接近真相。

But in most cases, you get a couple of seats on the board and it's just, you want to build a board comprised of diverse points of view and that's how you get to the truth.
M1
M180:58

你参与过的董事会争夺战里,最戏剧性的是哪一次?

What was the most dramatic battle for the board that you have been a part of?
M2
M281:03

Canadian Pacific 那场 proxy contest。

The Canadian Pacific proxy contest.

Canadian Pacific 当时被认为是加拿大最具标志性的公司。

So Canadian Pacific was considered the most iconic company in Canada.

它几乎真的是一手建起了这个国家,因为横贯加拿大修起来的铁路,正是把各个省联合成一个国家的关键。

Literally built the country because the rail that got built over Canada is what united the various provinces into a country.

后来随着时间推移,因为铁路生意本身是个相当不错的生意,他们又建了很多酒店,拥有大量房地产,最后变成了一个庞大的 conglomerate,但几十年来管理得非常糟糕。

And then over time, because the railroad business is a pretty good business, they built a ton of hotels, they owned a lot of real estate, and it became this massive conglomerate, but it was horribly mismanaged for decades.

等到我们介入的时候,这已经是北美经营得最差的铁路公司了,而且差得远。

By the time we got involved, it was by far the worst-run railroad in North America.

他们的利润率是最低的。

They had the lowest profit margins.

他们的增长率也是最低的。

They had the lowest growth rate.

每个季度,管理层都会找各种借口,通常都说是天气原因,来解释为什么他们的业绩比不过——而且那边还有个直接竞争对手,一家公司叫 Canadian National,它的铁路也是横贯整个国家。

Every quarter management would make excuses generally about the weather as to why they underperformed versus— and there, there's a direct competitor, a company called Canadian National, has a rail that goes right across the country.

可 Canadian Pacific 一直不停地抱怨天气。

And Canadian Pacific would constantly be complaining about the weather.

说白了,就是同一个国家、同一些地区,铁轨之间离得也没多远。

Basically, same country, same regions, tracks weren't that far apart.

但这又是一家非常重要的公司,能进这个董事会,几乎像是一种荣誉头衔。

But it was a really important company and being on this board was like an honorary thing.

而且董事会里的每个人,都是 Canada 的标志性人物。

And everyone on the board was an icon of Canada.

有 Royal Bank of Canada 的董事长,有最重要的私人粮食公司的负责人,总之就是一群非常有分量的加拿大大企业高管。

The chairman of the Royal Bank of Canada, the head of the most important privately held grain company, sort of an important collection of big-time Canadian executives.

当时我们在那儿,这大概是十三年前吧,我那时可能还是个四十四岁的 New York 人,不是加拿大人,却基本上是在说,这就是北美经营最差的铁路公司。

Here we were, this is probably about 13 years ago, and still maybe a 44-year-old from New York, not a Canadian, basically saying this is the worst-run railroad in North America.

我们以非常低的价格买下了这家铁路公司百分之十二的股份。

We bought 12% of the railroad at a really low price.

第一次见面的时候,我们还带去了史上最厉害的铁路管理者,一个叫 Hunter Harrison 的人,他曾经把 Canadian National 扭转了过来。

We brought with us to our first meeting the greatest railroader ever, a guy named Hunter Harrison who had turned around Canadian National.

所以我们当时想,好,我们手里有一个很棒的资产。

So we were like, okay, we've got a great asset.

我们还有史上最伟大的铁路 CEO。

We've got the greatest railroad CEO of all time.

他都已经退休了,又重新出山。

He's come out of retirement.

准备接手来运营这家铁路公司。

To step in and run the railroad.

可我们第一次带他去开会,他们居然连见都不愿意见他。

And we brought him to the first meeting and they wouldn't even meet with him.

更不用说考虑聘用他了。

And they certainly weren't going to consider hiring him.

于是这就把我们推进了一场 proxy contest。

And that led us to a proxy contest.
M1
M183:09

这时候,脑子的引擎就开始高速运转,去琢磨这场争夺战到底怎么才能赢。

And this is where the engine starts churning to figure out how this contest can be won.

那这里面都需要做些什么?

So what's involved in that?
M2
M283:19

关键是,第一,我们得先找到一批愿意走进这场硬仗的董事人选。

Well, the key is we had to, one, come up with a group of directors who would be willing to step into a battle.

而且我们不想找一堆 New York 的董事,甚至也不想找 American 董事。

And we didn't want a bunch of New York directors or even American directors.

我们想要的是加拿大人。

We wanted Canadians.

问题在于,这是 Canada 最具标志性的公司之一,而我们又想找有头有脸的人物。

The problem was this was the most iconic company in Canada and we wanted high-profile people.

所以我们把 Canada 那些有头有脸的人几乎都谈了个遍。

So we talked to all the high-profile people in Canada.

他们每一个人都会说,Bill,你说得完全对。

Every one of them would say, Bill, you're entirely right.

这东西就是经营得最差的铁路公司。

This thing is the worst-run railroad.

它确实需要被整顿。

It needs to be fixed.

但是我在俱乐部里还会见到 John 啊。

But I see John at the club.

我在 Toronto Club 见到他。

I see him at the Toronto Club.

我做不了这个,但你说得完全对。

I can't do this, but you're totally right.

当时大家担心的就是这个,因为你必须在某个截止日期之前把材料提交上去。

And that was the concern because you have to file your materials by a certain day.

你得组一个董事候选名单。我们需要一个很大的名单,因为我们知道,基本上得把几乎所有董事都换掉。

You got to put together a slate. We needed a big slate because we knew that we had to replace basically all the directors.

后来有一次,我跟一个人聊了聊,他是 Canada 最有钱的几个人之一,而且曾经当过董事会成员。

And then one, I spoke to a guy who was one of the wealthiest guys in Canada who was on the board at one point in time.

他说,Bill,我有个主意给你。

And he said, Bill, I have an idea for you.

有这么一位女士,Rebecca MacDonald。

There's this woman, Rebecca MacDonald.

你为什么不给她打个电话呢?

Why don't you give her a call?

于是我就给 Rebecca 打了电话。她是 Canada 第一位以 CEO 身份带公司上市的女性。

And I called Rebecca and she was the first woman to take a company public in Canada as CEO.

而且她是那种反建制、什么都不怕硬刚的人。

And she was an anti-establishment, not-afraid-to-take-on-anything kind of person.

我给她打了电话,我们聊得特别好。她当时人在 Dominican Republic 的家里,我就飞过去见她了。

And I called her, we had a great conversation, and she was in the Dominican Republic at her house, and I flew down to see her.

她说,行,我全力加入。

And she said, yeah, I'm all in.

其实,一旦我们把她拉进来,就更容易把其他人也找来了。

And actually, once we got her, that enabled us to get others.

然后我们就把候选名单组好了,接着又跟公司那边有了一些挺有意思的交锋。

And then we put together our slate, and we had some pretty interesting dialogue with the company.

他们一直想让我们难堪。

They tried to embarrass us all the time.
M1
M184:50

是在媒体上公开这么做吗?

In the press publicly?
M2
M284:51

你是指什么?

What are we talking about?
M1
M184:52

就是在媒体上公开。

Press publicly.
M2
M284:54

有一次我写了一封邮件,说,听着,这件事咱们还是和平解决吧。

At one point I wrote an email saying, look, let's come to peace on this thing.

但如果不行,那你们真的是在逼我出手了。到时候我们就得租下 Toronto 最大的会场,把所有股东都请来,那对管理层来说会很难堪。

But if we don't, you're really forcing my hand and we're going to have to rent the largest hall in Toronto and invite all the shareholders and it's going to be embarrassing for management.

我当时还提到什么 nuclear winter。

And I made reference to some nuclear winter.

咱们还是别让事情变成 nuclear winter。

Let's not have it be a nuclear winter.

他们以为把那封邮件公开出来能让我难堪,结果反而更激励了我们。

And they thought they'd embarrass me by releasing the email, but it only inspired us.

于是我们租下了 Canada 最大的会场,还做了一套演示,一路讲下来:这是 Canadian National,这是 Canadian Pacific,这是他们说过的话,这是他们做过的事。

And we rented the largest hall in Canada and we put up a presentation walking through: here's Canadian National, here's Canadian Pacific, here's what they said, here's what they did.

然后我们让 Hunter 上台,他是个特别有个人魅力的人,来自 Tennessee,特别厉害——他就像一头狮子。

And then we had Hunter get up, who's this incredibly charismatic guy from Tennessee, an amazing—he's like a lion.

声音特别低沉,过往战绩惊人,而且是个特别受人尊敬的人。

Incredibly deep voice, unbelievable track record, incredibly respected guy.

这感觉就像把 Michael Jordan 从退役状态请出来,然后让他来掌管这家公司。

It's like getting Michael Jordan to come out of retirement and come run the company.

Hunter 真的太厉害了。

Hunter was incredible.

Paul Hilal,还有我团队里的其他成员,也都投入得特别深。

Paul Hilal, other members of my team were super engaged.

而董事会那边——大家都知道 Canadians 一般都很客气。

And the board—Canadians are known to be nice.

所以我们当时遇到的一个问题是,股东从来不会告诉管理层或者董事会,说他们要输了。

So one of the problems we had is shareholders would never tell management or the board that they were losing.

一直到开会前一晚,投票结果出来了,管理层才意识到他们输了。

It was not until the night before the meeting when the vote came in that management realized that they lost.

我们拿到了百分之九十九的票,然后他们就提出要跟我们达成一个协议。

We got 99% of the vote and they offered us a deal.

他们求我们接受这个协议。

They begged us to take a deal.

他们说,你看,我们今晚就辞职。

They said, look, we'll resign tonight.

这样我们明天就不用去开那个会了。

So that we don't have to come to the meeting tomorrow.

他们当时就是尴尬到这种程度。

That's how embarrassed they were.

这件事还挺有意思的。

That was kind of an interesting one.
M1
M186:22

所以不管是这场 proxy battle,还是这家公司本身,这都算是你更成功的投资之一吗?

So in both this proxy battle and the company itself, this was one of your more successful investments?
M2
M286:29

对。

It was.

我是说,这只股票大概涨了十倍,而且这还是一家工业公司。

I mean, the stock's up about 10 times and it's an industrial company.

它是一家铁路公司。

It's a railroad.

它又不是什么高增长公司——它不是 Google。

It's not like a growth—it's not Google.

所以这是个很棒的故事。

So it's a great story.

而且这家公司现在是由一个叫 Keith Creel 的人来管理。

And the company's now run by a guy named Keith Creel.

Keith 当年是 Hunter 一手带出来的人。

Keith was Hunter's protégé.

而且从很多方面来说,他其实比 Hunter 还要强。

And in so many ways, he's actually better than Hunter.

他干得非常出色。

He's doing an incredible job.

这里比较遗憾的地方是,我们当时做得非常好。

The sad part here is we did very well.

几年时间里,我们的本金翻了三倍。

We tripled our money over several years.

后来因为几笔糟糕的投资,我经历了一段非常艰难的时期。

And then I went through a very challenging period because of a couple of bad investments.

我们不得不卖掉手里的 Canadian Pacific,筹资金去支付那些要退出的投资人。

And we had to sell our Canadian Pacific to raise capital to pay for investors who were leaving.

不过在过去这几年里,我们又有机会把它买回来。

But we had another opportunity to buy it back in the last couple of years.

所以现在我们又重新成了这家公司的大股东。

And so we're now again a major owner of the company.

但如果我们当时一直拿着最初那批股票不卖,那结果就会非常传奇了。

But had we held onto our original stock, it would've been epic, if you will.
M1
M187:19

所以在这件事上,你是对的。

So on this one, you were right.
M2
M287:21

对。

Yes.
M1
M187:22

我读过一篇写你的文章,当然,写你的文章有很多。

And I read an article about you, and there are many articles about you.

我读到一篇文章里说,Bill 经常是对的,但你的做法有一种焦土式的风格,往往会造成更多——某种程度上会带来破坏。

I read an article that said, Bill is often right, but you approach it with a scorched-earth approach that can often do more, sort of can do damage.
M2
M287:38

我还没读过那篇说我经常是对的文章,不过好消息是,我们确实经常是对的。

I haven't read the often right article, but the good news is we are often right.

我说“我们”,是因为我们是一个团队,一个小团队,不过还好,我们是个非常成功的团队。

And I say we because we're a team, a small team, but fortunately a very successful one.

我们作为投资人的击球率高得惊人。

Our batting average as investors is extremely high.

好的一点是,我们的业绩记录是完全公开的。

The good news is our record's totally public.

你可以看到我们做过的每一件事。

You can see everything we've ever done.

但媒体一般不会写那些成功的案例。

But the press doesn't generally write about the success stories.

他们写的是失败。

They write about the failures.

所以我们也有过一些史诗级的失败,亏过很多钱。

So we've had some epic failures, big losses.

好消息是,这种情况在所有案例里只占极小一部分。

Good news is they've been a tiny minority of the cases.

当然,没人喜欢亏钱。

Now, no one likes to lose money.

亏别人的钱就更糟了。

It's even worse to lose other people's money.

而我偶尔也确实发生过这种事。

And I've done that occasionally.

好消息是,如果你一直跟着我们长期投下来,你的回报会非常不错。

The good news is if you've stuck with us, you've done very well over a long time.
M1
M188:21

稍微岔开一下,既然我们刚才在聊董事会,你有机会看看 OpenAI 董事会发生的事吗?

On a small tangent, since we were talking about boards, did you get a chance to see what happened with the OpenAI board?

因为我很快就要和 Sam Altman 聊。

Because I'm talking to Sam Altman soon.

你有没有什么看法,或者说,能从这种……

Is there any insight you have, just maybe lessons you draw from this kind of...

这类事件里得到什么教训,尤其是发生在 AI 技术公司身上,这么戏剧化的事情。

These kinds of events, especially with an AI technology company, such dramatic things happening.
M2
M288:42

对,那真是个让人难以置信的故事。

Yeah, that was an incredible story.

你看,公司治理真的非常重要,而 OpenAI 的治理结构,我觉得还有不少值得改进的地方。

Look, governance really matters, and the governance structure of OpenAI, I think, leaves something to be desired.

我觉得 Sam 的意思是这样,也可能 Elon Musk 当初的意思也是这样:它最初是按 nonprofit 设立的。

I think Sam's point was this, and maybe Elon Musk's point, originally set up as a nonprofit.

这也让我想起来,其实我以前投过一家 nonprofit,是一位前 Facebook 创始人办的,他想做一个类似 Facebook 的 nonprofit 平台,来推动世界上的善意。

And it reminds me, actually, I invested in a nonprofit run by a former Facebook founder where he was going to create a Facebook-like entity for nonprofits to promote goodness in the world.

问题在于,他招不到自己想要的人才,因为他没法发 stock options。

And the problem was he couldn't hire the talent he wanted because he couldn't grant stock options.

他也给不了市场水平的薪资。

He couldn't pay market salaries.

最后,他最终把这个业务卖给了一家 for-profit。

And ultimately, he ended up selling the business to a for-profit.

所以这件事让我明白,用 for-profit 的方式来解决问题,比 nonprofit 好得多。

So it taught me for-profit solutions to problems are much better than nonprofits.

而 OpenAI 这里其实有点像一种混合体,对吧?

And here you had kind of a blend, right?

它是按 nonprofit 设立的,但我觉得他们也遇到了同样的问题。

It was set up as a nonprofit, but I think they found the same thing.

如果没有一个 for-profit 子公司,他们就招不到想要的人才。

They couldn't hire the talent they wanted without having a for-profit subsidiary.

但据我理解,这个 nonprofit 实体持有 OpenAI 很大一块股份,而投资人拿到的是一种有上限的权益,也就是说他们的收益上限被封顶了,而且他们在董事会里也没有代表席位。

But the nonprofit entity, as I understand it, owns a big chunk of OpenAI, and the investors own sort of a capped interest where their upside is capped and they don't have representation on the board.

我觉得这本身就是在给问题埋雷,而这里显然就是这么出事的。

And I think that was a setup for a problem, and that's clearly what happened here.
M1
M189:57

而且我想,公司治理这块大概确实存在某种复杂性。

And there's, I guess, some kind of complexity in the governance.

我是说,因为这个 nonprofit 和 capped-profit 这种安排,感觉这里面有很多复杂性,也有很多不太标准的地方,这可能也助长了这个问题。

I mean, because of this nonprofit and capped-profit thing, it seems like there's a bunch of complexity and non-standard aspects to it that perhaps also contributed to the problem.
M2
M290:16

对。

Yeah.

治理真的非常重要。

Governance really matters.

董事会真的非常重要。

Boards of directors really matter.

至少每年给股东一次机会,让他们对一家公司的治理结构发表意见,这一点非常重要。

Giving the shareholders the right to have input at least once a year on the structure of the governance of a company is really important.

由 venture 支持的 private 公司的董事会,其实也不算理想。

Private venture-backed boards are also not ideal.

我自己也积极投资 venture,公司在 private 的 venture 阶段会出现一些复杂的问题,就是董事会成员的激励,和一家企业长期所有者的激励,会有些不一致。

I'm an active investor in ventures, and there are some complicated issues that emerge in private venture-stage companies where board members have somewhat divergent incentives from the long-term owners of a business.

你在很多 venture 董事会里会看到,通常主导董事会的是 venture capital 投资人,也就是这家公司的大投资方。

What you see a lot in venture boards is they're presided over generally by venture capital investors who are big investors in the company.

很多时候,对他们来说,更重要的是让外界觉得他们是优秀的董事,这样他们才能拿到下一笔最好的 deal。

Oftentimes it's more important to them to have the public perception that they're good directors so they get the next best deal.

如果他们因为对 management 过于强硬而出了名,这种消息会在 founders 这个很小的圈子里传开,他们就可能错过下一个 Google。

If they have a reputation for taking on management too aggressively, word will get out in the small community of founders and they'll miss the next Google.

所以,他们的利益不只是局限在那一家具体的公司上。

And so their interests are not just in that particular company.

这也是问题之一。

That's also one of the problems.

再说一次,一切最终都回到激励机制。

Again, it all comes back to incentives.
M1
M191:29

你能跟我解释一下,venture-backed,也就是 VCs,和 shareholders 之间的区别吗?

Can you explain to me the difference between venture-backed, like VCs, and shareholders?

所以这意思是,公司上市之前吗?

So this means before the company goes public?
M2
M291:37

对。

Yeah.

private 的 venture-backed 公司,董事会通常都很小。

So private venture-backed companies, the boards tend to be very small.

可能就是几个 venture 投资人,再加上 management。

Could be a handful of the venture investors and management.

而且往往很少很少有 independent directors。

There are often very rarely independent directors.

这就是一种不太理想的结构。

It's just not an ideal structure.
M1
M191:51

哦,我明白了。

Oh, I see.

你是想要 independent——

You want independent—.
M2
M291:53

有一些人在企业里有经济利益,而且他们只关心这家公司本身的成功,这样是有好处的。相对来说,如果你想想 venture 这个行业,拿到最好的 deal,比任何单独一笔 deal 都更重要。

It's beneficial to have people who have an economic interest in the business and they care only about the success of that company, as opposed to someone who— if you think about the venture business, getting into the best deals is more important than any one deal.

所以你会看到一些情况,董事会会默许 management 的一些不当行为,某些时候甚至是糟糕的行为,因为他们想保住自己那种对 founders 友好的董事名声。

You see cases where the boards go along with, in some cases, bad behavior on the part of management because they want a reputation for being kind of a founder-friendly director.

这就有点成问题了。

That's kind of problematic.

在 public company 的董事会里,你不会有同样的问题。

You don't have the same issue in public company boards.
M1
M192:24

我们刚才聊了你的一些重大成功,还有你的业绩记录,但你也说过你有过一些重大亏损。

We talked about some of the big wins and your track record, but you said there were some big losses.

最大的一次亏损是什么?

What's the biggest loss?
M2
M292:35

我职业生涯里最大的亏损,是一家叫 Valeant Pharmaceuticals 的公司。

Biggest loss of my career is a company called Valeant Pharmaceuticals.

我们投资了一家不符合我们核心原则的企业。

We made an investment in a business that didn't meet our core principles.

制药行业的问题在于——而且我后来发现问题还不少——这是个波动非常大的行业。

The problem with the pharmaceutical industry, and there are many problems as I've learned, is it's a very volatile business.

它是建立在药物发现基础上的。

It's based on drug discovery.

它还要建立在这样一种预测上:在一种药失去专利保护之前,去预测它未来能带来多少收入。

It's based on predicting the future revenues of a drug before it goes off patent.

这里面有很多复杂因素。

Lots of complexities.

我们当时觉得,我们找到了一家可以持有的制药公司,因为它有一位非常不寻常的创始人,还有他经营公司的方式。

We thought we had found a pharmaceutical company we could own because of a very unusual founder and the way he approached his business.

那是一家公司,另一位 activist 当时就在这家公司的董事会里,参与治理并监督日常决策。

It was a company where another activist was on the board of directors of the company and governing and overseeing the day-to-day decisions.

最后我们对这家公司做了一笔被动投资。

We ended up making a passive investment in the company.

在那之前,我们其实基本上不做被动投资。

Up until this point in time, we really didn't make passive investments.

后来这家公司做出了一连串灾难性的决定,于是我们介入,想办法解决问题。

The company made a series of decisions that were disastrous, and then we stepped in to try to solve the problem.

那是我第一次加入董事会。

It was the first time I ever joined a board.

这个烂摊子比我从外面看到的时候大得多,后来我某种程度上就被套住了。

The mess was much larger than I realized from the outside, and then I was kind of stuck.

这是一种对市场信心极其敏感的策略,因为他们是靠收购医药资产来建立业务的,而且在收购目标公司的时候,经常会增发股票。

It was very much a confidence-sensitive strategy because they built their business by acquiring pharmaceutical assets, and they often issued stock when they acquired targets.

一旦市场对管理层失去信心,股价就会被打得很惨,这也削弱了他们继续收购低成本药物的能力。

Once the market lost confidence in management, the stock price got crushed and it impaired their ability to continue to acquire low-cost drugs.

我们亏了四十亿美元。

We lost $4 billion.
M1
M193:57

四十亿美元。

$4 billion.
M2
M293:59

对。

Yeah.

这算不算是一次巨大亏损?

How's that for a big loss?

绝对排得上。

It's up there.
M1
M194:03

我听你整个这段经历,真是一路捏着汗,不管是赚的时候、亏的时候,还是这里面的赌注,都太大了。

I'm sweating this whole conversation, both the wins and the losses and the stakes involved.
M2
M294:07

顺便说一句,那次亏损还引发了其他——我称之为按市值计价的亏损。

By the way, that loss catalyzed other, what I call mark-to-market losses.

关注度非常高,数字又特别大,媒体报道也很灾难性。

Very high profile, huge number, disastrous press.

然后大家就说,好吧,Bill 要完蛋了。

Then people said, okay, Bill's going to go out of business.

所以我们要去做空他手上所有的东西。

So we're going to bet against everything he's doing.

因为我们只持有十样资产,所以大家知道他整个投资组合是什么。

We know his entire portfolio because we only own 10 things.

我们当时还非常有名地做空过一家叫 Herbalife 的公司。

We were short a company called Herbalife very famously.

我们真正做空过的公司其实只有两家。

We've only really shorted 2 companies.

第一家,后来还出了一本书。

The first one, there's a book.

第二家,后来还拍成了一部电影。

The second one, there's a movie.

现在我们已经不再做空公司了。

We no longer short companies.

所以大家把 Herbalife 的股价往上推,而你一旦是做空方,这就是灾难性的。

So people pushed up the price of Herbalife, which is when you're a short seller, that's catastrophic.

这个我可以解释。

I can explain that.

然后他们还做空了我们持有的其他股票。

Then they also shorted the other stocks that we owned.

那次 Valeant 的亏损,导致我们整个投资组合的价值总体下跌了超过百分之三十。

That Valeant loss led to an overall more than 30% loss in the value of our portfolio.

Valeant 的亏损是真实发生的,而且已经彻底落袋了。

The Valeant loss was real and was crystallized.

最后我们把那个仓位卖掉了,认了这笔亏损。

We ended up selling the position, taking that loss.

其他大多数亏损,用我的话说,都是按市值计价的账面亏损,是暂时的。

Most of the other losses were what I would call mark-to-market losses that were temporary.

但很多人会因此直接出局,因为就像我前面提到的,价格大幅波动——如果投资人在赎回,或者你用了杠杆,就可能直接把你搞到关门。

But many people go out of business because, as I mentioned before, large movement of price—if investors are redeeming or you have leverage, it can put you out of business.

大家当时都以为,如果我们被挤到做不下去,就得把所有东西都卖掉,或者回补我们的空头仓位,那样亏损会更严重。

People assumed if we got put out of business, we'd have to sell everything or cover our short position, and that would make the losses even worse.

Wall Street 某种程度上就是这么残酷。

Wall Street is kind of ruthless.
M1
M195:25

所以他们就能从整件事里赚钱。

So they can make money off of that whole thing.
M2
M295:28

没错。

Absolutely.
M1
M195:28

所以他们就利用 Valeant 这个机会,想把你彻底搞垮——

So they used the opportunity of Valeant to try to destroy you—
M2
M295:31

对。

Yes.
M1
M195:32

不管是名声上、财务上,然后再趁机获利、从中赚钱。

Reputation, financially, and then capitalize and make money off of that.
M2
M295:37

对。

Yes.
M1
M195:37

哇,那可真是个很可怕的处境。

Well, that's a terrifying spot to be in.

经历那一切的时候是什么感觉?

What was it like going through that?
M2
M295:42

挺惨的。

It was pretty grim.

其实还不止这些,因为我个人生活里也同时发生了很多事,而且这些事往往是会撞在一起的。

It's actually much worse than that because I had a lot of stuff going on personally as well, and these things tend to be correlated.

Valeant 这个错误发生的时候,我也正在认真考虑我的婚姻问题。

The Valeant mistake came at a time where I was contemplating my marriage.

还有——对冲基金这个行业的问题在于,当你做到一定规模之后,CEO 就会变得像这个业务的 chief marketing officer,而我本质上是个投资人,不是搞营销的人。

I was also—the problem with the hedge fund business is when you get to a certain scale, the CEO becomes like the chief marketing officer of the business, and I'm really an investor as opposed to a marketing guy.

但当投资人给了你几亿美元,他们就会希望一年至少见你一次。

But when you have investors who give you a few hundred million dollars, they want to see you once a year.

Bill,我很想跟你见一面,聊一个小时。

Bill, I'd love to see you for an hour.

但如果这种人有几百个,你就会发现自己老是在飞机上,飞去 Middle East,飞去 Asia,在全国各地到处跑。

But if you've got a couple hundred of those, you find yourself on a plane to the Middle East, to Asia, flying around the country.

那还是 Zoom 出现之前。

This was pre-Zoom.

这会让你远离投资决策过程。

That takes you away from the investment process.

你就不得不更多地授权别人。

You have to delegate more.

这也是导致 Valeant 那次失误的一个原因。

That was a contributor to the Valeant mistake.

所以后来我们在 Valeant 上亏了一大笔钱。

So now we lose a ton of money on Valeant.

我和我前妻当时也在谈分开、离婚的事。

My ex-wife and I were talking about separating, getting divorced.

我先把那件事搁置了,因为我不想在这场危机正当中的时候做决定,结果情况还在不断恶化。

I put that on hold because I didn't want to make a decision in the middle of this crisis, and things just kept getting worse.

我们还被起诉了。

We were also sued.

当你亏了很多钱的时候——我们的投资人倒没有起诉我们,但有个股东起诉了我们,因为股价一跌,股东就会起诉。

When you lose a lot of money, we didn't get sued by our investors, but we got sued by a shareholder because when the stock price goes down, shareholders sue.

除了犯了一个很大的错误之外,我们其实没做错什么,但你还是会卷入诉讼。

We'd done nothing wrong other than make a big mistake, but so you have litigation.

你的投资人也在把钱撤出去。

Your investors are taking their money out.

我那时候还正处在离婚当中。

I'm in the middle of a divorce.

离婚程序开始推进了。

The divorce starts to proceed.

我前妻的律师对我净资产的预期,大概是我实际净资产的三倍,而偏偏就在这个过程中,我的净资产还在继续往下掉。

My ex-wife's lawyer's expectations of what my net worth was was about 3 times what it actually was, and it was going lower right in the middle of this.

我记得那个律师当时说,听着,Bill,我们估算你的净资产是 X,不过别担心,我们只要三分之一。

I remember the lawyer saying, look, Bill, we've estimated your net worth at X, but don't worry, we only want a third.

但那个 X 其实是三倍的 X,所以三分之一就等于百分之百了。

But X was 3X, so a third was 100%.

然后我还卷入了诉讼,而且这件事我以前从来没有公开讲过,我现在就跟你说。

Then I had litigation and actually never before publicly disclosed, and I'll share it with you now.

我们当时有一家上市公司,持有我们大概三分之一的投资组合,我们把它称作我们版本的 Berkshire Hathaway。

We had a public company that owned about a third of our portfolio that was called our version of Berkshire Hathaway.

我一直在试着向 Mr. Buffett 学习,所以那可以说是一种永久资本。

I tried to learn from Mr. Buffett over time and it was, so to speak, permanent capital.

hedge fund 的问题在于,人们每个季度都可以把钱拿走。

The problem with hedge funds is people can take their money out every quarter.

而 Buffett 拥有的是一家这样的公司:如果人们想把钱拿出来,他们卖的是股票,但钱本身还留在公司里。

What Buffett has is a company where people want to take their money out, they sell the stock, but the money stays.

所以我们在二零一四年十月搭了一个类似的结构。

So we set up a similar structure in October of 2014.

然后一年之后,Valeant 的事情发生了。

And then a year later, Valeant happens.

再过一年,我们就陷在这一团乱局当中了。

And then a year later, we're in the middle of the mess.

而且我们还一直没从这团乱局里出来。

And we're still in the mess.

到了二零一七年年中左右,诉讼已经开始了,另外还有一个 activist investor,一家叫 Elliott Associates 的公司——它是由一个叫 Paul Singer 的人管理的——在我们的上市公司里建了很大的仓位。

By kind of mid-2017, we've got litigation underway and another activist investor, a firm called Elliott Associates, which is run by a guy named Paul Singer, took a big position in our public company.

那基本上就是我们大部分的资本。

That was the bulk of our capital.

他们把我们持有的所有股票都做空了,同时做多我们做空的那些股票——大概就是这样。

They shorted all the stocks that we owned and they went long the short— probably went long the stock that we were short.

他们是在押注我们最终会被迫清盘。

They were making a bet that we'd be forced to liquidate.

到那时候他们就能赚钱——因为我们的上市公司股价,相比它持有的全部证券实际价值,是在折价交易的。

Then they would make money on— our public company was trading at a discount to what all the securities were worth.

所以他们买入这家上市公司,做空那些证券,然后来找我们,试图当 activist,逼我们清盘。

So they bought the public company, they shorted the securities, and then they came to see us and to try to be activists and force us to liquidate.

然后这就有点——

And that sort of—.
M1
M199:00

哇。

Wow.
M2
M299:01

所以我当时觉得事情会变成这样——我脑子里预想的结局是,离婚把我所有资源都拿走,这个永久资本载体最终被清盘,然后我这个行业里的另一个 activist 把我彻底挤出局。

So I thought this was going to be— I envisioned an end where the divorce takes all of my resources, the permanent capital vehicle ends up getting liquidated, and another activist in my industry puts me out of business.

也差不多就在那个时候,我认识了 Neri Oxman,而且我彻底爱上了她。

I had met Neri Oxman right around this time, and I had fallen completely in love with her.

我当时脑子里想象的是这样一个世界:我破产了,某个法官判我犯了什么罪,把我送进监狱——或者也不是那个法官,因为他是民事法官,而会是另一个法官,SEC、Department of Justice 都找上门——然后我发现自己陷进了这么一场可怕的烂摊子里。

I was envisioning a world where I was bankrupt, a judge found me guilty of whatever, he sends me off to jail, or not that judge because he was a civil judge, but another judge, SEC, Department of Justice, and I find myself in this incredible mess.

我决定我不想让事情就这么结束。

I decided I didn't want things to end.

以那种方式结束。

That way.

所以我做了一件我以前从来没做过的事。

So I did something I'd never done before.

我之前一直都在说,你不要借钱。

I talked all before about you don't borrow money.

结果我借了钱,我在这一团乱麻的当中,从 JP Morgan 借了三亿美元。

I borrowed money and I borrowed $300 million from JP Morgan in the middle of this mess.

我得非常肯定 JP Morgan,他们当时是看穿了这一切。

I give JP Morgan enormous credit in seeing through it.

另外,我长期以来一直都是他们的好客户,而且他们有点像那种讲究握手承诺的银行。

Also, I had been a good client over a long period of time and it's like a handshake bank.

他们赌我会成功。

And they bet that I would succeed.

我拿那笔钱去买了足够多我们那家上市公司的股票,这样我就能阻止 activist 夺取控制权,等于是把我们这家小上市公司的控制权买回来。

And I took that money to buy enough stock in my public company that I could prevent an activist from taking over, effectively buy control of our little public company.

最后我做成了。

And I got that done.

我知道,那就是那个时刻,那个转折点。

And that I knew was the moment, the turning point.

后来我也把离婚的事解决了,而且当情况很糟的时候,离婚反而更容易谈拢。

And I resolved my divorce, and divorces get easier to resolve when things are going badly.

这个问题我也解决掉了。

I was able to resolve that.

我们把诉讼也和解了。

We settled the litigation.

我当时一直在市场上成批买入我们公司的股票。

I was buying blocks of our stock in the market.

我记得有一天,我在市场上买了一大块股票。

I remember a day I bought a big block of stock in the market.

然后我接到 Gordon Singer 的电话,他是 Paul Singer 的儿子,负责他们在 London 的那部分业务。

I get a call from Gordon Singer, who's Paul Singer's son, who runs their London part of their business.

他就说,Bill,刚才买那一大块的是你吗?

He's like, Bill, was that you buying that block?

我说,是我。

I said, yes.

他就说,靠。

He's like, fuck.
M1
M1100:47

所以他知道——

So he knew—.
M2
M2100:48

他知道,我一旦拿下那部分,他们就不可能成功了,于是他们就撤了。

He knew that once I got that, they were not going to be able to succeed, and they went away.

那就是谷底。

That was the bottom.

从那以后,我们一路走得非常好。

We've had an incredible run since then.
M1
M1100:59

即便经历了 Valeant 的失败,你还是保住了自己的声誉吗?

You were able to protect your reputation from the Valeant failure still?
M2
M2101:04

我的意思是,这个行业里,你总会犯一些错误。

I mean, this is a business where you're going to make some mistakes.

那次是个很大的错误。

It was a big one.

对声誉的伤害非常大。

It was very reputationally damaging.

媒体那边简直是一场彻底的灾难,但我不是那种会放弃的人。

The press was a total disaster, but I'm not a quitter.

其实,对我们来说最关键的时刻是,我们以前从来没有把自己的核心投资原则真正系统地写下来。

Actually, the key moment for us, we had never taken our core investment principles and actually really written them down.

我们在开会的时候聊过这个事,算是我们投资团队的内部会议吧。我跟团队里的一个人说,你去找一大块 granite,再找把凿子,然后把那些核心原则弄上去。

Something we talked about at meetings, kind of our investment team meetings, I had a member of the team, I said, look, go find a big piece of granite and a chisel and let's take those core principles.

我要把它们弄得像 Moses 的十诫一样。

I want them like Moses's 10 Commandments.

好,我们要把它们刻下来,然后挂到墙上。

Okay, we're going to chisel them in, we're going to put it up on the wall.

等我们把这些做出来以后,我们在每个人的桌上都放了一份。

Once we produced those, we put one on everyone's desk.

我说,你们看,如果我们以后再偏离这些核心原则,你们就拿棒球棍敲我。

I said, look, if we ever again veer from the core principles, hit me with a baseball bat.

那就是最低谷了。

That was the bottom.

从那以后,我们度过了这家公司历史上最好的六年。

Ever since then, we've had the best 6 years in the history of the firm.
M1
M1101:53

所以就是重新聚焦基本面。

So refocus on the fundamentals.

这故事也太厉害了。

That's a hell of a story.
M2
M2101:58

爱是有帮助的。

Love helps.

我真的是在人生最低谷的时候遇到了 Neri。

I literally met Neri at the absolute bottom.

我们第一次约会是在二零一七年九月七号。

Our first date was September 7th, 2017.

那已经非常接近最低谷了。

That was very close to the bottom.

其实,这个故事里还有另外一个因素。

Actually, there's one other element to the story.

我认识她之后,这事又持续了几个月。

So this went on for a few months after I met her.

另一个因素是,有一天我接到了 Neri 的电话。

The other element is that one day I got a call from Neri.

她说,Bill,你猜怎么着?

She's like, Bill, guess what?

我说,怎么了?

I'm like, what?

她说,Brad Pitt 要来 Media Lab。

Brad Pitt is coming to the Media Lab.

他想看看我的作品。

He wants to see my work.

我说,太好了,亲爱的。

I'm like, that's beautiful, sweetheart.

我都不知道 Brad Pitt 还对你的作品感兴趣。

I didn't know Brad Pitt was interested in your work.
M1
M1102:25

作为一个男人,这种电话可不太好接。

As a man, that's a difficult phone call to take.
M2
M2102:27

而且显然,呃,他对建筑真的很感兴趣。

And apparently, uh, he's really interested in architecture.

好吧。

Okay.

那时候我和 Neri 基本上就是,你知道,我们整天、每天都在 WhatsApp。

Um, now Neri and I were like, you know, we would WhatsApp all day, every day.

我们一整天都会聊天。

We'd talk throughout the day.

呃,Brad Pitt 早上十点到了 Media Lab。

Uh, Brad Pitt shows up at the Media Lab at 10 o'clock.

我呢,你知道,早上还跟她聊过。

I, you know, talked to her in the morning.

我还会时不时给她发个消息,看看进展怎么样。

I'd kind of text her to see how things are going.

没收到回复。

Don't hear back.

而且在 WhatsApp 上,你还能看到对方到底有没有已读。

And on WhatsApp, you can see like whether the other person's read it or not.

好。

Okay.

对。

Yeah.

还是没回复。

No response.
M1
M1102:51

对。

Yeah.
M2
M2102:52

几个小时之后,我又发了一条短信。

A couple hours later, send another text.

还是没回复。

No response.
M1
M1102:54

对。

Yeah.
M2
M2102:55

六点,没回复。

6 o'clock, no response.

八点,没回复。

8 o'clock, no response.

十点,还是没回复。

10 o'clock, no response.

然后,呃,你知道,到了十点半她终于给我打电话,跟我说 Brad Pitt 有多棒。

And, uh, you know, yeah, she finally calls me at 10:30 and tells me how great Brad Pitt is.

所以我当时脑子里有这么个情景,好吧,我要——法官会罚我,我们会输给法官,我所有的资产都会消失。

So I had this scenario, okay, I'm gonna— a judge is gonna fine me, uh, we're gonna lose to the judge, uh, all my assets will disappear.
M1
M1103:15

对。

Yeah.
M2
M2103:15

然后 Brad Pitt 还要把我女朋友抢走。

And then Brad Pitt's gonna take my girlfriend.
M1
M1103:16

对,Brad Pitt 是你的竞争对手。

Yeah, Brad Pitt's your competition.

这太精彩了。

This is great.
M2
M2103:19

所以那算是一个时刻。

So it was like a moment.

对,那差不多就是最低谷了。

Yeah, that was sort of the bottom.

然后某种程度上,你知道,这也成了一种激励。

And then sort of, you know, the motivational thing.

我不想输给一个 activist,也不想让我女朋友被别的男人抢走。

I didn't want to lose to an activist, didn't want to lose my girl to some other guy.
M1
M1103:29

所以因为 Brad Pitt,再加上这些事,你最后是在所有战线上都成了赢家。

So Brad Pitt, and you emerged from all that the winner on all fronts.
M2
M2103:34

我是个非常幸运的人,非常幸运。

I'm a very fortunate guy, very fortunate and lucky.
M1
M1103:39

你刚才讲了一些这里面的技术层面,但从心理上说,就是,呃,晚上你一个人的时候都在做什么?

You talked about some of the technical aspects of that, but psychologically, just is there, uh, like, what are you doing at night by yourself.
M2
M2103:47

那是一段很艰难的时期。

That was a hard time.

很艰难,因为我和我妻子、孩子们分开了。

Hard time because I was separated from my wife and my kids.

呃,我住在一个,你知道,不算多好的公寓里。

Uh, I was living in, you know, not the greatest apartment.

呃,你知道,我原本有一个很漂亮的家,所以我得另外找一个像单身汉住的那种地方。

Uh, you know, I'm, you know, I had a beautiful home and so I had to go find like a bachelor place.

而且我不想离开我的孩子们。

And I was, I didn't want to be away from my kids.

我,我当时搬到了大概十个街区之外,我就见不到他们了,他们也不喜欢这样。

I, I moved like 10 blocks away and I wasn't seeing them and they didn't like it.

所以最后我买了一套我其实并不喜欢的公寓,呃,就在我孩子们住的同一栋楼里,只是,不同的、不同的入口,这样我就能离他们近一点。

So I ended up buying an apartment I didn't like, uh, in the same building as my kids, like with a different, different entrance so I could be near them.

但我当时是一个人住。

But I was home alone.

我养了一只狗,叫 Babar。

I got a dog that was Babar.

我们叫他 Babar,不是那只大象。

We call him Babar, not the elephant.

他是一只黑色的 Labradoodle。

He's a black Labradoodle.
M1
M1104:24

不错。

Nice.
M2
M2104:25

他本来应该是 mini 的,但他可一点也不 mini。

He was supposed to be a mini, but he's not so mini.

不过我在他六周大的时候就把他带回来了,他会陪着我。

But I got him at 6 weeks old and he would keep me company.

我还开始打坐冥想了,真的。

And I started meditating, actually.

有个朋友给我推荐了 TM。

And a friend recommended TM.

我会早上冥想二十分钟,晚上二十分钟。

And I would meditate 20 minutes in the morning, 20 minutes in the evening.

而且我也,我非常相信运动和举重训练,我还打网球。

And I also, big believer in exercise and weightlifting, and I play tennis.

而且我之前也经历过,这不是我第一次靠近灾难。

And I had been, this is not my first proximity to disaster.

我职业生涯里还有过一次那样的时刻,大概是在二零零二年,我学会了一种应对这种时刻的方法,就是你每天只要取得一点点进展。

I had another moment in my career, like 2002, and I learned this method for dealing with these kind of moments, which is you just make a little progress every day.

所以今天我醒来,我就要去取得一点进展。

So today I'm going to wake up, I'm going to make progress.

我会在诉讼上取得进展,在投资组合上取得进展。

I'll make progress on litigation, make progress on the portfolio.

我也会让我的生活往前推进一点。

I'll make progress with my life.

而进展是会累积的,有点像钱会复利增长一样。

And progress compounds a bit like money compounds.

前几个星期你看不到太多进展,但到大概第三十天的时候,你会觉得,哦,好吧。

You don't see a lot of progress in the first few weeks, but like 30 days in, like, oh, okay.

你不能老抬头看你以前待过的那个山顶,因为那样你会放弃。

You can't look up at the mountaintop where you used to be because then you'll give up.

你只需要,好吧,就一步一步一步往前走。

But you're just, okay, just make step by step by step.

等到九十天的时候,你会觉得,好吧,我原来在那么下面。

And then 90 days in, you're like, okay, I was way down there.

好,现在我已经在山上了。

Okay, I'm on the mountain.

好,我不往上看。

Okay, I don't look up.

就继续前进,前进,前进。

Just keep making progress, progress, progress.

而且进展真的会不断累积。

And progress really does compound.

然后有一天你醒来,会觉得,哇,真不可思议,我已经走了这么远。

And one day you wake up and you're like, wow, it's amazing how far I've come.

如果你去看 Pershing Square,我们公司的走势图,你能看到那个绝对的谷底。

And if you look at a chart of Pershing Square, our company, you can see the absolute bottom.

你能看到我们当时在哪儿,能看到那次下跌,也能看到我们现在在哪儿。

You can see where we were, you can see the drop, and you can see where we are now.

那个巨大的下跌,当时感觉像是一场完全难以置信的灾难,回头看其实就像曲线上的一个小颠簸。

And that huge drop that felt like a complete unbelievable disaster looks like a little bump on the curve.

这真的会让你对这些事情有一种更长远的视角。

And it really gives you perspective on these things.

你就是得硬撑过去。

You just have to power through.

我觉得关键是,我在心理健康这方面一直算比较幸运,再加上营养、睡眠、锻炼,还有每天一点点进步。

And I think the key is, I've always been fortunate from a mental health point of view, and nutrition, sleep, exercise, and a little progress every day.

基本上——就是这些。

It's very— that's it.

还有好的朋友和家人。

And good friends and family.

我那时候每天晚上都得和一个朋友出去散步,我还有一个很爱我的姐姐,还有一直支持我的父母。

I had to go take a walk with a friend every night, and a sister who loves me, and parents who were supportive.

但他们也都在担心他们的儿子,他们的兄弟。

But they were all worried about their son, their brother.

那真是一个坎。

It was a moment.

还有,顺便说一句,另一件要想到的事是,当你从这种事情里恢复过来之后,你真的会更懂得珍惜。

And also, by the way, the other thing to think about is when you recover from something like this, you really appreciate it.

而且,媒体虽然很喜欢看一个成功人士跌下来,他们爱写成功的故事,但他们更爱写失败的故事。

And also, as much as the media loves when some successful person falls, they love writing the story of success, they love even more the story of failure.

但当你从那种失败里重新站起来,这就有点像美国式的故事。

But when you recover from that, it's kind of like the American story.
M1
M1107:06

对。

Yeah.
M2
M2107:06

对吧?

Right?

美国,你想想那些伟大的企业家,他们在成功之前经历过多少次失败。

America, you think of the great entrepreneurs and how many failures they had before they succeeded.

SpaceX 有多少次火箭发射是在发射台上就爆炸了?

How many rocket launches did SpaceX have explode on the pad?

可最后你看到的是成功。

And then you look at success.

我是说,这就是为什么 Musk 那么受人钦佩。

I mean, that's why Musk is so admired.
M1
M1107:22

你刚才提到了 Herbalife。

You mentioned Herbalife.

你能带我讲讲那整段来龙去脉吗?

Can you take me through the saga of that?

那很有历史意义。

It's historic.
M2
M2107:30

所以我们 Pershing Square 做空过的股票非常少。

So we at Pershing Square shorted very few stocks.

原因就在于,做空这件事本身就天生非常凶险。

And the reason for that is short selling is just inherently treacherous.

如果你买一只股票,这叫做 going long。

So if you buy a stock, it's called going long.

你是在买入某样东西。

You're buying something.

你最糟糕的情况,就是把你全部投资都亏掉。

Your worst case scenario is you lose your whole investment.

你一百美元买一只股票,它跌到零,你就亏一百美元。

You buy a stock for $100, it goes to zero, you lose $100.

每股是这样。

Per share.

你用一百美元买一股。

You buy one share at $100.

如果你在一百美元的时候做空一只股票。

You short a stock at $100.

这意思就是说,你从别人那里借来这个证券。

What it means is you borrow the security from someone else.

我当时打了个比方,让大家比较容易理解,就是有点像你觉得银币的价值会往下跌。

The analogy I gave that made it easy for people to understand, it's a bit like you think silver coins are going to go down in value.

你有个朋友,手里有一大堆一八八零年的美国银元。

You have a friend who's got a whole pile of these 1880 silver U.S. dollars.

你觉得这些银元会贬值。

You think they're going to go down in value.

你就说,哎,我能不能先跟你借十个银元?

You say, hey, can I borrow 10 of those dollars from you?

他会说,行啊,但你借的话要付我什么报酬?

He's like, sure, but what are you going to pay me to borrow them?

我就按这些银元今天的价值付你利息。

I'll pay you interest on the value of the dollars today.

所以你借来这些今天每个值一百美元的银元。

So you borrow the dollars that are worth $100 each today.

在你借着它们的这段时间里,你要给他付利息。

You pay him interest while you're borrowing them.

然后你再去市场上把它们按一百美元卖掉。

And then you go sell them in the market for $100.

因为它们现在就值这个价。

That's what they're worth.

接着它们的价格跌到了五十美元。

And then they go down in price to $50.

这时候你再回到市场。

You go back in.

你用五十美元把这些银元买回来,再还给你朋友。

You buy the silver dollars back at $50, and you give them back to your friend.

你朋友这边完全没问题。

Your friend is fine.

他借给了你十个。

He loaned you 10.

你把这十个还给他了,而且这期间他还拿到了利息。

You gave him the 10 back, and he got interest in the meantime.

他很开心。

He's happy.

他的硬币收藏也赚到钱了。

He made money on his coin collection.

对。

Yeah.

但你这边呢,每个硬币赚了五十美元,总共十个。

You, however, made $50 times the 10 coins.

你赚了五百美元。

You made $500.

这相当不错。

That's pretty good.

但问题在于,如果你卖掉之后,它不是从一百美元跌,而是从一百美元涨到一千美元呢?

The problem with that is what if you sell them and they go from $100 to $1,000?

那你现在就得把它们买回来,你得花比如说一万美元,去买回那些你当初只卖了五百美元的硬币。

Now you're going to have to go buy them back and you got to pay whatever, $10,000 to buy back coins that you sold for $500.

你就会亏九千五百美元。

You're going to lose $9,500.

而且股票价格能涨多高,是没有上限的。

And there's no limit to how high a stock price can go.

有些公司的市值能涨到三万亿美元。

Companies go to $3 trillion in value.

Tesla 就有很多人做空过。

Tesla, a lot of people shorted Tesla.

说什么,哦,它估值太高了。

Saying, oh, it's overvalued.

他永远都不可能造出一款成功的电动车。

He's never going to be able to make a successful electric car.

不过,我敢肯定,肯定有人因为做空 Tesla 做到破产。

Well, I'm sure there are people who went bankrupt shorting Tesla.

所以这也是为什么我们当时不做空股票。

That's why we didn't short stocks.

但后来有人把这个机会带到我面前——其实是一位记者,他报道过我职业生涯早期做的另一笔做空投资,一家公司叫 MBIA。

But I was presented with this— actually a reporter that covered the other short investment we made early in my career, a company called MBIA.

他来找我说,Bill,我发现了一家不得了的公司。

Came to me and said, Bill, I found this incredible company.

你一定得看看。

You got to take a look at it.

这完全就是个骗局,他们在坑穷人。

It's a total fraud and they're scamming poor people.
M1
M1109:38

我们得说明一下,MBIA 那笔做空是非常成功的。

We should say that MBIA was a very successful short.
M2
M2109:41

对,确实。

It was.

其中很大一部分原因是,我们用了另一种做空工具,相当于把那种——我们把这笔投资做成了对我们有利的非对称结构,也就是说,先投进去一小笔钱。

A big part of it was that we used a different kind of instrument to short it, where we reversed that sort of— we made the investment asymmetric in our favor, meaning put up a small amount of money.

如果成了,我们就能赚一大笔。

If it works, we make a fortune.

而做空股票呢,有点像是你先把东西卖出去,之后还得买回来,结果可能得以更高的价格买回。

Whereas short selling is you kind of sell something and you have to buy it back at a higher price.

Herbalife 并没有那种所谓可以去买的 credit default swaps。

Herbalife didn't have the what's called credit default swaps that you could purchase.

因为它公司规模还不够大。

Not a big enough company.

流通在外的债务也不够多,没法用那种方式来操作。

Didn't have enough debt outstanding to be able to implement it.

你要想成功押注这家公司会出问题,就只能去做空它的股票。

You had to short the stock in order to make it a successful bet against the company.

而且我对这家公司研究得越多,就越觉得,天哪,这东西就是个惊天骗局。

And the more work I did on the company, the more I was like, oh my God, this thing's an incredible scam.

他们号称卖的是减肥奶昔,但实际上卖的是一种假的商业模式。

They purport to sell weight loss shakes, but in reality they're selling kind of a fake business plan.

那些接受这套东西的人最后都会亏钱,而且他们专门盯着穷人下手。

And the people that adopt it lose money and they go after poor people.

他们盯上的其实很多时候还是没有身份的移民。

They go after, actually in many cases, undocumented immigrants.

他们拿所谓的 American dream 机会去向这些人兜售。

Who are pitched on the American dream opportunity.

因为这些人本来就没什么别的选择,又拿不到合法工作,于是就成了 Herbalife 的分销商。

Because they have few other options, because they can't get legal employment, they become Herbalife distributors.

这是一种生意,属于——所谓的 multi-level marketing,或者说金字塔模式——multi-level marketing 算是这类合法公司的叫法;不然的话,它就是个 pyramid scheme。说白了,你的销售基本只来自那些被你拉进这个生意里、然后被你说服去买产品的人。

It's a business where you— so-called multi-level marketing or pyramid— multi-level marketing is sort of the name for a legitimate company like this, or it's a pyramid scheme where basically your sales are really only coming from people who you convince to buy the product, by getting them into the business.

而这家公司本质上就是这么干的。

That's precisely what this company is.

我当时想,好,做空一个 pyramid scheme,第一,我们看起来能赚很多钱;第二,全世界应该都会站在我们这边,因为他们在伤害穷人。

I'm like, okay, shorting a pyramid scheme seems like one, we'll make a bunch of money, but two, the world will be behind us because they're harming poor people.

监管机构也一定会对这种公司感兴趣。

Regulators will get interested in a company like this.

我们当时觉得 FTC 会直接把这玩意儿关掉。

We thought the FTC is going to shut this thing down.

我们做了大量研究,然后我还做了一场那种可以说很重磅的演示,把所有事实都摆了出来。

We did a ton of work and I gave this sort of epic presentation laying out all the facts.

股价被狠狠干趴下了,我们感觉事情已经开始朝着那个方向走了。

Stock got completely crushed and we were on our way.

政府其实也很早就注意到了,还相当早就启动了调查,SEC 以及其他机构都介入了。

The government actually got interested early on, launched an investigation pretty early, SEC and otherwise.

但后来有个叫 Carl Icahn 的人出现了,我们之间其实也有一点前情故事,不过他这次的动机,主要并不是因为他觉得 Herbalife 是家好公司。

But then a guy named Carl Icahn showed up and we have a little bit of a backstory, but his motivations here were not really principally driven by thinking Herbalife was a good company.

他觉得这是个伤害我的好办法。

He thought it was a good way to hurt me.

他基本上就是买了一大堆股票,然后说这是一家特别棒的公司。

He basically bought a bunch of stock and said it was a really great company.

Carl 至少在当时,确实挺有分量的,也是个很有公信力的投资人,资源很多,然后这场大戏就开始了。

Carl, at least at the time, threw his weight around a bit and was a credible investor, had a lot of resources, and that began the saga.
M1
M1112:05

顺便说一句,他自己也是个传奇投资人,对吧?

He was, we should say, a legendary investor himself?
M2
M2112:11

要说传奇,从某种意义上讲,没错,当然算。

I'd say legendary in a sense, yes, for sure.

一个 icon。

An icon.
M1
M1112:14

很有标志性。

Iconic.
M2
M2112:15

Carl Icahn。

Carl Icahn.
M1
M1112:16

哦,这个接得很好。

Oh, that's very well done.
M2
M2112:18

绝对是个很有标志性的投资人。

Definitely an iconic investor.
M1
M1112:19

你们两个人之间的前情故事是什么?

What was the backstory between the two of you?
M2
M2112:23

我刚提过,我之前还有一段时间经历了非常重大的商业挑战。

So I mentioned that I had another period of time where significant business challenges.

那是在我的第一支基金,叫 Gotham Partners 的时候。我们当时让法院叫停了一笔交易,交易的一方是我们持有的一家 private company,另一方是一家 public company。

This was my first fund called Gotham Partners, and we had a court stop a transaction between some private— a private company we owned and a public company.

如果你想聊的话,这又是个很长的故事。

It's another long story if you want to go there.
M1
M1112:38

我也很想听。

I would love to hear it as well.
M2
M2112:40

不过这件事最后确实让我下定决心,把我之前那支基金清盘。

But it was really my deciding to wind up my former fund.

我们当时持有一家叫 Hallwood Realty Partners 的公司很大一部分股份,这家公司持有房地产资产。

We owned a big stake in a company called Hallwood Realty Partners, which was a company that owned real estate assets.

它的实际价值比当时市场交易价格高得多,但需要有 activist 真正把这个价值释放出来。

It was worth a lot more than where it was trading, but it needed an activist to really unlock the value.

可我们那时候实际上已经在关门了,没有时间,也没有资源去推进这件事。

We were in fact going out of business and didn't have the time or the resources to pursue it.

所以我就把它卖给了 Carl Icahn。

So I sold it to Carl Icahn.

我卖给他的价格,比当时股票的市场价格有溢价。

I sold it to him at a premium to where the stock was trading.

我记得那只股票当时大概是六十六美元。

I think the stock was like $66.

我八十美元卖给了他,但它实际大概值一百五十美元。

I sold it to him for $80, but it was worth about $150.

我当时说,你看——这个交易里有一部分是 Carl 说,听着,我会给你一个 schmuck insurance。

I said, look— part of the deal was Carl's like, look, I'll give you schmuck insurance.

我会确保你最后看起来不至于太难堪。

I'll make sure you don't look bad.

其实我当时还有另一个出价更高、但没有 schmuck insurance 的交易,不过最后我还是选了跟 Carl 做这笔价格更低、但带 schmuck insurance 的交易。

I had another deal at a higher price without schmuck insurance, but I did a deal with Carl at a lower price with schmuck insurance.

这个 schmuck insurance 的意思是,他说,你看,Bill,如果我在接下来三年里以更高的价格把这些股票卖掉,我会把我利润的百分之五十分给你。

The way the schmuck insurance went, he said, look, Bill, if I sell the stock in the next 3 years for a higher price, I'll give you 50% of my profit.

这条件相当不错。

That's a pretty good deal.

所以我们就这么成交了。

So we made that deal.

因为我当时是在跟 Carl Icahn 打交道,他这个人一向以难搞出名。

Because I was dealing with Carl Icahn, who had a reputation for being difficult.

所以我特别盯着那份协议,我们不想让他有任何耍小聪明的空间。

I was very focused on the agreement and we didn't want him to be able to be cute.

所以协议里写的是,如果他卖出,或者以其他方式转让他的股份——而且我们专门写了一个定义,把各种版本的“卖出”全都包含进去,因为那可是 Carl。

So the agreement said, if he sells or otherwise transfers his shares, and we came up with a definition to include every version of sale, because it's Carl.

结果呢,他后来买了这个股份,然后又对这家公司发起了收购报价。

Well, he then buys the stake and then makes a bid for the company.

而且计划就是让他把这家公司拿下来。

And the plan is for him to get the company.

他先是出了每股一百二十美元,然后公司找了 Morgan Stanley 来帮它出售自己。

And he bids like $120 a share and the company hires Morgan Stanley to sell itself.

接着他把报价提到每股一百二十五美元,然后一百三十美元,最后公司还是被卖掉了。

And he raises his bid to $125 and then $130 and eventually gets sold.

具体价格我记不太清了。

I don't remember the exact price.

就假设是每股一百四十五美元吧。

Let's say $145 a share.

而 Carl 并不是最后中标的买家,于是他卖掉了他的股票,或者说,他以每股一百四十五美元的价格失去了或者转让了他的股份。

And Carl's not the winning bidder and he sells his stock, or he loses or transfers his shares for $145 a share.

所以他实际上得把每股一百四十五美元和八十美元之间的差额,乘以百分之五十,付给我们的投资人。

So he owes actually our investors the difference between $145 and $80, times 50%.

而且我当时还——律师一般都不喜欢你在协议里放这种算术例子。

And I had like, lawyers never like you to put like an arithmetic example.

但我还是在文件里直接放了一个公式,像数学书里那种,这样就不会有任何歧义。

I put like a formula, like out of a math book, in the document so there can be no confusion.

那份协议总共也就八页,真的非常简单。

It was only an 8-page, really simple agreement.

所以交易完成之后,他应该在两个工作日或者三个工作日内把钱付给我们。

So the deal closes and he's supposed to pay us in 2 business days or 3 business days.

我等了几个工作日,结果钱一分都没到账。

I wait a few business days, no money comes in.

我就给 Carl 打电话。

I call Carl.

我说,Carl,恭喜你啊,Hallwood Realty 那笔交易。

I'm like, Carl, congratulations on the Hallwood Realty.
M1
M1115:04

谢谢,Bill。

Thanks, Bill.
M2
M2115:05

我说,Carl,我就是想提醒你一下,我知道这事已经过去几年了,但我们之间有这么个协议。

I said, Carl, I just want to remind you, I know it's been a few years, but we have this agreement.

还记得那个“schmuck 保险”吧?

Remember the schmuck insurance?

他就说,记得。

He's like, yeah.

我说,那你得把我们的 schmuck 保险那笔钱付了。

I said, well, you owe us our schmuck insurance.

他说,什么意思?

He said, what do you mean?

我又没卖我的股份。

I didn't sell my shares.

我说,你现在还持有那些股份吗?

I said, do you still have the shares?

他说,没有。

He says, no.

我说,那这些股份后来怎么了?

I said, what happened to them?

他说,哦,公司做了一笔现金并购。

Well, the company did a merger for cash.

他们把我的股份拿走了,但不是我卖的。

And they took away my shares, but I didn't sell them.

你明白发生了什么吗?

Do you understand what happened?

所以我就说,Carl,我恐怕得起诉你了。

So I said, Carl, I'm going to have to sue you.

他说,起诉我啊。

He said, sue me.

他说,我要起诉你。

I'm going to sue you, he says.

所以我就起诉了他。

So I sued him.

而且美国的法律体系,有时候是要花不少时间的。

And the legal system in America can take some time.

事情是这样,我们起诉了,然后我们在那个,算是 New York Supreme Court 吧,打赢了。

And what he would do is we sued, and then we won in the, whatever, New York Supreme Court.

然后他就上诉。

And then he appealed.

你可以在案子结束之后,大概六个月内提出上诉。

You can appeal like six months after the case.

我们一直等到第一百七十九天,然后他就会提起上诉。

We waited till the 179th day, and then he would appeal.

接着我们就在上一级继续打,然后他又会上诉。

Then we fought it at the next level, and then he would appeal.

他一路上诉到了 Supreme Court。

He appealed all the way to the Supreme Court.

当然,Supreme Court 不会受理这个案子。

Of course, the Supreme Court wouldn't take the case.

这事拖了好多年。

It took years.

当时根据我们的协议,他欠我们的那笔钱,要按百分之九计息。

Now, we had, as part of our agreement, we got 9% interest on the money that he owed us.

所以我把它看成是我的 Carl Icahn 货币市场账户,只不过利率高得多。

So I viewed it as my Carl Icahn money market account with a much higher interest rate.

最后,我赢了。

Eventually, I won.
M1
M1116:20

金额是多少?

What was the amount?
M2
M2116:22

很小。

Tiny.

不,对我的投资人来说,这笔钱还是很重要的。

No, it was material to my investors.

所以我的第一支基金,我后来把它清盘了,但我想尽可能为我的投资人把一切都做到最好。

So my first fund, I wound it down, but I wanted to maximize everything for my investors.

这些人是在我二十六岁的时候支持我的人。

These are the people who backed me at 26 years old.

我那时候刚从商学院出来。

I was right out of business school.

我毫无经验,但他们支持了我。

I had no experience, and they supported me.

所以我愿意为他们拼到最后。

So I'm going to go to the end of the earth for them.

而四百五十万美元,相对于我们基金最后大概四亿美元的规模来说,

And $4.5 million relative to our fund at the end was maybe $400 million.

所以它不算是个特别大的数字,但在我把我们所有流动性证券都卖掉之后,它占剩余资产的比例还是很高的。

So it wasn't a huge number, but it was a big percentage of what was left after I sold all our liquid securities.

所以我才一直为这笔钱据理力争。

So I was fighting for it.

所以我们拿到了四百五十万美元,外加大概八年的利息之类的。

So we got $4.5 million plus interest for 8 years or something.

这场诉讼就是拖了那么久。

That's how long the litigation took.

所以我们最后大概拿到了双倍。

So we got about double.

所以他欠我九百万美元,而对 Carl Icahn 来说——他当时身家大概有两百亿美元——这根本不算什么。

So he owed me $9 million, which to Carl Icahn, who had probably a $20 billion net worth at the time, this was nothing.

但对我来说,这就像是,好吧,这可是我投资人的钱。

But to me it was like, okay, this is my investors' money.

我一定要把它拿回来。

I'm going to get it back.

所以最后我们赢了。

And so eventually we won.

最后他付了钱,然后他给我打电话。

Eventually he paid and then he called me.

他说,Bill,恭喜你。

He said, Bill, congratulations.

现在我们可以做朋友了,也可以一起做点投资。

Now we can be friends and we can do some investing together.

我当时就想,Carl,去你的。

I'm like, Carl, fuck you.
M1
M1117:26

你真的说了“去你的”?

You actually said fuck you?

对。

Yes.
M2
M2117:28

我平时一般不是这种人,但他让我等了八年才还钱,还不是欠我的钱,甚至都不是欠我的,是欠我投资人的钱。

I'm not that kind of person generally, but he made me wait 8 years to pay me, not me, even me, my investors' money they owed.

所以,对,他大概不太喜欢我那样说。

So yeah, so he probably didn't like that.

所以他就有点像一直潜伏着,等着找机会。

So he kind of hung around in the weeds waiting for an opportunity.

再后来,我创办了 Pershing。

And then from there, I started Pershing.

我们那时候基本上就是一路直线上升。

We had a kind of straight line up.

最初那十二年,我们几乎怎么做都不会错。

The first 12 years, we could do nothing wrong.

后来就是 Valeant、Herbalife,对吧?

Then Valeant, Herbalife, right?

他看到了一个机会,就买进那只股票,觉得自己能把我彻底逼下场。

He sees an opportunity and he buys the stock and he figures he's going to run me off the road.

所以那件事就是从那时候开始的。

And so that was the beginning of that.

然后有那么一个时刻,我听 CNBC 说,那可能是商业电视史上收视最高的一个片段。

And kind of the moment, and I think I'm told by CNBC it's the most watched segment in business television history.

他们当时在 CNBC 上采访我,聊 Herbalife 那笔投资,然后 Carl Icahn 打电话连线进节目。

They're interviewing me about the Herbalife investment on CNBC, and then Carl Icahn calls into the show.

我们有一段挺有意思的对话,他在里面各种骂我、给我起各种难听的称呼之类的。

We have kind of an interesting conversation where he calls me all kinds of names and stuff.

那真是个大场面。

It was a moment.

那是我人生里的一个重要时刻。

It was a moment in my life.
M1
M1118:28

当时外界还不知道他在做多 Herbalife,对吧?

It wasn't public information that he was long on Herbalife?
M2
M2118:32

他那时候还没有披露自己持有股份。

He didn't yet disclose he had a stake.
M1
M1118:34

对。

Yeah.
M2
M2118:35

但他就是一直在跟我说,我去做空这家公司有多蠢。

But he was just telling me how stupid I was to be short this company.
M1
M1118:38

所以对他来说,这件事其实不是看这家公司的基本面。

So for him, it wasn't about the fundamentals of the company.

那件事——说到底就是私人恩怨。

It was about—it was just personal.
M2
M2118:45

百分之百。

100%.
M1
M1118:46

你会不会有一部分觉得后悔,在那通电话里对 Carl Icahn 说了 fuck you?

Is there a part of you that regrets saying fuck you on that phone call to Carl Icahn?

不会。

No.
M2
M2118:55

我一般不会后悔,因为我对自己现在所处的位置很满意。

I generally have no regrets because I'm very happy with where I am now.

我觉得这有点像,你在森林里踩到一只蝴蝶,整个世界都会改变,因为每个行动都会带来反应。

I feel like it's a bit like you step on the butterfly in the forest and the world changes because every action has a reaction.

如果你对自己是谁、你现在的人生状态都很满意,那你这一生做过的每一个决定,不管是好是坏,都会把你带到你现在这个精确的位置。

If you're happy with who you are, where you are in life, every decision you've made, good or bad, over the course of your life got you to precisely where you are.

我什么都不会改。

I wouldn't change anything.
M1
M1119:18

你说你在 Herbalife 上亏了钱。

You said you lost money on Herbalife.

所以呢——所以他是打了一场长期战?

So what—so he did the long-term battle?
M2
M2119:24

他做的是进入了这家公司的董事会。

What he did is he got on the board of the company.

然后利用公司的财务资源,再加上他在这家公司里的持股,来逼我们。

And used the company's financial resources plus his stake in the business to squeeze us.

所谓做空里的 squeeze,就是你去限制证券的供给,造成稀缺,然后再鼓动别人买这只股票,把股价往上推。

A squeeze in short selling is where you restrict the supply of the securities so that there's a scarcity, and then you encourage people to buy the stock and you drive the stock up.

就像我刚才解释过的,你在十块钱做空这些股票,结果它涨到一百块。

As I explained before, you short those coins at 10, they go to 100.

那你理论上可能会亏掉没有上限的钱。

You can lose theoretically an unlimited amount of money.

这很吓人。

That's scary.

所以我们不做空股票。

That's why we don't short stocks.

这也是为什么在这之前我不做空股票。

That's why I didn't short stocks before this.

但这一次——很不幸,我算是亲自上了一课。

But this was—unfortunately, I had to have the personal lesson.
M1
M1120:01

所以对他来说,这里面有多少是私人因素,又有多少只是某种投资博弈的一部分?

So how much was for him personal versus part of sort of the game of investing?
M2
M2120:07

嗯,他觉得这么做能赚钱。

Well, he thought he could make money doing this.

如果他觉得赚不到,他就不会这么干。

He wouldn't have done it if he thought otherwise.

他觉得,凭他的公众影响力、他制造 short squeeze 的能力、以及他对公司的控制力,能让他做到这一点。

He thought his bully pulpit, his ability to create a short squeeze, his control over the company would enable him to achieve this.

他赚了十亿美元,我们亏了十亿美元。

He made a billion, we lost a billion.
M1
M1120:21

所以你觉得那是个财务决定,不是私人——

So you think it was a financial decision, not a personal—.
M2
M2120:24

决定去做这件事本身是出于私人因素,但他一直在等一个机会,一个能靠让我们付出代价来赚钱的机会,而对他来说,这某种程度上是个很高明的机会。

It was a personal decision to pursue it, but he was waiting for an opportunity where he could make money at our expense, and it was kind of a brilliant opportunity for him.

而讽刺的是,嗯,首先,FTC 发现了一些很有意思的事实。

Now the irony is, well, first of all, the FTC found a few interesting facts.

第一,政府发起了调查。

So one, the government launched an investigation.

最后他们和这家公司达成了和解,这家公司支付了两亿两千万美元的罚款。

They ended up settling with the company, and the company paid $220 million in fines.

几年前我遇到了一位 Berkeley 的教授,他告诉我,政府曾请他担任 Herbalife 方面的专家,他因此拿到了他们所有的数据,并且能够证明他们就是个 pyramid scheme。

I met a professor from Berkeley a couple of years ago who told me that he had been hired by the government as their expert on Herbalife and he got access to all their data, was able to prove that they're a pyramid scheme.

但政府最后还是跟 Herbalife 和解了,因为他们担心自己在法庭上有可能会输,所以就跟他们和解了。

But the government ultimately settled with Herbalife because they were afraid they could possibly lose in court, so they settled with them.

但如果你看这只股票的话,如果我们当时能一直把空头仓位持有到底,我们本来会赚很多钱,因为我们做空它的时候,它的市值有六十亿美元。

But if you look at the stock, if we'd been able to stay short the entire time, we would have made a bunch of money because the stock had a $6 billion market cap when we shorted it.

现在大概也就十亿美元到十五亿美元。

Today it's probably a billion, a billion and a half.
M1
M1121:16

所以你后来退出了那个空头仓位,或者不管那个术语怎么说。

So you left the short position or whatever that's called.
M2
M2121:19

回补了。

Covered.

平仓了。

Closed it out.

我们卖掉了 Valeant。

We sold Valeant.

我们回补了 Herbalife 的空头。

We covered Herbalife.

那是这家公司重新校准的时刻,因为从心理层面来说——投资最美妙的一点就是,你不需要用你亏钱的那种方式把钱赚回来。

That was the resetting moment for the firm because it would just psychologically— The beauty of investing is you don't need to make it back the way you lost it.

你可以就直接认赔。

You can just take your loss.

顺便说一句,亏损其实也是有价值的,因为政府允许你把它算成税务亏损,这样可以冲抵其他收益。

By the way, losses are valuable in that the government allows you to take a tax loss and that can shelter other gains.

然后我们就重新聚焦了。

And we just refocused.
M1
M1121:43

你能不能说一件你真的很喜欢 Carl Icahn 的地方,再说一件你真的不喜欢他的地方?

Can you say one thing you really like about Carl Icahn and one thing you really don't like about him?
M2
M2121:48

当然。

Sure.

他这个人其实很有魅力。

So he's a very charming guy.

所以在这整件事期间,在 Hallwood 那次事件里,他还带我去他最喜欢的一家意大利餐厅吃饭。

So in the midst of all this, at the Hallwood one, he took me out for dinner to his favorite Italian restaurant.
M1
M1121:59

真的?

Really?
M2
M2122:00

对。

Yeah.

当时我们正处在诉讼过程中,想看能不能把这事解决掉。

We were in the middle of the litigation to see if he could resolve it.

他还提出要给我最喜欢的慈善机构捐一千万美元。

And he offered $10 million to my favorite charity.

问题是,那不是我的钱。

The problem was that it wasn't my money.

那是我投资人的钱,所以我不能基于这个条件跟他和解。

It was my investors' money, so I couldn't settle with him on that basis.

不过我确实有机会在晚餐时跟他真正相处了一段时间。

But I had the chance to spend real time with him at dinner.

他很幽默。

He's funny.

他很有个人魅力。

He's charismatic.

他有特别多让人惊叹的故事。

He's got incredible stories.

而且其实,随着时间过去,我也跟他和解了。

And actually, I made peace with him over time.

我们甚至还在 CNBC 上小小拥抱了一下。

We had a little hug out on CNBC.

信不信由你,我甚至还请他来过我家。

Even had him to my house, believe it or not.

我办过一个叫 Finance Cup 的活动,那是一个欧洲和美国金融界人士之间的网球锦标赛。

I hosted something called the Finance Cup, which is a tennis tournament between people in finance in Europe and the US.

后来我们在我家办了那个活动,有个人居然想着把 Carl Icahn 也请来。

And we had the event at my house, and one guy thought to invite Carl Icahn.

所以那天 Carl Icahn 也到了现场来颁奖。

And so we had Carl Icahn there to present awards.

而且我得再说一句,我其实还挺喜欢这家伙的。

And again, I have to say, I kind of like the guy.

不过在那件事期间,我可没那么喜欢他。

But I didn't like him much during this.
M1
M1122:54

有没有一种情况——因为至少从外人的角度看,这里面多少有点私人报复的味道。

Is there— because at least from the outsider perspective, there's a bit of a personal vengeance here.

或者说,怒气是会一点点积累起来的。

Or anger can build up.

你会不会担心,强势投资人之间这种人身攻击,会影响你判断什么才是正确的财务决策?

Do you ever worry the personal attacks between powerful investors can cloud your judgment of what is the right financial decision?
M2
M2123:12

我觉得这是有可能的,不过我还是会尽量让自己在经济上保持极度理性。

I think it's possible, but again, I try to be extremely economically rational.

其实,过去七年一直都挺平静的。

Actually, the last 7 years have been quite peaceful.

我已经很多年没有用以前那种老派方式做 activist 了。

I really have not been an activist in the old form for many years.

事实上,哪怕回看我们过去绝大多数 activist investments,处理方式也都是非常礼貌、非常尊重人的。

The vast majority of even our activist investments historically were very polite, respectful cases.

当然,媒体总是会盯着那些更有戏剧性的案例。

The press, of course, focuses on the more interesting ones.

Chipotle 是我们做过最成功的投资之一。

Chipotle was one of the best investments we ever made.

我们拿到了八个董事会席位中的四个,然后我们和管理层一起合作。

We got 4 of 8 board seats and we worked with management.

结果非常好。

It was a great outcome.

我觉得这件事甚至从来没什么报道。

I don't think there's ever been a story about it.

自从我们请 Brian Niccol 来当 CEO 之后,这只股票差不多涨了将近十倍。

The stock's up almost 10 times from the time we hired Brian Niccol as CEO.

但这事不吸引人,因为中间没有大战。

But it's not interesting because there was no battle.

而 Herbalife 那件事,当然就像是一场史诗级大战。

Whereas Herbalife, of course, was like an epic battle.

甚至 Canadian Pacific 那次也是。

Even Canadian Pacific.

所以有那么一段时间,大多数人线下见到我,都会说,哇,Bill,你看起来人真挺好的。

So for a period there, most people when they meet me in person, they're like, wow, Bill, you seem like a really nice guy.

不过我想说——过去这七年事情确实都挺平静的。

But I thought— But things have been pretty calm for the last 7 years.
M1
M1124:11

当然,你的人生不只是投资,尤其是最近这段时间。

Of course, there's more than just investing that your life is about, especially recently.

我先想问问你对这个世界正在发生的事怎么看。

Let me just ask you about what's going on in the world first.

对于 Hamas 在十月七号对 Israel 发动的袭击,你当时是什么反应?现在又是怎么看、怎么想的?

What was your reaction and what is your reaction and thoughts with respect to the October 7th attacks by Hamas on Israel?
M2
M2124:35

你知道,我们生活在一个很令人难过的世界里。第一,这个世界上有恐怖分子;第二,竟然还会发生这么野蛮的恐怖主义暴行。

You know, it's a sad world that we live in, that one, we have terrorists, and two, that we could have such barbaric terrorism.

对,这就是又一次提醒了我们这一点。

And yeah, it's just a reminder of that.
M1
M1124:46

这里面我其实可以问的有好几个方向。

So there's several things I can ask here.

一个是你对 Middle East 前景的看法,另一个是你怎么看这场战争在 United States 引发的反应,尤其是在大学校园里。

First on your views on the prospects of the Middle East, but also on the reaction to this war in the United States, especially on university campuses.

那先让我直接问一句,你说过你是支持 Palestinian 的。

So first, let me just ask, you've said that you're pro-Palestinian.

你能解释一下你这话是什么意思吗?

Can you explain what you mean by that?
M2
M2125:08

我发了很多关于 Israel 的帖子,很明显我是非常支持 Israel 这个国家的,支持 Israel 存在的权利,也支持 Israel 自卫的权利。

With all of my posts about Israel, I'm obviously very supportive of the country of Israel, Israel's right to exist, Israel's right to defend itself.

我的阿拉伯朋友、我的巴勒斯坦朋友当时有点像是在说,嘿,Bill,你人呢?

My Arab friends, my Palestinian friends were kind of saying, hey Bill, where are you?

那巴勒斯坦人的生命呢?

What about Palestinian lives?

我人生挺早的时候,有个叫 Marty Peretz 的人,他一直以来对我都很重要,他是个教授,也是我基金的第一位投资人。他把我介绍给了 Neri,还在我刚毕业的时候,叫我加入一个叫 Jerusalem Foundation 的非营利组织。那是一个慈善基金会,当时是支持 Teddy Kollek 担任 Jerusalem 市长时的工作。

And I was pretty early in my life, a guy named Marty Peretz who's been important to me over the course of my life, a professor, first investor in my fund, introduced me to Neri, asked me when I was right out of school to join this nonprofit called the Jerusalem Foundation, which was a charitable foundation that supported Teddy Kollek when he was mayor of Jerusalem.

后来我在三十多岁的时候,成了 Jerusalem Foundation 最年轻的主席,我也在 Israel 待过一段时间。

I ended up becoming the youngest chairman of the Jerusalem Foundation in my 30s, and I spent some time in Israel.

而我早期通过 Jerusalem Foundation 做的那些慈善工作里,我最关心的,其实有点是巴勒斯坦人的处境,以及某种和平共处。

And the early philanthropic stuff I did with the Jerusalem Foundation, the thing I was most interested in was kind of the plight of the Palestinians and kind of peaceful coexistence.

所以我算是很早就有了这样一种视角。

And so I had kind of an early kind of perspective.

而且作为 Jerusalem Foundation 的主席,我会走进阿拉伯社区,到他们家里去见那些家庭。

And as chairman of the Jerusalem Foundation, I would go into Arab communities and I would meet with families in their homes.

你会真切感受到一个群体的人性,而我在乎人性。

You get a sense of the humanity of a people and I care about humanity.

一般来说,我会站在那些处于不利地位的人这边。

I generally take the side of people who've been disadvantaged.

我们几乎所有的慈善工作,都是在这个层面上做的。

Almost all of our philanthropic work has been in that capacity.

所以这算是我很自然的一种视角,但我当然绝不会站在恐怖分子那一边。

So that's sort of my natural perspective, but I don't take the side of terrorists ever, obviously.

而整件事就是一场悲剧。

And the whole thing is just a tragedy.
M1
M1126:42

所以对你来说,这件事是关于 Hamas,不是关于 Palestine,对吗?

So to you, this is about Hamas, not about Palestine?
M2
M2126:45

对。

Yes.

我的意思是,问题当然在于,Hamas 在过去将近二十年里一直控制着 Gaza,包括教育体系也在他们手里,他们在教育——

I mean, the problem, of course, is when Hamas controls, for the last almost 20 years, has controlled Gaza, including the education system, they're educating.

你会看到那些培训视频,连幼儿园小孩都被灌输对 Jews 和 Israel 的仇恨。

You see these training videos of kindergartners indoctrinating them into hating Jews and Israel.

所以,这就,而且当然,你也不愿意看到一些巴勒斯坦人在庆祝十月七日最早传出来的那些视频,卡车后面是尸体,人们却在欢呼。

So it's, and of course you don't like to see Palestinians celebrating some of those early videos of October 7th with dead bodies in the back of trucks and people cheering.

所以这真的是一个非常不幸的局面。

So it's a really unfortunate situation.

但在我看来,一个巴勒斯坦人的生命,和一个犹太人的生命、一个美国人的生命一样重要,一样有价值。

But I think about a Palestinian life as important, as valuable as a Jewish life, as an American life.

那人们真正想要的是什么呢?

And what do people really want?

他们想要一个地方,想要一个家,想要能养活自己的家人。

They want a place, they want a home, they want to be able to feed their family.

他们想要一份工作,能带来养家糊口所需要的资源。

They want a job that generates the resources to feed their family.

他们希望自己的孩子能过上比自己更好的生活。

They want their kids to have a better life than they've had.

他们想要和平。

They want peace.

我觉得这些都是最基本的人类诉求。

I think these are basic human things.

我相信绝大多数巴勒斯坦人都认同这些想法,但这个局面里仇恨已经根深蒂固了,还有,就像我说的,那种灌输。

I'm sure the vast majority of Palestinians share these views, but it's such an embedded situation with hatred and, as I say, indoctrination.

然后回到激励机制这个问题,恐怖分子是通过实施恐怖主义来获取资源的,他们就是这样拿到资金。

And then going back to incentives, terrorists generate their resources by committing terrorism, and that's how they get funding.

而且这里面还有很多贪腐。

And there's a lot of graft.

这就是富豪统治,对吧?

It's a plutocracy, right?

如果你相信媒体里的那些数字,恐怖主义金字塔最顶层的那些头目手里有几十亿美元。

The top of the terrorist pyramid, if you accept the numbers that are in the press, the top leaders have billions of dollars.

过去三十年里,大概有四百亿美元流入了 Gaza 和 West Bank,差不多就是这个量级。

$40 billion or so has gone into Gaza and the West Bank over the last 30 years, a number like that.

而其中很大一部分,都消失在腐败、地道,或者武器这些事情里了。

And a lot of it's disappeared into some combination of corruption or tunnels or weapons.

而悲剧在于,你看看 Singapore 过去三十年取得的成就。

And the tragedy is, you look at what Singapore has achieved in the last 30 years.
M1
M1128:44

你觉得如果我们把时间拉到未来十年、二十年、五十年来看,这种事还可能实现吗?

Do you think that's still possible if we look into the future of 10, 20, 50 years from now?
M2
M2128:50

对,绝对可能。

Yeah, absolutely.
M1
M1128:51

所以不只是和平,和平还会带来繁荣。

So not just peace, peace comes with prosperity.
M2
M2128:57

如果人民处在恐怖分子的领导之下,就不会有繁荣,也不会有和平。

If people are under the leadership of terrorists, you're not going to have prosperity and you're not going to have peace.

而且我认为,Israel 在二零零五年撤出了,随后很快 Hamas 就控制了局势。

And I think the Israelis withdrew in 2005 and fairly quickly Hamas took control of the situation.

这本来就绝不该被允许发生。

That should never have been allowed to happen.

我觉得,如果你回头想想,Kissinger 去世前几个月,我有机会跟他聊了大概一个小时。

And I think if you think about, I had the opportunity to spend a call it an hour with Henry Kissinger a few months before he passed away.

当时我们谈的是战争初期的 Gaza。

And we were talking about Gaza in the early stage of the war.

他说,你看,这不是——你可以把 Gaza 看成是对 two-state solution 的一次测试。

He said, look, this is not—you could think about Gaza as a test of a two-state solution.

现在看起来并不乐观。

It's not looking good.

这是他的原话。

These were his words.

所以下一次,Palestinian 人民应该拥有他们自己的国家。

So the next time around, the Palestinian people should have their own state.

但那个国家不能是这样一种国家:四百亿美元的资源流进去,最后却被花在武器、导弹和火箭弹上,然后打进 Israel。

But it can't be a state where $40 billion of resources goes in and is spent on weaponry and missiles and rockets going into Israel.

而且我确实认为,最终必须由 Gulf states、Saudis 和其他国家组成的一个联盟,来监督这个地区的治理。

And I do think a consortium of the Gulf states, the Saudis and others, have to ultimately oversee the governance of this region.

我觉得如果这能实现,那就会有和平,也会有繁荣。

I think if that can happen, I think you can have peace, you can have prosperity.

而且说到底,我是个乐观主义者。

And I'm fundamentally an optimist.
M1
M1130:14

所以,是一种联合治理的模式。

So a coalition of governance.
M2
M2130:17

治理很重要,这也回到了我们刚才谈的那个点。

Governance matters, going back to what we talked about before.
M1
M1130:21

而这种做法可以给当地人民一个繁荣发展的机会。

And that kind of approach can give the people a chance to flourish.
M2
M2130:27

百分之百。

100%.

我的意思是,你看看 Dubai 在沙漠里的游牧民基础上都取得了什么成就,对吧?

I mean, look at what Dubai has accomplished with nomads in the desert, right?

那里已经变成了一个重要的——它是个旅游目的地。

And that's become a major— it's a tourist destination.

Gaza 本来也可以成为一个旅游目的地。

Gaza could have been a tourist destination.
M1
M1130:42

你给我讲讲大学校长们就这个话题出席作证这件事吧,具体说就是校园里的抗议活动,那些呼吁对 Jewish people 进行种族灭绝的抗议,而大学校长们——也许你可以更准确地描述——但总之,他们没有谴责这种种族灭绝的呼吁,对吗?

Take me through the saga of university presidents testifying on this topic, on the topic of protests on college campuses, protests that call for the genocide of Jewish people, and the university presidents, maybe you could describe it more precisely, but they fail to denounce the calls for genocide?
M2
M2131:09

我觉得这大概是从十月八号开始的。

So it begins on October 8th, probably.

你还可以对比一下 Dartmouth 是怎么处理十月七号那天以及后续事件的,再看看 Harvard 是怎么做的。

And you can do a compare and contrast with how Dartmouth managed the events of October 7th and the aftermath and how Harvard did.

在十月八号,或者差不多那之后不久,Dartmouth 的校长——她上任的月数跟 Harvard 校长当时是完全一样的——她做的第一件事,就是把最重要的 Middle East studies 教授们召集起来,这些人里有 Arab,也有 Jews,然后组织了一场面向学生的公开问答,让大家谈谈 Middle East 到底发生了什么,也借此在学生群体中开启一种彼此理解的机会。

And on October 8th or shortly thereafter, the Dartmouth president, who had been in her job for precisely the same number of months that the Harvard president had been in her job, the first thing she did is she got the most important professors of Middle East studies who were Arab and who were Jews and convened them and held an open session Q&A for students to talk about what's going on in the Middle East and began an opportunity for common understanding among the student body.

而 Dartmouth 在这个问题上整体算是一个相对平和的环境,学生还能正常做学业,也没有那种破坏性的抗议,没有人拿着扩音喇叭走进教室干扰——要知道,现在大家一年要花八万二千美元去 Harvard,上学这件事本身就已经够离谱了。

And Dartmouth has been a relatively benign environment on this issue, and students are able to do work, and there aren't disruptive protests with people with bullhorns walking into classrooms interfering with— People pay today $82,000 a year, which itself is crazy, to go to Harvard.

但你想想看,如果你的家庭是借钱供你上学,或者你作为学生自己借了钱,结果你的学习却被没完没了的抗议打断,而学校什么都不做。

But imagine your family borrows the money or you borrow the money as a student and your learning is disrupted by constant protest and the university does nothing.

George Floyd 去世的时候,Harvard 校长写了一封措辞非常强烈的信,谴责所发生的一切,说这是 American history 里的一个重要时刻,而且她是极其严肃对待这件事的。

When George Floyd died, the Harvard president wrote a very strong letter denouncing what had taken place and calling this an important moment in American history and took it incredibly seriously.

但她关于十月七号的第一封信,可不是那个样子。

Her first letter about October 7th was not that.

我们就这么说吧。

Let's put it that way.

然后她的第二封信也不是那样。

And then her second letter was not that.

再后来,说到底,她有点像是在董事会或者外部压力之下,被迫做出一个更公开的表态。

And then ultimately, she was sort of forced by the board or the pressure to make a more public statement.

但很明显,她很难真正理解这起恐怖主义行为。

But it was clear that it was hard for her to come to an understanding of this terrorist act.

然后校园里就爆发了抗议,一开始还算比较平和。

And then the protests erupted on campus and they started out reasonably benign.

但之后,抗议者越来越激进,开始在 bullying 之类的问题上违反学校规定。

And then the protesters got more and more aggressive in terms of violating university rules on things like bullying.

而学校什么都没做。

And the university did nothing.

这显然给 Jewish 学生、Israeli 学生、Israeli 教职员工,还有 Jewish 教职员工,造成了一个极其不舒服的环境。

And that obviously for the Jewish students, the Israeli students, the Israeli faculty, Jewish faculty, created an incredibly uncomfortable environment.

而校长看起来却无动于衷。

And the president seemed indifferent.

后来我去了校园,跟几百名学生见了面,有的是小组,有的是大组,他们都在说,Bill,为什么校长什么都不做?

And I went up to campus and I met with hundreds of students in small groups and larger groups, and they're like, Bill, why is the president doing nothing?

为什么学校管理层什么都不做?

Why is the administration doing nothing?

而那其实才是真正的开始。

And that was really the beginning.

然后我联系了校长,也联系了 Harvard 的董事会。

And then I reached out to the president, reached out to the board of Harvard.

我说,你看,这件事正在朝错误的方向发展,你们得把它纠正过来。

I said, look, this thing is headed in the wrong direction and you need to fix it.

我也有一些想法,很愿意分享。

And I have some ideas, love to share.

结果我吃了闭门羹,就像他们说的那样。

And I got the Heisman, as they say.

他们就是一再往后拖,不给我安排跟校长见面,也不给我安排跟董事会见面。

They just kept pushing off the opportunity for me to meet with the president and meet with the board.

到了某个时候,我就开始施压了。

And at a certain point in time, I pushed.

别人一逼我,我这人就会变得挺 activist 的。

I'm kind of an activist when you push me.

这让我想起我早年做 activist 的时候,那时候我根本没法让 Wendy's 的 CEO 给我回电话。

It reminded me of early days of activism where I couldn't get the CEO of Wendy's to return my call.

现在则是我没法让 Harvard 的 CEO 跟我见一面。

I couldn't get the CEO of Harvard to take a meeting.

最后我终于跟董事会主席通上了话,她叫 Penny Pritzker,我之前因为和她一起在一个 business school board 里共事,所以认识她。

And then finally I spoke to the chairman of the board, a woman by the name of Penny Pritzker, who I knew from being on a business school board with her.

而那次谈话,就像我说的,是我这辈子最让人失望的谈话之一。

And it was, as I described, one of the more disappointing conversations of my life.

而且感觉她——怎么说呢——有点像只愣在车灯前的鹿,不知所措。

And it did not seem—she seemed a bit like, if you will, deer in the headlights.

他们这个也做不了,那个也做不了。

They couldn't do this, they couldn't do that.

法律让他们很多事情都没法做。

The law was preventing them from doing various things.

这就导致我给学校写了第一封信。

And that led to my first letter to the university.

我在信的结尾,大概算是给 Harvard 校长来了一段“勇敢去成就大事”的讲话。

And I sort of ended the letter, you know, sort of giving this president of Harvard a dare-to-be-great speech.

这是你的机会。

This is your opportunity.

你知道,你是可以把这件事解决掉的。

You know, you can fix this.

这可能会成为你的历史遗产。

This could be your legacy.

然后我就把信发出去了。

And I sent it.

我把邮件发给了校长,还有我手上有邮箱地址的那些董事会成员。

I emailed it to the president and the board members whose email addresses I had.

我还把它发到了 Twitter 上,结果没有任何回应,没有任何确认,什么都没有。

I posted it on Twitter and I got no response, no acknowledgement, nothing.

事实上,我之前和董事会里几个人之间原本还算公开的对话,基本上从那之后也被切断了。

And in fact, the open dialogue I had with a couple of people on the board basically got shut down after that.

于是就有了第二封信。

And that led to letter number two.

后来 Congress 在 Elise Stefanik 的主导下,宣布要调查校园里的反犹主义,以及对违法行为的担忧。

And then when the Congress, led by Elise Stefanik, announced an investigation of antisemitism on campus and concern about violations of law.

校长被叫去作证,另外还有两位一起,一个是 MIT 的校长,一个是 University of Pennsylvania 的校长,她们各自校园里也有类似的问题。

The president was called to testify along with two others, the president of MIT, the president of the University of Pennsylvania, who were having similar issues on campus.

我联系了 Harvard 的校长,说,第一,Israeli government 联系过我,提出让我去看那段 Hamas 的 GoPro 影片。

I reached out to the president of Harvard and said, well, one, the Israeli government had gotten in touch and offered the opportunity for me to see the Hamas, if you will, GoPro film.

我就说,你知道吗?

And I said, you know what?

我很想在 Harvard 放映这个。

I'd love to show it at Harvard.

他们觉得这会是个很好的主意。

And they thought that would be a great idea.

所以我就和 Harvard Chabad 的负责人合作了,他叫 Rabbi Hershey。

And so I partnered with the head of Harvard Chabad, a guy named Rabbi Hershey.

我们当时正准备把这部片子带到校园里放映,我就想,如果校长能看到这个,会让她对到底发生了什么有更多视角,而且她应该在作证之前先看看。

And we were putting the film up on campus and I thought, if the president were to see this, it would give her a lot of perspective on what happened and she should see it before her testimony.

所以我就联系了她,或者更准确地说,是 Rabbi Hershey 联系了她,得到的回复是她那时候不在城里,看不了。

And so I reached out to her, or actually Rabbi Hershey did, and he was told she'd be out of town and couldn't see it.

然后我又联系了她一次,说,你看,我可以帮你安排去 Congress 的行程。

And then I reached out to her again, said, look, I'll facilitate your attendance in the Congress.

来看看这部片子吧。

Come see the film.

我可以坐飞机带你过去。

I'll fly you down.

这个提议被拒绝了。

That was rejected.

然后她就去作证了。

And then she testified.

我看了三位校长作证内容里很大一部分,大概百分之八十。

And I watched a good percentage, 80% of the testimony of all 3 presidents.

那对这个国家来说是个耻辱,对这些大学来说也是个耻辱。

And it was an embarrassment to the country, embarrassment to the universities.
M1
M1136:53

对。

Yeah.
M2
M2136:54

她们一直在回避。

They were evasive.

他们没有回答问题。

They didn't answer questions.

他们很没礼貌。

They were rude.

他们还在那儿冷笑。

They smirked.

他们看起来对我们的国会非常不尊重。

They looked very disrespectful to our Congress.

然后当然还有那几分钟,Stefanik 到最后至少还是一直没从他们那儿得到她问题的答案。

And then of course there was that several minutes where finally at least Stefanik was not getting answers to her questions.

然后她说,我得把话说清楚一点。

And she said, let me be kind of clear.

如果抗议者在呼吁对犹太人进行种族灭绝呢?

What if protesters are calling for genocide of the Jews?

这算不算违反你们关于霸凌和骚扰的规定?

Does that violate your rules on bullying and harassment?

结果他们三个人基本上给了同样的回答。

And the 3 of them basically gave the same answer.

要看具体语境。

It depends on the context.

而且要等到他们真的把种族灭绝付诸实施,大学才有权介入。

And not until they actually executed on the genocide does the university have the right to intervene.

而也许最让我不舒服的一点,就是那种惊人的虚伪。

And the thing that perhaps bothered me the most was the incredible hypocrisy.

Harvard——这些大学都会被一个叫 FIRE 的机构排名,这是个专注于校园言论自由的非营利组织。

Harvard was— each of these universities are ranked by this entity called FIRE, which is a nonprofit that focuses on free speech on campus.

Harvard 过去五年一直都在倒数四分之一,而且在十月七号之前,在大概两百五十所学校里已经掉到了最后一名。

And Harvard has been in the bottom quartile for the last 5 years and dropped to last before October 7th out of like 250.
M1
M1137:55

我顺便提一句,我在这个播客里采访过 FIRE 的创始人,还有现在 FIRE 的负责人。

I should mention briefly that I've interviewed on this podcast the founder of FIRE and the current head of FIRE.

我们很深入地讨论过这个话题,包括竞选 Harvard 董事会,以及整套相关流程。

We discussed this at length, including running for the board of Harvard and the whole procedure of all that.

这对言论自由来说,是一场非常引人入胜的探究。

It's quite a fascinating investigation of free speech.

如果有人很在乎绝对言论自由,这一期很值得听,因为这些人某种程度上就是在为这个理念而战。

For people who care about free speech absolutism, that's a good episode to listen to because those folks kind of fight for this idea.

其实这也是个很难真正内化的理念。

It's a difficult idea actually to internalize.

大学校园里的言论自由,到底应该是什么样子?

What does free speech on college campuses look like?
M2
M2138:25

Harvard 已经变成了一个校园里不容忍言论自由的地方,或者至少,不容忍那些不属于所谓被接受的话语范围内的言论,也就是这整套 speech codes 之下不被允许的言论。

Harvard has become a place where free speech is not tolerated on campus, or at least free speech that's not part of the accepted dialogue or this whole notion of speech codes.

而 microaggressions 这个概念,确实是在那些精英高校里冒出来的,像 Harvard、Yale 这样的校园。

And microaggressions really emerged on the elite, the Harvard, Yale campuses of the world.

而 Harvard 当时那位校长对为什么校园里可以呼吁对犹太人进行种族灭绝的解释,竟然是 Harvard 对自由表达的承诺。

And the president of Harvard's— then president of Harvard's explanation for why you could call for the genocide of the Jewish people on campus was Harvard's commitment to free expression.

这可以说是有史以来最虚伪的说法之一了。

And one of the more hypocritical statements of all time.

你真的不可能两头都占。

And you really can't have it both ways.

要么 Harvard 就必须真的是一个言论自由的地方——她基本上就是在说,我们这里是绝对言论自由,所以我们必须允许这个。

Either Harvard has to be a place where it's a free speech— she basically said, we're a free speech absolutist place, which is why we have to allow this.

可 Harvard 跟这一点差得太远了。

And Harvard could not be further from that.

所以这也是其中很大的一部分原因。

And so that was a big part of it.

当时我正坐在理发椅上理发。

And I was in the barber chair, if you will, getting a haircut.

然后我团队里有个人把那段三分钟的视频发给了我。

And I had a guy on my team send me the 3-minute section.

我说,别再沿着那条线问下去了。

I said, cut that line of questioning.

然后我为这事发了一条小 tweet,我把它叫作我那些帖子里的巅峰之作。

And I put out a little tweet on that and I call it my greatest hits of posts.

它大概有一亿一千万次浏览。

It's got something like 110 million views.

大家看了这个都在说,大学校园到底出了什么问题,顺便说一句,它们的领导层和治理又是怎么回事?

And everyone looked at this and said, what is wrong with university campuses and their leadership and their governance, by the way?

某种意义上说,我们整段对话其实一直都在谈治理。

In a way, this whole conversation's been about governance.

Harvard 的治理结构非常糟糕,这也是为什么我们会有现在这个问题。

Harvard has a disastrous governance structure, which is why we have the problem we have.
M1
M1139:54

回到那次听证会,你提到了那些窃笑啊之类的,还有你说的 dare to be great。

And just to linger on the testimony, you mentioned smirks and this kind of stuff, and you mentioned dare to be great.

我自己其实特别容易被伟大的领导力和那种时刻打动,你提到 Churchill 之类的,甚至伟大的演讲也是。

I myself am kind of a sucker for great leadership and those moments, you mentioned Churchill or so on, even great speeches.

很多人会看低演讲,觉得那可能就只是一些话而已,但我认为演讲能定义一种文化,定义一个地方,定义一群人,它们能鼓舞人心。

People talk down on speeches like it's maybe just words, but I think speeches can define a culture and define a place, define a people, they can inspire.

而且我觉得,实际上,那次在 Congress 面前的作证本来可以成为一个重新定义 Harvard 是什么的机会,敢于成就伟大,敢于成为伟大的领导者。

And I think actually the testimony before Congress could have been an opportunity to redefine what Harvard is, dare to be great, dare to be a great leader.
M2
M2140:37

Harvard 的校长当时其实有一个巨大的机会,因为她是第三个发言的。

The president of Harvard had a huge opportunity because she went third.

前面两位对那个问题给出了全世界最糟糕的回答,而她居然照着她们的答案原样复制了一遍。考虑到最后发生的事,这本身还有点讽刺。

The first 2 gave the world's most disastrous answers to the question, and she literally just copied their answer, which is itself kind of ironic in light of ultimately what happened.
M1
M1140:53

这也挺难的,因为你作为校长、作为领导者之类的人,事情会很多,很忙。

It's tough because you can get busy as a president, as a leader, and so on.

有各种会议,所以你会觉得,到了 Congress,也许你是在对这个会议本身的荒唐感到好笑。

There's these meetings, so you think Congress, maybe you're smirking at the ridiculousness of the meeting.

但你得记住,这里面很多时刻,都是你发表一生中重要演讲的机会。

You need to remember that many of these are opportunities to give a speech of a lifetime.
M2
M2141:13

对。

Sure.
M1
M1141:13

比如说,如果你希望一个机构在未来几十年变成什么样、体现什么原则,那这些就是你去做到这一点的机会。

Like, that if there's principles which you want to see an institution become and embody in the next several decades, there's opportunities to do that.

而且你作为一个伟大的领导者,也需要有那种判断力,知道什么时候就是那个机会。

And you, as a great leader, also need to have a sense of when is the opportunity to do that.

说实话,十月七号那天,真的让全世界各方都惊醒了。

And October 7th really woke up the world on all sides, honestly.

就像是在说,这里真的有很严重的问题正在发生。

Like, there is serious issue going on here.

然后那些抗议活动又让大学也意识到,这里真的有很严重的问题正在发生。

And then the protests woke up the university to there's a serious issue going on here.

这是一个发声的机会。

It's an opportunity to speak.

关于言论自由,也关于 genocide,这两方面都是。

On free speech and on genocide, both.
M2
M2141:52

对。

Yes.
M1
M1141:53

你怎么看这样一种批评:说你是个 billionaire donor,然后你某种程度上动用了自己的权力和财务影响力,不公平地去影响了 Harvard 的治理结构,在这件事上?

Do you see the criticism that you are a billionaire donor and you sort of used your power and financial influence unfairly to affect the governing structure of Harvard in this case?
M2
M2142:07

首先,我从来没有威胁过要动用财务资源或其他资源。

First of all, I never threatened to use financial or other resources.

我在这里做的唯一一件事,就是写。

The only thing I did here was write.

我写了公开信。

I wrote public letters.

我私下里和董事会的几位成员谈过。

I spoke privately to a couple members of the board.

我和董事长谈了四十五分钟。

I spoke for 45 minutes to the chairman.

据我所知,那些谈话没有一次真正起作用,也都没有什么结果。

None of those conversations were effective or went anywhere as far as I could tell.

我觉得我发的那些公开信,还有后来我发的一些帖子——

I think my public letters and then some of the posts I did—
M1
M1142:27

Tweets,对。

Tweets, yeah.
M2
M2142:28

还有那个三分钟的小视频片段,确实有一些影响,但重点不在于——我是说,你当然可以批评我是个 billionaire,但真正起作用的其实是那些话本身。

And that little 3-minute video excerpt had an impact, but it wasn't about— I mean, you can criticize me for being a billionaire, but it was really the words.

这有点像——还是回到公司治理那个类比——并不是因为你持有公司百分之五的股份,人们才投票支持你。

It's a bit like, again, going back to the corporate analogy, it's not the fact that you own 5% of the company that causes people to vote in your favor.

而是因为你的观点是对的。

It's the fact that your ideas are right.

我想,在国会听证之后,我挺失望的,因为 Harvard 的董事会说,他们百分之百支持 President Gay,而且是一致、百分之百支持。

And I think I was disappointed after the congressional testimony, the board of Harvard said that they were 100% behind, unanimously 100% behind President Gay.

所以很显然,我当时并没有起到作用。

And so clearly I was ineffective.

最终真正让她下台的,是另外一些——我会说是 activists——他们找出了她在 academic integrity 方面的问题。

And ultimately what took her down was other, I would say, activists who identified issues with academic integrity.

然后她也失去了 faculty 的信任。

And then she lost the confidence of the faculty.

一旦到了那一步,就很难继续待下去了。

And once that happens, it's hard to stay.

我当时基本上是希望她被解雇,或者被迫辞职,因为这是领导力上的失职;因为那样会传递出一个关于领导力重要性的信号。

And I wanted her to be fired basically, or be forced to resign because of failures of leadership, because that would've sent a message about the importance of leadership.

没能阻止校园里 antisemitism 的抬头。

Failure to stop an emergence of antisemitism on campus.

而且今天还有一些新闻,说抗议活动正在变得更糟。

And there's some news today, the protests are getting worse.
M1
M1143:36

大学校园里的 free speech,和因为学生发出 genocide 呼吁而去处分他们,这两者之间是不是有某种张力?

Is there some tension between free speech on college campuses and disciplining students for calls of genocide?
M2
M2143:42

对,当然是有这种张力的。

Yes, there's certainly a tension.

我觉得,首先,free speech 极其重要,而且在这个问题上,我的立场更接近 free speech 的绝对主义,而不是别的立场。

And I think, first of all, I think free speech is incredibly important and I'm on the side, I'm a lot closer to absolutism on free speech than otherwise.

我当时真正介意的问题,是他们的虚伪。

The issue I had was the hypocrisy.

他们在校园里限制过别的类型的言论,主要是 conservative speech、conservative views,所以那并不是一个 free speech absolutist 的校园;而且那些抗议实际上也确实让学生感到相当有威胁。

They were restricting other kinds of speech on campus, principally conservative speech, conservative views, so it wasn't a free speech absolutist campus, and the protests were actually quite threatening to students.

就算是绝对主义的 free speech,也还是有边界的;边界就是当人们感受到恐吓、骚扰,以及人身伤害威胁的时候,等等。

And there are limits to even absolutist free speech, and they begin where people feel intimidation, harassment, and threat to bodily harm, et cetera.

这种言论通常——当然,这里面技术性挺强的——但如果人们因为这些抗议而觉得自己正面临迫在眉睫的伤害,那这些言论就有可能达不到 free speech 的标准。

That kind of speech is generally— and again, it's pretty technical, but as people feel like they're in imminent harm by virtue of the protest, that speech is at risk of not meeting the standards for free speech.

但 Harvard 是一家 private corporation。

But Harvard is a private corporation.

既然是 private corporation,他们想设什么限制都可以设。

And as a private corporation, they can put on what restrictions they want.

而且就在那之前几个月,Harvard 还刚刚推出了关于 bullying 和 harassment 的政策。

And Harvard had introduced only a few months before bullying and harassment policies.

所以 Representative Stefanik 当时抓住的点就在这里——她并不是问,这算不算违反你们的 free speech policy,去呼吁对 Jews 实施 genocide?

And that's why Representative Stefanik focused on, does this— it's not like she said, does calling for genocide against the Jews violate your free speech policy?

她问的是,呼吁对 Jews 实施 genocide,是否违反你们关于 bullying 和 harassment 的政策?

She says, does calling for genocide against the Jews violate your policies on bullying and harassment?

我觉得当大家听到他们回答“要看具体语境”的时候,都看明白了。

And I think everyone looked at this when they said, it depends on the context.

他们说,你看,如果把 Jews 换成别的族群,比如说,用过 N-word 的学生,就曾经被赶出校园或者被停学。

And they said, look, if you replace Jews with some other ethnic group, students who've used the N-word, for example, have been thrown off campus or suspended.

还有那些——针对 LGBTQ 人群发表 hate speech 的学生,也受到了纪律处分。

Students who've— hate speech directed at LGBTQ people has led to disciplinary action.

但是,攻击 Jewish 学生、朝他们吐口水,或者有点动手推搡他们——或者公开呼吁消灭他们——看起来却并没有违反这些政策。

But attacking, spitting on Jewish students or kind of roughing them up a bit seems like— or calling for their elimination, didn't seem to violate the policies.

所以——你看,我觉得大学应该是一个能容纳广泛观点、开放视角和充分讨论的地方,但它也应该是一个让学生去上课时不会感到受威胁的地方,一个他们的学习不会被打断的地方,不会在期末考试的时候被那些冲进来大声抗议的人打断。

So it's— look, I think a university should be a place where you have broad views and open viewpoints and broad discussion, but it should also be a place where students don't feel threatened going to class, where their learning is not interrupted, when final exams are not interrupted by people coming in with loud protests.

我去那边的时候,学生问我,如果你是 Harvard 的校长,你会怎么做?

Students asked me when I went up there, what would you do if you were Harvard president?

我说,而且这是在我还不知道 Dartmouth 校园里发生了什么之前。

I said, and this was before I knew what was happening on the Dartmouth campus.

我说,我会把大家都召集到一起。

I said, I'd convene everyone together.

这可是 Harvard。

This is Harvard.

我们能接触到全世界最顶尖的头脑。

We have access to the best minds in the world.

我们应该更好地了解这段历史。

Let's have a better understanding of the history.

我们要理解背后的大背景。

Let's understand the backdrop.

我们要把重点放在解决方案上。

Let's focus on solutions.

我们要把 Arab、Jewish 和 Israeli 学生聚到一起。

Let's bring Arab and Jewish and Israeli students together.

我们要成立一些小组来建立沟通。

Let's form groups to create communication.

这才是解决这类问题的方式。

That's how you solve this kind of problem.

而这些事情一件都没做。

And none of that stuff has been done.

这其实没那么难。

It's not that hard.
M1
M1146:17

你觉得这是不是暴露出了一个更深层的问题?

Do you think this reveals a deeper problem?

从意识形态和 Harvard 的治理来说,也许还有 Harvard 的文化?

In terms of ideology and the governance of Harvard, maybe the culture of Harvard?
M2
M2146:30

对。

Yes.

先说治理,Harvard 的治理结构就是一场灾难。

So on governance, the governance structure is a disaster.

现在的运作方式是,Harvard 有两个主要董事会。

So the way it works today is Harvard has 2 principal boards.

一个是 corporation board,也就是所谓的 Harvard Fellows。

There's the board of the corporation, the so-called Fellows of Harvard.

我记得那是一个由十二名独立董事再加上校长组成的董事会。

It's a board of, I think, 12 independent directors and the president.

没有股东投票。

There's no shareholder vote.

也没有 proxy system。

There's no proxy system.

这实际上就是一个自我延续的董事会,自己选——准确地说,基本上是自己选自己的成员。

It's really a self-perpetuating board that elects its— effectively elects its own members.

所以一旦它——一旦它在政治上朝某一个方向失衡了,他们就可以——这种状态可以永远维持下去。

So there's— once it becomes— once the balance tips politically one way or another, they can— it can be kept that way forever.

没有任何重新平衡的机制。

There's no kind of rebalancing system.

如果一家美国公司偏离正轨了,换句话说,股东可以联合起来,把董事投票赶下台。

If a US corporation goes off the rails, so to speak, the shareholders can get together and vote off the directors.

但这里根本没有办法把董事投票赶下台。

There's no ability to vote off the directors.

然后还有 Board of Overseers,我记得是三十二名董事。

Then there's the Board of Overseers, which is I think 32 directors.

而且那边,几年前,如果你能凑齐六百个签名,你就可以竞选那个董事会,推出一批候选人,而每年大概会选出五六个人。

And there, a few years ago, if you could put together 600 signatures, you could run for that board and put up a bunch of candidates, and about 5 or 6 get elected each year.

还真有一个团体这么干了,是一个主张从 oil and gas 相关投资里撤资的团体。

And a group did exactly that, and it was an oil and gas kind of divestment group.

他们拿到了签名,其中有几个人还被选上了,然后 Harvard 就改了规则。

They got the signatures, a couple of them got elected, and Harvard then changed the rules.

他们说,现在我们需要三千二百个签名。

And they said, now we need 3,200 signatures.

还有,顺便说一句,如果董事会里有这种持不同意见的董事,我们最多只允许——把人数上限卡在五个。

And by the way, if there are these dissident directors on the board, we're only going to allow— we're going to cap them at 5.

所以如果在 oil and gas 那次里已经选出了三个,那现在就只剩两个席位了。

So if 3 were elected in the oil and gas thing, now there are only 2 seats available.

后来有一群以前的学生,算是比较年轻的校友,其中有一个我认识,来找我说,你看,Bill,我们应该去竞选董事会席位。

And then a group of former students, kind of younger alums, one of whom I knew, approached me and said, look, Bill, we should run for the board.

他们做这个决定其实挺晚的,离签名截止只剩下几周了,他们说我们很希望得到你的支持。

And they decided this pretty late, only a few weeks before the signatures were due, and we'd love your support.

我看了看他们的平台。

I took a look at their platform.

我觉得看起来很不错。

I thought it looked great.

我就说,你看,我很乐意支持。

I said, look, happy to support.

然后我发帖支持他们,还跟他们一起做了一场 Zoom,结果他们拿到了几千个签名。

And I posted about them, did a Zoom with them, and they got thousands of signatures.

他们四个人加在一起,总共拿到了大概一万二千个签名之类的。

Collectively, the 4 got whatever, 12,000 signatures or something like this.

但离那个门槛还是差了大概百分之十。

And they missed by about 10% the threshold.

那 Harvard 在选举进行到一半的时候做了什么?

And what did Harvard do in the middle of the election?

他们把登记投票这件事弄得非常、非常困难。

They made it very, very difficult to sign up for a vote.

这就只会让他们显得特别糟糕。

And it just makes them look terrible.

而且现在他们惹得成千上万的校友都很不满,因为——再说一遍,这还不是正式选举。

And they've got now thousands of alums upset that— and again, this wasn't an election.

这只是为了把名字放进候选名单里。

This was just to put the names on the slate.

所以候选名单上的人,只有现有成员挑出来的那些人。

So the only candidates on the slate are the ones selected by the existing members.

企业会失败,是因为治理失败。

And so businesses fail because of governance failures.

大学会失败,也是因为治理失败。

Universities fail because of governance failures.

这其实不完全是校长的责任,因为董事会的职责就是聘用和解聘校长。

It's not really the president's fault because the job of the board is to hire and fire the president.

还要在学术和其他方面帮助引导这所机构。

And help guide the institution academically and otherwise.

所以这就是治理。

So that's governance.

至于一种意识形态,我当时就想,这怎么会这样?

An ideology, I was like, how can this be?

十月七号之后,真正把我惊醒的一件事是,三十个学生组织在十月八号发出了一封公开信, literally 就是在这封信写出来后的第二天早上,他们说 Israel 要对 Hamas 的暴力行为负全部责任。

October 7th, the event that woke me up was 30 student organizations came out with a public letter on October 8th, literally the morning after this letter was created, and said Israel is solely responsible for Hamas's violent acts.

再说一次,那时候 Israel 甚至都还没有展开反击,而且在 Israel 南部还有恐怖分子在四处活动。

Again, Israel had not even mounted a defense at this point, and there were still terrorists running around in the southern part of Israel.

我当时就想,Harvard 的学生?

And I'm like, Harvard students?

三十四个 Harvard 学生组织签了这封信?

34 Harvard student organizations signed this letter?

我就想,这到底是怎么回事?

And I'm like, what is going on?

这他妈什么情况,对吧?

WTF, right?

然后我就去了校园里,开始跟教职员工聊。

And that's when I went up on campus and I started talking to the faculty.

也就是在那时候,我开始听到他们说,实际上,Bill,问题在于这个 DEI 意识形态。

And that's where I started hearing about, actually, Bill, it's this DEI ideology.

我当时就想,啊?

I'm like, what?

好吧。

Okay.

DEI,就是 diversity、equity、inclusion。

DEI, diversity, equity, inclusion.

这些词我当然都熟,我也在企业语境里见过这个说法。

Obviously, I'm familiar with these words and I see this in the corporate context.

他们就说,对。

And they say, yeah.

然后他们开始跟我讲这种“压迫者—被压迫者”的框架,这东西实际上在校园里被教授,而且是很多课程、一些研究项目和其他学位设置背后的底层逻辑。

And they started talking to me about this oppressor-oppressed framework, which is effectively taught on campus and represents the backdrop for many of the courses that are offered and some of the studies and other degree offerings.

我就想,我之前压根没听说过这个。

And I'm like, I had not even heard of this.

我算是挺关注这些事的人了,但我之前完全不知道。

And I'm a pretty aware person, but I was completely unaware.

他们基本上就是说,你看,Israel 被认定为压迫者,Palestinians 被认定为被压迫者,而你就得站在被压迫者这一边,所以被压迫者为了撼动压迫者所采取的任何行为,不管多恶劣、多野蛮,都是可以接受的。

And basically they're like, look, Israel is deemed an oppressor and the Palestinians are deemed the oppressed, and you take the side of the oppressed and any acts of the oppressed to dislodge the oppressor, regardless of how vile or barbaric, are okay.

我就想,好吧,这是一种超级危险的意识形态。

I'm like, okay, this is a super dangerous ideology.

所以我就写了一篇带着质疑的帖子。

And so I wrote a questioning post about this.

我就说,这就是我听到的说法。

I'm like, here's what I'm hearing.

这是真的吗?

Is this right?

后来有个人,我一个朋友,给我寄来了 Christopher Rufo 的书,America's Cultural Revolution。这本书有点像是对 DEI 运动和 critical race theory 起源的一项社会学研究。

Then I had someone, a friend of mine, send me Christopher Rufo's book, America's Cultural Revolution, which is sort of a sociological study of the origins of the DEI movement and critical race theory.

我觉得这其实是我读过的更重要的书之一。

And I found it actually one of the more important books I've read.

同时我也觉得它相当令人担忧。

Also found it quite concerning.

而且说到底,DEI 某种程度上是出自一种 Marxist-socialist 的背景,一种看世界的方式。

And really, it's sort of a— ultimately DEI comes out of a kind of a Marxist-socialist backdrop, a way to look at the world.

所以我觉得这里面有很多问题,但很遗憾,我最后得出的结论是,它实际上是在推进 racism,而不是在对抗 racism——而我原本以为它最终就是为了这个。

And so I think there are a lot of issues with it, but unfortunately it's advancing, I ultimately concluded, racism as opposed to fighting it, which is what I thought it was ultimately about.
M1
M1151:45

所以也许你可以稍微讲讲那本书。

So maybe you can speak to that book a little bit.

这里面有一段可以追溯几十年的历史,后来又渗透进了大学校园。

So there's a history that traces back across decades and then that infiltrated college campuses.
M2
M2151:55

Rufo 基本上的观点是,六十年代的 Black Power 运动其实是失败了。

So basically what Rufo argues is that the Black Power movement of the '60s really failed.

那是一个非常暴力的运动,很多核心人物最后都进了监狱。

It was a very violent movement and many of the protagonists ended up in jail.

而从那个运动里,出现了一些算是思想领袖的人物——有个叫 Marcuse 的人,还有其他一些人——他们搭建了这样一套框架,一种路径。

And out of that movement, a number of kind of thought leaders—this guy named Marcuse and others—built this framework, kind of an approach.

他们说,你看,如果我们想成功,第一,这不能是一个暴力运动。

Said, look, if we're going to be successful, it can't be a violent movement, number one.

第二,我们得去渗透——如果你愿意这么说的话——大学。

And number two, we need to infiltrate, if you will, the universities.

我们得成为教师队伍的一部分,我们得去教育学生。

And we need to become part of the faculty and we need to teach the students.

然后一旦我们用这种意识形态接管了大学,我们就可以进入政府。

And then once we take over the universities with this ideology, then we can go into government.

然后我们就可以进入公司,去改变这个世界。

And then we can go into corporations and we can change the world.

所以我当时觉得,这是本很重要的书。

So I thought, important book.

而且我越往下深挖,就越觉得这件事是有可信度的,不只是那种社会学层面的背景,也包括它在校园里到底意味着什么。

And the more I dug in, the more I felt there was credibility to this, not just the kind of sociological backdrop, but to what it meant on campus.

还有 Harvard 的教师也跟我说,校园里其实根本不存在所谓的言论自由。

And faculty, Harvard faculty, were telling me that there really is no such thing as free speech on campus.

他们还说,大概一年前左右,Harvard 的教师做过一次调查,结果只有百分之二的教师承认——哪怕是在匿名调查里——自己持有保守派观点。

And that there was a survey done, I don't know, a year or so ago, of the Harvard faculty, and only 2% of the faculty admitted, even in an anonymous survey, admitted to having a conservative point of view.

所以,我们面对的是一个百分之九十八都不是保守派的校园,都是 liberal、progressive,而且还采纳了这套 DEI 框架。

So we have a campus that's 98% non-conservative, liberal, progressive, that's adopted this DEI construct.

后来我又从 Harvard 校长遴选委员会的一位成员那里了解到,他们在筛选候选人时是受限制的,只能看那些符合 DEI office 标准的人。

And then I learned from a member of the search committee for the Harvard president that they were restricted in looking at candidates, only those who met the DEI office's criteria.

我把这件事发在我的一篇帖子里,结果就被指责成种族主义者。

And I shared this in one of my postings and I was accused of being a racist.

可我是那种一直相信 diversity 对组织非常有好处,也认为 equity 和 fairness 真的很重要,而且包容性的文化对一个组织正常运转至关重要的人。

And that's someone who believes that diversity is a very good thing for organizations and that equity and fairness is really important and having an inclusive culture is critical for functioning of an organization.

所以我当时的状态其实是,好吧,DEI 听起来对我挺有道理的,至少如果是那个小写的 d、小写的 e、小写的 i 的版本的话;但这套 DEI ideology 真的问题很大。

So here I was, someone who was like, okay, DEI sounds good to me, at least in the small-d, small-e, small-i version of events, but this DEI ideology is really problematic.
M1
M1154:10

所以,未来这几年,解决这个问题的办法是什么?

So what's the way to fix this in the next few years?

就是这种大写版 DEI 对大学的渗透,以及那些让你感到困扰的事,你在 Harvard 和其他地方看到的那些问题?

The infiltration of DEI with the uppercase version of universities and the things that have troubled you, the things you saw at Harvard and elsewhere?
M2
M2154:28

就像这件事让我大开眼界一样,它也让非常广泛的很多其他人看清了问题。

In the same way this was an eye-opening event for me, it has been for a very broad range of other people.

我以前从来没收到过——我提到过 General Growth。

I've never gotten—I mentioned General Growth.

我当然收到过很多人写来的好信,因为我在一只涨了 一百 倍的股票上帮大家赚到了钱。

I got a lot of nice letters from people for making money on a stock that went up 100 times.

但我现在真的是每天收到几百封 email、来信、短信,还有手写信、打印信,来自二十五岁到八十五岁的人,他们都在说,Bill,这件事太重要了。

But I literally get hundreds of emails, letters, texts, handwritten letters, typed letters from people from the ages of 25 to 85 saying, Bill, this is so important.

谢谢你愿意站出来谈这个。

Thanks for speaking out on this.

你说出了我们很多人心里相信、但一直不敢说的话。

You were saying what so many of us believe but have been afraid to say.

我把它形容成一种几乎带有 McCarthyism 味道的运动,也就是说,只要你质疑这套 DEI 框架,别人就会指控你是种族主义者。

I described it as almost a McCarthy-esque kind of movement, and that if you challenge the DEI construct, people accuse you of being a racist.

这事已经发生在我身上了。

It's happened to me already.

我可能还没那么脆弱,不像大学教授那样,可能会被人在校园里围攻、被 cancel。

I'm perhaps much less vulnerable than a university professor who can get shouted off campus, canceled.

我这种人算是比较难被 cancel 的,但这不代表别人不会尝试。

I'm sort of difficult to cancel, but that doesn't mean people aren't going to try.

而且就在过去这几天,我已经成了几篇挺有意思的文章的攻击对象,或者至少有一篇特别典型,是 The Washington Post 上一位我原本以为是出于善意的记者写的。

And I've been the victim of a couple of interesting articles in the last few days, or at least one in particular in The Washington Post written by what I thought was a well-meaning reporter.

但现在很明显,我已经碰上了至少 progressive establishment 里的几个大块头,尤其是 DEI。

But it's just clear that I've taken on some big parts of at least the progressive establishment, DEI.

我还认为,Biden 其实早就应该退下来,而且现在情况只会越来越糟。

I'm also a believer that Biden should have stepped aside a long time ago and it's only getting worse.

所以等于说,我也在抨击这位总统。

So I'm attacking the president.

DEI、精英大学——你去碰这些东西,就会树敌。

DEI, elite universities, and you make some enemies doing that.
M1
M1155:59

不过我得说一句,我现在还在 MIT,我也热爱 MIT,而且我相信优秀大学的力量,相信它们能探索思想、激励年轻人去思考,也激励年轻人去领导。

But I should say, I'm still at MIT and I love MIT and I believe in the power of great universities to explore ideas, to inspire young people to think, to inspire young people to lead.
M2
M2156:16

那我想问一句,好,你如果只被展示某一种观点,又怎么去探索该如何思考呢?

Let me ask, okay, how can you explore how to think when you're only shown a certain point of view?

当一个机构本身的治理和领导都出了问题时,你又怎么能从中学到领导力呢?

How can you learn about leadership when the governance and leadership of the institution is broken?

而且接触各种思想这件事,如果你能接触到的思想本身就被限制了呢?

And exposure to ideas, if you're limited in the ideas that you're exposed to?

所以我觉得,大学现在是有风险的。

So I think university is at risk.

我的意思是,令人担忧的一点是,如果有三十四个学生组织,每个组织我不知道,三十名成员,或者更多,那就是一千人。

I mean, the concerning thing is if 34 student organizations that each have, I don't know, 30 members or maybe more, that's 1,000.

这可能就占了校园里一个相当有分量的比例,最后会做出回应。

That's a meaningful percentage of the campus perhaps that ultimately respond.

当然,这三十个左右的组织里,大概有十个后来撤回了声明,因为很多成员意识到他们写了什么之后,就不认同了。

Now, 10 or so of the 30 withdrew the statement once many of the members realized what they had written.

所以我不觉得——看起来这个声明是由领导层签的,不一定得到了所有学生成员的支持。

So I don't think—it seems like the statement was signed by the leadership and not necessarily supported by all the various students that were members.

但是,如果大学在教人这些信条,这些人就是下一代的领导者。

But if the university teaches people these precepts, this is the next generation of leaders.

通常来说,如果你想想——我大学毕业论文写的就是大学招生。

Normally, if you think about—I wrote my college thesis on university admissions.

为什么把控 Harvard 这所机构的大门,也就是招生办公室,很重要?因为这些毕业生里有很多人最后会进入政府里最顶尖的岗位,最终还会成为法官。

The reason why controlling the gates of the Harvard institution, the admissions office, is important is many of these people who graduate end up with the top jobs in government and ultimately become judges.

他们会渗透到整个社会当中。

They permeate through society.

所以这件事真的非常重要。

And so it really matters.

他们学到的东西是什么。

What they learn.

如果他们只接触政治光谱中的一边,不愿意接受广泛多元的观点,而这又代表着我们国家一些最精英的机构,那我觉得从长期来看,这对国家是非常有问题的。

And if they're limited to one side of the political aisle and they're not open to a broad array of views, and this represents some of the most elite institutions in our country, I think it's very problematic for the country long-term.
M1
M1157:55

对,我百分之百同意。

Yeah, I 100% agree.

而且我也感觉,领导层甚至不完全是问题本身,他们更像是有点脱节,没有意识到这是一个重要时刻,是一场重要危机,也是一个重要机会,让领导者站出来,定义一所机构的未来。

And I also felt like the leadership wasn't even part of the problem as much as they were almost out of touch, unaware that this is an important moment, it's an important crisis, it's an important opportunity to step up as a leader and define the future of an institution.

所以我甚至都不知道问题的源头到底在哪。

So I don't even know where the source of the problem is.

它真的有可能就是治理结构,就像我们一直在说的那样。

It could be literally governance structure, as we've been talking about.
M2
M2158:26

嗯,我觉得是两件事。

Well, it's 2 things.

我觉得其中一个是治理结构。

I think it's governance structure.

我还觉得,大学在挑选——它们其实没有在挑选真正的领导者。

I also think universities are selecting—they're not selecting leaders.
M1
M1158:34

对。

Yeah.
M2
M2158:35

在我看来,大学未必就应该由学者来管理。

It's not clear to me that universities should necessarily be run by academics.

大学的 dean,也就是帮助管理学校的人——大学其实有点分成两部分,一部分是大学这门“生意”,另一部分是大学的学术。

The dean of a university, the person who helps— there's sort of the business of the university, and then there's the academics of the university.

我会认为,让一个商业领袖来运营这些机构,再配一个本身就有多元观点的董事会,而且顺便说一句,这个结构要被永久性地设计成拥有多元观点,这会比挑一个得到教师支持的学者来管理大学,好得多。

I would argue having a business leader run these institutions and then having a board that has itself diverse viewpoints, and by the way, permanently structured to have diverse viewpoints, is a much better way to run a university than picking an academic that the faculty supports.

因为我了解过大学里教师是怎么被聘用的,最终当然是由董事会签字批准。

Because one of the things I learned about how faculty get hired at universities, ultimately it's signed off by the board.
M1
M1159:24

对。

Right.
M2
M2159:25

但是新教师实际上是由各个不同的院系来挑选的。

But the new faculty are chosen by each of the various departments.

而一旦某个院系开始倾斜,就会出现一种政治上的临界点;一旦它倒向某一边,教师就会继续招募更多像自己的人。

And once the departments tip, there's sort of a tipping point politically where once they tip in one direction, the faculty recruit more people like themselves.

所以随着时间推移,这些院系就会变得越来越 progressive,如果你愿意这么说的话,而且他们只会推进那些符合他们——符合他们政治目标的候选人。

And so the departments become more and more progressive, if you will, with the passage of time, and they only advance candidates that match their— that meet their political objectives.

这并不是一种很好的方式,去——去建立一个能够允许——的机构。

It's not a great way to— to build an institution which allows for—.
M1
M1159:56

小写 d 的 diversity。

Small-d diversity.
M2
M2159:58

对,能包容 diversity。

Allows for, yeah, diversity.

顺便说一句,diversity 不只是种族和性别。

And diversity, by the way, is not just race and gender.

这也是我感受非常强烈的一点。

And that's also something I feel very strongly about.
M1
M1160:08

不过还好,engineering robotics 受这个影响比较小。

Well, luckily engineering robotics is touched less by this.

还是会受影响,但我在 computing building、Stata,还有那个新的楼里的时候,politics 不会渗透进来,或者至少我没看到它像在别的地方那样渗透得那么深。

It is touched, but when I'm at the computing building, Stata and the new one, politics doesn't infiltrate, or I haven't seen it infiltrate quite as deeply as elsewhere.
M2
M2160:25

在 Harvard 的 biology department 里就有,因为 biology 现在成了有争议的话题。

It's in the biology department at Harvard because biology is controversial now.
M1
M1160:30

对,对,对。

Yes, yes, yes.
M2
M2160:30

因为 biology 和 gender 这个事,有教职员工,Harvard 有一位女性,真的就是作为 faculty 成员被 cancel 掉了。

Because biology and gender, there are faculty, there's a woman at Harvard who was literally canceled from the faculty as a member.

我记得她是在 med school,她提出的观点是,基本上 gender 是由 biology 决定的,而且只有两种,她就没被允许留下来。

I think she was at the med school, and she made the argument that there are basically 2 genders determined by biology, she wasn't allowed to stay.

这就是另一个改天再聊的话题了。

That's another topic for another time.
M1
M1160:53

这是另一个话题。

That's another topic.
M2
M2160:55

你应该专门做一期聊这个。

You should do a show on that one.

那会挺有意思的。

That would be an interesting one.
M1
M1160:59

所以像你说的,从技术上讲,Harvard 的校长 Claudine Gay 是因为 plagiarism 辞职的,不是因为一开始让你感到困扰的那件事。

So as you said, technically Claudine Gay, the president of Harvard, resigned over plagiarism, not over the thing that you were initially troubled by.
M2
M2161:09

这个很难真正——不,它不是那种可以被证明的事实。

It's hard to really— no, it's not like a provable fact.

我会说,在某一个时间点上,她失去了 faculty 的信任,而那最终成了导火索。

I would say at a certain point in time, she lost the confidence of the faculty, and that was ultimately the catalyst.

至于这里面有多少是 plagiarism 问题造成的,又有多少是之前那些事情造成的,还是说其实是所有这些问题加在一起?

And whether that was— how much of that was the plagiarism issue and how much of that was some of the things that preceded it, or was it all of these issues in their entirety?

我们其实没法——没有办法去做这种计算。

We don't really— there's no way to do a calculus.
M1
M1161:29

你能不能根据你的记忆,解释一下这个 plagiarism 大概是什么性质?

Can you explain the nature of this plagiarism from what you remember?
M2
M2161:33

Aaron Sibarium 和 Christopher Rufo,一个来自 Free Beacon,Chris 提出了一些指控,或者说发现了一些 plagiarism 问题。我会说,最开始的例子是用了相同的措辞,但有适当注明出处,只是缺了几个脚注。

So Aaron Sibarium and Christopher Rufo, one from the Free Beacon, Chris surfaced some allegations on or identified some plagiarism issues that I would say the initial examples were use of the same words with proper attribution, some missing footnotes.

后来随着更多深挖,他们又公布了,我记得最后大概有七十六个他们称之为 plagiarism 的例子,涉及她十一篇文章里的八篇。

And then over time, with I guess more digging, they released I think ultimately something like 76 examples of what they call plagiarism in, I think, 8 of 11 of her articles.

这里后来又浮现出来的另一点是,作为 university 的 president,她在学术上的履历某种程度上是历任校长里最单薄的,成果相对比较少。

And one of the other things that came forth here is as president of the university, she had sort of the thinnest transcript academically of any previous president, relatively small body of work.

然后你再把这一点和那种相当普遍的 plagiarism 数量放在一起看,再加上后来又冒出来的一些其他例子,就不是缺引号这么简单了,有些原作者觉得自己的观点被偷走了。

And then when you couple that with the amount of plagiarism that was pervasive, and then I guess some of the other examples that surfaced were not missing quotation marks, where the authors of the work felt that their ideas had been stolen.

而且说到底,plagiarism 就是学术欺诈。

And really, plagiarism is academic fraud.

plagiarism 是有一些迹象可循的。

There are indicia of plagiarism.

其中一个 plagiarism 的迹象,就是缺了脚注。

One indicia of plagiarism is a missing footnote.

但那也有可能只是文书上的错误。

That could also be a clerical error.

所以当一个 professor 被指控 plagiarism 的时候,university 会做比较深入的调查。

And so when a professor's accused of plagiarism, the university does sort of a deep dive.

他们会有这种行政委员会来处理,评估可能要花六个月、九个月,甚至一年。动机很重要。

They have these administrative boards, and it can take 6 months, 9 months, a year to evaluate. Intent matters.

这是故意偷了别人的想法吗?

Was this intentional theft of another person's idea?

那就是学术欺诈。

That's academic fraud.

还是说这只是马虎?

Or was this sloppy?

你漏掉了,或者说这就是人性,对吧?

You missed, or just humanity, right?

这里漏一个脚注,那里漏一个脚注。

You miss a footnote here or there.

我觉得,一旦到了大家认为这是在偷别人的 intellectual property 的地步,那她继续担任 Harvard 校长这件事就变得无法容忍了。

And I think once it got to a place where people felt it was theft of someone else's intellectual property, that's when it became intolerable for her to stay as president of Harvard.
M1
M1163:21

所以在你看来,不同类型的 plagiarism 之间是有一个光谱的,对吗?比如抄袭措辞、抄袭想法,或者抄袭原创性的想法?

So is there a spectrum for you between different kinds of plagiarism, maybe plagiarizing words and plagiarizing ideas and plagiarizing novel ideas?
M2
M2163:36

当然。

Of course.

对 plagiarism 的通常理解,如果你去查字典,它说的就是偷窃。

The common understanding of plagiarism, if you look in the dictionary, it's about theft.

而偷窃是需要主观故意的。

Theft requires intent.

这个人是不是故意拿了别人的想法或者文字。

Did the person intentionally take someone else's ideas or words.

如果你是在写小说,那文字本身就更重要。

Now, if you're writing a novel, words matter more.

如果你把 Shakespeare 的文字拿来,当成是你自己写的。

If you're taking Shakespeare and presenting it as your own words.

如果你写的是思想和观点,那想法当然重要,但你也不应该在没有恰当注明来源的情况下拿别人的原话,不管是用引号还是用别的方式。

If you're writing about ideas, ideas matter, but you're not supposed to take someone else's words without properly acknowledging them, whether it's quotation marks or otherwise.

但如果放在一个学者一生作品的语境里,在 AI 出现之前,每个人都会有漏掉引号和脚注的时候。

But in the context of an academic's life's work, before AI, everyone's going to have missing quotation marks and footnotes.

我记得我自己写 thesis 的时候。

I remember writing my own thesis.

当时有些书你没法从 Widener Library 借出来,所以我会拿索引卡,把内容抄在卡片上,再写一个小小的 citation,确保自己记得正确标注来源。

I would take— there were books you couldn't take out of Widener Library, so I'd have index cards and I'd write stuff on index cards and I'd put a little citation to make sure I remembered to cite it properly.

赶着写 thesis,赶着按时交,你说有多大概率会搞混,到底哪些话是你自己的,哪些是作者的,然后忘了加引号?

Scrambling to do your thesis, get it in on time, what's the chances you forget at what point what are your words versus the author's words and you forget to put quotation marks?

这就是人性,就是人都会犯错。

Just the humanity, the human fallibility of it.

所以,人会犯错不算学术欺诈;但如果你拿了别人的想法,而那些想法又是你作品里的核心组成部分,那就是学术欺诈。

So it's not academic fraud to have human fallibility, but it's academic fraud if you take someone else's ideas that are an integral part of your work.
M1
M1165:01

你会不会有那么一点遗憾,至少从外界观感来看,Harvard 的校长是因为 plagiarism 下台的,而不是因为她拒绝明确说出种族灭绝的呼吁是错的。

Is there a part of you that regrets that, at least from the perception of it, the president of Harvard stepped down over plagiarism versus over refusing to say that the calls for genocide are wrong.
M2
M2165:17

再说一次,我觉得如果一个领导人是因为领导失职而辞职,或者被免职,那传递出的信息会更好;而不是她因为一个技术性违规被抓到,而那件事跟她领导失败本身其实没什么关系。

Again, I think it would've sent a better message if a leader fails as a leader and that's the reason for their resignation or dismissal, then she gets, if you will, caught on a technical violation that had nothing to do with failed leadership.

因为我不知道这会给董事会在挑选下一位候选人这件事上带来什么教训。

Because I don't know what lesson that teaches the board about selecting the next candidate.

我是说,Harvard 的未来,很大程度上要取决于他们选谁来当下一任领导者。

I mean, the future of Harvard, a lot of it's going to depend on who they pick as the next leader.

这里有个挺有意思的小故事,我觉得之前没有公开被提过。

Here's an interesting anecdote that I think has not surfaced publicly.

有个人叫 Larry Bacow,他是 Harvard 的上一任校长。

So a guy named Larry Bacow was the previous president of Harvard.

Larry Bacow 当时在遴选委员会里,他们那时正在找新校长。

Larry Bacow was on the search committee and they were looking for a new president.

奇怪的是,在外界呼吁 Harvard 选一位更多元化的校长时,他们最后却选了一个年纪比较大的白人男性来当 Harvard 校长。

And what was strange was they picked an old white guy to be president of Harvard when there was a call for a more diverse president.

后来我了解到,其实 Harvard 当时确实走了一套流程,也确实找到过一位更具多样性的新校长人选;但在正式宣布新校长之前不久,对那位候选人做尽职调查时,他们发现那位校长候选人有 plagiarism 的问题,而且整个遴选过程已经拖得很久了。

And what I learned was Harvard actually ran a process, had a diverse new president of Harvard, and in the due diligence on that candidate shortly before the announcement of the new president, they found out that that presidential candidate had a plagiarism problem and the search had gone on long enough.

他们没法重新启动一次遴选,再去找另一个候选人。

They couldn't restart a search to find another candidate.

所以他们就把 Larry Bacow 从董事会、从遴选委员会里推出来,当 Harvard 的下一任校长,算是一种临时性的解决方案。

So they picked Larry Bacow off the board, off the search committee to be the next president of Harvard as kind of an interim solution.

然后这一次又有更大的压力,要找一个更多元化的候选人,因为如果你愿意这么说的话,这件事让 DEI office 非常失望。

And then there was that much more pressure to have a more diverse candidate this time around because it was a big disappointment to the DEI office, if you will.

而且我会对整个更广泛的社群说,连 Harvard 这样的地方都没法有一位种族背景多元的校长,

And I would say to the community at large that Harvard of all places couldn't have a racially diverse president.

那本来是会传递出一个很重要的信息的。

It would send an important message.

所以奇怪的是,他们当时并没有对 President Gay 做尽职调查,而且整个过程相对来说很快。

So the strange thing is that they didn't do due diligence on President Gay, and that it was a relatively quick process.

所以我觉得这整件事值得进一步深挖。

So the whole thing I think is worthy of further exploration.
M1
M1167:16

所以这件事不只是校长一个人的问题,还更深一层?

So this goes deeper than just the president?
M2
M2167:18

对,绝对是。

Yeah, for sure.

一家公司失败的时候,大多数人会怪 CEO。

When a company fails, most people blame the CEO.

而我通常会怪董事会,对吧?

I generally blame the board, right?

因为董事会的职责,就是确保是对的人在经营这家公司;如果这个人做得不好,就要帮他。

Because the board's job is to make sure the right person's running the company, and if they're failing, help the person.

如果帮不了这个人,那就换人。

If they can't help the person, make a change.

但这里发生的不是这样。

That's not what's happened here.

董事会某种程度上是被外部逼着出手的,但其实他们本来应该从内部自己做出决定。

The board's hand was sort of forced from the outside, whereas they should have made their own decision from the inside.
M1
M1167:40

你现在还爱 Harvard 吗?

Do you still love Harvard?
M2
M2167:42

当然。

Sure.

这是一所有四百多年历史的机构。

It's a 400-odd-year institution.

毫无疑问,它对我的人生帮助非常大。

Enormously helpful to me in my life, I'm sure.

我妹妹也上过 Harvard,在那里得到的经历、学习、友情、关系,

My sister also went to Harvard and the experiences, learnings, friendships, relationships.

再说一次,我对自己的人生是非常满意的。

Again, I'm very happy with my life.

Harvard 是我人生里很重要的一部分。

Harvard was an important part of my life.

我本科和商学院都是在那里上的。

I went there for both undergrad and business school.

我学到了很多,认识了很多老师,我到现在还一直保持密切联系的一些最好的朋友,也是在那里认识的。

I learned a ton, met a lot of faculty, a number of my closest friends who I still really keep in touch with, I made there.

所以对,它确实是个很棒的地方,但它需要一次重启。

So yeah, it's a great place, but it needs a reboot.
M1
M1168:23

对,我还是有希望的。

Yeah, I still have hope.

我觉得大学真的是非常重要的机构。

I think universities are really important institutions.
M2
M2168:29

我在 Harvard 的时候,我们那一届有一千六百人。

When I went to Harvard, there were 1,600 people in my class.

我觉得现在这一届规模也差不多,而且他们的在线教育其实并没有真正做起来。

I think today's class is about the same size, and their online education really has not sort of taken off.

所以我有一次听 Peter Thiel 演讲,他说,你知道有什么伟大的机构,是真正伟大、但一百年都没有成长的吗?

So I heard Peter Thiel speak at one point in time, and he's like, what great institution do you know that's truly great that hasn't grown in 100 years?

而校友们在某种意义上的激励是——这有点像个俱乐部。

And the incentives in some sense of the alums are for— it's a bit like a club.

如果你为这个圈子的精英主义感到自豪,你就不会想让那么多新成员进来。

If you're proud of the elitism of the club, you don't want that many new members.

但实际上,这个国家的人口,跟我一九八四年还在上学的时候相比,已经大幅增长了,而且 Harvard 现在是从世界各地招人,所以它如今服务的,其实是越来越小比例的人口。

But the fact that the population of the country has grown significantly since certainly I was a student in 1984, and the fact that Harvard recruits people from all over the world, it's really serving a smaller and smaller percentage of the population today.

而且不管怎么说,我们一些最有才华、最成功的创业者,恰恰没能读完本科,反而成了一种成功的标志。

And some of our most talented and successful entrepreneurs anyway, it's a token of success that they didn't make it through their undergraduate years.

他们要么大一就离开了,要么根本就没去读。

They left as a freshman or they didn't attend at all.
M1
M1169:33

对创业者来说是这样,但它依然是一个——

For entrepreneurs, yes, but it's still a place—.
M2
M2169:36

对研究非常重要。

Very important for research.

对推进思想也非常重要,呃,对,还有塑造公共讨论,以及培养下一代 Supreme Court 大法官。

Very important for advancing ideas, uh, and yes, and shaping dialogue and the next generation of Supreme Court justices.
M1
M1169:48

对。

Yes.
M2
M2169:48

还有,你知道,政府成员、政治人物。

And, you know, the members of government, politicians.

所以没错,它极其重要,但它现在并没有做好它本来应该做的工作。

So yes, it's critically important, but it, it's not, not doing the job it should be doing.
M1
M1170:01

Neri Oxman,你在这期播客里提到过她好几次,我也和她有过一次很棒的对话,也算是朋友。

Neri Oxman, somebody you mentioned several times throughout this podcast, somebody I had a wonderful conversation with, a friendship with.

我一直都很敬佩她,很欣赏她,也一直都是她的粉丝。

I've long looked up to her, admired her, have been a fan.

很多年来,我一直都很喜欢她,不只是她的作品,也喜欢她作为一个人。

I've been a fan of hers for a long time, of her work, um, and of her as a human being.

呃,看起来你也是她的粉丝。

Uh, looks like you're a fan of hers as well.
M2
M2170:20

对。

Yes.
M1
M1170:22

呃,你喜欢 Neri 的什么?

Uh, what do you love about Neri?

你欣赏她作为科学家、艺术家,还有作为人的哪些地方?

What do you admire about her as a scientist, artist, human being?
M2
M2170:27

我觉得,呃,她是我这辈子见过最美的人,而且我说的是那种发自她灵魂深处的美。

I think, uh, she's the most beautiful person I've ever met, and I mean that from like the center of her soul.

她是我见过最有爱心、最温暖、最体贴、最周到的人。

She's the most caring, warm, considerate, thoughtful person I've ever met.

而且她还把这些非凡的品质,和聪慧、惊人的创造力、美、优雅、从容结合在一起。

And she couples those remarkable qualities with brilliance, incredible creativity, beauty, elegance, grace.

对,我说的是我妻子,但我是以一种非常冷静客观的方式在说。

Yeah, I'm talking about my wife, but I'm talking incredibly dispassionately.

但我说的都是真心话。

But I mean what I say.

她是我见过最了不起的人,而我也见过很多了不起的人。

She's the most remarkable person I've ever met, and I've met a lot of remarkable people.

而且自从六年前我认识她以来,我非常幸运,能够在人生里很大一部分时间都和她一起度过。

And I'm incredibly fortunate to spend a very high percentage of my lifetime with her ever since I met her 6 years ago.
M1
M1171:22

所以,在你描述的那些艰难时刻里,她也一直在帮助你,是吗?

So she's been a help to you through some of the rough moments you described?
M2
M2171:25

当然。

For sure.

我是说,我是在自己最低谷的时候遇见她的。

I mean, I met her at the bottom.

呃,不过如果最后真的成了,这倒也不是一个遇见某人的坏时候。

Uh, which is not a bad place to meet someone if it works out.
M1
M1171:32

呃,你们两个人的性格之间,是不是有某种 yin and yang 的感觉?

Uh, is there some degree of yin and yang with the two personalities you have?

你形容过自己,呃,比较情绪化之类的,但看起来你们两个人在面对这个世界的方式上,确实还是有一点不同的风格。

You have described yourself as, uh, emotional and so on, but it does seem the two of you have slightly different styles about how you approach the world.
M2
M2171:47

嗯,很有意思的是,我们有很多、怎么说呢,你知道,我们在这个世界上的出身背景非常相似。

Well, interestingly, we, there's, we have a lot of like, um, you know, we come from very similar places in the world.

你知道,有时候你会觉得我们好像已经认识了几百年。

You know, there are times where you feel like we've known each other for centuries.

我第一次见她父母也是很久以前了,差不多也是六年前。

I met her parents for the first time a long time ago, almost 6 years ago as well.

我知道她父母原本是从 Eastern Europe 来的。

And I knew her parents were from Eastern Europe originally.

所以我就问她父亲,她家里最早是从哪座城市来的。

So I asked her father what city did her family come from originally.

然后我给我父亲打电话,问他,爸,Abraham 爷爷是——

And I called my father and asked him, Dad, what's Grandpa Abraham?

那座城市叫什么名字?

What's the name of the city?

然后我把这两座城市输进 Google Maps,结果发现它们相距五十二英里,我当时觉得这特别酷。

And then I put the two cities into Google Maps and they were 52 miles apart, which I thought was pretty cool.

后来当然,在某个时候我们还做了基因检测,确认我们不是亲戚,结果确实不是。

Then of course, at some point we did genetic testing to make sure we weren't related, which we were not.

不过我们在价值观上有非常惊人的相似之处。

But we share incredible commonality on values.

我们会被同一类人吸引。

We are attracted to the same kind of people.

她喜欢我的朋友,我也喜欢她的朋友。

She loves my friends, I love hers.

我们喜欢做同一类事情。

We love doing the same kind of things.

我们会被——你知道,我们喜欢用同样的方式度过时间。

We're attracted to, you know, we like spending time the same ways.

嗯,而且她确实——对,情感更丰富,也更优雅。

Um, and she has, yes, more emotion, uh, more elegance.

她不喜欢争斗,但她非常坚强。

Uh, she doesn't like battles, but she's very strong.

不过她比我更敏感。

Uh, but she's more sensitive than I am.
M1
M1173:06

对,你总是在同时打很多场仗,而且经常还有媒体、社交媒体,到处都是火力。

Yeah, you, you are constantly in multiple battles at the same time, and there's often the media, social media, it's just fire everywhere.
M2
M2173:19

你知道,其实这种情况已经有一阵子不是这样了。

You know, that hasn't really been the case for a while.

我已经有很长一段时间都算比较平静了,因为随着我不再像职业生涯早期那样,必须做那种 activist。

I've had relative peace for a long time because I, as I stopped being, as I haven't had to be the kind of activist I was earlier in my career.

不过我觉得,自从十月七号以来,是的,我确实感觉自己像是在打一场仗。

Uh, I think since October 7th, yes, I do feel like I've been in a war.
M1
M1173:33

你能跟我讲讲针对 Neri 的那些指控的来龙去脉吗?

Can you tell me the saga of the accusations against Neri?
M2
M2173:39

所以,实际上,关于 President Gay 的抄袭指控并不是我挖出来的,那是 Aaron,可能还有 Christopher Rufo,或者也可能是 Chris 帮忙传播了 Aaron 和某个匿名人士发现的那些内容。

So, I did not actually surface the plagiarism allegations against President Gay that surfaced by Aaron and maybe Christopher Rufo as well, or maybe Chris helped promote what Aaron and some anonymous person identified.

但我当然——那时候董事会已经说了,我们百分之百、全体一致支持她。

But I certainly— it was a point in time where the board had said, we're 100% behind her unanimously.

而我当时真的觉得她必须下台。

And I really felt she had to go.

所以他们发现了她身上的那些问题,我一点也不介意。

So it didn't bother me at all that they had identified problems with her.

她的作品。

Work.

所以我转发了那些帖子。

So I reposted those posts.

后来董事会——她最终辞职了,而且还继续在 Harvard 拿着一年九十万美元的教授职位。

And then when the board— she ultimately resigned and she got a $900,000 a year professorship continuing at Harvard.

我当时说,你看,考虑到她有限的学术记录,再加上这些抄袭指控,她必须得走。

I said, look, in light of her limited academic record and these plagiarism allegations, she had to go.

我当时就知道,我那么做的时候,其实我对自己写的那篇 thesis 多少是有点疑神疑鬼的。

I knew when I did so, I assumed I was actually a bit paranoid about that thesis I had written.

我就只有那一篇 academic work,但我之前没有拿它去查 plagiarism,我当时就想,这事早晚会发生。

I only had one academic work, but I hadn't checked it for plagiarism and I thought, That's going to happen.

其实,我还专门找人——因为我手头没有副本——去弄来了一份我的 thesis,我还记得当年写它的时候。

Actually, I had someone— I did not have a copy on hand, so I got a copy of my thesis and I remember writing it.

那时候 Harvard 还挺——他们会专门给你讲一通,提醒你一定要把所有 footnotes 和 quotation marks 都弄对。

Harvard at the time was pretty— they kind of gave you a lecture about making sure you have all your footnotes and quotation marks.

后来我才知道,原来 New York Public Library 那边存着我 thesis 的一份副本,还有一个媒体人告诉我他当时就在那儿。

I learned later that apparently they had a copy of my thesis at the New York Public Library and a member of the media told me he was there.

在线上还有十来个其他媒体的人,大家都在想办法拿到我 thesis 的副本,好拿去跑某种 AI 检测。

Online with a dozen other members of the media all trying to get a copy of my thesis to run it through some AI.

他们还得先做 optical character recognition,先把纸质文件转成数字版。

They had to first do optical character recognition to convert the paper document into digital.

不过幸好,简直像个奇迹一样,我这边没出问题。

But fortunately, through a miracle, I didn't have an issue.

当然,我当时没想到 Neri,她可是有大概一百三十篇 academic works 之类的。

I didn't think about Neri, of course, who has whatever, 130 academic works.

当时刚好是 Christmas break 假期快结束的时候,我们正处在假期尾声,而且对放假来说那天还挺早的。

And so we were just at the end of a vacation for Christmas break, and it was early in the morning for vacation time.

突然我就听见我手机在另一个房间里响,或者说在另一个房间里一直震,震了好多次。

And all of a sudden I hear my phone ringing in the other room or vibrating in the other room multiple times.

我就想,嗯?

I'm like, hmm.

我把电话拿起来。

I pick up the phone.

是我们负责沟通的那位,Fran McGill。

It's our communication guy, Fran McGill.

他就说,Bill,Business Insider 好像发现了 Neri dissertation 里有几处 plagiarism 的情况。

And he's like, Bill, Business Insider has apparently identified a number of instances of plagiarism in Neri's dissertation.

我把这封邮件发给你。

Let me send you this email.

他把邮件发给我了,里面说他们在她那篇三百三十页的 dissertation 里找出了四段:她虽然标注了作者,但那几段里绝大多数文字其实都是直接来自那位作者的,所以她本来应该加 quotation marks。

He sent me the email and they had identified 4 paragraphs in her 330-page dissertation where she had cited the author, but she had used the vast majority of the words in those paragraphs were from the author and she should have used quotation marks.

然后还有一个地方,是她对一位作者做了正确的 paraphrase,但没有用 footnote 标明这是出自那个人的作品。

And then there was one case where she paraphrased correctly an author, but did not footnote that it was from his work.

所以这个情况摆在我们面前,而且对方告诉我们,他们几个小时后就要发出来。

And so we were presented with this and told they're going to publish in a few hours.

我们就说,那个,能不能等到第二天?

And we're like, well, can we get to the next day?

因为我们马上就要回家了。

We're just about to head home.

结果他们说,不行,我们中午之前就要发。

And they're like, no, we're publishing by noon.

我们需要你们在中午之前给答复。

We need an answer by noon.

于是我们就在很慢的网速下把她 thesis 的副本下载下来,Neri 看了一遍,然后她说,你知道吗?

And so we downloaded the copy of her thesis on the slow internet and Neri checked it out and she said, you know what?

看起来他们说得对。

Looks like they're right.

我就说,你看,你就直接承认这个错误吧。

And I said, look, you should just admit your mistake.

然后她写了一段很简单、很得体的回应,说,是的,我本来应该加 quotation marks。

And she wrote a very simple, gracious, yes, I should have used quotation marks.

至于那位她没有标注的作者,她也指出,其实她在别的地方还引用过对方八十次,而且她在 thesis 里还用了好几段专门致谢和说明那个人的工作。

And on the author I failed to cite, she pointed out that she cited them 80 other times and wrote a several-paragraph section of her thesis acknowledging his work.

这些都不是她 thesis 里的关键部分,但她承认了自己的错误,并且说,我为我的错误道歉。

And none of these were important parts of her thesis, but she acknowledged her mistake and she said, I apologize for my mistake.

我也向那位我没能标注到的作者道歉。

And I apologize to the author who I failed to cite.

而我也是站在所有先行者的肩膀上,努力把这项工作往前推进。

And I stand on the shoulders of all the people who came before me in looking to advance work.

我们当时有点觉得,这事已经结束了。

And we sort of thought it was over.

我们就回家了。

We head home.

在回程的飞机上——不过这件事我们是第二天回去之后才知道的——Business Insider 又发了一篇文章,说:Neri Oxman 承认抄袭。

In flight on the way home, although we didn't realize this till we got back the following day, Business Insider published another article and said, Neri Oxman admits to plagiarism.

当然,抄袭在学术上就是造假。

Plagiarism, of course, is academic fraud.

然后这事一下子就疯狂传播开了。

And this thing goes crazy viral.

哦,Bill——标题写的是:Bill Ackman 的妻子、明星学者 Neri Oxman。

Oh, Bill— the title is Bill Ackman's Wife, Celebrity Academic Neri Oxman.

他们用“明星”这个词,是因为正规媒体对有公信力的人下手是有限度的。

And they use the term celebrity because there are limits to what legitimate media can go after.

但如果是名人,媒体在报道时能说的话、能做的发挥空间就大得多。

But celebrities, there's a lot more leeway in the media into what they can say.

所以他们才会叫她明星。

So that's why they call her a celebrity.

这还是她人生第一次被叫作明星。

First time ever she'd been called a celebrity.

然后,呃,他们基本上就是在说,她承认了学术造假。

And, uh, and they, they basically, she's admitting to academic fraud.

接着他们又说,然后第二天,呃,下午五点十九分——这个时间线我记得非常清楚——他们发了一封邮件给 Fran McGill,说,嗯,我们又发现了她作品里另外大概二十多处抄袭,其中十五处是 Wikipedia 词条,她直接抄了定义。

And then they said, and then the next day, uh, at 5:19 PM, I remember the timeline pretty well, uh, an email was sent to Fran McGill saying, um, you know, we've identified, you know, two dozen other instances of plagiarism in her work, 15 of which are Wikipedia entries where she copied definitions.

其他的大多是一些软件、硬件说明手册,涉及她在工作里用到的各种设备或软件,其中大部分都出现在脚注里,比如她在描述一个 3D printer 的喷嘴之类的东西。

And the others were mostly software, hardware manuals for various devices or software she used in her work, most of which were in footnotes where she described a nozzle for a 3D printer or something like this.

他们还说,我们今晚就要发。

And they said, we're publishing tonight.

他们发给我们的那封邮件有六千九百个词。

The email they sent to us was 6,900 words.

一共十二页。

It was 12 pages.

几乎都看不懂。

It was practically indecipherable.

你根本没法读。

You couldn't even read it.

要在一个小时之内看完,而且他们提到的一些文件我们手头还没有。

In an hour, and we didn't have some of the documents they were referring to.

我就跟 Neri 说,你知道我要怎么做吗?

And I'm like, Neri, you know what I'm going to do?

我觉得这里提供一点背景会有帮助。

I think it'll be useful to provide context here.

我要把每一位 MIT 教授的 dissertation,还有每一篇已发表的论文,都做一遍审查。

I'm going to do a review of every MIT professor's dissertation, every published paper.

现在 AI 已经让这件事变得可行了。

AI has enabled this.

所以我就发了一条 tweet,大意就是这个意思。

And so that was, I put out a tweet basically saying that.

我们现在正在做一次测试运行,因为这事必须做准。

And we're doing a test run now because we have to get it right.

我觉得这会是个很有用的工作。

And I think it'll be a useful exercise.

算是提供一点背景吧,如果你愿意这么说的话。

Provide some context, if you will.

然后这事又一下子疯狂传开了。

And then this thing goes crazy viral.

而 Neri 是个非常敏感的人,也很情绪化,而且还是个完美主义者。

And Neri is a pretty sensitive person, pretty emotional person, and someone who's a perfectionist.

让全世界的人都觉得你犯了学术造假,这事的杀伤力可太大了。

And having everyone in the world thinking you committed academic fraud is a pretty damning thing.

不过他们确实说了,他们把她所有的作品都彻底审查了一遍,这就是他们发现的结果。

Now, they did say they did a thorough review of all of her work, and this is what they found.

我当时就想,亲爱的,这也太厉害了。

I'm like, sweetheart, that's remarkable.

你一共做了130项作品,其中73项还是同行评审的,诸如此类。

You did 130 works, 73 of which were peer-reviewed, blah, blah, blah.

而且她还在 Nature、Science,还有这些不同的刊物上发表过。

And she's published in Nature, Science, and all these different publications.

这其实已经算是相当不错的命中率了。

That's actually, it's a pretty good batting average.

但他们不能这么说,这不对。

But they can't, this is wrong.

这不是学术造假。

This is not academic fraud.

这些是不小心犯的错误。

These are inadvertent mistakes.

还有那些 Wikipedia 词条,Neri 其实是把 Wikipedia 当词典在用。

And the Wikipedia entries, Neri actually used Wikipedia as a dictionary.

那还是 Wikipedia 刚出来的早期。

This is the early days of Wikipedia.

他们还提到了 MIT 的 handbook,里面有整整一大部分在讲 plagiarism,就是那个学术手册。

And they also referred to the MIT handbook, which has a whole section on plagiarism, academic handbook.
M1
M1180:21

对。

Yeah.
M2
M2180:22

如果你去读的话——我后来还真去读了——他们把几件事讲得非常清楚。

And if you read it, which I ultimately did, they make clear a few things.

第一,plagiarism、academic fraud,还有他们所谓的 inadvertent plagiarism,是不一样的;后者指的是文书或记录上的失误,就是你犯了错,而关键要看意图。

Number one, there's plagiarism, academic fraud, and there's what they call inadvertent plagiarism, which is clerical errors where you make a mistake and it depends on intent.

还有一个链接你可以点进去看,就是如果你在 MIT 被调查,会发生什么。

And there's a link that you can go to, which is a section on if you get investigated at MIT, what happens?

流程是什么?

What's the procedure?

最开始的阶段是什么?

What's the initial stage?

调查阶段是什么?

What's the investigative stage?

如果他们认定有问题,后面的程序又是什么?

What's the procedure if they identify it?

他们说得非常明确,academic fraud 包括什么——他们列了 plagiarism、research theft,还有其他几项——但这里面不包括诚实的错误。

And they make very clear that academic fraud is, and they list plagiarism, research theft, a few other things, but it does not include honest errors.

按照 MIT 自己的政策,诚实的错误不算 plagiarism。

Honest errors are not plagiarism under MIT's own policies.

而且在那本 handbook 里,他们还有很大一部分在讲他们所谓的 common knowledge。

And in the handbook, they also have a big section on what they call common knowledge.

而 common knowledge 取决于你的 thesis 是写给谁看的。

And common knowledge depends on who you're writing your thesis for.

所以如果某个事实你的读者本来就知道,那你就没有义务去加引号或者做引用。

And so if it's a fact that is known by your audience, you're not required to quote or cite.

所以那些 Wikipedia 词条,讲的都是像 sustainable design、computer-aided design 这样的内容。

And so all those Wikipedia entries were for things like sustainable design, computer-aided design.

她只是从 Wikipedia 里拿了一个定义,而对她的读者来说这属于 common knowledge,按 handbook 的规定没有义务标注,完全豁免。

She just took a definition from Wikipedia, common knowledge to her readers, no obligation under the handbook, totally exempt.

还有一次是用了同样的措辞,她提到的是一个什么来着,某种 3D printer。

Using the same words, she referred to a whatever, some kind of 3D printer.

那是一台 Stratasys 的 3D printer,她是从使用手册里引用的。

It was a Stratasys 3D printer, and she quoted from the manual.

马上就有人说,Stratasys 可是你给它做过咨询的公司。

Right away, Stratasys is a company you consulted for.

你不需要——那不是——你又不是在偷他们的想法。

You don't need to— that's not something— you're not stealing their ideas.

你只是在脚注里描述一个你工作中会用到的设备喷嘴。

You're describing a nozzle for a device you use in your work in a footnote.

这不叫偷想法。

That's not a theft of idea.

所以我当时就觉得,这太离谱了。

And so I'm like, this is crazy.

所以这事必须得停下来。

And so this has got to stop.

所以我就联系了一个我认识的人,他在 Business Insider 的董事会里,是董事长。

And so I reach out to a guy I knew who was on the board of Business Insider, the chairman.

他的名字很快就会公开。

And his name is going to come public shortly.

我当时答应过,要对他的名字保密。

I committed at that time to keep his name confidential.

现在媒体已经把这个事公开报道出来了。

It's now surfaced publicly in the press.
M1
M1182:19

我能不能在这儿先暂停一下,很快说两句?

Can I just pause real quick here?
M2
M2182:21

当然。

Sure.
M1
M1182:21

就是——我也不知道。

Just to— I don't know.

我有很多话想说,不过你其实已经讲得很清楚了。

There's a lot of things I want to say, but you made it pretty clear.

但就只是作为这个圈子里的一员,我觉得这里面也有一个常识判断。

But just as a member of the community, there's also like a common-sense test.

我觉得你更多是在从法律角度、更精确地看这个——

I think you're more precisely like legal and looking at—
M2
M2182:39

对。

Sure.
M1
M1182:39

但这里其实还有一个扯不扯淡的检验,而且 Neri 做的任何事,都不是 plagiarism 这个词那种坏意义上的 plagiarism。

But there's just like a bullshit test, and like nothing that Neri did is plagiarism in the bad meaning of the word.

现在 plagiarism 正在变成另一种 -ism,就像 racism 之类的,被当成一个攻击性标签来用。

Plagiarism right now is becoming another -ism like racism or so on, used as an attack word.

我不在乎这个词到底怎么定义,但确实有那种很恶劣的学术造假,比如偷窃。

I don't care what the meaning of it is, but there's the bad academic fraud, like theft.
M2
M2183:00

对。

Yes.
M1
M1183:00

偷别人的想法,这种情况当然存在。你也许可以扯很多定义之类的东西,但还有一个最基本的扯不扯淡判断,大家都知道这人是小偷,而这人绝对不是小偷。

Theft of an idea, and maybe you can say a lot of definitions and this kind of stuff, but then there's just a basic bullshit test where everyone knows this is a thief and this is definitely not a thief.

而且 Neri 做过的任何事,不管是她的论文里,还是她的人生经历里,

And there's nothing about anything that Neri did, anything in her thesis or in her life.

所有认识她的人都知道,她特别厉害,对吧?

Everyone that knows her, she's a rock star, right?

我只是想说清楚,网上发生的这些事,不管是什么,居然会去攻击一位伟大的科学家,这真的让我很受伤。

I just want to make it clear, it really hurt me that the internet, whatever is happening, could go after a great scientist.

因为我热爱 science,我也喜欢赞美那些伟大的科学家。

'Cause I love science and I love celebrating great scientists.

而现在这个局面真的太荒唐了,不管是某种机器在运转,还是我们可以说是 Business Insider,或者别的什么,social media、大众歇斯底里,不管到底是什么在发生——这个世界需要那些伟大的科学家。

And it's just really messed up that whatever the machine, and we can talk about Business Insider or whatever, social media, mass hysteria, whatever is happening, like we need the great scientists of the world.

因为未来其实就靠他们了。

'Cause that's like the future depends on them.

所以我们应该赞美他们、保护他们,让他们茁壮成长,让他们去做自己的事,让他们远离我们为了点击、广告、戏剧性和这些乱七八糟的东西制造出来的这种破风暴——我们得保护他们。

And so we need to celebrate them and protect them and let them flourish and let them do their thing and like keep them out of this whatever shitstorm that we're doing to get clicks and advertisements and drama and all this kind of— we need to protect them.

所以我只想说,在我认识的人里——而且我有无数科学家朋友,世界级的科学家、Nobel Prize 得主——他们全都喜欢 Neri,他们全都尊重 Neri。

So I just want to say there's nobody I know, and I have a million friends that are scientists, world-class scientists, Nobel Prize winners, they all love Neri, they all respect Neri.

她一点错都没有。

She did zero wrong.

我就是想——然后这后面的时间,我们可以再聊新闻行业到底有多么失灵,之类的。

I just wanna— and then the rest of the conversation we can have about how broken journalism is and so on.

但我就是想说,Neri 没有做错任何事。

But like, I just wanna say that there's nothing that Neri did wrong.

这不是什么灰色地带,也不是那种情况。

It's not a gray area or so on.

我个人其实也不太喜欢把 Claudine Gay 的事变成一场关于 plagiarism 的讨论,因为那会让大家忽略真正坏掉的根本问题。

I also personally don't love that Claudine Gay is a discussion about plagiarism, 'cause it distracts from the fundamentals that is broken.
M2
M2184:50

嗯哼。

Mm-hmm.
M1
M1184:51

事情就会变成某种很奇怪的技术性讨论。

It becomes like some weird technical discussion.

但就 Neri 这个案例来说,她没有做错任何事。

But in case of Neri, did nothing wrong.

她是个很棒的科学家,也是 MIT 以及更广范围内都很出色的工程师。

Great scientist, great engineer at MIT and beyond.

她现在还在做一件很酷的事。

She's doing a cool thing now.

所以,总之。

So anyway.
M2
M2185:03

这话我自己都不可能说得更好了。

Could not have said it better myself.

那很显然,我现在关注的是技术层面的部分。

Now obviously I'm focused on the technical part.
M1
M1185:06

对。

Right.

因为你在这里得讲得精确一点。

Because you want to be precise here.
M2
M2185:09

嗯,甚至都不只是这个。

Well, it's not even that.

我的意思是,对,我确实说过我们要起诉 Business Insider。

I mean, yes, I have said that we're going to sue Business Insider.

而且在我三十五年的职业生涯里,作为一个从来没有——每篇报道都对我是正面的。

And in 35 years of my career as someone who has not— every article has been a favorable one.

倒也不是每篇报道都准确。

Not every article has been an accurate one.

但我从来没有威胁过要起诉媒体,也从来没有真的起诉过媒体。

I've never threatened to sue the media and I've never sued the media.

可这次实在太恶劣了。

But this is so egregious.

问题不只是她什么都没做错,而是他们指控她学术造假。

It's not just that she did nothing wrong, but they accused her of academic fraud.

而且他们是在明知道的情况下这么做的,因为他们还引用了 MIT 自己的 handbook。

They did it knowing they make reference to MIT's own handbook.

所以他们肯定读过 handbook 里和我读到的完全一样的那些内容。

So they had to read all of the same stuff that I read in the handbook.

这些功课他们都做了。

They did that work.

后来我把这件事升级反映给了 Henry Blodget,也就是 Business Insider 的董事长,还有 Axel Springer 的 CEO。

Then after I escalated this thing to Henry Blodget, the chairman of Business Insider, to the CEO of Axel Springer.

我甚至在某个时候还联系了 Henry Kravis,他通过 KKR 是这家公司的控股股东之一,把那篇文章里的事实错误一条条列给他看。

I even reached out to Henry Kravis at a certain point in time, one of the controlling shareholders of the company through KKR, laying out the factual errors in the article.

可在他们说 Neri 构成 academic fraud 和 plagiarism 之后,Business Insider 还公开表示,说我们没有对任何内容作出更改,事实仍然没有争议。

Business Insider went public after they said Neri committed academic fraud and plagiarism and said, we didn't challenge any, the facts remain undisputed.

就在那篇文章里。

In the article.

所以基本上,他们的说法就是,Neri 抄袭了。

So it's basically, Neri committed plagiarism.

这是第一个故事。

That's story one.

Neri 承认了抄袭。

Neri admits to plagiarism.

她承认了抄袭。

She admits to plagiarism.

她承认自己犯了一些文书上的小错误。

She admitted to making a few clerical errors.

这是她唯一承认的事。

That's the only thing she admitted to.

而且她还很有风度地道了歉。

And she graciously apologized.

所以他们说,Neri 承认抄袭,并且为抄袭道歉。

So they said, Neri admits to plagiarism, apologizes for plagiarism.

这杀伤力非常大。

That's incredibly damning.

顺便说一句,我们还在做调查,因为我们担心其中可能存在不当的流程。

And by the way, we're doing an investigation because we're concerned that there might have been inappropriate process.
M1
M1186:43

对。

Right.
M2
M2186:44

但这个报道里的事实,Neri Oxman 和 Bill Ackman 都没有提出异议。

But the facts of the story have not been disputed by Neri Oxman or Bill Ackman.

而那完全是假的。

And that was totally false.

我私下里已经做过了。

I had done it privately.

我也在 Twitter、在 X 上公开做过。我把事情都列出来了,我这里有和那家公司 CEO 的整段短信记录,一整串 WhatsApp 记录,可他们还是一错再错,一再加码。

I'd done it publicly on Twitter, on X. I laid out, I have a whole text stream, a WhatsApp stream with the CEO of the company, and they doubled down and they doubled down again.

所以我不会轻易起诉别人。

And so I don't sue people lightly.

接着看吧。

And stay tuned.
M1
M1187:10

所以你现在,至少目前,是打算继续推进——

So you're, at least for now, moving forward with—.
M2
M2187:16

我们肯定会继续推进。

It's a certainty we're moving forward.

在起诉他们之前,我们还能先采取一步行动,基本上就是给他们发一封信,要求他们做出一系列更正。

There's a step we can take prior to suing them where we basically send them a letter demanding they make a series of corrections.

如果他们不做这些更正,下一步就是诉讼。

That if they don't make those corrections, the next step is litigation.

我希望我们能避免走到下一步。

I hope we can avoid the next step.

我现在只是要确保,当我们把这份要求提交给 Business Insider,并最终提交给 Axel Springer 的时候,能够非常清楚地说明他们是怎么诽谤她的、他们报道里的事实错误有哪些,以及他们需要怎么改正。

And I'm just making sure that when we present the demand to Business Insider and ultimately to Axel Springer, that it's incredibly clear how they defamed her, the factual mistakes in their stories, and what they need to do to fix it.

如果能在那里把问题纠正过来,我们就可以翻过这一页,也希望能避免诉讼。

And if we can fix it there, we can move on from this episode and hopefully avoid litigation.

所以目前就是这个情况。

So that's where we are.
M1
M1187:59

我也不知道。

I don't know.

你比我聪明。

You're smarter than me.

这里面有技术层面的东西。

There's technical stuff.

有法律层面的东西。

There's legal stuff.

还有新闻职业层面的东西,但说真的,Business Insider,你们他妈的太过分了。

There's journalistic stuff, but just fuck you, Business Insider, for doing this.

这个世界上很多事我不懂,但记者不该这么干,这我还是知道的。

I don't know much in this world, but journalists aren't supposed to do that.
M2
M2188:14

你看,最终我们会把这些东西全都公开出来。

Now look, we're going to surface all this stuff publicly ultimately.

那封邮件不是发给 Neri,说她的作品里有抄袭。

The email was not to Neri saying there was plagiarism in her work.

那封邮件是一个叫 Katherine Long 的记者发来的,标题是:你妻子抄袭了。

The email came from a reporter named Katherine Long, and the headline was, your wife committed plagiarism.

她难道不该被 MIT 开除吗?

Shouldn't she be fired from MIT?

就像你害得 Claudine Gay 被 Harvard 开除那样。

Just like you caused Claudine Gay to be fired from Harvard.
M1
M1188:35

对。

Yeah.
M2
M2188:36

这是个政治议程。

It was a political agenda.

她不喜欢我,好吗?

She doesn't like me, okay?

她当时就是想伤害我。

And she was trying to hurt me.

而且他们在我的论文里根本找不到抄袭。

And they couldn't find plagiarism in my thesis.

还有,作为做空一方——我是说,作为一个 short seller,Herbalife 那场仗打了好多年。

And being the subject of short— being a short seller, the Herbalife battle went on for years.

他们想尽一切办法要毁掉我的名声。

They tried to do everything to destroy my reputation.

所以他们之前连我的垃圾都翻过了。

So they'd already gone through my trash.

那些事他们早就都做过了。

They'd already done all that work.

所以任何他们可能找得到的东西——谢天谢地,我一直活得很干净。

So anything they could possibly find— I've always lived a very clean life, thankfully.

如果你要做 activist short seller,你最好真的是这样,因为如果你身上有黑料,他们一定会挖出来。

And if you're going to be an activist short seller, you better, because they're going to find out dirt on you if it exists.

所以他们就在想,怎么才能真正伤到 Bill?

And so they're like, how can we really hurt Bill?

顺便说一句,Neri 早在很多年前就已经离开 MIT 了。

By the way, Neri had left MIT years earlier.
M1
M1189:18

对。

Yes.
M2
M2189:18

当那个记者发现她已经不是 MIT 的教职员工时,她气坏了。

When the reporter found out she was no longer a member of the MIT faculty, they were enraged.

她不相信我们。

They didn't believe us.

她还让我们拿出证据,证明她已经不在 MIT 任教了,因为她就是想让她被开除。

They made us prove to us she's no longer on the MIT faculty because they wanted to get her fired.

顺便说一句,恶意是判断是否构成诽谤的一个重要因素。

And by the way, malice is one of the important factors in determining whether defamation's taken place.

而这件事就是出于恶意驱动的——这根本不是在做新闻。

And this was a malice-driven— this was not about news.

而新闻行业里很不幸的一点是,Business Insider 靠这件事赚了很多钱。

And the unfortunate thing about journalism is Business Insider made a fortune from this.

这个故事被全世界成千上万家媒体发表又转发。

This story was published and republished by thousands of media organizations around the world.

它在 Twitter 上连续差不多两天都是热度第一的话题。

It was the number one trending thing on Twitter for like 2 days.

每一家报纸、每一个——它上了所有以色列报纸的头版,也上了 Financial Times 的头版。

Every newspaper, every— it was on the front page of every Israeli newspaper, was on the front page of the Financial Times.

好,所以这件事——而且她当时还在创业。

Okay, so this— and she's building a business.

如果你是一家 science company 的 CEO,却被说成有学术造假,那伤害是非常大的。

And if you're CEO of a science company and you committed academic fraud, that's incredibly damaging.

但最后我还是说服了她,让她觉得这其实是件好事。

But I ultimately convinced her that this was good.

我说,亲爱的,你太了不起了。

I said, sweetheart, you're amazing.

你真的很不可思议。

You're incredible.

你才华惊人,但之前大多数人认识你,主要还是在设计界。

You're incredibly talented, but you're mostly known in the design world.

现在呢,全世界的人,好吧,都听说过 Neri Oxman 了。

Now, everyone in the universe, okay, has heard of Neri Oxman.

对吧?

Okay?

我们会把这件事彻底澄清。

We're going to get this thing cleared up.

六个月后你会办一场活动,到时候你会告诉全世界,你会结束 stealth mode,正式公开亮相。

You're going to be doing an event in 6 months where you're going to tell the world, you're going to go out of stealth mode.

你会告诉全世界,你正在打造、设计、创造的那些了不起的东西。

You're going to tell the world about all the incredible things that you're building and you're designing and you're creating.

到时候会像 iPhone 发布会一样,因为所有人都会关注,都会想看看你的作品。

And you're gonna, it's gonna be like the iPhone launch because everyone's gonna be paying attention and they're gonna, they're gonna want to see your work.

然后,嗯,你知道,我就是这样安慰她的,但我觉得这是真的。

And, uh, you know, that's how I try to cheer her up, but I think it's true.
M1
M1190:53

这确实是真的。

It is true.

而且作为一个好的伴侣,你也在尽力看到这整件事里积极的一面。

And you're doing your, your job as a good partner seeing the silver lining of all this.

那只是从你的观察来看,她在心理上是怎么撑过这一切、保持坚强的?

How is, uh, just from observing her, how did, uh, she, you know, stay strong through all of this psychologically?

因为至少我知道,她还在继续推进她的工作。

Because at least I know she's pushing ahead with the work.
M2
M2191:12

哦,她在工作上完全是全速前进。

Oh, she's full speed ahead in her work.

她组建了一支非常棒的团队。

She's built an amazing team.

她招了三十位科学家,嗯,还有 roboticists,还有生物学家、植物专家、材料科学家、工程师,真的是一支非常了不起的团队。

She's hired 30 scientists, um, roboticists, people who, uh, biologists, plant specialists, material scientists, engineers, really incredible crew.

她还在 New York City 建了一个三万六千平方英尺的实验室。

Uh, she's built this 36,000 square foot lab in New York City.

那是独一无二的。

That's a one of a kind.

现在你知道,他们已经在里面工作了。

It's still, you know, they're working out of it.

一边用,一边还在施工。

It's still under construction while they're working out of it.

所以她一定会做出非常了不起的事情。

And so she's going to do amazing things.

但就像我说的,她是一个非常敏感的人。

But as I said, she's an extremely sensitive person.

她是个完美主义者。

She's a perfectionist.

对吧。

Okay.

你想想看,如果你觉得全世界都认为你犯了 academic fraud。

Imagine thinking that the entire world thinks you committed academic fraud.

所以那对她来说非常难熬。

And so that was very hard for her.

她本来是个非常积极乐观的人,但我可以说,那绝对是我见过她情绪最黑暗的一段时期。

She's a very positive person, but I saw her in, I would say, her darkest emotional period for sure.

不过她现在已经好多了。

She's doing much better now.

但你是可能把一个人毁掉的。

But you can kill someone.

你毁掉一个人的名誉,是可能把人逼死的。

You can kill someone by destroying their reputation.

有人会自杀。

People commit suicide.

有人会陷入那种非常深、非常黑暗的抑郁。

People go into these deep, dark depressions.
M1
M1192:13

嗯,我当时看到 Business Insider 在做的那些事,我最主要的担心是,他们可能会让一位真正非常特别的科学家和创造者失去光芒。

Well, my worry primarily when I saw what Business Insider was doing is that they might dim the light of a truly special scientist and creator.
M2
M2192:28

这不会发生的。

It's not going to happen.
M1
M1192:30

但我也担心其他像 Neri 这样的人,年轻版的 Neri,这会给他们传递一个,呃,可能会吓到他们的信号。

But I also worry about others like Neri, young Neris, that this sends a signal to, um, that might scare them.

而且你知道,新闻业不应该把那些有志成为科学家的年轻人吓退。

And, you know, journalism shouldn't scare aspiring young scientists.
M2
M2192:46

问题在于,美国的诽谤法太偏向出版方、偏向媒体了,对受害者非常不利,而且整个激励机制全都是错的。

The problem is the defamation law in the US is so favorable to the publisher, to the media, and so unfavorable to the victim, and the incentives are all wrong.

当新闻业从纸媒转向数字化之后,你就能追踪有多少人点击,而这个媒体形态的经济模式又是广告驱动的,如果你能向广告主展示更多点击量,你就能赚更多钱。

When you went from paper version of journalism to digital and you could track how many people click, and it's a medium that advertising drives the economics, and if you can show an advertiser more clicks, you can make more money.

所以记者就会被激励去写那种能带来更多点击的报道。

So a journalist is incentivized to write a story that will generate more clicks.

那你怎么写出一篇能带来更多点击的报道呢?

How do you write a story that'll generate more clicks?

你找一个亿万富翁,行吧?

You get a billionaire guy, okay?

然后你去攻击他的妻子,编一个耸人听闻的故事,几乎不给他们任何回应时间,对吧?

And then you go after his wife and you make a sensationalist story and you give them no time to respond, right?

看看这里的时间点。

Look at the timing here.

第一篇报道,他们给了我们三个小时。

On the first story, they gave us 3 hours.

第二篇是在第二天,下午五点十九分,邮件发过来了,不是发给 Neri,也不是发给她的公司,而是发给我的公关人员,对方在五点半,也就是十分钟后,就联系到了我们。

On the second one, the following day, 5:19 PM, the email comes in, not to Neri, not to her firm, but to my communications person, who tracks us down by 5:30, 10 minutes later.
M1
M1193:50

对。

Right.
M2
M2193:51

结果九十二分钟后他们就把报道发出来了,而且他们还跟我们说,我们会在我们的问询里把所有这些文件都抛出来。

And they published their story 92 minutes after, and they sent us, we're going to surface all these documents in our demand.

你去看看他们发来的那封邮件,你看你能不能看明白。

Read the email they sent, whether you could even decipher it.

这事吧,根本没有——顺便说一句,这也是为什么学术机构在教授被指控抄袭的时候,会有那种非常谨慎、分很多阶段的流程,而且可能要花一年甚至更久,因为这里面取决于意图。

It's, you know, it's, there was no, and by the way, there's a reason why academic institutions, when a professor's accused of plagiarism, why they have these very careful processes with multiple stages and they can take a year or more because it depends on intent.

这是不是故意的?

Was this intentional?

要构成一种罪,学术上的罪,你得证明他们是故意偷窃的。

In order to be a crime, an academic crime, you got to prove that they intentionally stole.

你看,有些案例很明显,有些案例非常微妙,而他们对这种事是极其严肃对待的。

Look, in some cases it's obvious, in some cases it's very subtle, and they take this stuff super seriously.

但他们基本上就是在指控 Neri 犯了学术罪行,然后九十二分钟之后,他们就说她确实犯了学术罪行,而这本身就应该算一种犯罪,就应该受到惩罚。

But they basically accused Neri of academic crime, and then 92 minutes later they said she committed an academic crime, and that should be a crime, and that should be punishable.

要通过诉讼,而且必须让他们付出真正的代价。

With litigation, and there should be a real cost.

我们也会确保 Business Insider 和 Axel Springer 在名誉上以及其他方面都付出真正的代价,因为归根到底,你得看控股所有者。

And we're going to make sure there's a real cost reputationally and otherwise to Business Insider and to Axel Springer, because ultimately you got to look to the controlling owner.

他们是有责任的。

They're responsible.
M1
M1194:57

我只想说,在这件事上,你给我的感觉很受鼓舞,因为你面对的基本上是一个机构,而它存在的全部目的就是写文章。

I'll just say that you in this regard are inspiring to me for facing basically an institution that its whole purpose is to write articles.

所以你这是在往火里冲。

So you're going into the fire.
M2
M2195:18

我孩子学校的一句格言,或者说那种口号是,勇敢前行,毫无畏惧。

My kids' school, the epithet for the school or the saying is, go forth unafraid.

我觉得这是一种很好的生活方式。

I think it's a good way to live.

再说了,语言伤害不了我。

And again, words can't harm me.

X 的力量,而且我们确实得非常感谢 Elon,这一点就是——比如说,Washington Post 前几天写了一篇关于我的报道。

The power of X, and we do owe Elon enormous thanks for this, is now— so for example, the Washington Post wrote a story about me a couple days ago.
M1
M1195:41

嗯哼。

Mm-hmm.
M2
M2195:42

我觉得那篇报道并不公正。

And I didn't think the story was a fair story.

所以在那篇报道发出来之后的几个小时内,我就能针对那篇报道发出回应,然后把它发给一百二十万人。

So within a few hours of the story being written, I'm able to put out a response to the story and send it to 1,200,000 people.

而且大家会读,也会反复读。

And it gets read and reread.

我还没去查,不过大概有五百万人看到了我的回应。

I haven't checked, but probably 5 million people saw my response.

当然,这些都是 X 上的人。

Now, those are the people on X.

不是全世界所有人。

It's not everyone in the world.

X 的世界和线下世界之间是有脱节的。

There's a disconnection between the X world and the offline world.

但在我这个行业里,声誉基本上就是你所拥有的一切。

But reputation in my business is basically all you have.

就像人们常说的,你可能要花一辈子去建立声誉,但五分钟就可能让它消失。

And as they say, you can take a lifetime to build reputation and take 5 minutes to have it disappear.

而媒体在这里扮演着非常重要的角色,他们是可以毁掉一个人的。

And the media plays a very important role and they can destroy people.

至少现在我们有了一点反击的能力。

At least we now have some ability to fight back.

我们有一个平台,可以把我们的观点表达出来。

We have a platform, we can surface our views.

以前通常是这样,他们写一篇极其致命的文章,你指出其中的事实错误,然后两个月之后,他们在不知道第几版的某个角落里偷偷塞一个小小的更正。

The typical old days, they'd write an incredibly damning article and you point out factual errors, and then 2 months later they bury a little correction on page whatever.

到那时候,这个人可能已经被解雇了,或者人生被毁了,或者声誉已经受损了。

By then the person was fired or their life is destroyed or their reputation's damaged.

我之前和 Warren Buffett 聊过媒体这个话题,这是他非常喜欢的一个行业。

I was with Warren Buffett talking about media, a business he really loves.

他说,你知道吗,Bill?

He says, you know what, Bill?

他说,一个拿匕首的贼,唯一比他更能伤害你的人,就是一个拿着笔的记者。

He said, a thief with a dagger, the only person who can cause you more harm than a thief with a dagger is a journalist with a pen.

这句话很有力量。

And those were very powerful words.
M1
M1196:58

所以你觉得,X,也就是以前叫 Twitter 的那个平台,是一种能够中和这种力量的东西,能够中和那些中心化新闻机构的权力?

So you think X, formerly known as Twitter, is a kind of neutralizing force to that, to the power of centralized journalistic institutions?
M2
M2197:08

百分之百。

100%.

而且我觉得这点非常重要。

And I think it's a really important one.

看到主流媒体是怎么报道这些事情的,真的让我大开眼界。

And it's really been eye-opening for me to see how stories get covered in mainstream media.

然后我在 X 上做的事情,就是去关注一个议题上立场不同的多方。

And then what I do on X is I follow people on multiple sides of an issue.

或者我会就某个话题发帖,然后我就能听到另一边的声音。

Or I post on a topic and I get to hear the other side.

我会看那些回复。

I read the replies.

而所谓真相,这件事这些年一直让很多人产生疑问,尤其是我会说,在过去这五年里,差不多是从 Trump 开始谈 fake news 的时候开始的。

And the truth is something that people have had a lot of question about, particularly in the last, I would say, 5 years, beginning with Trump talking about fake news.

而且 Trump 说的很多关于 fake news 的话,确实是真的。

And a lot of what Trump said about fake news is true.

世界上有很大一部分人恨 Trump,也想尽一切办法去抹黑他、毁掉他。

A big part of the world hated Trump, and did everything they could to discredit him, destroy him.

当然,他也确实做过不少事,某种程度上也许是活该被人质疑、被人抹黑。

And he did a lot of things perhaps deserving of being discredited.

他是个很不完美的领导人,有些情况下甚至是有害的。

He was a very imperfect, in some cases harmful leader.

但是从大选前的那些事开始,比如 New York Post 关于 Hunter Biden laptop 的报道,后来 Twitter 还让这件事很难被人分享、很难被人读到。

But everything from pre-election, the Hunter Biden laptop story in the New York Post that then Twitter made difficult for people to share and to read.

还有 COVID,像 Jay Bhattacharya 这样的人在质疑政府的应对方式,质疑长期封控,质疑不让孩子去学校,质疑口罩,质疑疫苗。

COVID, the Jay Bhattacharyas of the world questioning the government's response, questioning long-term lockdowns, questioning keeping kids out of school, questions about masks, about vaccines.

而这些问题到现在也都还没有得到明确的定论;当政府可以封掉言论自由的渠道,而主流媒体在很多方面又基本上是在配合政府行动的时候,就没有什么力量能去制衡政府的权力。

Which are still not definitively answered, no counterbalance to the power of the government when the government can shut down avenues for free speech and where the mainstream media has kind of toed the line in many extents to the government's actions.

所以,拥有一个独立持有、而且有影响力的平台,对追求真相、对言论自由、对听到事情的另一面、对制衡政府权力,都非常重要。

So having an independently owned powerful platform is very important for truth, for free speech, for hearing the other side of the story, for counterbalancing the power of the government.

Elon 现在也正在承受很多阻力。

Elon is getting a lot of pushback.

像 SpaceX 和 Tesla 这样的公司,也正在面对很多来自政府的质询和调查。

The SpaceXes and Teslas of the world are experiencing a lot of government questions and investigations.

甚至连美国总统都公开出来说了,你看,他需要被调查。

And even the President of the United States came out and said, look, he needs to be investigated.

我自己也在经历某种类似的情况,比如一些负面的媒体报道。

I'm getting my own version of that in terms of some negative media articles.

我不知道接下来还会发生什么。

I don't know what's next.

但对,如果你在今天这个世界里敢站出来,敢跟 establishment 对着干,或者至少敢跟现任政府对着干,你就可能会发现自己处在一个非常艰难的处境里。

But yeah, if you stick your neck out in today's world and you go against the establishment, or at least the existing administration, you can find yourself in a very challenged place.

而这会让人不敢去分享东西。

And that discourages people from sharing stuff.

这也就是为什么匿名言论很重要,Twitter 上就有一部分这样的内容。

And that's why anonymous speech is important, some of which you find on Twitter.
M1
M1199:55

你刚才提到了 Trump。

You mentioned Trump.

我得跟你聊聊政治。

I have to talk to you about politics.
M2
M2199:58

当然。

Sure.
M1
M1199:59

在所有其他那些战斗之外,你也参与了这场。

Amongst all the other battles, you've also been a part of that one.

也许你可以纠正我,但这些年来,你一直都很支持不同的 Democratic 候选人。

Maybe you can correct me on this, but you've been a big supporter of various Democratic candidates over the years.

但我记得你在二零一六年也说过很多关于 Donald Trump 的好话。

But you did say a lot of nice things about Donald Trump in 2016, I believe.
M2
M2200:18

是这样,我是在 Trump 赢得大选一周后接受 Andrew Sorkin 采访的。

So I was interviewed by Andrew Sorkin a week after Trump won the election.
M1
M1200:21

对。

Yes.
M2
M2200:22

当时我讲了我的理由,为什么我觉得他可能会成为一个好总统。

And I made my case for why I thought he could be a good president.
M1
M1200:25

对。

Yes.

那你当时的理由是什么?后来哪些判断被证明是对的,哪些又不是?

So what was the case back then, and to which degree did that turn out to be true, and to which degree did it not?

他在哪些方面算是个好总统?

To which degree was he a good president?

他又在哪些方面不是个好总统?

To which degree was he not a good president?
M2
M2200:36

你看,我记得我当时说的是,美国其实本身就是一家非常巨大的 business。

Look, I think what I said at the time was the United States is actually a huge business.

这让我有点想到我们这些年来做过的那类 activist investments,就是那种本来非常非常好的企业,后来有点迷失方向了。

And it reminds me a bit of the type of activist investments we've taken on over time, where this really, really great business has kind of lost its way.

但只要有合适的领导层,我们就能把它纠正过来。

And with the right leadership, we can fix it.

如果你看看今天这个美国这门生意,对吧,美国现在背着三十二万亿美元的债。

And if you think about the business of the United States today, right, you've got $32 trillion worth of debt.

所以它杠杆太高了,或者说负债非常重,而且杠杆还在继续上升。

So it's overleveraged, or it's highly leveraged and the leverage is only increasing.

我们在亏钱,也就是说,收入覆盖不了支出。

We're losing money, i.e., revenues aren't covering expenses.

随着利率上升,而且这些债务还得不断展期,我们的债务成本也在上升。

The cost of our debt is going up as interest rates have gone up and the debt has to be rolled over.

我们这个国家有非常严重的行政臃肿。

We have enormous administrative bloat in the country.

监管体系极其复杂、负担很重,而且正在阻碍增长。

The regulatory regime is incredibly complicated and burdensome and impeding growth.

我们和竞争国家、以及和友好国家之间的关系,都远远谈不上理想。

Our relations with our competitor nations and our friendly nations are far from ideal.

而这些情况在二零二零年其实也都存在。

And those conditions were present in 2020 as well.

只是我会说,现在更严重了。

They're just, I would say, worse now.

我当时说,你看,我们有一个 businessman 当总统,这是一件很好的事。

And I said, look, it's a great thing that we have a businessman as president.

而且在我这一生里,这真的算是第一个 businessman,而不是——我的意思是,也许 Bush 在某种程度上也算是个 business person,但我当时想,好吧,我一直都希望由 CEO 来当 America 的 CEO,现在我们有 Trump 了。

And in my lifetime, it's really the first businessman as opposed to—I mean, maybe Bush to some degree was a business person, but I thought, okay, I always wanted the CEO to be CEO of America, and now we have Trump.

我说,你看,他身上有些个人特质看起来不那么理想,但他会成为美国总统。

I said, look, he's got some personal qualities that seem less ideal, but he's going to be president of the United States.

他会在这个位置上承担起责任。

He's going to rise to the occasion.

这会成为他的历史遗产。

This is going to be his legacy.

他懂得怎么谈 deal,而且我也希望,他会为他的政府团队招募一些非常优秀的人。

He knows how to make deals, and he's going to recruit some great people into his administration, I hoped.

增长能解决我们很多问题。

Growth can solve a lot of our problems.

所以如果我们能去掉一大堆拖累这个国家的监管。

So if we can get rid of a bunch of regulations that are holding back the country.

我们就能有一位总统——我会说,Obama 不是一位 pro-business 的总统。

We can have a president—Obama was, I would say, not a pro-business president.

他并不喜欢商业界。

He did not love the business community.

他也并不喜欢成功的人。

He did not love successful people.

如果有一位总统,哪怕只是把整体调子转向支持商业、成为一位 pro-business 的总统,我觉得这都会对国家有好处。

Having a president who just changed the tone on being a pro-business president, I thought, would be good for the country.

这基本就是我当时说的话。

That's basically what I said.

我会说,Trump 确实做了很多好事。

I would say Trump did a lot of good things.

而且很多人会因为你承认这一点而批评你。

And a lot of people, you can get criticized for acknowledging that.

但我认为,这个国家的经济确实大幅加速了。

But I think the country's economy accelerated dramatically.

顺便说一句,capitalist system 在整个系统运转良好、经济表现良好的时候,对底层民众的帮助其实是最大的。

And that, by the way, the capitalist system helps the people at the bottom best when the system does well and when the economy does well.

Trump 当总统的时候,Black 的失业率降到了历史最低。

The Black unemployment rate was the lowest in history when Trump was president.

其他少数族裔群体也是这样。

And that's true for other minority groups.

所以他对经济是有好处的。

So he was good for the economy.

而且他很早就意识到了 China 的一些挑战、问题和威胁。

And he recognized some of the challenges and issues and threats of China early.

他某种程度上把 NATO 给叫醒了。

He kind of woke up NATO.

当然,再说一次,他做这些事的方式你是可以反对的,但事实上,Trump 上任初期,NATO 的确因为他的威胁开始在国防上花更多钱,而考虑到后来的 Russia-Ukraine war,这最终被证明是件好事。

Now again, the way he did all of this stuff you can object to, but NATO actually started spending more money on defense in the early part of Trump's presidency because of his threats, which turned out to be a good thing in light of, ultimately, the Russia-Ukraine war.

我觉得如果你基于政策、客观地分析 Trump,他确实为这个国家做了很多好事。

And I think if you analyze Trump objectively based on policies, he did a lot of good for the country.

我觉得不好的地方是,他也造成了一些伤害。

I think what's bad is he did some harm as well.

我确实觉得,Trump 当总统之后,America 的文明礼貌消失了很多。

I do think civility disappeared in America with Trump as president.

这里面很大一部分是他的个人风格造成的。

A lot of that's his personal style.

那文明礼貌到底有多重要呢?

And how important is civility?

我确实觉得这很重要。

I do think it's important.

我也确实觉得,他受到了左派和媒体非常激烈的攻击,这让他变得很多疑。

I do think he was attacked very aggressively by the left, by the media, that made him paranoid.

这很可能影响了他取得成功的能力。

It probably interfered with his ability to be successful.

他一直笼罩在 Russian collusion investigation 的阴影之下。

He had the Russian collusion investigation overhang.

而当一个人受到攻击时,他是没办法发挥出最好状态的,尤其是在他本来就很多疑的情况下。

And when someone's attacked, they're not going to be at their best, particularly if they're paranoid.

我觉得这里面确实有一部分这个因素。

I think there's some degree of that.

不过我现在算是在尽量帮 Trump 做最有利的辩护。

But I'm giving kind of the best defense of Trump.

你就看看他是怎么管理自己团队的。

Just you look at how he managed his team.

在 Trump 政府里,几乎没几个人能一路待下来而不被解雇或者自己辞职。

Very few people made it through the Trump administration without getting fired or quitting.

而且他在雇人的时候会说对方是世界上最伟大的人,等到把人炒掉的时候,又会说对方完全是一场灾难。

And he would say they're the greatest person in the world when he hired them and they're a total disaster when he fired them.

这种做领导的方式并不鼓舞人心,也很难吸引真正有才华的人。

It's not an inspiring way to be a leader and to attract really talented people.

我觉得围绕那次选举发生的那些事,还有 January 6th,那场骚乱本来他是可以做更多来阻止的。

I think the events surrounding the election, I think January 6th, he could have done a lot more to stop a riot.

我不认为那是 insurrection,但那确实是在我们国会大厦发生的一场骚乱,而且还有警察在其中被杀、死亡、自杀,或者在试图履行职责时没能撑下来。

I don't consider it an insurrection, but a riot that takes place in our Capitol and where police officers are killed or die, commit suicide, or fail as they sought to do their job.

他介入制止这件事,实在是太晚了。

He stepped in way too late to stop that.

他本来可以更早把它制止住。

He could have stopped it early.

我觉得他说过的很多话,激励了一些人——其中有些人本来就怀有恶意——走进去造成伤害,甚至真的想让政府停摆。

Many of his words, I think, inspired people, some of whom with malintent, to go in there and cause harm and literally to shut down the government.

很遗憾,那里确实有一些邪恶的人。

There were some evil people, unfortunately, there.

所以他一直都是一位非常不完美的总统,而且我也觉得,他加剧了我们国家极其严重的分裂。

So he's been a very imperfect president and also I think contributed to the extreme amount of divisiveness in our country.

所以最后让我失望的是,那种乐观的基调没有延续下去。

So I was ultimately disappointed by the note of optimism.

不过再说一次,我一直都会支持总统。

And again, I always support the president.

我相信人民最终会选出我们的下一位领导人。

I trust the people ultimately to select our next leader.

这有点像《Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?》那个节目。

It's a bit like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?

当你求助现场观众,然后观众都给出某个答案的时候,

When you go to the crowd and the crowd says a certain thing.

你就得相信观众。

You got to trust the crowd.

不过通常在《Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?》里,答案都会明显地倒向某一边,所以你就知道该选哪个字母。

But usually in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, it's a landslide in one direction, so you know which letter to pick.

但这里我们面对的是一场势均力敌到惊人的选举,这本身就是个问题。

Here we had an incredibly close election, which itself is a problem.

所以我的理想——而且我最近这段时间也稍微参与了一点政治——就是支持一些 Trump 之外的替代人选,这样我们才能有一位总统。

So my dream and what I've tried a little bit, played politics in the last little period to support some alternatives to Trump so that we have a president.

我经常举个例子,想象一下,你早上醒来,到了选举日,不管是哪一天,比如二零二四年十一月四号之类的,结果你还是没想好要投给谁,因为候选人都太有吸引力了,你根本不知道该拉哪个杆,因为这真的是个很难的选择。

I use the example, imagine you woke up in the morning, it's election day, whenever it is, this November 4th, whatever, 2024, and you still haven't figured out who to vote for because the candidates are so appealing that you don't know which lever to pull because it's a tough call.

这才应该是我们美国人要做出的那种选择。

That's the choice we should be making as Americans.

不应该变成,我是这个党的,所以我只会这么投。

It shouldn't be, I'm a member of this party and I'm only going to vote this way.

或者我是那个党的,我就要反着投,而且我还恨另一边。

I'm a member of that party, I'm going to vote the other way, and I hate the other side.

很遗憾,这就是我们太长时间以来一直所处的状态。

And that's where we've been unfortunately for too long.
M1
M1206:39

或者你也可能会纠结,是因为两个候选人都不怎么样。

Or you might be torn because both candidates are not good.
M2
M2206:43

对。

Yeah.
M1
M1206:43

所以你会想——我很期待那样一个未来:我之所以纠结,是因为选择都太棒了。

So you want to—I love a future where I'm torn because the choices are so amazing.
M2
M2206:50

问题在于,政党体系已经乱得一塌糊涂了,而这些政党都是出于自身利益,另外这也是个治理问题,是个激励机制的问题。

The problem is the party system is so screwed up and the parties are self-interested and there's another governance problem, an incentive problem.

Michael Porter,我在 Harvard Business School 的一位教授,写过一篇非常精彩的文章,讲美国政治体系、各种激励机制、市场动态,以及他所谓的竞争分析。

Michael Porter, who was one of my professors at Harvard Business School, wrote a brilliant piece on the American political system and all the incentives and market dynamics and what he called a competitive analysis.

那篇文章绝对值得一读。

And it's a must-read.

我应该把它找出来发到 X 上让大家看看,因为那篇文章解释了这些政党,以及这些能够自我维持的实体背后的激励机制——参与其中的人,其实并没有动力去做对国家最有利的事。

I should dig it up and send it around on X, but it explains how the parties and the incentives of these sort of self-sustaining entities where the people involved are not incentivized to do what's best for the country.

这是个问题。

It's a problem.
M1
M1207:30

你一直支持 Dean Phillips 参加二零二四年美国总统选举。

You've been a supporter of Dean Phillips for the 2024 US presidential race.
M2
M2207:36

对。

Yes.
M1
M1207:36

你欣赏 Dean 的哪些地方?

What do you like about Dean?
M2
M2207:39

我觉得他是个诚实、聪明、有动力、有能力,而且已经证明过自己的商业领袖型人物。

I think he's an honest, smart, motivated, capable, proven guy as a business leader.

而且我觉得,在他三届 Congress 任内,他是在 Trump 当选时决定参选的。

And I think in his three terms in Congress, he ran when Trump was elected.

他说,当时他的孩子哭了,他的女儿们哭了,这激励了他出来竞选公职。

He said his kids cried, his daughters cried, inspired him to run for office.

他是在 Minnesota 一个过去六十年一直由 Republican 占据的选区参选的。

Ran in a Republican district in Minnesota for the last 60 years.

他以压倒性优势当选,之后又连任了两次,在 Congress 里不断晋升,受到其他国会议员的尊重,在 COVID 期间推动了一些重要立法,还在多个外交政策委员会担任高级职务。

Was elected in a landslide, has been reelected twice, moved up the ranks in Congress, respected by his fellow members of Congress, advanced some important legislation during COVID, senior roles on various foreign policy committees.

他是中间派,而且我记得他被认为是 Congress 里两党合作程度第二高的议员。

Centrist, considered I think the second most bipartisan member of Congress.

我很希望能有一位两党合作型的总统。

I'd love to have a bipartisan president.

我觉得这才是继续往前走的唯一办法。

That's the only way to kind of go forward.

但如果我们有一位总统,制定政策是基于什么对国家最有利,而不是基于他所在政党想要什么,那我们会大大受益。

But we'd enormously benefit if we had a president that chose policies on the basis of what's best for the country as opposed to what his party wanted.

我喜欢他的一点是,他在经济上是独立的。

What I like about him is he's financially independent.

他不是 billionaire,但他不需要这份工作。

He's not a billionaire, but he doesn't need the job.

现在党内很讨厌他,因为他挑战了 king。

The party hates him now because he challenged the king.

但他愿意放弃自己的政治生涯,因为他认为那样做对国家最好。

But he's willing to give up his political career because what he thought was best for the country.

他试着去劝其他一些知名度更高、名气更大的人出来参选。

He tried to get other people to run who were higher profile, had more name recognition.

但没人愿意。

None would.

如果还想继续留在位子上,或者将来还想参选,就没人想去挑战 Biden。

No one wants to challenge Biden if they want to have a chance to stay in office or run in the future.

但他是个非常有原则的人。

But he's very principled.

我觉得他会是一位很棒的总统。

I think he would be a great president.

但他需要——他的机会在 Michigan,不过他得筹钱,因为——他只剩几周时间了,而且他得在那里上电视。

But he needs—his shot is Michigan, but he needs to raise money in order to—he's only got a couple weeks and he's got to be on TV there.

那很花钱。

That's expensive.

所以我们再看看吧。

So we'll see.
M1
M1209:24

所以他得提高知名度,诸如此类的这些事。

So he has to increase name recognition, all that kind of stuff.

还有,我们也该提一下,他很年轻。

Also, we should mention he's young.
M2
M2209:28

对,他五十五岁,不过是那种很年轻状态的五十五岁。

Yeah, he's 55, but he's a young 55.

你看他打 hockey 就知道了。

You see him play hockey.
M1
M1209:32

对。

Yeah.

我是说,我觉得五十五岁不管怎么说,其实都算相当年轻。

I mean, I guess 55, no matter what, is a pretty young age.
M2
M2209:35

我五十七岁。

I'm 57.

我觉得自己很年轻。

I feel young.

我现在做的引体向上比我小时候还多。

I can do more pull-ups today than I could as a kid.

所以如果那也算一个标准的话——

So if that's a standard—.
M1
M1209:42

你的 tennis 水平正处在巅峰。

You're at the top of your tennis game.
M2
M2209:44

我的 tennis 水平确实是在巅峰,毫无疑问。

I'm at the top of my tennis game, for sure.
M1
M1209:46

也许会有人不同意这个说法。

Maybe there's someone that would disagree with that.
M2
M2209:48

顺便说一句,这里还有一点要指出,我一直在说,别人也在说,Biden,我觉得,已经不行了。

And by the way, the other thing to point out here is, and I have been pointing this out, as have others, Biden, I think, is done.

我是说,这太难堪了。

I mean, it's embarrassing.

让他做总统候选人,对这个国家来说都已经很难堪了,更别说让他当这个国家的总统。

It's embarrassing for the country having him as a presidential candidate, let alone the president of the country.

这太疯狂了。

It's crazy.

而且情况只会越来越糟。

And it's just going to get worse and worse.

而且他本来就应该——他留下的最糟糕的遗产,就是他的自负,让他没法主动让位。

And he should— the worst of his legacy is his ego that prevents him from stepping aside.

就是这么回事。

And that's it.

就是他的自负。

It's his ego.

这真的太不对了,太糟了,也太丢人了。你去跟人聊,我前阵子在欧洲,几天前我还在 London,大家都在说,Bill,这样的人怎么会是你们的总统?

And it is so wrong and so bad and so embarrassing. You talk to people, I was in Europe, I was in London a few days ago, and people were like, Bill, how can this guy be your president?

这有点像——我还是回到商业上的类比——当 CEO 就像一项高强度身体对抗的运动。

And it's a bit like, again, I go back to my business analogy, being a CEO is like a full-contact sport.

而当 United States 的总统,就像是摔跤、马拉松、再加上铁人三项的某种混合体。

Being president of the United States is like some combination of wrestling, marathon running, being a triathlete.

我的意思是,你的身体状态必须得非常过硬。

I mean, you got to be in serious physical shape.

而且必须处在自己状态最巅峰的时候,才能代表这个国家。

And at the top of your game to represent this country.

而他离这个标准差得太远了,而且还越来越糟,真的很丢人。

And he is a far cry from that, and it's just getting worse, and it's embarrassing.

而且他不能再——顺便说一句,他每多等一天,就等于是在把这场选举拱手交给 Trump,因为对替代候选人来说,越往后越难冒出来。

And he cannot be— and by the way, every day he waits, he's handing the election to Trump because it's harder and harder for an alternative candidate to surface.

现在,Dean 是 Democratic 这边唯一一个还能够赢得 delegates 的候选人。

Now, Dean is the only candidate left on the Democratic side that can still win delegates.

他在四十二个州的选票上。

He's on the ballot in 42 states.
M1
M1211:12

哇。

Wow.
M2
M2211:14

而 Biden 最好的退场方式,就是让 Dean 在 Michigan 取得不错的表现。

And the best way for Biden to step aside is for Dean to show well in Michigan.
M1
M1211:19

所以你的意思是,你觉得靠 delegates 以及这类机制,还是有一条路可走的?

And so you think there is a path with the delegates and all that kind of stuff?
M2
M2211:22

百分之百。

100%.

所以接下来必须发生的是,在 New Hampshire,他在十周之内从零支持度涨到了百分之二十,而且当时几乎没有知名度。

So what has to happen is New Hampshire, he went from 0 to 20% of the vote in 10 weeks with no name recognition.

我帮了一点忙。

I helped a little bit.

Elon 也帮了。

Elon helped.

我们给他办了 Spaces。

We did Spaces for him.

那个 Spaces 里我们有三十五万人参加。

We had 350,000 people on the Spaces.

一开始现场大概有四万人左右,剩下的是之后进来的。

Some originally, 40,000 live or something, and then the rest after.

然后他本人也去了 New Hampshire 跑基层。

And then he was on the ground in New Hampshire.

而且 New Hampshire 是那种州之一,你不需要先注册某个党派,也能投这个候选人。

And New Hampshire is one of the states where you don't need to be registered to a party to vote for that candidate.

所以这就像是五五开的争球。

So it's like jump ball.

而他拿到了百分之二十。

And he got 20%.

而且那还是在很多 independents 和 Democrats 都去投 Haley 的情况下拿到的。

And that's with a lot of independents and Democrats voting for Haley.

Haley 这个人我挺喜欢,我也支持过她,但看起来她是走不到最后了。Trump 基本上算是在一路通吃。

Haley, who I like and who I've supported, does not look like she's going to make it. Trump is really kind of running the table.

所以如果你在 Michigan 作为 independent 去投 Haley,可能就等于把这一票浪费掉了。

And so vote for Haley as an independent in Michigan, maybe throw away your vote.

我觉得这会提高 Dean 拿到那些独立选民选票的可能性。

I think it increases the likelihood that Dean can get those independent votes.

理论上说,他还是有可能的——当然,他需要钱——他有可能在 Michigan 击败 Biden。

He could theoretically, again, he needs money, he could beat Biden in Michigan.

Biden 在 Michigan 的表现非常差。

Biden's doing very poorly in Michigan.

他的民调糟透了。

His polls are terrible.

穆斯林社群对他很不满意。

The Muslim community is not happy with him.

而且他确实几乎没在那儿花什么时间。

He really has spent no time there.

所以如果他在 Michigan 丢了脸,这可能会成为他退选的催化剂。

And so if he's embarrassed in Michigan, it could be a catalyst for him withdrawing.

那样的话,Dean 就会拿到资金支持。

Then Dean will get funding.

如果他赢下 Michigan,或者在 Michigan 表现很好,让大家觉得他是有胜算的,说他是我们唯一的选择,那他就会吸引中间派。

If he wins Michigan or shows well in Michigan and people say he's viable, he's the only choice we have, he'll attract from the center.

他还会吸引那些不会投 Trump 的共和党人,而这部分人占比很大,可能有百分之六十甚至更多。

He'll attract from people, Republicans who won't vote for Trump, which they're a big percentage, could be 60% or more.

也可能有百分之七十的人不会投 Trump。

It could be 70% won't vote for Trump.

还有一部分会来自民主党。

And also from the Democrats.

所以我觉得他是个非常有意思的候选人,但我们得把这个消息传出去。

So I think he's a really interesting candidate, but we got to get the word out.
M1
M1213:01

对,我有机会和 Dean 聊了聊。

Yeah, I got a chance to chat with Dean.

我真的很喜欢他。

I really like him.

我真的很喜欢他。

I really like him.

而且我觉得,下一任美国总统将不得不定期会见并且和 Zelensky、Putin、Netanyahu 以及其他世界领导人交谈,还要进行一些最具历史意义的对话、协议和谈判。

And I think the next president of the United States is going to have to meet and speak regularly with Zelensky, Putin, Netanyahu, with world leaders, and have some of the most historic conversations, agreements, negotiations.

而我就是看不出来 Biden 能做到这些。

And I just don't see Biden doing that.
M2
M2213:25

对。

No.
M1
M1213:26

也不是因为别的原因,只是很遗憾,是年龄。

And not for any reason, but sadly, age.

对。

Yeah.
M2
M2213:31

我的意思是,你这么想。

I mean, think about it this way.

Biden 现在是总统,你也看到了他最近那场临时记者会,那是在特别检察官报告出来之后开的,那个报告基本上等于是在说,这个人早就过了巅峰状态。

When Biden's president now, you saw his recent impromptu press conference, which he did after the special prosecutor report basically saying the guy was way past his prime.

然后他还把 Mexico 的总统和 Egypt 的总统给搞混了。

And then he confused the president of Mexico and the president of Egypt.

所以他们每次让他出面都非常小心,而且他说的都是照着稿子来的,永远是在讲台前念稿。

So they're very careful when they roll him out, and he's scripted, and he's always reading from a lectern.

你想想看,他们在让他曝光这件事上有多么小心,而每次一曝光,效果都很糟。

Imagine the care they have in exposing him, and when they expose him, it's terrible.

好,那你想象一下,真实情况得有多糟。

Okay, imagine how bad it is for real.

真的不妙。

It's not good.

不,是真的对美国很糟。

No, really bad for America.

我对他很不满,我对他的家人也很不满。

And I'm upset with him, and I'm upset with his family.

我对他妻子很不满。

I'm upset with his wife.

这种时候,离你最近的人就应该抱住你,跟你说,爸爸,亲爱的,你已经做了你该做的事了。

This is the time where the people closest to you have to put their arms around you and say, Dad, Honey, you've done your thing.

这会成为你的历史定位,而且不会是什么好的定位。

This is going to be your legacy and it's not going to be a good one.
M1
M1214:24

伟大的领导者也应该知道什么时候该退下来。

Great leaders should also know when to step down.
M2
M2214:27

对。

Yeah.

衡量一个领导者最好的测试之一,就是他怎么做接班规划。

One of the best tests of a leader is succession planning.

这就是接班规划上的一次巨大失败。

This is a massive failure of succession planning.
M1
M1214:34

先不谈政治,让我先从金融世界、从未来的角度来看。

Outside of politics, let me look to the future first in terms of the financial world.

你对接下来这几年最期待什么?

What are you looking forward to in the next couple of years?

你有一只新基金。

You have a new fund.

比如说,从投资、你自己的布局、整个经济,甚至世界经济来看,你在想些什么?

Like, what are you thinking about in terms of investment, your own and the entire economy, and maybe even the economy of the world?
M2
M2215:00

当然。

Sure.

SEC不允许——也不喜欢——我们去谈我们正在推出、而且已经向SEC提交备案的新基金。

So the SEC doesn't allow, doesn't like us to talk about new funds that we're launching that we've filed with the SEC.
M1
M1215:08

明白。

Sure.
M2
M2215:09

不过我想说的是——顺便说一句,如果有人对基金感兴趣,一定要仔细阅读招股说明书,包括里面的风险因素。

But I would say I do—and by the way, if anyone's ever interested in a fund, they should always read the prospectus carefully, including the risk factors.

这一点非常非常重要。

That's very, very important.

但我很认同这样一个想法,就是让更多人都能接触到优秀投资人的机会。

But I like the idea of democratizing access to good investors.

我觉得这是个很有意思的趋势,所以我们想成为这个趋势的一部分。

I think that's an interesting trend, so we want to be part of that trend.

至于整体金融市场和经济,很多都将取决于这个国家的下一任领导人。

In terms of financial markets generally, the economy, a lot of it is going to depend upon the next leader of the country.

所以我们又回到这个问题上了。

So we're kind of right back there.

美国的领导层对美国经济很重要。

The leadership of the United States is important for the US economy.

对全球经济也很重要。

It's important for the global economy.

对全球和平也很重要。

It's important for global peace.

而我们已经经历了一段非常艰难的时期,现在是时候了。

And we've gone through a really difficult period and it's time.

我们需要喘口气。

We need a break.

不过你看,我认为美国是一个韧性极强的国家。

But look, I think the United States is an incredibly resilient country.

我们有一些非常强大的护城河。

We have some incredible moats.

其中包括,我们有大西洋和太平洋,而且我们的北边和南边都是和平的邻国。

Among them, we have the Atlantic and the Pacific, and we have peaceful neighbors to the north and the south.

我们是一个极其富有的国家。

We're an enormously rich country.

Capitalism在这里依然运转得很有效。

Capitalism still works effectively here.

我每次跟我的朋友聊天的时候——他们要么是 venture capitalists,要么就是我这个爱好里会支持的那些年轻创业者——我就会对这个世界变得更乐观。

I get optimistic about the world when I talk to my friends who are either venture capitalists or my hobby of backing these young entrepreneurs.

如果你想对这个世界更乐观,就去跟一个 startup 的 founder 聊聊。

Talk to a founder of a startup if you want to get optimistic about the world.

所以我觉得 technology 会拯救我们。

So I think technology is going to save us.

我觉得 AI 当然也有那种很吓人的、像 Terminator 一样的情景,但我的看法正好相反:它会极大地提升生产力、推动科学发现、推动药物研发,而且会让我们更健康、更快乐、也更好。

I think AI, of course, has its frightening Terminator-like scenarios, but I'm going to take the opposite view that this is going to be a huge enabler of productivity, scientific discovery, drug discovery, and it's going to make us healthier, happier, and better.

所以我确实觉得,internet revolution 带来了很多好处,当然也明显有一些坏处。

So I do think the internet revolution had a lot of good, obviously some bad.

我觉得 AI revolution 也会很类似,但我们现在正处在世界和 technology 发展的另一个非常有意思的关口上,我们必须得把它用在对我们有利的地方。

I think the AI revolution's going to be similar, but we're at this other really interesting juncture in the world with technology, and we're going to have to use it for our good.

说到媒体这边,我对 X 很高兴,我也觉得 Elon 会在这件事上成功。

On the media front, I'm happy about X, and I think Elon's going to be successful here.

我觉得 advertisers 会意识到,这真的是一个非常好的平台。

I think advertisers will realize it's a really good platform.

如果你想卖东西给我,接触到我最好的方式就是发 post。

The best way to reach me, if you want to sell something to me, is post.

我其实还真在 X 上点过一些广告买过东西。我都不记得上一次我对 direct response advertising 有反应是什么时候了。

I've actually bought stuff on some ads on X. I don't remember the last time I responded to direct response advertising.

就我的业务来说,我有一个非常厉害的团队。

In terms of my business, I have an incredible team.

而且规模很小。

It's tiny.

按我们管理的资产规模来比,我们是最精简的 firm 之一。

We're one of the smallest firms relative to the assets we manage.

这有点像 Navy SEALs,不是 US Army。

It's a bit like the Navy SEALs, not the US Army.

我们在 Pershing Square 只有四十个人。

We have only 40 people at Pershing Square.

所以这是一个非常紧密的小团队。

So it's a tight team.

我觉得我们会做成很多了不起的事情。

I think we'll do great things.

我觉得我们现在还在比较早期的阶段。

I think we're early on.

说到我在投资上的抱负,我一直都说,我希望能有一个跟 Warren Buffett 一样好的业绩记录。

My ambitions investment-wise, I've always said I'd like to have a record as good as Warren Buffett's.

问题是,他每年还会再多加上一年。

The problem is each year he adds on another year.

他现在已经到第九十三个年头了。

He's now in his 93rd year.

所以我还得再有三十六年。

So I've got 36 more years.

才能只是达到他现在的位置。

To just get where he is.

而且我觉得他还会继续再增加很多年。

And I think he's going to add a lot more years.

我很期待看看 Neri 会做出什么。

I'm excited about seeing what Neri's going to produce.

她正在打造一家非常了不起的公司。

She's building an incredible company.

他们在努力解决很多问题,涉及产品、建筑,以及它们对环境的影响。

They're trying to solve a lot of problems with respect to products and buildings and their impact on the environment.

她的愿景是:我们怎么去设计产品,让这个产品光是因为它存在,世界就会变得更好?

Her vision is how do we design products that by virtue of the product's existence, the world is a better place?

在她现在的世界里,一辆新车的存在,对环境实际上比这辆新车根本不存在还要更好。

Today, her world is a world where the existence of the new car actually is better for the environment than if the new car hadn't existed.

而且你可以把这个思路放大到每一种产品上去想。

And think about that in every product scale.

这就是她正在做的事。

That's what she's working on.

我不想透露太多,不过你很快就会看到一些她正在做的早期例子。

I don't want to give away too much, but you're going to see some early examples of what she's working on.

所以,再说一次,我对未来很兴奋。

So again, I get excited about the future.

而且,某种程度上说,危机是很不该被浪费的东西。

And crises are sort of a terrible thing to waste.

而我们这里已经经历了好几次这样的事。

And we've had a number of these here.

我觉得,中东这场灾难,我的预测是,未来几个月,这场战争在清除 Hamas 这件事上,大体上会结束。

I think this disaster in the Middle East, my prediction is the next few months, this war will largely be over in terms of getting rid of Hamas.

我觉得我能想象这样一个世界:Saudi Arabia 和其他一些海湾国家一起出面,接管 Gaza 的治理和重建。

I think I can envision a world in which Saudi Arabia, some of the other Gulf states come together, take over the governance and reconstruction of Gaza.

安全保障会被建立起来。

Security guarantees are put in place.

Abraham Accords 会继续扩大。

The Abraham Accords continue to grow.

会达成一项协议。

A deal is made.

恐怖分子会被排斥、被孤立。

Terrorists are ostracized.

还有,这次十月七号之后发生在 Harvard、Penn、MIT、Columbia,以及很遗憾还有其他校园里的这些情况,会成为对大学整体的一次警钟。

That this October 7th experience on the Harvard, Penn, MIT, Columbia, unfortunately other campuses, is a wake-up call for universities generally.

人们会看到 DEI 的问题,同时也会理解多元和包容的重要性,但不是把它当成一种政治运动,而是把它当成一种回归 meritocracy 世界的方式——一个人的背景有助于理解他能带来什么贡献,但它不应该变成种族配额之类的东西;那些多年前就已经被判定为非法的做法,实际上却在校园里的各种组织中被执行。

People see the problems with DEI, but understand the importance of diversity and inclusion, but not as a political movement, but as a way that we return to a meritocratic world where someone's background is relevant in understanding their contribution, but it's not—we don't have race quotas and things that were made illegal years ago actually being implemented in organizations on campus.

所以我觉得,我们是可以经历一个纠偏阶段的。我是个乐观主义者,我希望我们能走到那一步。

So I think there's—we can go through a corrective phase, and I'm an optimist, and I hope we get there.
M1
M1219:55

所以你对整体还是有希望的,甚至包括 Harvard?

So you have hope for the entirety of it, even for Harvard?
M2
M2219:59

我甚至对 Harvard 也抱有希望。

I have hope even for Harvard.

通常来说,要打破一个存在了四百年的东西是很难的。

It's generally hard to break 400-year-old things.
M1
M1220:04

嗯,我和你一样抱有希望,而且你的思维非常迷人,也非常卓越,执着——用你喜欢说的话讲——而且无所畏惧。

Well, I share your hope, and you're a fascinating mind, a brilliant mind, persistent, as you like to say, and fearless.

无所畏惧这一点,真的很鼓舞人。

The fearless part is truly inspiring.

这也是一次非常精彩的对话。

And this was an incredible conversation.

谢谢你。

Thank you.

Bill,谢谢你今天来聊。

Thank you for talking today, Bill.
M2
M2220:20

谢谢你,Lex。

Thank you, Lex.
M1
M1220:22

感谢你收听这期和 Bill Ackman 的对话。

Thanks for listening to this conversation with Bill Ackman.
M1
M1220:29

现在,最后让我用 Jonathan Swift 的一句话送给你。

And now let me leave you with some words from Jonathan Swift.

一个聪明人应该把钱放在脑子里,而不是放在心里。

A wise person should have money in their head, but not in their heart.

感谢收听,希望下次再见。

Thank you for listening, and hope to see you next time.
已剔除 7 处广告(点击展开查看)
M1
M10:31广告 · 已剔除

And now a quick few-second mention of each sponsor.

Check them out in the description.

It's the best way to support this podcast.

We got LMNT for delicious electrolytes, Policygenius for insurance, AG1 for overall delicious health, Eight Sleep for naps, and BetterHelp for mental health.

Choose wisely, my friends.

M1
M10:58广告 · 已剔除

And now onto the full ad reads.

As always, no ads in the middle.

I try to make this interesting, but if you skip them, please still check out the sponsors.

We love them.

I love them.

Maybe you will love them too.

This episode is brought to you by LMNT, the thing I'm drinking right now, the thing I drink throughout the day, all days when I travel.

It is forever with me.

The only flavor I now acknowledge exists.

It's watermelon salt.

There's many other flavors, and other people say they're also delicious.

I don't know what they're saying.

They probably don't know what they're talking about, because the greatest flavor of all time is watermelon salt.

Do you ever just go to a thing, to a very particular flavor of a thing, and that becomes your thing?

There's never a doubt.

When you go to a particular restaurant, or you go into an ice cream shop, or you go to the grocery store aisle with the delicious snacks and you know exactly which snack you're getting.

I have that.

There's these chips that have very low carbs.

And there's a lot of different kinds.

But there's a particular kind I really like and a particular flavor.

But I'm not ready to reveal what the brand or the flavor is to maintain a sense of mystery about my life.

M1
M12:23广告 · 已剔除

Anyway, that's me with watermelon salt and LMNT.

It's delicious.

I have found the thing I need in my life, especially when I'm fasting or doing low-carb stuff.

Get a sample pack for free with any purchase.

Try it at drinklmnt.com/lex.

This episode is also brought to you by Policygenius, a marketplace for all kinds of insurance, life insurance, auto insurance, home insurance, disability insurance.

They have really nice tools for comparison.

This is the thing I need in my life for everything.

This is where the good aspect of capitalism can come in, where you have freely competing entities, honestly competing, transparent with full information available to the consumer where they get to choose and choose honestly based on a well-defined, clear, full set of parameters.

All right?

I love it.

I need that for other things I'm doing in my life.

I need that for everything.

In fact, going back to the other thing I mentioned, I need that for ice cream.

I need a full detailed comparison of the different flavors.

I also need data on who enjoyed which flavor throughout human history.

I'm not talking about just that ice cream shop, across all ice cream shops.

I want the data and I don't just want the mean or the median because that's going to end up on vanilla or chocolate, whatever.

I want like the clusters and I want to know which cluster I belong to.

I want the data.

Anyway, so the tools that allow you to explore the parameters are very important and that's what Policygenius provides.

With Policygenius, you can find life insurance policies that start at just $292 per year for $1 million of coverage.

Head to policygenius.com/lex or click the link in the description to get your free life insurance quotes and see how much you could save.

That's policygenius.com/lex.

This episode is also brought to you by AG1, an all-in-one daily drink that I drink to support better health and peak performance.

The degree to which I love AG1 and my very good close friend Andrew Huberman loves AG1 has become a meme.

And, you know, every meme is grounded in reality and truth.

And my truth is that it just brings me happiness.

You know, on days like I talk about in this episode where all I eat is some McDonald's beef patties, it just brings me both sort of physiological and psychological comfort knowing that I have at least some of the nutritional bases covered.

Meat does make me feel good, but your body probably needs a lot of other stuff, especially for long-term longevity and long-term health and flourishing.

But of course, in the long term, we're all driving towards the cliff, and one day too soon, we'll be driving off that cliff, hopefully with a smile.

And maybe on that day I will also be drinking AG1.

I drink it twice a day now.

It's actually one of my favorite ways to take a break.

I just sit on the couch and sip, listen to this peaceful kind of music, and, uh, just think, prepare my mind for the work ahead.

They'll give you a 1-month supply of fish oil when you sign up at drinkag1.com/lex.

This episode is also brought to you by Eight Sleep and its Pod 3 mattress.

It controls temperature with an app.

It can cool you down to as low as 55 degrees or as hot as 110 degrees.

But you're gonna need the next sponsor if you're the kind of person that puts it up to 110 degrees.

I have a lot of questions.

Next sponsor is BetterHelp, by the way.

110 degrees.

I just have questions.

I think I saw a social media post from Tim Kennedy saying, when you're alone—that guy's a poet.

Also, he's insane on the mat.

Anyway, he was posting, I think on Instagram, that when you're alone, the only correct temperature to exist in is 60 degrees, 58 degrees, something like this.

Basically, he likes it freezing.

And I can somewhat agree.

Especially on the surface of the bed.

Cold bed, warm blanket.

It's just the best way to take a nap.

I need to go see Tim.

Training jiu-jitsu with him is really fun, but he goes pretty intense.

That guy lives life on 11.

Anyway, check it out and get special savings when you go to eightsleep.com/lex.

This episode is brought to you by BetterHelp, spelled H-E-L-P, Help.

They figure out what you need and match you with a licensed therapist in under 48 hours.

Individuals or couples, it's easy, discreet, affordable, available anywhere.

Listen, this is the easiest way to start talking and start diving deep into the recesses of your subconscious mind.

I'm a huge fan of talk therapy, of talking, talking rigorously, talking like it's an important thing with a goal in mind, like you're digging for something.

That's what I try to do with this podcast.

That's what I try to do with conversations in my private life.

When I'm just sitting there at a coffee shop and a stranger sits down and says hello, I'm not a licensed therapist, neither is the other person.

We're just there for an open mic or music thing or whatever the hell.

We're amateur.

M2
M28:11广告 · 已剔除

Right.

M1
M18:12广告 · 已剔除

We're amateur therapists of each other.

Anyway, you should, you should work with professionals, and that's what BetterHelp provides.

The whole point is they make it easy.

Check them out at betterhelp.com/lex and save on your first month.

That's betterhelp.com/lex.

M1
M18:31广告 · 已剔除

To support it, please check out our sponsors in the description.

M1
M1220:25广告 · 已剔除

To support this podcast, please check out our sponsors in the description.