← 返回任务列表

Schooled: The Moth Podcast

64 段 · 2 位说话人 · 原片 4:59
F1
F10:01

而且她要去听他们读几样东西。

And she's going to hear them read a few things.
F2
F20:03

欢迎来到 The Moth。

Welcome to The Moth.

我是 Michelle Jalowski。

I'm Michelle Jalowski.

很不想带来坏消息,但夏天快要结束了。

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we're coming to the end of the summer.

我得说,这一切过得也太快了。

And I gotta say, it went by so fast.

前一天你还在庆祝夏至,转眼就该把书包收拾好,准备上学的第一天了。

One day you're celebrating the summer solstice, and the next it's time to pack up those book bags for the first day of school.

我已经很多年不是学生了,但我还是能非常真切地记得,新学年带来的那种忐忑和兴奋。

It's been many years since I've been a student, but I still viscerally remember the apprehension and excitement of a new school year.

新衣服,新活页夹和笔,还有一种新的一年、新的我这样的劲头。

New clothes, new binders and pens, a new year, new me attitude.

算下来,我在学校里待了大概 21 年。

All told, I've spent about 21 years in school.

这差不多是我人生的一半了,可老实说,我很难想起自己到底学到了什么具体的东西。

That's nearly half my life, but I'll be honest with you, I'm hard-pressed to remember anything concrete I learned.

行星的顺序,各州首府,线粒体是干什么的。

The order of the planets, state capitals, what the mitochondria does.

我知道我曾经是知道这些的,但现在可千万别来问我。

I know I knew these things at one point, but please don't try to ask me now.

好在对我来说,教育不只是书本知识而已。

Luckily for me, an education isn't just all about book learning.

这一集里,是一些我们在学校里和学校外学到的功课的故事。

On this episode, stories of the lessons we learned both in and out of school.

先来的是一个关于用一种完全独特的方式学字母表的故事。

First up is a story about learning the ABCs in a completely unique way.

Kathy Gesiorowicz 是在一个 Twin Cities StorySLAM 上讲的,当时的主题是书。

Kathy Gesiorowicz told this at a Twin Cities StorySLAM where the theme was books.

下面是 Kathy,在 The Moth 的现场。

Here's Kathy, live at The Moth.
F1
F11:11

我上 10 年级的时候,我们的英语老师给我们布置了一项作业,要做一个关于传播沟通的项目。

When I was in 10th grade, our English teacher gave us an assignment to do a project on communications.

范围很开放。

It was wide open.

你可以写论文,可以演一出戏,或者唱一首歌。

You could write a paper, you could perform a play or sing a song.

总之,当我吃饭时跟我爸妈说起这件事,我妈妈就说,嗯,为什么你和 Nina - Nina 是我姐姐 - 你们不自己做一本哑剧字母书呢?

Anyway, so when I told my parents about it over dinner, my mom said, well, why don't you and Nina - Nina's my older sister - why don't you guys make up your own mime alphabet book?

这主意,嗯,也还行。

Which was, was fine.

也不算是完全原创的点子。

It was not an altogether original idea.

Marcel Marceau 刚出了本哑剧字母书,不过,嘿,拿来当模板也行。

Marcel Marceau had just come out with a mime alphabet book, but hey, template.

而且我姐姐那会儿已经在 Minneapolis Urban Arts Program 上了一阵子的摄影课,我自己也刚开始上哑剧和舞蹈课。

And my sister had been taking photography classes through the Minneapolis Urban Arts Program for a bit, and I had just started taking mime and dance classes.

所以这其实真的是个很聪明的主意。

So it was actually a really brilliant idea.

只是 Nina 和我从来就没怎么在任何事情上达成过一致,至少自从我大概 10 岁、我们解散了 Man from U.N.C.L.E. 俱乐部之后,就没怎么一致过。

Except for the part that Nina and I hadn't really agreed on anything since, since I was probably 10 when we disbanded our Man from U.N.C.L.E. club.

所以那时候我 15 岁,她 17 岁。

So I was now 15, she was 17.

但她愿意。

But she was game.

她想做个项目,而我不想写论文。

She wanted to do a project and I didn't want to write a paper.

所以我们坐下来,列了个单子,嗯,我是说,那26个字母,不是都已经定好了嘛。

So we sat down and made a list of, well, I mean, the 26 letters, you know, were given.

但我们给每个字母都编了个词,结果惊人的是,我们几乎每一个都意见一致。

But we made up words that went with each of them and like shockingly agreed on nearly every one of them.

可能因为我们俩都来自同一个充满焦虑的家庭。

And probably because we both came from the same angst-ridden home.

所以 D 代表的就是 dying。

So D like was for dying.
F2
F22:49

恐惧。

Fear.

恐惧。

Fear.
F1
F12:50

恐惧。

Fear.

G 代表 guilty。

G was for guilty.

S 代表 spy。

S was for spy.

T 代表 trapped。

T was for trapped.

V 代表 vicious。

V was for vicious.

X 代表 xenophobia,这是 Nina 想出来的。

X was for xenophobia, which was Nina's idea.

所以几天后,我们下到地下室,在地下室地上铺了一张床单,我穿着黑色紧身连体衣和裤袜。

So we went down to the basement a couple of days later, put a sheet down on the basement floor, and I had my black leotard and tights on.

我化了点妆。

I put on some of my makeup.

然后在这面粉红色的灰泥墙前,Nina 一边拍照,我一边摆这些姿势。

And then against this pink stucco wall, Nina took pictures while I did these poses.

然后接下来的那个周末,我们在这个暗房里度过了两个神奇的日子。

And then the following weekend, we spent 2 magical days in this darkroom.

她弄到了一把钥匙,能进他们上课的那个地方。

She had gotten a key to the place where they were taking classes.

那两天,我是说,整个过程就是——她会冲洗胶卷,我们就能看到东西一点点活过来。

And for 2 days, I mean, it was— she would develop the film and we would, we would watch things kind of come to life.

然后,然后我们会冲洗照片,照片里这些黑色的部分就会慢慢显出来。

And then, and then we would develop pictures and then the blacks in these photos would just appear.

就在这些方形纸张上。

On these squares of paper.

我把它交给了我的英语课作业,结果得了 A。

And I turned it into my English class and I got an A.

不是想炫耀,但是——不过我得顺便说一句,那本书很糟,别人也没人愿意出版它。

Don't want to brag, but— But then one of the girls in my class, Robin, asked if she could borrow the book to show it to her next-door neighbor who happened to own his own children's literature publishing company.

但那时候我其实还没意识到这一点。

So she brought the book, the mime alphabet book, to him.

不过我就是觉得,这事没什么可商量的。

And then a couple of months later, we got a phone call that Lerner Publications wanted to publish our book.

总之。

And they were willing to offer us a flat fee of $300, no royalties.

当时跟我靠帮人看孩子赚的钱比起来,这数目看着还挺可观的。

Which at the time seemed impressive compared to what I was making babysitting.

而且再加上,我就顺便说一句吧,那本书其实很糟,别家出版社都不愿意出。

And plus, just— I'm going to just say it as an aside, it was a terrible book and nobody else would publish it.

但我那时候其实并没有真正意识到这一点。

But I didn't really realize that at the time.

不过我就是有种感觉,这事没得商量。

But I just had a sense that this was not negotiable.

总之。

Anyway.

但他们提了几个要求。

But they had a couple of requests.

我们得把其中几个字母改掉。

We had to change a couple of the letters.

C 原本代表 cannabis,你知道,这可是 1971 年。

C was for cannabis, which, this being, you know, 1971.

而 E 原本代表 Eve,那时候我就像是在羞愧地一边捂着我的阴毛和胸部,一边把视线从镜头上移开。

And E was for Eve, where I was like clutching my pubes and my breasts and looking away from the camera in shame.