← 返回任务列表

2010年股东大会 · 给年轻人的忠告:找到你的激情所在,然后一直坚持下去

42 段 · 2 位说话人 · 原片 4:03
M1
M10:00

Aristotle 被问到怎么定义财富的时候,很简单地回答说:财富就是花得比赚得少的人。

Aristotle, when asked how to define wealth, answered simply this: it is he who spends less than he earns.

像我这样的年轻创业者,如果想知道该怎么在自己的公司里定义财富、同时积累财富,而且我也希望将来能做出一家让你有兴趣收购的公司,你会给我什么建议?

What advice could you give a young entrepreneur as myself on how to go about defining and both building wealth within their own business, as I hope to build a business that one day you'd be interested in acquiring?
M2
M20:26

我预测你会做出一家这样的公司。

I predict you're going to build one.

你知道,它最后未必会大到那个规模——因为我们自己也是个不断变化的目标。

You know, it may not quite get to the size that— we're a moving target as well.

不过,呃,不过如果你一开始就遵循你刚才说的那个原则,那可能还有一些类似的原则,呃,你也会认同,而这些我们大概也会同意。

But, uh, but if you start off with that principle you just enunciated, there are probably some other similar principles that, that, that, uh, that you'll have that we would also agree with.

没有什么比追随自己的激情更重要了。

There's nothing like following your passion.

我的意思是,我显然热爱我做的事,而且我做这件事的整个过程里,我一直都很喜欢。

I mean, I love what I do, obviously, and I've loved it the whole time I've done it.

Charlie 也是一样。

Charlie is the same way.

我们有很多经理人,你知道,他们当中有些人上过商学院,有些人没有。

We have managers, you know, they come— some of them went to business school, some of them didn't.

你知道,他们什么类型都有,但他们身上的共同点——他们都很成功。

You know, they're all types, but the common factor in them— they're successful.

他们共同的地方就是,他们热爱自己在做的事,你知道,人生里你一定得找到这个东西。有些人非常幸运,很早就找到了。

The common factor is they love what they do, you know, and you've got to find that in life, and some people are very lucky in finding it very early.

我自己就是,你知道,算是撞了大运。

I was, you know, it was dumb luck.

刚好我父亲是在证券行业工作。

That my father happened to be in the securities business.

所以我去他办公室的时候,那里有很多书可以看,我一下子就被这些东西迷住了。

So when I would go to his office, there were a lot of books to read, and I got entranced with that.

不过你知道,要是他当时从事的是别的职业,我觉得我最后还是会去读那些书,只不过会晚很多。

But, you know, if he'd been in some other occupation, I would— I think I would have read those books eventually, but it would have been a lot later.

所以,如果你找到了真正让你兴奋的东西,我猜你在这件事上会做得非常好。

So if you find something that turns you on, my guess is you're going to do very well in it.

而妙处在于,从某种意义上说,竞争其实没那么激烈。

And the beauty of it is, in a sense, there's not that much competition.

我的意思是,在你自己选择参加的那场比赛里,不会有那么多人能跑得比你更快。

I mean, there are not a lot of people out there that are going to be running faster than you in the race that you elect to get into.

如果你还没找到,那你很可能最终会找到;但如果你现在还没找到,你知道,你就得继续找下去。

And if you haven't found it yet, you may well have found it, but if you haven't found it yet, you know, you've got to keep looking.

而且——当我——我们现在有七十多位经理人,你知道,他们当中有些人——有些人没有。

And it— when I— we've got 70-plus managers, you know, some of them— some of them didn't.

我们有一个人甚至连高中都没上过,是吧,Charlie?

We had one guy that didn't go to high school even, didn't we, Charlie?
M1
M12:15

哦,对。

Oh yeah.
M2
M22:17

我想他四年级就退学了。

He quit in 4th grade, I think.

对,不过,呃,另外,Mrs. B 这一辈子一天学都没上过,你知道。

Yeah, but, uh, well, Mrs. B never went to school a day in her life, you know.

你们要是今晚去 Furniture Mart——我希望你们今晚去,我们预计今天的销售额会创纪录——呃,你们在那七十八英亩的地方看到的一切,你知道,那是全美最大的家居卖场,年销售额大概四亿美元,是美国最大的单体门店,而这一切,起点只是一个一辈子没上过一天学、也不会读写的女人投入的五百美元资本。

And when you go out to the Furniture Mart— I hope you go out this evening, we expect to set a record today in sales— the, uh, what you are looking at on those 78 acres— you know, it's the largest home furnishing store, about $400 million of sales, largest store in the United States, and it comes from $500 of capital paid in by a woman that never went to school a day in her life and couldn't read or write.

你知道,我是说,她就是热爱自己在做的事。

You know, I mean, she loved what she was doing.

而且,你知道,我讲过这个故事——这是真的——她九十多岁的时候,有一次请我去她家吃晚饭。

And, you know, I tell the story— this is a true story— when she was well into her 90s, she invited me over to her house for dinner.

那是非常少见的。

That was very unusual.

她家很不错,离店大概六七个街区。

And a very nice house, 6 or 7 blocks away from the store.

我走进她家,发现沙发、椅子、灯、餐桌,上面全都挂着绿色的小价签。

And I went into the house, and the sofa, the chairs, the lamp, the dining room table, they all had little green price tags hanging down at them.

那让她感觉像回到了自己的地盘。

It made her feel at home.

我就对她说,Mrs. B,你就是我欣赏的那种女人。

And I said to her, Mrs. B, you are my kind of woman.

对,把 Sophia Loren 都忘了吧。

Yeah, forget Sophia Loren.

好吧,我是说,这才是我欣赏的那种女人。

All right, I mean, this is my kind of woman.

她特别热爱这个,你知道,而且她一辈子都热爱它。

She loved it, you know, and she loved it all her life.

你想想看,这最终带来了什么。

And just think of what that produced.

我是说,这简直——太不可思议了。

I mean, it just—it's incredible.
M1
M13:43

我是说,那个——

I mean, the—
M2
M23:44

你知道,我爸有一次常引用 Emerson 的一句话,说你内在蕴藏的力量,在自然中是前所未有的。

You know, one time my dad used to quote Emerson that the power that lies within you is new in nature, you know.

基本上,Mrs. B 身上的那种力量,在自然中也是前所未有的。

And basically, the power that was within Mrs. B was new in nature.

而且就在她一生当中,这种力量创造出了令人惊叹的成就。

And just over a lifetime, it produced amazing things.

所以,找到你的激情所在,然后别让任何事情阻挡你。

So find your passion, and then don't let anything stop you.