← 返回任务列表

2004年股东大会 · 巴菲特给年轻人的建议:不要过度负债!

63 段 · 3 位说话人 · 原片 5:40
M1
M10:00

Buffett 先生,Munger 先生,你们好。

Hello, Mr. Buffett and Mr. Munger.

我叫 Justin Fong。

My name is Justin Fong.

我十四岁,来自 California。

I'm 14 years old from California.

这是我连续第四年来参加这次会议。

This is my 4th consecutive meeting attendance.

我在一本书里读到,你更喜欢跟年轻人聊人生和财务方面的观念,因为我们还有时间把这些真正用起来。

I read in a book that you prefer talking to young people about life and financial concepts because we still have time to implement them.

你能不能跟我们分享一些这样的观念?

Can you please share some of the concepts with us?

谢谢。

Thank you.
M2
M20:23

最后那部分我没听清。

I didn't catch the last part.
M3
M30:26

还是那个,关于分享一些观念。

Again, there's something about sharing concepts.

你要不要再说一遍?

You want to repeat it?
M1
M10:34

你能不能跟我们分享一下,你更愿意跟年轻人讲的那些人生观念和财务观念?

Can you please share the life and financial concepts that you prefer talking to young people about?
M3
M30:39

分享——他想知道,你那些对年轻人有用的人生观念和财务观念是什么。

Share—he wants to know your life concepts and financial concepts that are useful to young people.
M2
M20:47

这个问题范围挺大的,不过我想,财务方面的观念,我们显然已经在报告里讲得很清楚了。

Well, that's a fairly broad question, but I think the financial concepts, you know, we've obviously spelled out in the report.

至于人生观念,Charlie 可能比我更擅长回答。

Charlie's probably better on the life concepts than I am.

不过确实,我一直认为,把我用来演讲或者回答问题的时间,花在年轻人身上是很值得的。

It is true that I do believe in spending the time that I spend giving talks or answering questions, doing it with young people.

我每年肯定会做十几场以上,我就是觉得——我觉得这是一件很棒的事。

I do, I'm sure, well over a dozen a year, and I just think that—I think it's a great thing.

很明显,年轻人对改变更容易接受,甚至更容易养成那些以后人生里会很有用的习惯。

Obviously, young people are more receptive to change or to actually even forming habits that are going to be useful in life.

而且我觉得,人在年轻的时候往往低估了一件事——就是习惯到底有多重要;等你年纪大了才会明白,到了四十五岁或者五十岁,再去改变习惯有多难,所以年轻时养成正确的习惯有多重要。

And I think that people underestimate—until they get older, they underestimate just how important habits are and how difficult they are to change when you're 45 or 50, and how important it is that you form the right ones when you're young.
M1
M11:41

对。

Yeah.
M2
M21:42

不过 Charlie,你怎么看这个问题?

But Charlie, what do you have to say on that?
M3
M31:46

嗯,那些老生常谈的东西,其实恰恰最管用。

Well, all the trite stuff is what works.

我的意思是,你要避免去做那些特别蠢的事,比如飙车、抢在行进中的火车前过道口、尝试 cocaine,或者让自己冒上感染 AIDS 或其他不幸疾病的风险。

I mean, you avoid doing the really dumb things like racing, moving trains to the crossing, experimenting with cocaine, risking getting AIDS or other unfortunate ailments.

现实里就是有很多这种很常见、会把人拖垮的事,你只要离它们远远的就行了。

There are just a lot of standard things that take people down, and you just give those a wide berth.

然后,你要培养好的品格和好的思维习惯,而且一路走来,要从自己的每一个错误里学习。

And then you want to develop a good character and good mental habits, and you want to learn from your mistakes, every single one, as you go along.

这,这,这不是很明显吗?

It's, it's, it's pretty obvious, isn't it?
M2
M22:31

对,我们会说,尽管我们发行了很多信用卡,但我想如果让我给年轻人一条最普遍适用的建议,那就是:千万别负债。

Yeah, we would, we would say, even though we, we issue lots of credit cards, I think we'd say if probably if I had one piece of advice to give to young people, you know, that across the board, it would be just don't get in debt.

这个,呃,如果你是稍微领先一点在玩这场游戏,整个局面会轻松得多;可要是你一开始就在落后,那就难多了。

It, uh, the game plays a lot easier if you're a little bit ahead of the game than if you're behind the game.

Ben Franklin 很久以前就用更好的话把这个道理说过了,Charlie 还能背出来。

And Ben Franklin said that long ago in better terms, which Charlie can recite.

不过,不过这中间确实有很大的差别。

But, but there's a real difference.

我每天都会收到很多来信,都是陷入各种财务麻烦的人,而这些问题往往还跟健康有关,这就很令人难过。

I get letters every day from people that are in all kinds of financial trouble, and often it's health-related, which is tragic.

不过很多时候,这都跟债务有关。

But very often it relates to debt.

我的意思是,他们一旦落后了,基本上就再也追不上了。

I mean, they get behind the game and they're never going to catch up.

而且很多时候,你们可能会觉得意外,但我经常会给这些人回信。

And often, it may surprise you, but often I write these people.

他们都是非常正派的人。

They're very decent people.

他们只是犯了错。

They've just made mistakes.

我就直接告诉他们,最好的办法就是申请破产。

And I just tell them the best course is bankruptcy.

我的意思是,他们是不可能再追上来的。

I mean, they are not going to catch up.

他们应该重新开始,而且这辈子都不要再碰信用卡了。

And they should start all over again and they should never look at a credit card the rest of their life.

不过,要是他们能早点听到这个建议,那就更好了。

And, but it would have been better if they'd gotten that advice a little earlier.

但是,花得比赚得多,实在是很有诱惑力。

But it's very tempting to spend more than you earn.

我的意思是,这个嘛,你知道,也完全可以理解。

I mean, you know, it's very understandable.

但这不是个好主意。

But it's not a good idea.
M3
M33:48

当然,你尤其要避开那些邪恶的人,或者严重不理性的人,特别是当他们还是很有吸引力的异性的时候。

And of course, you particularly want to avoid evil or seriously irrational people, particularly if they are attractive members of the opposite sex.
M2
M24:03

Charlie 在这方面懂得更多。

Charlie knows more about this.

专家。

The expert.

对,你知道,最好是多跟那些比你更优秀的人来往。

Yeah, you know, it's better to hang out with people better than you.

这些年来,我发现这点做起来很容易。

I found that very easy to do over the years.

不过,如果你要选交往的人,就选那些行为举止比你好一点的人,你自己也会慢慢朝那个方向靠过去。

But if you're picking associates, pick out those whose behavior is somewhat better than yours, and you'll drift in that direction.

同样地,如果你老跟一群不怎么样的人混在一起,时间久了,你自己的行为也很可能会变得更糟。

Similarly, if you hang out with a bad bunch, you're very likely to find your own behavior worse over time.

不过就像 Charlie 说的,Ben Franklin 几百年前讲的那些老生常谈的建议,真的很管用。

But like Charlie says, the trite advice which Ben Franklin was handing out a few hundred years ago really works.

你知道,我们也说过了,看看那些你喜欢来往的人。

You know, just—we've said it, but look at the people you like to associate with.

你知道,他们身上有哪些品质,是你只要想要也可以拥有的?

You know, what qualities do they have that you can't have if you want to?
M1
M14:54

对。

Yeah.
M2
M24:54

再看看那些你最受不了、根本不想待在他们身边的人。

Look at the people that you can't stand to be around.

他们有的那些特质,你自己身上有没有?

What qualities do you have that they have?

你能不能把这些去掉?

Can you get rid of them?

这些事你年轻的时候都做得到。

You can do all of that at a young age.

越往后会越难,但其实也没那么复杂。

It gets harder as you go along, but it's not very complicated.
M3
M35:07

我最后再补一句建议,如果这让你在同龄人圈子里暂时不那么受欢迎,那就别管他们。

And my final word of advice would be, if this gives you a little temporary unpopularity in your peer group, the hell with them.
M2
M25:24

这个建议对我和 Charlie 可能更适用一点。

That is advice a little more applicable to me and Charlie.

我刚才在读一篇关于一位一百零三岁女士的报道,人家问她,你觉得活到一百零三岁有什么好?

I was reading about a woman that was 103, and they said, what do you like about being 103?

她说,没有同龄人的压力了。

And she says, no peer pressure.

我们来看第四个问题。

We'll go to number 4.