← 返回任务列表

2004年股东大会 · 巴菲特为什么不喜欢买IPO的股票?

51 段 · 3 位说话人 · 原片 5:03
M1
M10:00

大家好。

Good day.

我叫 Martin Kriewitz。

My name is Martin Kriewitz.

我是来自澳大利亚 Sydney 的股东。

I'm a shareholder from Sydney, Australia.

也非常感谢你们在这里给我们的热情款待。

And thank you so much for some of your wonderful hospitality here.

我们还有机会去打了 Omaha 的六十五个高尔夫球场里的几个,在这个世界第二好的国家待着,感觉真是太棒了。

We've had a chance to get on some of Omaha's 65 golf courses, and it's just great being in the second-best country in the world.

先生,我想问您的问题是关于 IPO。

My question to you, sir, is regarding IPOs.

去年,有一位写过关于您的书的作者来 Sydney 见了我们,显然您不喜欢 IPO。

We had one of the authors of a book on yourself visit us in Sydney last year, and apparently you dislike IPOs.

我的问题是,有些确实很差的企业也会被包装上市,但里面也有一些是好公司。

My question is, there are some really poor businesses that try and get passed off, but there are some good ones.

还有一些是政府私有化,或者权力下放、业务拆分之类的情况。

There's some government privatizations or decentralizations.

再加上 baby boomers 这一代的人口结构变化,还有我们也有一些朋友想退出一些非常好的企业。

The demographics of baby boomers, and we have some friends wanting to exit some really good businesses.

那我们作为投资者,还有 Berkshire Hathaway,能不能用您的一些原则和方法,去看一看这些里面有没有值得投资的?

Could we as investors and Berkshire Hathaway not apply some of your disciplines to look at investing in some of these?

最后一个问题,作为 Berkshire Hathaway 这家公司,和作为我们这样的个人投资者,您的答案在适用性上会不会不一样?

And finally, would your answer be different in its applicability to Berkshire Hathaway as a company as opposed to us as investors?

谢谢您,先生。

Thank you, sir.
M2
M21:23

Charlie?

Charlie?

嗯,第一个问题是,你能不能完全有可能用我们的思维模型,在 IPO 里面找到值得买的好东西?

Well, the first question, is it entirely possible that you could use our mental models to find good things to buy among IPOs?

答案当然是可以。

The answer is sure.

每年都有数不清的 IPO,在这些 IPO 里面,我敢肯定,埋着少数几个机会,真要是特别聪明的人,是能把它们找出来并且果断下手的。

There are a zillion IPOs every year, and buried in those IPOs, I'm sure there are a few instances that a really intelligent person could find and pounce on.

所以,当然可以。

So welcome.

但是,普通人去买 IPO,通常会被打得很惨。

But the average person buying IPOs is going to get creamed.

所以,如果你真的有那个本事,那当然行得通。

So if you're talented enough, why sure, that will work.

第二个问题,我忘了,是关于政府提供服务那个吗?

The second question, I forget, about the government offering service.

是关于政府拆分出来的公司吗?

Was it about government spinoffs?
M3
M32:18

再把聚光灯给他。

Give him the spotlight again.

好,看到他了。

There he is.
M2
M22:21

第二个问题是什么来着?

What was the second question?
M1
M12:22

我的意思就是,Berkshire Hathaway 的态度,跟普通投资者相比,会不会不一样?

It was just, would the attitude of Berkshire Hathaway be different, I suppose, to investors?

谢谢。

Thank you.
M2
M22:31

对,会不一样,因为 IPO 通常规模都比较小,对我们来说不合适;或者它们是 high-tech 公司,我们又看不懂。

Yeah, because the IPOs are normally small enough so that they won't work for us, or they're high-tech where we couldn't understand them.

所以,总体来说,如果 Warren 在看这些东西,那我多半是不知道的。

And so, by and large, if Warren is looking at them, why, I don't know about it.
M3
M32:48

对,我前面提到过,股票市场这种拍卖式市场,有时候会给出特别惊人的便宜货,因为可能有人会卖出一家公司的百分之零点五,或者百分之一,而那个价格可能只有它真实价值的四分之一;但在协商成交的交易里,你是很难碰到这种情况的。

Yeah, they—I mentioned earlier how an auction market prevailing in the stock market will offer up extraordinary bargains sometimes because somebody will sell a half a percent or 1% of a company at a price that may be a quarter of what it's worth, whereas in negotiated deals you don't get that.

IPO 这种情况,更接近于一种协商出来的交易。

An IPO situation more closely approximates a negotiated deal.

我的意思是,大多数时候,卖方来决定什么时候上市,而且他们选的时间,未必是对你有利的时候。

I mean, the seller decides when to come to market in most cases, and they don't pick a time necessarily that's good for you.

所以我觉得,相比你去看一百只已经在拍卖市场里交易的证券——或者这么说吧,如果你去看一百个 IPO,你从里面找到比你去看一百家已经在拍卖市场交易的公司更便宜的东西,这种可能性要小得多。

So it has— I think it's way less likely that in scanning a list of 100 securities that are trading in the auction market— well, in the 100 IPOs, if you scan 100 IPOs, you're going to come up with something cheaper than scanning 100 companies that are already trading in the auction market.

它更像是一种协商式的出售。

It is, it is more of a negotiated sale.

而协商式交易里,要捡到便宜是非常难的。

And negotiated transactions are very hard to get bargains.

就拿 Omaha 的房子来说吧,你知道,如果有个人住在某家隔壁,隔壁那套房子刚卖了八万美元,而他自己的房子跟那套差不多,那他是不可能五万美元就卖掉的。

If you take the houses in Omaha, you know, somebody that lives next door to somebody who sold their house for $80,000 and their house is more or less comparable, they're not gonna sell it for $50,000.

这种事就是不会发生。

It just doesn't happen.

因为对人们来说,这是非常重要的资产,而且他们也很清楚,类似的房产能卖到什么价。

People are— it's too important an asset and they're cognizant of what it brings, of what is being brought for similar properties.
M2
M24:05

协商式出售就是这么回事。

That's what happens in negotiated sales.
M3
M34:08

但反过来说,如果 Omaha 的每套房子都有一大堆主体各自持有其中百分之一,而这百分之一又有一个拍卖市场可以交易,那他们可能几乎什么价都卖。

Now, if on the other hand there was some whole bunch of entities that owned 1% of each house in Omaha and you had an auction market in those 1 percentage points, they might sell it damn near anything.

而且偶尔还会卖出离谱的价格。

And occasionally they sell at crazy prices.

所以在我看来,在拍卖市场里,你更有可能捡到不可思议的便宜货。

So you're way— in my view, you're way more likely to get incredible bargains in the, in the, in an auction market.

事情的本质就是这样。

It's just the nature of things.

IPO 更接近前一种情况。

The IPO is closer.

有时候,在非常糟糕的市场环境里,也会有 IPO。

Sometimes there will be IPOs in terrible markets.

那它们可能会非常便宜。

And they may come very cheap.

但总的来说,IPO 通常不是在那种时候出来的。

But by and large, that is not when IPOs come.

它们出现的时候,往往是卖方觉得市场已经准备好接住它们了。

They come when the seller thinks that the market is ready for them.

而且这是在一个信息充分的卖方认为,现在是个相当不错的上市时机时,才会来上市。

And they come with an informed seller thinking it's a pretty good time to go public.

所以你知道,在我看来,在拍卖市场里,你会买到更划算的东西。

And, you know, that— you'll make better buys, in my view, in an auction market.

第八个。

Number 8.