← 返回任务列表

1994年股东大会 · 巴菲特:怎么样才能留住好的公司管理层。

62 段 · 3 位说话人 · 原片 5:21
M1
M10:01

你好。

Hi there.

我叫 Lee。

My name is Lee.

我来自 California 的 Palo Alto。

I'm from Palo Alto, California.

这些年来,在和 Ajit Jain 接触的过程中,我一直对他印象非常深刻。

In meeting Ajit Jain, I've been very impressed over the years.

我想我甚至还有一次见过他的父母。

I think I even met his parents once.

他们来自 India。

They came from India.

请你谈谈,你对他的个性和管理能力最深的印象是什么,还有,你到底是怎么把这样一个个性和能力都这么出色的人留住的?

Please comment on your deepest impressions of his personality and managerial skills, and also how you go about exactly keeping somebody with such a fantastic personality.
M2
M20:25

谢谢。

Thank you.
M1
M10:25

把这样优秀的能力留在体系里。

Fine skills within the fold.

他有一天也可能会去 Walt Disney,你知道,一下子拿到两亿美元。

He might go to Walt Disney someday and, you know, pull down $200 million.
M3
M30:34

嗯,如果真有人给他开两亿美元,我们在这个级别上可能也不会拼得特别凶。

Well, if he gets offered $200 million, we may not compete too vigorously at that level.

我们基本上是尽量把生意经营成这样——Charlie 和我有两项工作。

We basically try to run a business so that— Charlie and I have 2 jobs.

我们得先识别出优秀的管理者是谁,然后再想办法让他们一直保持兴趣,愿意留下来。

We have to identify and keep good managers interested after we figured out who they are.

而在我们这里,这一点往往又有点不一样,因为我会说,我们大多数经理人在财务上都已经独立了,所以他们去工作,并不是因为担心孩子上学的钱,或者家里饭桌上的饭。

And that often is a little different here because I would say a majority of our managers are financially independent, so that they don't go to work because they are worried about putting kids through school or putting food on the table.

所以,除了这些之外,他们还得有别的理由愿意去上班。

So they have to have some reason to go to work aside from that.

在薪酬上,必须公平对待他们;但同时,他们也得觉得,这总比天天去打高尔夫,或者不管做什么别的事,要更有意思。

They have to be treated fairly in terms of compensation, but they also have to figure it is better than playing golf every day, or whatever it may be.

所以,这就是我们的一项工作。

And so, that's one of the jobs we have.

而且我们基本上就是用同样的方式来处理这件事——我们看他们做的事,就像我们看自己做的事一样。

And we basically attack that the same way— we look at what they do the same way we look at what we do.

我们有一群非常棒的股东。

We've got a wonderful group of shareholders.

在我经营这个之前,我有一个 partnership。

Before I ran this, I had a partnership.

我有一群很棒的合伙人。

I had a great group of partners.

本质上,我喜欢别人别来打扰我,让我去做我该做的事。

And essentially, I liked to be left alone to do what I did.

我喜欢的是,在年底按成绩单来评价我,而不是每一杆都盯着看,也不要用不恰当的方式对我指手画脚、事后诸葛亮。

I liked to be judged on the scorecard at the end of the year rather than on every stroke, and not second-guessed in a way that was inappropriate.
M1
M11:51

对。

Right.
M3
M31:51

而且我也喜欢身边的人能理解我所处的经营环境。

And I liked to have people who understood the environment in which I was operating.

所以,我们对管理者通常最重要的一件事,就是找到那些打击率四成的高手,然后别去教他们该怎么挥棒,就像我在报告里写的那样。

And so, the important thing we do with managers generally is to find the .400 hitters and then not tell them how to swing, as I put in the report.

我们做的第二件事,是配置资本。

The second thing we do is allocate capital.

除此之外,我们就打桥牌。

And aside from that, we play bridge.

Berkshire 基本上就是这么运作的。

That's pretty much what happens at Berkshire.

所以,不管你这里点名的是哪一位经理人,我们都会尽量让他们觉得,经营自己的业务是件有意思、也很好玩的事。

So, with any of the managers you might name here, we try to make it interesting and fun for them to run their business.

我们会尽量制定一种合适的薪酬安排,要符合他们所处那个行业、那种业务的特点。

We try to have a compensation arrangement that's appropriate for the kind of business they're in.

我们没有什么覆盖全公司的统一薪酬方案。

We have no company-wide compensation plan.

我们也绝不会想着找什么薪酬专家或者顾问进来,把这事给搞砸了。

We wouldn't dream of having some compensation expert or consultant come in and screw it up.

我们会尽量——我们涉足的一些业务需要很多资本,有些则根本不需要资本。

We try to— some businesses require a lot of capital that we're in, some require no capital.

有些是很容易做的生意。

Some are easy businesses.

在那种生意里,好的利润率很、很、很容易拿到,但我们真正付钱买的是超出那个水平的额外表现。

Where good profit margins are, are, are, are a cinch to come by, but, but we're really paying for the extra beyond that.

有些则是非常难赚钱的生意。

Some are very tough businesses to make money in.

所以,如果我们搞出一个巨大、巨大的框架,硬要把所有人都往里套,觉得一种模式能适用于所有人,那就太荒唐了。

And it would be crazy to have some huge, huge framework that we tried to place everybody in that, that where one size would, would fit all.

一般来说,人们的薪酬都会以某种方式跟他们自己的业务表现挂钩,而不是——没理由按照 Berkshire 的整体表现给谁发钱,因为除了 Charlie 和我,没有人对 Berkshire 整体负责。

People generally are compensated relating in some manner that relates to how their business does, as opposed to— there's no reason to pay anybody based on how Berkshire does, because no one has responsibility for Berkshire except for Charlie and me.

我们会尽量让他们对各自的业务单元负责,薪酬也根据这些单元的表现来定。

And we try to make them responsible for their own units, compensated based on how those units do.

我们会尽量去理解他们所在的业务,这样我们才知道什么是好表现,什么是差表现。

We try to understand the businesses they're in, so we know the difference between a good performance and a bad performance.

这个——大概——我们跟人合作就是这么做的。

It's— and that's about— that's how we work with people.

这些年来,在留住那些我们想留住的管理者这件事上,我们一直运气特别好。

We've had terrific luck over the years in retaining the managers that we wanted to retain.

而且——我觉得很大程度上,这是因为,尤其是当他们把一家公司卖给我们之后,基本上第二天他们还是像前一天那样在经营它。

And it's— I think largely it's because, particularly if they sell us a business, that to a great extent, the next day they're running it just as they were the day before.

他们经营自己的公司时得到的乐趣,跟我经营 Berkshire 得到的乐趣一样多。

And they're having as much fun running their business as I have running Berkshire.
M2
M24:10

Charlie?

Charlie?

嗯,我没什么可补充的,不过我觉得核心就是那个观念:如果角色对调,你希望别人怎么对你,你就怎么对别人。

Well, I've got nothing to add, but I think it's that concept of treating the other fellow the way you'd like to be treated if the roles were reversed.

你认真想想,这其实特别简单,不过很少有哪个晚上 Ajit 和 Warren 不通一次电话。

It's so simple when you stop to think about it, but it's a rare evening when Ajit and Warren aren't talking once on the phone.

这已经不只是商业关系了,至少在我看来是这样。

It's more than a business relationship, at least it seems that way to me.
M3
M34:40

对,嗯,确实是这样。

Yeah, well, it is.

而且以后也会一直这样。

Stay that way, too.
M2
M24:43

顺便说一句,我们也希望我们跟旗下企业之间的关系,不只是商业关系。

And by the way, we like our businesses, our relationships to be more than a business relationship.
M3
M34:50

Charlie 和我都非常幸运。

Charlie and I are very fortunate.

基本上——这是一种奢侈,不过也是一种我们应该努力去珍惜、去维护的奢侈。

We basically— it's a luxury, but it's a luxury that we should try to nurture.

我们能够和自己喜欢的人一起工作。

We get to work with people we like.

这会让生活简单很多。

And it makes life a lot simpler.

这大概对“成为活得最久的美国人”这个目标也有帮助。

It probably helps on that goal of being the oldest living American, too.
M2
M25:06

对,而且我们通常会喜欢那些我们钦佩的人。

Yeah, and we tend to like people we admire.
M3
M35:14

对,Charlie,有谁是我们喜欢但并不钦佩的吗?

Yeah, who do we like that we don't admire, Charlie?

来,说几个名字吧。

Start naming names.

这些人有名字吗?

Do these people have names?

第二区。

Zone 2.