← 返回任务列表

2010年股东大会 · 芒格:成功的秘诀,就是每天睡觉时比起床时进步一点点

88 段 · 2 位说话人 · 原片 8:23
M1
M10:00

你建议用什么方法,才能越来越擅长给公司估值?

What do you recommend for an approach to getting better and better at valuing companies?

这个问题非常非常好。

That's a very, very good question.

拿我自己来说吧,你知道,我一开始对公司估值根本一无所知,是 Ben Graham 教了我一种给某一类公司估值的方法,这种方法后来被证明是成功的,只不过那一类公司的机会后来慢慢枯竭了。

And in my own case, you know, I started out without knowing anything about valuing companies, and Ben Graham taught me a way to value a certain type of company that would prove successful, except the universe of those companies dried up.

不过话说回来,它几乎可以说是保证你不会失败,但它也不是——也并不能保证这类机会会一直存在。

But nevertheless, it, it was almost a guarantee against failure, but it wasn't—it was not a guarantee that these things would continue to be available.

Charlie 也教会了我很多很多东西,尤其是关于持久竞争优势的价值,还有什么才算是真正一流的企业。

Charlie taught me a lot, a lot about the value of a durable competitive advantage and, and a really first-class business.

不过随着时间过去,我对各种不同类型的企业了解得更多了,但你们可能会很惊讶,其实还有很多企业,我并不觉得自己真正理解得很透。

But over time, I've learned more about various types of businesses, but you'd be amazed how many businesses I don't feel that I understand well.

呃,最重要的不是你的能力圈有多大,而是你要知道它的边界在哪里。

Uh, the biggest thing is not how big your circle of competence is, but knowing where the perimeter is.
M2
M21:10

如果你——

If you—
M1
M11:13

你没必要对百分之九十的企业都成专家,或者百分之八十、百分之七十、百分之五十,都不用。

You don't have to be an expert on 90% of the businesses, or 80%, or 70%, or 50%.

但你确实得对那些你真正要投钱进去的企业有所了解。

But you do have to know something about the ones that you actually put your money into.

就算那只是整个 universe 里非常小的一部分,也并不致命。

And if that's a very small part of the universe, that still is not a killer.

我觉得,如果你想一想,一家 McDonald's 门店你愿意出多少钱去买,你再想想——你知道,就想想你自己家乡的那些生意。

And I, I think if you think about what you would pay for a McDonald's stand, what you think you would pay for—you know, think about the businesses in your own hometown.

那里面其实有很多。

It's a lot of them.

呃,你知道,哪些是你愿意买一部分进去的?

Uh, you know, which would you like to buy into?

哪些是你觉得自己能理解它们经济逻辑的?

Which do you think you could understand their economics?

哪些是你觉得十年、二十年之后还会存在的?

Which do you think will be around 10 or 20 years from now?

哪些是你觉得别人很难跟它竞争的?

Which do you think it would be very tough to compete with?

就是不断这样问自己关于企业的问题。

Just keep asking yourself questions about businesses.

也跟别人聊聊这些企业。

Talk about—with other people about them.

随着时间过去,你的知识面会不断扩大。

You will extend your knowledge over time.

而且永远要记住 safety margin。

And always remember that margin of safety.

我觉得你的态度基本上是对的,因为你确实——你知道自己的局限,这在这个行业里是极其重要的。

And I think you basically have the right attitude because you do—you recognize your limitations, and that's enormously important in this business.

你会找到可以做的事情的。

You will find things to do.

六七年前,也许没那么久——对,六七年前吧,比如说我当时在看 Korean stocks 的时候,我之前从来没想过自己会去买 Korean stocks。

6 or 7 years ago, maybe not that long—yeah, 6 or 7 years ago when I was looking at Korean stocks, for example, I never had any idea that Korean stocks would be something that I would be buying.

但我看过去以后,我能看出来,那边有不少企业是符合 margin of safety 这个标准的。

But I looked over there and, and I could see that there were a number of businesses that met the margin of safety test.

所以在那里我做了分散投资,因为我对其中任何一家具体公司都没有那么了解,但我知道,一揽子买二十家,结果大概率会非常不错,哪怕其中有一家可能是骗子在经营,还有几家可能会遇到我事先没预料到的竞争,因为它们实在太便宜了。

And there I diversified because I didn't know that much about any specific one, but I knew that a package of 20 was going to work out very well, even if a crook might run one of them and a couple of them might run into competition I didn't anticipate because they were so cheap.

这有点像老派 Graham 的做法。

And that was sort of the old Graham approach.

呃,你时不时会找到机会,而这件事最美妙的地方就在于,你其实不需要找到很多次这样的机会。

Uh, you will find opportunities from time to time, and the beauty of it is you don't have to find very many of them.

Charlie?

Charlie?
M2
M22:56

嗯,很显然,如果你想在一件有竞争性的事情上变得很厉害,你就必须大量去思考它,大量去学习它,也大量去练习怎么做。

Well, obviously, if you want to get good at something which is competitive, you have to think about it a lot and learn a lot and practice doing it a lot.

而且这个领域里,世界本来就是这么运转的,你必须不断学习,因为世界一直在变,你的竞争对手也一直在学习。

And the way the world is constructed in this field, you have to keep learning because the world keeps changing and your competitors keep learning.

所以你每天早上起来,都得努力做到,到了晚上睡觉的时候,比早上起床时稍微更聪明一点。

So you just have to get up each morning and, and, and try and go to bed that night a little wiser than you were when you got up.

如果你长期坚持这么做,在努力掌握你想做的事情的过程中,不断积累一些经验,不管是好的还是坏的。

And if you keep doing that for a long time and, and accumulate some experience, good and bad, as you try and master what you're trying to do.

做到这一点的人,几乎从来不会彻底失败。

People who do that almost never fail utterly.

他们可能会有一段倒霉的时候,比如运气不站在他们这边之类的,但真正因为这样而失败的人非常少。

They may have a bad period when luck goes against them or something, but very few people have ever failed with that.

这样的话,如果你的性格气质是对的,你也许会上升得比较慢,但你——Charlie,你上学的时候学过什么商业课程吗?

With that, if you have the right temperament, you may rise slowly, but you— Charlie, did you take any business courses in school?

没有。

None.

我学过 accounting。

I took accounting.
M1
M14:15

那你是什么时候开始给企业估值的?你又是怎么做的?

And when did you start valuing businesses, and how'd you go about it?
M2
M24:19

我还是个小男孩的时候。

When I was a little boy.

我记得我会到 Omaha Club 来,每天早上大概十点半,都有一位老先生会来 Omaha Club。

I can remember I would come down to the Omaha Club, and there was an old gentleman who hit the Omaha Club about 10:30 every morning.

显然他几乎不怎么工作。

He obviously did almost no work.

可他却相当富有。

And yet was quite prosperous.
M1
M14:34

他成了你的理想榜样。

He became your ideal.
M2
M24:35

对,不过他在我小时候确实让我特别好奇。

Yeah, so, well, but he made me very curious as a little boy.

我就问我父亲,这人到底是怎么做到的?

I said to my father, how in the hell does he do that?

他说,Charlie,他做的是一种几乎没有竞争的生意。

And he said, Charlie, he's in a business where he enjoys practically no competition.

他专门收集和处理死马。

He gathers up and renders dead horses.

这就是通过一种策略来避开竞争的例子。

Well, that was an example of avoiding competition by one stratagem.

如果你从小就不停地这样去追问现实中的问题,慢慢你就会学到东西。

And if you keep asking questions like that of reality, starting at a young age, you gradually learn.

你当时不也是在做同样的事吗?

And weren't you doing the same thing?
M1
M15:09

嗯,是啊,谢天谢地,他后来做了延伸,超出了他最初的那个洞见。

Well, yeah, thankfully he extrapolated, he went beyond his original insight there.
M2
M25:16

不过我注意到一件挺有意思的事,如果你看看我小时候那些企业的掌舵人。

But I noticed it was rather interesting, if you take the rulers of the businesses when I was a little boy.

Omaha 里那些企业,有相当多都倒闭了。

An awful lot of those businesses in Omaha, a lot of those businesses went broke.

还有很多是在困境之下,以不高的价格卖掉了。

A lot of them sold out at modest prices under distress.

而有些后来崛起的人,比如 Kiewit,一开始规模很小,在那个早期年代,根本没人觉得他们会是什么了不起的明星。

And some of the people who rose, like Kiewit, from small beginnings, nobody thought of as the great glories of, of that early time.

我觉得人生大概就是这样。

And I think that's kind of the way life is.

想爬到接近顶层的位置很难,而一旦你到了那个位置,想守住也很难。

It's hard to get anywhere near the top, and it's hard to hold any position once you've attained it.

不过,我觉得你还是可以预判 Kiewit 很可能会赢。

And, uh, but I think you could predict that Kiewit was likely to win.

因为他们更在乎把事情做对。

They cared more about doing it right.

他们更在意的是避免惹上麻烦。

They cared more about avoiding trouble.

他们对自己要求更有纪律。

They put more discipline on themselves.
M1
M16:12

嗯,如果你很了解那个人,你就会下注。

Well, if you knew the individual well, you would have bet.

对。

Right.

那如果你了解那个人,了解 Pete 本人呢?

What if you knew the individual, Pete himself?
M2
M26:19

我认识的那些已经很有钱的人,我一个都不会下注,但我会押 Pete Kiewit。

I would not have bet on any of the people I knew who were already wealthy, but I would have bet on Pete Kiewit.

他姐姐教过我数学。

His sister taught me math.

而且,那个,不,半 Dutch 半 German,你知道,这是一种很强悍的文化。

And, and no, half Dutch, half German, you know, this is a tough culture.

而我就是自然而然一直在这么做。

And I was just automatically doing that.

什么是有效的?

What was working?

什么是失败的?

What was failing?

为什么会有效?

Why was it working?

为什么会失败?

Why was it failing?

如果你有这种性格,你就会慢慢学会。

If you have that temperament, you are gradually going to learn.

如果你没有这种性格,那我也帮不了你。

And if you don't have that temperament, I can't help you.
M1
M16:58

如果你跟着 Pete Kiewit 观察十年,你从来不会看到他做什么蠢事,对吧?

If you'd followed Pete Kiewit around for 10 years, you never would have seen him do anything dumb, right?
M2
M27:03

哦,对。

Oh yeah.
M1
M17:03

所以关键就是避开那些蠢事。

And so it's avoiding the dumb thing.

你不——你真的不需要特别聪明,但是你得避免去犯那种几乎看起来一眼就知道的错误。

You don't— you really don't have to be brilliant, but you know, you have to avoid just sort of what almost seem the obvious mistakes.

不过我得说,你刚才那个思路是对的,就是先把基本功打牢,知道自己的局限,但同时还要继续去多了解各种不同类型的生意。

But I would say that you're on the right track back there in terms of having the basic fundamentals, knowing your limitations, but still seeking to learn more about various kinds of businesses.

Charlie 以前做律师的时候,我觉得不管什么客户走进来,Charlie 都会像自己拥有那家公司一样去思考那门生意,而且他大概通常还觉得,自己比那个真正拥有那家公司的人——也就是他的客户——更懂那家公司。

Charlie, I think when he practiced law, any client that came in, Charlie was thinking about that business as if he owned the place, and he probably generally felt he knew more about the place than the guy that actually owned it, who was his client, who was the client.

不过,我记得大概五十年前跟他聊天的时候,他会开始聊 Bakersfield 的 Caterpillar 经销商之类的事情。

But, but I remember talking to him, you know, 50 years ago, and he would start talking about Caterpillar dealerships in Bakersfield or something of the sort.

他就是——他根本没法看一家生意而不去想它最根本的经济逻辑。

It was— he was incapable of looking at a business without thinking about the fundamental economics of it.

那个人那笔 Caterpillar 交易后来做得怎么样?

How'd that guy do with the Caterpillar deal?
M2
M28:07

嗯,他以一个荒唐得不能再荒唐的高价,把它卖给了一家愚蠢的 oil company。

Well, he sold it for a perfectly ridiculous price to a dumb oil company.

那东西根本连他卖价的一半都不值。

It wasn't worth half what he got for it.
M1
M18:19

但他们有一个概念,也有一套战略。

But they had a concept and a strategy.
M2
M28:20

他们有一个概念,也有一套战略,毫无疑问,他们还有 consultants。

They had a concept and a strategy, and no doubt they had consultants.