← 返回任务列表

2009年股东大会 · 投资股票时,抄大师的作业是个好主意吗?

42 段 · 3 位说话人 · 原片 3:31
F1
F10:00

这是来自华盛顿州 Seattle 的 Hooman Tamaddon 的一个问题。

This is a question from Hooman Tamaddon in Seattle, Washington.

他这个问题分成两个部分,不过他说,你们会时不时买入一些上市公司的股票。

He's got a 2-part question, but he says, from time to time you purchase shares of public companies.

按理说,你当时应该觉得那些股票比 Berkshire 的股票更值得投资,因为你们从来不会回购 Berkshire 的股票。

Presumably you feel that those shares are a better investment than Berkshire shares at the time, since you never buy back Berkshire shares.

如果 Berkshire 的股东也能像你一样,以同样的价格买到这些公司的股票,那他们为什么不该卖掉自己手里的 Berkshire 股票,去买你正在买的那些呢?

If Berkshire shareholders can purchase shares in the same companies for the same price as you, why shouldn't they sell their Berkshire shares and buy what you are buying?

第二,他还想知道,为什么——因为他和成千上万其他股东一样,没法来参加年度股东大会。

And secondly, he wants to know why, because he, like thousands of other shareholders, is unable to attend the annual meeting.

为什么 Berkshire 不把股东大会做成 webcast 呢?

How come Berkshire does not webcast the meeting?

我也知道这里头有点讽刺,因为我听不到你们的回答。

I am aware of the irony that I will not hear your answer.
M1
M10:37

对,不过我们的会议内容最后还是会被整理出来。

Yeah, well, our meeting does get written up.

至少各种 blog 之类的,都会写很多相关内容。

At least it gets written up a lot with various blogs and everything else.

Outstanding Investor Digest 会把会议内容相当完整地整理出来,呃,另外还有一些渠道,也会整理出关于我的详细报告,然后发到网上。

It gets written up pretty well in its entirety by Outstanding Investor Digest, and, uh, and there are others that, that prepare extensive reports on me, and they pop up on the internet.

所以他十有八九还是会知道,呃,这个答案的。

So he will in all likelihood find out, uh, the answer.

我们当然可以做 webcast。

We, we could webcast.

别人也会拿同样的问题来问我,说我跟学生开的那些会,为什么不做 webcast。

I get asked the same question about webcasting the, the meetings I have with students.

你知道,为什么不这么做呢?

You know, why not do that?

这样不是轻松多了,诸如此类的。

It's so much easier and everything.

我觉得,人与人直接接触,还是能带来一些东西的。

I, I think there, there is something gained by personal contact.

我自己非常清楚,我当年学习的时候,也是这样。哪怕我已经读过 Ben Graham 的书了,光是去见他、跟他待在一起,我都收获很大。

I certainly know that when I was studying and all of that, I, I gained a lot by personal contact, even though I'd read Ben Graham's books, just going and being with them.

而且我在教学上也一直遵循这个做法。

And, and I follow that practice in teaching.

我也很喜欢我们现在这样的到场情况。

And I think that I like the turnout we get.

我喜欢我们的合伙人亲自过来,看看我们卖的产品,看看这些东西。

I like our partners to show up and see the products we sell and all of that.

这不是那种我们要躲起来开会的事,你知道,不会跑到 Nebraska 西部哪个小村子里去开,好故意让大家不方便来。

This is not something where we're going to go and hide and hold our meeting, you know, and then in, in some hamlet, you know, in western Nebraska or something to discourage attendance.

我们的态度不一样。

We've got a, we've got a different attitude.

我也希望这一点大家能感受得到。

And I think that, that, that I hope that comes across.

而且我觉得,如果我们做成 webcast,你知道,那就有点像打开一个电视节目一样了。

And I think that if we webcast it, you know, it was something like turning on a television show.

我觉得那种感觉不会完全一样。

I don't think it would be quite the same.

至于问题的第一部分,就是去买我们买的那些证券,确实有很多人会这么做。呃,不过他们——顺带一提——他们买这些,可没有保险业务提供的免费 float 可以用。

In terms of the first part of the question about buying the securities we buy, plenty of people do that, and, uh, some of them—but they, they incidentally, they're not buying it with free float that's available from insurance.

所以,如果他们也能拿到五百八十亿美元、而且是免息可用的资金,呃,那他们在买这些证券时,所处的位置就跟我们一样了,但他们并没有。

So, so if, if they have $58 billion that they can get interest-free, uh, they will be in the same position we are in buying those securities, but they aren't.

另一方面,他们也有一些我们没有的税务优势。

On the other hand, they have some tax advantages we don't have.

所以,呃,我并不反对别人这么做。

So, uh, I don't quarrel with people to do that.

呃,我们在一定程度上也必须公开披露我们持有哪些东西。

Uh, we have to publicize to some extent, uh, what we own.

有些东西他们是买不到的,因为我们会直接进行收购。

Some things they wouldn't be able to buy because we make direct purchases.

他们没法买进我们持有的那些企业,不过,呃,他们完全有可能通过某种方式跟着我们投,反而做得更好。

They wouldn't be able to buy into the businesses we own, but, uh, they might very well do better piggybacking us in some way.

而且他们当然完全可以这么做。

And they're certainly free to do it.

Charlie?

Charlie?
M2
M22:46

对,总体来说,我觉得你说的这个做法相当聪明,就是找出一些你认为非常厉害的投资人,仔细研究他们买的每一样东西,然后挑你愿意的去照着买。

Yeah, generally, I think it's quite smart to do what you're talking about, is to identify some investors you regard as very skilled and carefully examine everything they're buying and copy what you please.

我觉得你这个想法非常好。

I think you have a very good idea.
M1
M13:05

对,我二十一岁的时候,我会——那时候我得写信给 SEC。

Yeah, when I was 21 years old, I would—I had to mail away to the SEC in those days.

大概一个星期之后,你才能收到那些很烂的复印件,而且还得按页花不少钱。

You got these crummy copies about a week later and paid a lot per page to get them.

不过在我去 Graham-Newman Corp. 工作之前,我常常会去拿他们的半年报来看,然后把上面列出来的每一种证券都看一遍。

But I used to get the semiannual reports of Graham-Newman Corp. before I went to work there, and I would look at every security that was listed there.

然后,呃,我有一些投资想法就是这么来的。

And, uh, and I got some of my ideas that way.

所以,呃,这么做完全没什么问题。

So it's, uh, there's nothing wrong with that.

第十一题。

Number 11.