← 返回任务列表

Bill Ackman - Evolving Investment Playbook, From MBIA to Moats

732 段 · 3 位说话人 · 原片 56:38
M1
M10:01

欢迎来到新一期的《Value Investing with Legends》播客。

Welcome to a new edition of the Value Investing with Legends podcast.

我叫 Michael Mauboussin,我是 Columbia Business School 的兼职教授,也是 Heilbrunn Center for Graham and Dodd Investing 的教员。

My name is Michael Mauboussin, and I'm an adjunct professor at Columbia Business School and a faculty member at the Heilbrunn Center for Graham and Dodd Investing.

今天和我一起的是我的联合主持人 Tano Santos,他是 Columbia Business School 的 Robert Heilbrunn 资产管理与金融教授,也是 Heilbrunn Center 的学术主任。

I'm here with my co-host, Tano Santos, the Robert Heilbrunn Professor of Asset Management and Finance at Columbia Business School and the faculty director at the Heilbrunn Center.

你好,Tano。

Hi, Tano.

你今天怎么样?

How's it going today?
M2
M20:23

挺好的,Michael。

Going good, Michael.

一切都很好。

Everything good.

我还没开始上课,所以有很多时间可以做播客、看书、思考。

I'm not teaching just yet, so plenty of time for podcasting, for reading, for thinking.

至少在春季学期开始之前都是这样。

Until the spring semester.
M1
M10:32

那太棒了。

That is fabulous.

嗯,价值投资并不容易。

Well, value investing is hard.

你得有能力做高质量的分析,找出价格和价值之间的差距。

You have to be able to do quality analysis to identify gaps between price and value.

你可能还得推动管理层更好地经营企业,而逆向观点也常常会引发争议。

You may need to agitate executives to better manage the business, and contrary views can often lead to controversy.

我们今天的嘉宾管理着一只高度集中的股票基金,投资的是高质量公司的股票。

Our guest today runs a concentrated fund of stocks of high-quality companies.

他也以 activist investing 闻名,甚至还会抓机会押注宏观经济结果。

He's known too for activism and even for opportunistic bets on macroeconomic outcomes.

这只基金长期以来取得了非常出色的回报,明显跑赢了整体市场。

The fund has delivered excellent returns over time, comfortably exceeding those of the overall market.

我们非常高兴欢迎 Bill Ackman,他是 Pershing Square Capital Management 的创始人兼 CEO,这家公司是他在二零零四年创办的。

We're delighted to welcome Bill Ackman, founder and CEO of Pershing Square Capital Management, a firm he founded in 2004.

Pershing Square 目前管理的资产大约有两百亿美元。

Pershing Square has approximately $20 billion of assets under management.

在创办 Pershing Square 之前,Bill 和他的 Harvard Business School 同学 David Berkowitz 一起创办了 Gotham Partners。

Prior to Pershing Square, Bill founded Gotham Partners with a Harvard Business School classmate, David Berkowitz.

Bill 毕业于 Harvard,获得 social studies 学士学位,且以 magna cum laude 的成绩毕业,后来又拿到了 Harvard Business School 的 MBA 学位。

Bill graduated magna cum laude from Harvard, with a BA in social studies and has his MBA from Harvard Business School.

从二零零八年开始,Bill 一直慷慨赞助 Pershing Square Value Investing and Philanthropy Challenge。这个比赛是 Columbia Business School 的 Applied Security Analysis 课程的压轴环节,内容包括真实世界的股票 pitch、由他亲自主持的决赛活动,以及由 Pershing Square 资助的奖金。

Since 2008, Bill has generously sponsored the Pershing Square Value Investing and Philanthropy Challenge, a competition that caps our Applied Security Analysis course at Columbia Business School with real-world stock pitches, a finals event he hosts, and prizes funded by Pershing Square.

已经有超过一千名学生修过这门课,而且每年进入决赛的学生都有机会向 Bill 和一组评委 pitch 一只股票。

More than 1,000 students have taken this course, and each year the finalists have the opportunity to pitch a stock to Bill and a group of judges.

我们知道,这段经历对那些学生来说真的非常有价值。

We know that that experience has been really valuable for those students.

所以,欢迎你,Bill。

So welcome, Bill.

感谢你今天来参加我们的节目。

Thank you for joining us today.

我们有很多很想聊的话题。

There are lots of topics we're keen to discuss.
M3
M32:03

谢谢你们邀请我。

Well, thank you for having me.
M1
M12:04

那我们先从一些背景开始。

So let's start with some background.

你是在 Westchester County 长大的,后来去了 Harvard University。

You grew up in Westchester County and went to Harvard University.

有没有一些早期经历,塑造了你作为投资人的性格和 temperament?

Were there early experiences that shaped your temperament as an investor?

好奇心、坚持不懈,甚至也许还有一点对争议的健康偏好?

Curiosity, persistence, and maybe even a little healthy taste for controversy?
M3
M32:19

我小时候有一段比较重要的经历,当时我大概十六岁。

One of my more significant childhood experiences was, I was about 16 years old.

我爸爸的车有一个轮胎瘪了。

My father's car, one of the tires was deflated.

我爸就说,这对你来说是个很好的机会,可以学学怎么换轮胎。

Dad's like, great opportunity for you to learn how to change a tire.

我说,太好了,我这就去弄。

I said, terrific, I'm going to go do that.

然后我真的去了手套箱,把说明书拿出来,读了我该怎么做。上面写着,把车停在水平地面上,顶起来,然后换轮胎。

And so I actually went to the glove box, took out the manual, read what I was supposed to do, and it said, put the car on a level surface, jack it up, and change the tire.

我就说,爸,我得把车挪一下,因为你知道,我们家车道是有一点坡度的。

And I said, Dad, I need to move the car because, you know, our driveway has a bit of a grade to it.

我爸说,已经很平了。

And Dad said, it's pretty flat.

我说,爸,但它确实是有坡度的,而且这上面写着,我应该把车停在水平地面上。

I said, Dad, but it does really actually have a grade, and it says here that I'm supposed to put it on a level surface.

他说,不不不,没事。

He says, no, no, no, it's fine.

我说,好吧。

I said, okay.

我把车顶起来,把螺栓卸下来,然后我就想把轮胎弄下来,因为它卡住了。

I jack the car up, I take the bolts off, and then I'm sort of trying to get the tire off because it's stuck.

于是我的腿在车底下,我一边拽那个轮胎,车一边开始从千斤顶上歪下来。

So I have my legs under the car and I'm sort of pulling on the tire, and the car starts to tip off the jack.

然后在车从千斤顶上掉下来之前,我把腿从车底下抽了出来。

And I get my legs out from under the car before it collapses off the jack.

那可就糟了。

Would've been bad.

那对我来说是一个非常重要的时刻,因为我父亲是我非常尊敬的人,而且我父母一直都告诉我要听他们的话。

And it was this very significant moment for me because my father is someone I had enormous respect for, and my parents always told me to listen to them.

但我从整个经历里得到的结论是,我会一直听别人怎么说,但我会自己做决定,因为承担风险的是我自己的人生。

But my takeaway from the whole experience was I'm always going to listen, but I'm going to make my own decisions because it's my life that I have on the line.

而且我一直都是这么活过来的。

And I've always lived that way.

我父母以前总说我从来不听话。

My parents would always tell me I'd never listen.

直到今天,我妈还会这么说我。

I still hear it from my mother today.

我说,不,Mom,我听得非常认真,但决定是我自己做。

I said, no, Mom, I listened really carefully, but I make my own decisions.

我会说,那是我人生里最重要的时刻之一。

I would say that was one of the more important moments in my life.
M2
M23:36

你从 Harvard 的那段学术经历里得到了什么?

What do you get out of that academic experience at Harvard?

我知道 Harvard 对你很重要,你和 Harvard 的联系也很深。

I know that it's very important for you, your connection to Harvard.

你经常会提到它。

You speak about it often.

你能不能跟我们讲一点那几年的经历?

Can you tell us a little bit about those years?

你学到了什么?

What is it that you learned?

你那时候都在想些什么?

What kind of things were you thinking about at the time?
M3
M33:50

我是在 Harvard 学会写作的,虽然其实没有人专门这样教我。

I learned how to write at Harvard, even though it was something that was not taught to me.

我其实是在 New York 的 Chappaqua 长大的,后来去了 Horace Greeley High School。在我上那所学校的时候,它被认为是全国前十的公立高中之一,信不信由你。

I actually grew up in Chappaqua, New York, went to Horace Greeley High School, was considered a top 10 public school at the time I went there in the country, believe it or not.

我离开学校的时候,写作还不算好。

I left not being a good writer.

但我非常相信,能写好是一项特别重要的能力。

Big believer that being able to write is a very important skill.

哪怕从投资人的角度看,能把自己的想法表达清楚也非常关键。判断你是不是真的理解一件事,最好的测试之一,就是把它写在纸上。

And even from an investor's perspective, being able to articulate your thoughts, one of the best tests as to whether you really understand something is put it down on a piece of paper.

你脑子里可能觉得是通的,但一旦写到纸上,发现根本不清晰,那就说明你的理解里还有缺口。

It can make sense in your mind, and then if you put it down on a piece of paper and there's no clarity to it, then there are gaps in your understanding.

所以我会说,要学会写作,也许还可以练辩论,去接受不同的观点,去被挑战。

So I would say learning how to write, maybe debate, take on different points of view, be challenged.

这些都是我在本科阶段经历过、也非常受益的事情。

Those are some of the great things that I experienced as an undergrad.

而且我还建立了非常棒的人际关系。

And also I built amazing relationships.

其实我在 Harvard 最有意义的几段经历里,有几段真的都发生在课堂之外,其中一个就是划船。

One of the more meaningful parts of my Harvard experience, actually there were a couple that really were outside the classroom, one was rowing.

我去参加了赛艇队。

I went out for the rowing team.

那时候你还不需要被招募进队。

That was a time where you didn't have to be recruited.

可以说,你自己走过去就能加入队里。

You can walk onto the team, so to speak.

我在 Harvard 校队的第三条艇上待过,在第三条艇上做了四年的 stroke。

I was on Harvard varsity third boat, stroked in the third boat for 4 years.

那段经历对我非常重要。

And that was very significant.

划船真的会教会你,你身体和精神上的极限,其实比你自己以为的要高得多。

Rowing really teaches you that your physical and mental limits are much greater than you believe.

商业投资有点像一种身体对抗型运动。

Business investing is a bit of a contact sport.

你得保持良好的状态,而且还得有相当强的坚持力。

You need to be in good shape and you also have to have a fair amount of persistence.

你还得学会好好应对失败。

You got to deal with failure well.

我另一个特别重要的经历,是我在 Harvard Student Agencies 工作。那是一个以盈利为目的的学生组织,除了别的业务之外,他们还出版一种旅行指南,叫 Harvard Student Travel Guides。

The other really significant experience I had was I worked for Harvard Student Agencies, which was a for-profit student organization that among other things published these travel guides called the Harvard Student Travel Guides.

我当时是卖广告的。

And I sold advertising.

我在世界各地给酒店、租车公司和信用卡公司卖广告。

I sold advertising all over the world to hotels and rental car companies and credit card companies.

那是我第一次真正意义上的商业经历。

And it was my first real business experience.

我也学会了销售,这是一项非常重要的能力。后来我从商学院出来去募集基金的时候,这对我帮助非常大。

And I learned sales, which is a very important skill and was very helpful to me when I eventually went and raised a fund coming out of business school.

所以我在课堂里收获了很棒的经历,在课堂外也收获了很棒的经历。

So I had great experience in the classroom and I also had great experience outside the classroom.
M2
M25:45

而且我还认识了到现在都还是朋友的人——我能不能回到你刚才最开始说的一点,我特别喜欢那一点,而且我觉得那也是——我是在 Spain 受教育的。

And I met friends that I still— Can I go back to one of the first things you said, which I really like, and I think is something that— I was educated in Spain.

当然,我的孩子们是在 New York 这里接受教育的。

My children, of course, have been educated here in New York.

我特别喜欢 American 教育里一个很独特的地方,就是它非常强调你把自己表达清楚的能力,不管是写作还是公开演讲。而这一点,是我小时候在 Spain 没有接受到的。

And something unique about this American education that I love is exactly the emphasis on your ability to express yourself well, writing or public speaking, which is something I didn't receive as a kid back in Spain.

我总是跟我的 PhD 学生说,没有任何一个想法能在纸上还毫发无损地活下来。

And I always tell my PhD students that no idea survives contact with the paper.
M3
M36:14

对。

Yeah.
M2
M26:15

一旦你开始把它写下来,开始真正承诺一条具体的论证线,你就会发现,纸面会逼着你去做非常深入的思考。

Once you start writing it down and you start committing to a particular line of argumentation, you're going to see the paper is going to force you to really think deeply.

我觉得这是一项最基础、也最重要的能力。

And I think it's a fundamental skill to have.

我非常喜欢这一点,Bill,我也会把这个推荐给我的学生,就是写日记。

I like very much, I recommend this to my students, Bill, of writing diaries.

把你对那只股票的投资逻辑写下来,因为这样你就会逼着自己去问,我真的是这么想的吗?

Write your thesis for that particular stock because you're going to force yourself asking, do I really mean this?

我需要拿出什么样的证据来支撑这个判断?

What kind of evidence do I need to bring to bear on that?

所以我觉得这是一项特别棒的能力。

So I think it's a wonderful skill to have.

你从 Harvard 毕业了。

You graduate from Harvard.

接下来你做了什么?

What do you do next?
M3
M36:45

我给我爸工作。

I worked for my dad.

我祖父和他的兄弟大概在二十世纪二十年代创办了这家公司,主要是为房地产开发商和物业持有人安排融资。

My grandfather and his brother started the business right around the 1920s that arranged financing for real estate developers, owners of property.

这家公司的客户通常都是更有创业精神的那一类客户。

And the firm's clients tended to be the more entrepreneurial-type clients.

我在那里待了不到两年。

I was there for a little under 2 years.

他们基本上就是给你一部电话和一本名录。

They kind of give you a phone and a directory.

你得自己去找客户。

You have to find your clients.

所以这里面有销售的一面,但你也会学到很多关于房地产、融资、股权和债务的东西。

So there's a sales element to it, but you learn a lot about real estate and financing and equity, debt.

那是我第一次形成一种思维模型,去思考一个东西到底值多少钱。

It was my first mental model for thinking about the value of something.

那是一段非常好的经历。

A very good experience.

从某种意义上说,它搭起了一个框架。

It in some sense provided the framework.

做房地产的人不在乎会计数字。

Real estate people don't care about accounting.

他们在乎的是现金流。

They care about cash flow.

当他们要偿还债务、支付股息或者进行分配之类的时候,真正重要的其实只有这个。

That's really the only thing that matters when they're trying to meet their debt service or pay a dividend or distribution and so on.

所以我当时就形成了这种以现金流为核心的价值思考方式。

So I had this cash-flow-focused view of how to think about value.

还有,这段经历也帮到了我的销售经验、谈判经验,这些东西在我后来的职业生涯里都很有用。

Again, also helped in my sales experience, negotiating experience, things that came in handy over the course of my career.
M2
M27:42

那你后来走到 Gotham Capital 这一步,是在什么时候发生的?

And the step to Gotham Capital, when did that happen?
M3
M37:46

其实是 Gotham Partners。

Gotham Partners, actually.

Gotham Capital 是 Joel Greenblatt 的。

Gotham Capital is Joel Greenblatt.

我们当时想出了 Gotham Partners 这个名字,但那时候还没有 Google 可以查名字。

We came up with the name Gotham Partners and there was no Google to check the name.

所以我们把名字注册通过的时候,甚至都不知道还有 Gotham Capital。

So we didn't even know of Gotham Capital when we got the name approved.

后来有一段时间,大家会把我们搞混,因为我们差不多是同一时期在做业务。

And for a while people would confuse us because we were in business around the same time.

我去 Harvard,其实就是为了学习怎么成为一名投资人,因为我当时在家里的公司工作时还有一个想法,那就是那本质上是一门服务型生意。

I went to Harvard really to learn how to be an investor because one of the other thoughts working for my family business, it was a service business.

你有客户,你得随时听客户的安排。

You had clients and you were at the beck and call of clients.

而在我看来,玩得更开心的人,其实是那些房地产开发商和投资人。

And it seemed to me that the people that were having more fun were the real estate developers, the investors.

感觉在金融这个等级体系里,真正能做投资决策的人,好像玩得最开心。

It seemed like in the hierarchy of finance, the people who get to make the investment decisions are having the most fun.

所以我就想转到那个方向去。

So I wanted to be able to transition to that.

我去读 business school,是想学怎么当一个投资人,而且我去之前,甚至连课程目录都没看过,看看有没有投资课都没看。

I went to business school to learn how to be an investor, and I went to business school without even reading the course catalog to see if there was a class on investing.

结果我到了那儿才发现,Harvard 居然一门教你怎么做投资人的课都没有。

And I got there and there was literally not one class at Harvard on how to be an investor.

一门都没有。

Not one.
M2
M28:38

你当时真该来 Columbia,Bill。

You should have come to Columbia, Bill.
M3
M38:40

你这话完全对。

You're totally right.

他们唯一有的一门课,有点像是教你怎么管理 Fidelity Investments,怎么当一家资产管理公司的 CEO,而不是教你怎么选股票。

The only class they had was a class like how to manage Fidelity Investments, how to be CEO of an asset manager as opposed to pick stocks.

三十天之后,我就在 Fidelity 开了个账户。

30 days later, I opened an account at Fidelity.

那是我的第一个 brokerage account。

That was my first brokerage account.

我就说,你看,我手上有四万美元,是我工作赚来的税后收入。

And I said, look, I had $40,000 that I had made after taxes from my job.

这就当是我交给投资行业的学费了。

This was going to be my tuition in the investment business.

我当时想,哪怕全亏光了,也就相当于多读一年书。

I said, look, if I lose it all, it's equivalent of another year of school.

而且我还有个很大的好处,就是我爸妈帮我付学费。

I had the very nice benefit of my parents paying for my tuition.

其他开销我自己负责,我就靠我的 brokerage account 过日子,也用这个 brokerage account 来投资。

I was responsible for my other expenses and I lived out of my brokerage account and then invested out of my brokerage account.

我买的第一只股票就涨了,这就是起点。

And the first stock I bought went up and that was the beginning.

那是在一九九零年十月,当时银行股和房地产公司都被打得很惨。

And it was October of 1990, a time when banks and real estate companies were getting crushed.

而这刚好算是我有一点竞争优势的领域,因为之前那几年我一直都在做房地产和房地产金融。

And that was sort of an area where I felt I had a bit of a competitive advantage because I had spent the previous years in real estate and real estate finance.

到第二年,或者其实第一年中间某个时候,我就觉得一个人回宿舍看 10-K 和 10-Q,多少有点孤单。

By the second year, or sometime in the first year, it was kind of a little lonely going back to the dorm room reading 10-Ks and 10-Qs.

我班上、我们 section 里有个家伙,我觉得他特别聪明。

And there was a guy in my class, my section, I thought was a very smart guy.

我就跟他说,要不咱们一起干这个吧?

And I said, look, why don't we do this together?

他就住在我楼上一层,然后我们就开始一起看 10-K 和 10-Q,还在 Harvard 组了第一个 investment club。

He lived one floor up from me and we started reading 10-Ks and 10-Qs and we formed the first investment club at Harvard.

在那之前还真没有。

There wasn't one prior to that.

那是个只有两名成员的 investment club。

It was an investment club of two participants.

Baker Library 里有一台 Bloomberg 机器,我们就用那个。

They had a Bloomberg machine in Baker Library, which we would use.

我们做这个还挺开心的。

We had fun doing this.

到了 business school 第二年,我就想,想象一下,要是我们做这个还能有人付钱给我们,那可太好了。

And by the second year of business school, I said, imagine if we could do this and people would pay us to do this.

那就相当不错了。

That would be pretty good.

然后我也借着 business school 这个环境,去认识了一些人。

And I used the business school thing to kind of meet some people.

我开始读 business school 后一两个月,Seth Klarman 的那本书出了,叫 Margin of Safety。

Seth Klarman, his book came out a month or two after I started business school, Margin of Safety.

所以我就在书店把它买了。

So I bought it at the bookstore.

我给他打了电话,我说,嗨 Seth,我是 Bill Ackman。

I called him and I said, hi Seth, it's Bill Ackman.

我是 Harvard Business School 的学生。

I'm a student at Harvard Business School.

我不是来找工作的。

I'm not looking for a job.

其实我手上有一堆投资想法,很乐意跟你分享。

I've got actually a bunch of investment ideas I'd be happy to share.

对了,我还买了你的书。

And by the way, I bought your book.

然后他说,你买了我的书?

And he said, you bought my book?

我觉得我可能是第一个买他书的人。

I think I was like the first person to buy his book.
M2
M210:29

现在那本书可值老鼻子钱了。

Now it's worth a fortune.
M3
M310:33

我手上有几本,其中一两本还是 Seth 签名的。

I have a few copies, one or two signed by Seth.

那些都挺值钱的。

Those are pretty valuable.

我就是这么起步的。

That's how I started.

后来我们毕业了,David 去 Deutsche Bankers Trust 找了份工作。

And then we graduated and David took a job at Deutsche Bankers Trust.

是在 derivatives 业务那边。

In the derivatives area.

他说,你要是能募到三百万美元,我就来跟你一起干。

And he's like, if you can raise $3 million, I'll come join you.

然后我就开始朝这个方向推进了。

And I started going down that road.

我们还真募到了三百万美元。

We managed to raise $3 million.

我们在九三年三月一号启动,当时资金是三百一十万美元。

We launched March 1st, '93 with $3.1 million.

多出来的那十万,是我和 David 出的。

And the 0.1 was from me and David.
M2
M210:55

我得告诉你,Bill,我第一次听说你,就是因为 MBIA 那件事。

I have to tell you, the first time I heard about you, Bill, was with the MBIA situation.

我后来又回头去看了那些年份。

I went back to those years.

那时候我还是 University of Chicago 的一名年轻 faculty member。

I was a young faculty member at the University of Chicago at the time.

对我来说,回头想这件事,最惊人的是,整件事当时有多么有先见之明,我也想跟你好好聊聊这个。

To me, what is striking thinking about that, and I want to discuss this with you, is how prescient the whole thing was.

我之前都没记得那是在二零零二年。

I didn't remember that it was 2002.

那在房地产周期里算是非常非常早了。

It's incredibly early in the real estate cycle.

而且这事很复杂。

It's complex.

你得钻得很深,才能理解这些家伙到底想干什么。

You have to go deep and understand what these guys are trying to do.

而且这个故事有很多层,我想帮听众一点点把它剥开,因为我觉得这是个很重要的故事。

And there are many layers to this story, and I want to peel them off a little bit for our listeners, because I think it's an important story.

所以,先不按什么特定顺序来说,最大的一点是,房地产市场里有些事情正在发生。

So, in no particular order, the big thing, something is going on in real estate markets.

我是后来才意识到这些的。

I became aware of these later.

让我印象很深的是,你在二零零二年的时候就已经在做这些事了。

I'm struck by the fact that you were doing these things already in 2002.

这里面有一层是,你会看到某个特定机构正在偏离它的核心业务,去做别的事情,那它到底有没有能力、有没有专业经验去做那些别的事?

The layer of, you see this particular organization drifting away from its core business and doing other things, and do they have the expertise to do these other things?

然后还有更细的那种硬核细节,就是你真的去看那些资产负债表,去看那些财务报表,判断它们资本够不够,并把这个账算清楚。

And then the nitty-gritty detail of actually going, looking at those balance sheets, looking at those financial statements, do they have enough capital, making that calculation.

比如说,它们到底最多能亏多少,才会彻底撑不住、直接垮掉?

How much can they lose before they go belly up type of thing?

这就是那种最基本的 value investing 计算。

That basic value investing calculation.

跟我们讲讲那段经历吧。

Tell us a little bit about that episode.

你当时是不是已经看到了房地产行业里不断累积的风险?

Did you see already the risks that were accumulating in the real estate sector?

这是自上而下看的,还是自下而上看的?

Was it top-down, bottom-up?

你是怎么判断这个机会的?

How do you look at that opportunity?
M3
M312:23

当时有一家公司叫 Farmer Mac,它是一家 government-sponsored enterprise,一个朋友推荐说这只股票我们应该买。

There was a company called Farmer Mac that is a government-sponsored enterprise that a friend had recommended as a stock we should buy.

我读了它的年报,结果越读越觉得,这根本不是一只该买的股票。

And I read the annual report and the more I read, the more I said, this is not a stock you should buy.

这东西完全就是个骗局,至少也差不多是个骗局。

This thing is a complete, almost a fraud.

让我开始觉得它像骗局的触发点,是这家公司的债务被列成 AAA。

And the catalyst for thinking it was fraud was that the debt of the company was listed as AAA.

但当我们打电话给 Moody's 和 S&P,向他们要评级报告的时候,他们却说自己并不覆盖这家公司。

And when we called Moody's and S&P and asked them for the ratings reports, they said they didn't cover the company.

也就是说,它们其实根本不是 AAA 评级,这一点非常惊人。

They weren't actually AAA rated, which was pretty stunning.

而且它们的债券交易价格,跟 Fannie 和 Freddie 的交易水平非常接近。

And their debt traded pretty close to where Fannie and Freddie traded.

你会觉得,好吧,它们是 government-sponsored, 但资本很薄;它们号称是在把农场贷款做 securitizing,可农场贷款根本不是 fungible 的。

It's okay, they're government-sponsored but thinly capitalized, and they're supposedly securitizing farm loans, but farm loans are not fungible.

街这边一座一千英亩的农场,和街对面另一座一千英亩的农场,最终结果都可能完全不一样,取决于土壤、农场主等等因素。

You can have a 1,000-acre farm on one side of the street and a 1,000-acre farm on the other side of the street, and they can have completely different outcomes based on the soil, the farmer, et cetera.

所以,把农场贷款做 securitizing 这整个概念,根本说不通。

So this whole notion of securitizing farm loans made no sense.

整个生意模式都说不通。

The whole business didn't make sense.

而 credit default swaps 在当时也才刚刚开始流行起来。

And credit default swaps had just become a thing at the time.

我当时就想,哇,这还挺有意思的。

And I thought, wow, this is pretty interesting.

我们可以去买这家所谓 AAA-rated、但其实根本不是 AAA 的公司的 credit default swaps,可问题是,我们怎么把这件事传播出去?

We could buy credit default swaps on this AAA-rated company that wasn't really rated AAA, but how do we get the word out?

于是我们去找了律师,他们说,你们就写一份 white paper 吧。

And we went to our lawyers and they said, look, you should just write a white paper.

我们会帮你们做事实核查。

We'll fact-check it.

我们会确保里面每一条都有脚注支持,也符合言论自由之类的保护,等等。

We'll make sure everything in it, we've got a footnote and free speech and whatever.

我想,这应该是历史上第一个 activist short,针对的公司就叫 Farmer Mac。

This was the first, I believe, activist short in history, a company called Farmer Mac.

你现在还能在网上找到我们当时的报告。

And you can find our reports online.

那系列报告的标题叫 Buying the Farm。

They were called Buying the Farm.

最后我一共写了第一、第二和第三部分,我们也因此赚了很多钱,因为随着我们把这东西曝光出来,credit spreads 非常明显地大幅走阔了。

And I ended up doing parts 1, 2, and 3, and we ended up making a ton of money because as we exposed this thing, the credit spreads widened very dramatically.

我们赚了一大笔钱。

We made a pile of money.

那只股票跌了。

The stock went down.

那次经历之后,我问了一个跟我们做交易的对手方,一个我记得当时在 Lehman 的人,他之前卖给我们一些 credit default swaps。我问他,你觉得还有哪家 AAA 评级公司,其实不配拿 AAA 评级?

After that experience, I asked one of the counterparties that we traded with, a guy I think at Lehman at the time, who sold us some of these credit default swaps, what other AAA-rated company do you think doesn't deserve a AAA rating?

他说,有这么一家公司,MBIA,给一大堆东西做担保,我搞不懂这里面的魔法是怎么运作的。

And he said, there's this company, MBIA, that guarantees a ton of stuff, I don't get how the magic works.

你应该去看看它。

You should take a look at it.

我就去看了,我还读了它的 annual report。

And I did, and I read the annual report.

读到 shareholder letter 结尾的时候,我心里就想,这东西很可疑。

By the end of the shareholder letter, I was like, this thing is very sketchy.

MBIA 就是 Municipal Bond Insurance Association。

MBIA was Municipal Bond Insurance Association.

它一开始是给 muni debt 做担保的。

It started out guaranteeing muni debt.

Municipal debt,尤其是 general obligation debt,某种程度上代表的是这个 municipality 的完全信用背书;只要没有欺诈,也没有非常严重的管理失当,基本上大概率都是会偿付的。

Municipal debt, particularly the general obligation debt, is sort of the full faith and credit of the municipality, and absent fraud, and absent really mismanagement of a municipality, it's highly probable to be paid.

所以他们一开始真正做的工作,其实就是审核文件,确保一切都没问题。

And really the job they did at the beginning was review the paperwork and make sure everything was fine.

然后他们就在这些债务上盖了一个像 Good Housekeeping 认证那样的认可章。

And they put this Good Housekeeping seal of approval on the debt.

但一旦你有了 AAA 评级,就会吸引来很多苍蝇。

Now with that AAA rating, you attract a lot of flies.

毕竟,去担保那些根本不太可能违约的义务,你能赚的钱是有限的。

There's only so much you can get paid guaranteeing obligations that are never going to default.

但如果你有 AAA 评级,你就能吸引很多人,因为对他们来说,这个评级非常非常有价值。

But with a AAA rating, you can attract a lot of people for whom that rating is very, very valuable.

然后他们就开始一路往风险曲线更高的地方走,这一点看得非常清楚。

And they just started moving out on the risk curve and you saw that very clearly.

等到我们在二零零二年研究这门生意的时候,我手里某个地方还留着那份 annual report,上面全是我写的脚注。

And by the time we were looking at the business in 2002, somewhere I have my annual report with all my footnotes.

如果把 10-K 翻出来看看,应该会挺有意思。

It'd be interesting to kind of pull it out in the 10-K.

他们当时担保的义务规模有一万亿美元,而他们的 equity 只有五十亿美元。

They had a trillion dollars of obligations and they had $5 billion of equity.

这个账几乎都很难算。

And it's almost hard to do the math on that.

所以这并不是一个建立在“房地产市场会崩盘”这种判断之上的投资。

So it wasn't an investment predicated on a view that the real estate markets would be blowing up.

它建立在这样一个判断之上:你只需要有一点点事情出错,这家公司就完蛋了。

It was predicated on the view that all you had to have was a tiny little bit of things go wrong and this thing is toast.

他们根本没有提 reserves。

They took no reserves.

看起来就像,哦,这是世界上最赚钱的保险公司。

It was like, oh, it's the most profitable insurance company in the world.

他们收保费,却不用赔付 claims。

They write premium and they don't pay claims.

但问题在于,他们承担的风险是真实存在的风险。

But the problem is they were taking on risks that were real risks.

而且随着时间推移,这些风险变得越来越糟。

And over time, those risks got worse and worse.

对,subprime CDOs,那整套故事,还有 synthetic CDOs,以及其他各种东西。

And yes, subprime CDOs, that whole story, the synthetic CDOs, everything else.

他们同时也在做这些东西的另一边——他们在写 credit derivatives。

They were also taking the other side of—they were writing credit derivatives.

而实际上,对一家 New York 的保险公司来说,以担保 derivatives 为业务,或者作为 derivatives 的交易对手方,都是违法的。

And it's actually illegal for a New York insurer to be in the business of guaranteeing derivatives or being a counterparty on derivatives.

我们当时就想,这怎么可能呢?

We're like, how can this be?

他们搞了这么一个结构,他们把它叫做 transformer,他们的做法是让 MBIA 基本上去担保一家 LLC 的负债,而这家 LLC 反过来又是由一家 charity 持有的。

And they had this structure which they called a transformer that they used where MBIA would basically guarantee the liabilities of an LLC, which was in turn owned by a charity.

然后这个实体再反过来做那些 derivatives 的担保方。

And that entity in turn would be the guarantor of the derivatives.

他们不知怎么就觉得这样能过关,因为他们并不是 owner。

And somehow they thought this passed muster because they weren't owner.

然后我们就跟保险监管部门坐下来谈了。

And we sat down with the insurance department.

总之,我们越往深里研究这件事,就越觉得,这东西怎么会存在呢?

Anyway, the deeper we went on this thing, we said, how can this thing exist?

这也就是为什么我们后来买了超过十亿美元的、针对这家公司的 credit default swaps。

And that's what led to our buying a billion-plus of credit default swaps on the company.

后来当我们听说,这家公司自己实际上还在接我们部分 derivatives 交易的对手盘时,我们就说,好吧,这东西太疯狂了,迟早得爆。

And then when we heard the company itself was actually taking the other side of some of our derivatives, we said, okay, this thing is crazy and it's going to have to blow up.

剩下的只是时间问题。

And it was just a question of time.
M2
M216:53

你真正去做一个 derivatives 仓位的时候,会有一个到期日,也就是说你的 thesis 必须在那之前兑现。

When you actually take a derivatives position, there's a maturity date by which the thesis has to work.

你在操作层面上是怎么考虑这个问题的?

How do you think about that problem operationally?
M3
M317:01

PharmaK 那件事发生得特别快。

The PharmaK thing happened really quickly.

我们基本上就是先做完功课,建好仓位,发布了一系列《Buying the Farm》,然后公司那边就做出了回应。

We basically did our homework, put on the position, released a series of Buying the Farm, and then the company responded.

在《Buying the Farm Part 2》里,我们把公司所有的回应都拿出来,逐条反驳了他们的说法。

In Buying the Farm Part 2, we took all the company's responses and rebutted all their things.

然后我们又这样做了一次,接着这东西就爆了。

And then we did that once more, and then the thing blew up.

我本来以为 MBIA 也会是一样的情况。

I figured the same thing would happen with MBIA.

我觉得这个案子甚至更有说服力。

I thought the case was even more compelling.

这家公司做的一件事是,他们拥有的政治影响力和权力比 PharmaK 大得多。

What the company did is they had a lot more political influence and power than PharmaK.

所以他们就非常激进地冲着我们来了,而这也推迟了这家公司最终的崩溃。

And so what they did is they went after us very aggressively, and that delayed the demise for the company.

突然之间,我们就被 SEC、Eliot Spitzer、纽约州总检察长这些机构和人调查了,然后舆论就变成了,说什么这些邪恶的 hedge fund 家伙、市场操纵。

All of a sudden we were under investigation by the SEC, Eliot Spitzer, New York Attorney General, and then it was like these evil hedge fund guys, market manipulation.

这在一段时间里,的确削弱了我们 thesis 的可信度。

That kind of discredited for a period our thesis.

不过 credit default swaps 的好处,尤其是针对一家 AAA 评级企业的 CDS,好处就在于持有成本很低,大概只有二十个基点,差不多十亿美元的仓位,我们一年大概只需要花两千万美元左右来持有。

But the beauty of credit default swaps, particularly on a AAA-rated enterprise, is the carrying costs were like 20 basis points, around a billion dollars costing us $20 million a year or so to carry the position.

它们的期限一般是五年,我觉得这已经远远超过我们需要的时间了。

They had a term generally of 5 years, which I thought was well more than we needed.

当然,你也可以展期。

You can of course extend them.

那段历史就是,MBIA 的 short position,以及他们推动引发的那场调查,最终再加上一位我相信是受他们影响的法官,拖住了对我们来说一笔非常重要的交易。

The history there was the MBIA short position and the investigation they catalyzed, and ultimately a judge I believe they influenced that held up a very important transaction for us.

这成了促使我们结束 Gotham Partners,也就是第一只基金的一个催化因素。

Was a catalyst for winding up Gotham Partners, the first fund.

我们当时告诉投资人,我们面临的情况是,一边其实有一位重要的新投资人要进来,另一边又有投资人在赎回。

And we told the investor we had a situation where we had actually a new investor coming in, a significant one, and investors redeeming.

然后我们还要面对这起法院案件带来的不确定性。

And then we had this uncertainty of this court case.

再加上我们当时还处在被调查的复杂局面里,而要公平对待投资人,唯一的办法就是——

We had the complexity of being under investigation and the only fair way to treat our investors.

我们说,你看,我们就直接进入清盘流程,然后会尽可能快地把钱还给大家。

We said, look, we're just going to go into wind down and we're going to send you back your money as promptly as possible.

所以最后我们在 Gotham funds 里把 MBIA 这笔仓位平掉了,不过我们还有一个 SPV,里面保留着同样的押注。

So we unwound ultimately the MBIA bet in the Gotham funds, but we had an SPV that had the same bet on.

后来大概一年之后我创办 Pershing 的时候,我又重新把这笔押注做上了。

And then when I launched Pershing about a year later, I put the bet on again.

等到金融危机真的来的时候,我们最终拿到了一笔很大的回报。

By the time the financial crisis came around, we eventually got a big payoff.

而且因为持有成本非常低,就算我们连续三十年一直付 premium,这仍然会是一笔相当不错的投资。

And since the cost of carry was so low, we could have paid premium for 30 years and it would've still been a decent investment.
M1
M119:01

所以 Bill,带我们回到 Pershing Square 成立的时候吧。

So Bill, take us back to the formation of Pershing Square.

和 Gotham Partners 相比,在公司的结构上,你当时有没有想解决一些问题?比如说 alignment、concentration,或者 permanent capital 这些方面。

Were there any problems you were trying to solve with the firm structure versus Gotham Partners, especially around, for example, alignment or concentration or permanent capital?
M3
M319:12

也可以这么说,我们的目标一直都是拿到 permanent capital,这里面的原因大家其实都明白。

Or was it, the ambition was always to get to permanent capital for all the obvious reasons.

这也是为什么 Buffett 在做了十五年 hedge fund 之后,干脆把整套东西都放下了,连 promote 都不要了,转去经营一家很烂的纺织公司,因为他拿到了 permanent capital,而且他意识到,如果我们想在很长一段时间里持续以很高的速度复利增长,

There's a reason why Buffett, after 15 years of running a hedge fund, gave the whole thing up, gave up the promote to run a crappy textile company because he got permanent capital, and he realized that if we're going to compound at a high rate over a long period of time,

那在这段旅程里,我到底开的是一辆什么样的车,这件事就非常非常重要。

it matters enormously what kind of car I'm driving over the course of that ride.

permanent capital 一直都是一个目标。

Permanent capital's always an ambition.

我们一开始做的几件事之一是,我之前那位合伙人,基本上是因为整件事带来的压力太大了。

The things we did at the beginning were, one, my former partner, basically the stress of the whole thing.

他说,你看,我想过一种更平静一点的生活。

He said, look, I want a calmer life.

所以他就走了另一条路。

So he went in a different direction.

所以就只剩我一个人了。

So it was just me.

这一次我是自己单干。

I was on my own this time.

这其实也有一些好处。

And there's some benefits to that.

当然,也有一些成功的公司是由两个人一起管理的例子。

There are some examples of successful firms that are run by two people.

但我觉得这种情况非常少。

I think they're very few.

你其实需要有一个人,最终来负全部责任。

You kind of need one person who's ultimately accountable.

所以我觉得这一点是有帮助的。

So I think that was helpful.

Gotham 早期那些年,我们只投资流动性很强的证券。

The early years of Gotham, we invested in only liquid securities.

大概过了六七年之后,我们回去征求合伙人的同意,获准去做 illiquids 和 privates,还设了 side pockets。

About 6, 7 years in, we went back to the partners and we got permission to do illiquids and privates and set up side pockets.

我当时就想,你知道吗?

I said, you know what?

太复杂了。

Too complicated.

还是只专注在流动性非常强的投资上吧。

Just going to stick to very liquid investments.

这个策略本身是有效的。

The strategy works.

如果我们想做一件可以规模化的事情,那把重点放在流动性强的大盘股上,对我们来说是合理的,所以我们后来就是这么做的。

If we want to do something that's going to scale, it makes sense for us to focus on liquid large-cap stuff, which is what we did.

所以 Pershing 不做 illiquid investments。

So Pershing does not make illiquid investments.

这一点很重要。

That was important.

我感觉在 Gotham 的时候,我在基础设施、系统,还有投资之外的那些业务环节上,投入得有点不够,所以我后来就下定决心,要真正把钱和精力投到这部分业务里。

I felt that at Gotham, I sort of underinvested in infrastructure, systems, the non-investment part of the business, and I committed to really invest in that part of the business.

最后,我还设了一个 advisory board,就是一群投资人、一些有经验的老前辈,我遇到问题可以去请教他们,他们会提出不同意见,也会在要做重大决策的时候帮我。

Lastly, I set up an advisory board, a group of people that were investors, gray hairs who I could go to, who would push back, who would help me when there were big decisions to be made.

我觉得这些都是我一开始做的几件特别重要的事。

I think those were a couple of the really important things I did at the beginning.
M1
M120:46

所以你把 Pershing Square 的历史大致分成了三个阶段。

So you've characterized Pershing Square's history sort of in 3 eras.

第一个是公司成立后的前十一年半,然后是从一五年到一七年那段比较艰难的时期,再之后就是从二零一八年初开始,某种程度上重新回到核心原则。

The first 11.5 years of the firm, challenging period from '15 to '17, and then kind of a recommitment to core principles beginning early 2018.

你能不能分别讲讲这几个阶段,以及你从每个阶段学到了什么教训?

Can you talk about each of those periods and lessons you learned from each.
M3
M321:03

第一个阶段,就像我刚才说的,那十一年半里,我们是高度集中的 activist investors,而且基本上没怎么犯错。

So the first, as I described, 11 and a half years, we were concentrated activist investors and we pretty much did very little wrong.

我们有过几笔不太成功的投资,像 JCPenney,还有在 Borders 上一笔比较小的投资。

We had a couple of unsuccessful investments, JCPenney, a small investment in Borders.

除此之外,我们做的几乎每一笔都非常成功,那段时间扣除费用后的年化复合回报大概是百分之二十一。

Almost everything else we did was a home run, 21% compounded net of fees over that period of time.

到第八年的时候,我们成立了一个叫 Pershing Square Holdings 的东西。

8 years in, we formed something called Pershing Square Holdings.

那是我们一开始尝试获得 permanent capital。

Which was our beginning attempt to get to permanent capital.

我们在二零一四年十月让这个实体上市了,那时公司成立刚好十年。

We took that entity public in October of 2014, 10 years into the life of the firm.

然后大概一年之后,我做了最糟糕的一笔投资,投了一家叫 Valeant Pharmaceuticals 的公司,结果那笔投资我们大概亏了百分之九十。

And then a year or so later, I made the worst investment in a company called Valeant Pharmaceuticals, and we proceeded to lose 90% or so of that investment.

而且那还是一笔规模相当不小的投资。

And it was a pretty decent-sized investment.

它占资本的一千二百个 basis points。

It was 1,200 basis points of capital.

光这一笔本来还不至于造成灾难,问题是当时媒体 headlines 非常负面。

That alone would not be catastrophic except the headlines were extremely negative.

人们开始押注做空我们这家公司。

People started betting against the firm.

我们当时有一个上市实体,里面持有的投资组合都非常透明。

We had a public entity that owned very clear portfolio investments.

所以人们就去做空我们持有的那些股票,同时做多我们唯一做空的那只股票,一家叫 Herbalife 的公司。

So people shorted the stocks we owned and they went long the one stock we were short, a company called Herbalife.

我们战略里 permanent capital 的部分,在高峰时大概有六十亿美元,但 impermanent capital 大概有一百二十亿美元。

And the permanent capital part of our strategy was about $6 billion at the peak, but the impermanent capital was about $12 billion.

投资人在押的一个判断是,我们会开始面临投资人的赎回。

The bet that investors were making was that we were going to start to get redemptions from our investors.

这样一来,我们就会被迫卖出这组高度集中的投资,而这些公司里我们很多都是大股东。

We'd be forced to sell this concentrated collection of investments of which we were major shareholders.

那会把股价压下去,进一步造成负面业绩,进而刺激更多投资人赎回资金,又迫使我们继续卖出。

Would push those prices down, that would contribute to negative performance, which would motivate investors to redeem their capital, which would cause us to sell.

结果我们真的就到了那样一个非常精准的处境。

And we found ourselves in the precise position.

摆在我们面前的选择,要么就是清盘;或者按我的看法,在最低点的时候,Pershing Square Holdings 的股权价值是三十九亿美元。

Our choice was wind up, or the way I looked at it is at the bottom, Pershing Square Holdings had an equity value of $3.9 billion.

它跌了大概百分之三十一,而且那还不算真正的 permanent capital。

It was down 31% or so, and it wasn't permanent capital.

虽然它是公司制结构,但投资人是可以投票决定把这个实体清算掉的。

While it was in a corporate form, investors could vote to liquidate the entity.

所以我后来做的事,就是借了一大笔钱。

And so what I did is I borrowed a bunch of money.

我从对冲基金那部分业务里赎回了一些钱,然后我和另外几位合伙人一起,买入了足够多的 Pershing Square Holdings 股份,把它变成真正的 permanent capital。

I redeemed money from the hedge fund part of the business, and I bought enough along with a couple of my other partners of Pershing Square Holdings to make it permanent capital.

我们把持股提高到了百分之二十五。

We got to 25% of the shares.

我当时说,你看,就算其他资金全都走了,我们现在终于有了一个 permanent capital 的结构。

I said, look, if all the other capital leaves, we finally have a permanent capital structure.

我当时抬头一想,那时候我五十岁,我就说,好吧,Buffett在五十岁的时候,管理了多少资本?

I looked up, I was 50 years old at the time, and I said, okay, how much capital was Buffett managing when he was 50?

答案是,按Berkshire的账面价值来算——这是个挺合理的衡量标准——他五十岁的时候是四亿美元。

The answer is the book value of Berkshire, which is a reasonable measure, was $400 million when he was 50 years old.

所以我就说,好吧,虽然没做通胀调整,但我们的资本差不多是Buffett的将近十倍。

So I said, okay, not inflation-adjusted, but we got almost 10 times as much capital as Buffett.

那就别再干募资这门生意了。

Let's get out of the business of raising money.

做 hedge fund,尤其是大型 hedge fund,任何给你几亿美元的人,都会觉得自己很有资格每年坐下来跟 CEO 见一次面,这也很正常。

Running a hedge fund, particularly a big one, anyone who gives you a few hundred million dollars feels appropriately entitled to sit down with the CEO once a year.

但到了两百亿美元左右,不管具体多少吧,这样的人就很多了,你的时间就都花在飞来飞去见投资人上。

But at $20 billion or whatever, you got a lot of those people and you spend your time flying around meeting with investors.

这让我偏离了投资流程,而这最终也成了那个重大错误的一个重要原因。

That took me away from the investment process that ultimately was a meaningful contributor to a big mistake.

所以我就说,听着,我们要专注在投资上。

And I said, look, we're going to focus on investing.

三十九亿美元的资本已经很多了。

$3.9 billion of capital is plenty of money.

如果我们的复利表现哪怕接近历史水平,时间一长,这个数字就会大到近乎无限。

If we compounded anything close to what we have done historically, this turns into infinity over time.

我们一直都想要 permanent capital。

We've always wanted permanent capital.

原本的计划是以后总会走到那一步。

The plan was to get there eventually.

现在我们有了。

Now we have it.

只是我们的规模比原来想的小一点。

We're just smaller than we thought.

哦,对了,顺便说一句,我们当时也偏航了。

Oh, and by the way, we veered.

Valeant Pharmaceuticals 不符合我们那种简单、可预测的模型。

Valeant Pharmaceuticals did not meet our simple predictable model.

也不符合我们的 checklist。

Didn't meet our checklist.

但你知道吗?

But you know what?

我们从来没把这份 checklist 真正写在纸上,所以我们决定把它刻在 granite 上。

We never put our checklist down on a piece of paper, so we're going to put it down on granite.

我找团队里的一个成员帮忙,他家里是做 granite 墓碑的。

I asked a member of the team, the extended family was in granite tombstones.

我说,你回头给我弄回来。

I said, come back.

我要把这个东西挂在墙上,就像 Moses 的十诫一样。

I want this thing on the wall, like Moses' 10 Commandments.

结果他带回来一个 deal toy。

And he comes back with a deal toy.

不过 deal toy 的好处是,我们做了五十个,到处都放了一份,每个会议室、每个人的桌上都有。

But the benefit of a deal toy is we made 50 of them and we put them everywhere, in every conference room and everyone's desk.

然后我们就一直坚守这些原则,而且我们也有了 permanent capital。

And we've kept to the principles and we've had permanent capital.

这就是一个巨大的竞争优势。

And it's a huge competitive advantage.

从二零一八年一月开始,也就是 permanent capital 元年,我们的净复合回报率达到百分之二十四,这是我们有史以来最好的表现。

Since January of 2018, the permanent capital year, we've compounded at 24% net, which is the best we've ever done.

从长期来看是这样。

Over time.

我把这归因于,第一,专注。

And I attribute it to, one, focus.

第二,没有干扰。

Two, no distractions.

我不会到处飞来飞去见投资人。

I'm not flying around meeting with investors.

第三,虽然我们最初那十一年半业绩做得很好,但投资人的资金其实会稀释我们的回报,因为我们的投资组合很集中,资金会不断流进来。

Three, as well as we did in our first 11 and a half years, investors actually diluted our returns because we had a concentrated portfolio and capital would just flow in.

资金流出的时候,钱很难管。

It's hard to manage money with capital leaving.

但同样,太多资金涌进来的时候,也很难管理。

It's also hard to manage money with all that capital coming in.

而现在,我们有了一个有限且稳定的资本基础,这也是 Buffett 六十年来一直享有的优势。

And now we have a finite base of capital, what Buffett's had the benefit of for 60 years.

我自己也享受这个优势八年了,而且这真的是个巨大的优势。

Had the benefit of for eight, and it's a huge advantage.

这让我们能够,尤其是在市场压力大的时期,采取更主动的姿态,在别人还在因为担心赎回而开始提高现金比例的时候,我们就已经可以投入资本了。

And it enabled us, particularly in periods of stress, we could be front-footed and be committing capital when your typical investment manager is starting to raise cash because they're going to get redemptions.

而这确实是一个非常优越的位置。

And it's just a very privileged place to be.

我们打算一直保持这种 permanent capital。

We intend to stay in this permanent capital.

我们以后不会再接受哪怕一美元的非永久性资本。

We're never going to have another dollar of impermanent capital.

我们当时并没有清盘我们的 hedge fund。

We didn't liquidate our hedge fund.

任何想把钱拿走的人,都可以把钱拿走。

Anyone who wants their money can take their money.

然后还有一些很倔的人,就是不肯走。

And then we had some stubborn people who wouldn't leave.

所以我们现在还保留着几十亿美元这样的资本,其中有些投资人都九十岁,甚至一百岁了。

So we have a couple billion dollars of that capital, and some of those people are 90 or 100 years old.

我有一位投资人,二十一年前给了我两百万美元,他在投资后过了几年拿走了一百万,现在他账上有三千万美元,他非常开心,而且他已经九十四岁了。

I have an investor who gave me $2 million 21 years ago, and he took out a million a couple years after he invested, and now he's got $30 million and he's very happy and he's 94.

他会时不时来问问情况。

He checks in periodically.

这就是我唯一会接的电话。

Those are the only calls I take.

如果我那位一百岁的投资人想了解最近情况怎么样,我很乐意接他们的电话。

When my 100-year-old investor wants to see how things are going, I'm happy to take their call.
M2
M225:57

这点非常关键。

This is key.

我们在课上经常跟学生讲,Michael、我,还有很多其他人,都会说,如果你真的想成为一个成功的投资人,重点不只是你资产端持有什么。

Something that we tell the students in the class, Michael, myself, many others, is that if you want to really be a successful investor, it's not just about what you will have on the asset side.

你还必须非常认真地思考你这个投资载体的负债端,因为那会决定你的业绩表现。

It's very important to think carefully about the liability side of your vehicle because that's going to be determinative for your performance.

我记得你去年年报里有一句话写得特别漂亮,所以我想读给观众听。

I think you have a beautiful line in your annual report last year, so I want to read it for the audience.

波动性,是持有短期资本的资产管理人的敌人,却是拥有 permanent capital 的投资人的朋友。

Volatility is the enemy of the asset manager with short-term capital, and the friend of the investor with permanent capital.

我觉得这句话非常准确地概括了资产管理人资产端和负债端之间的那种联系。

I think that really encapsulates that connection between the asset and the liability side of an asset manager.

Bill,我想再回到你的投资理念上。

I want to go, Bill, back to your investment philosophy.

你的职业生涯里做过很多不同的事。

So one of the things about your career, you've done many things.

你做过 restructuring,也做过 turnaround,也做过那种比较传统的价值投资——投你认为在可预见的未来能以很高回报持续复利增长的公司。

You've done the restructuring, you've done the turnaround, you've done the traditional value play on a company that you think is going to be compounding at a great return for the foreseeable future.

这些你都做过。

You've done all these things.

我想稍微退后一步来看。

I want to take a little bit of a step back.

你在这些不同操作模式里,真正一直在寻找的、共同的东西到底是什么?

What is it that you're looking for that is common across all these modes that you have of operating?

我们会跟学生们讲的一件事,也是我从 Bruce Greenwald 那儿学到的,就是专注很重要。你要通过反复做同一件事,变得非常擅长。

And one of the things that we tell the students, this is something that I learned from Bruce Greenwald, is specialization is important, that you become good at doing one thing repeatedly.

但你看起来好像已经掌握了这种能力,能够在很多不同的投资方式之间切换。

You seem to have mastered this ability to change across many different ways of investing.

你觉得这是你会推荐给学生们的吗?

Do you think this is something you would recommend to the students?

还是说,你觉得这是你身上比较独特的东西,是因为你有这样的团队,所以才能这么做?

Is it something that you think is unique to you, something that you have the team to do it?

你是怎么理解这个问题的?

How do you think about that?
M3
M327:31

不管你的投资哲学是什么,随着时间推移,随着经验积累,它都会不断演变。

Everyone over time, whatever investment philosophy you have, it develops with experience.

我刚开始的时候,资本基础还很小。

When I first started, it was a small capital base.

那时候我们买的是便宜、而且有催化因素的东西。

We were buying cheap things with a catalyst.

那就是 Gotham。

That was Gotham.

到了 Pershing Square,我们的思路是,去找世界上最好的企业,找那些能够持续增长的公司。

In Pershing Square, it was about let's find the best businesses in the world, durable growth companies.

我们可以在非常长的时间跨度里,对它们保持很高程度的信心。

We can have a very high degree of confidence over a very long period of time.

它们的收入和现金流会以非常不错的速度持续增长。

They're going to grow their revenues and cash flows at a very nice rate.

这就是我们所说的世界上最好的企业。

What we think of as the best businesses in the world.

但这种策略的问题在于,人人都想持有世界上最好的企业。

And the problem with a strategy like that is everyone wants to own the best businesses in the world.

你只有在用合理的价格买到世界上最好的企业时,才能获得超额回报。

You can only make excess returns if you buy the best businesses in the world at a price that makes sense.

这就让我们把重点放在这样一些案例上:一家非常优秀的企业,要么正经历一段非常艰难的时期,而我们认为不管这个挑战是什么,都是可以逆转的;要么是因为某些原因,市场没有真正意识到这家企业到底有多优秀;或者他们在看这家公司时,过度放大了某个宏观因素之类的影响。

That led us to focus on cases where a really great business was either going through a really challenging time, and we thought whatever the challenge was, was a reversible challenge, or for whatever reason, the market didn't appreciate how great that business really is, or they overweighted a macro factor or something in how they thought about the company.

我们随着时间发展出来的一项竞争优势,其实很早就开始了,早在 Gotham 早期,我们做的第一笔大型 activist investment,Rockefeller Center Properties,那已经是很久以前的事了。你要这么想,private equity sponsor 在把一家上市公司私有化的时候,通常会支付百分之三十、百分之四十、甚至百分之五十的溢价。

One of our competitive advantages that we developed over time and really began as early as the early days of Gotham with the first big activist investment that we made, Rockefeller Center Properties, going way back in time, is that if you think about it, a private equity sponsor, when they take private a public company, they're paying a 30%, 40%, 50% premium.

为什么会有人愿意为一家上市公司支付百分之三十、百分之四十的溢价?按理说,市场应该会让企业以合理的价格交易才对。

Why would someone pay a 30%, 40% premium for a public company when it should be that markets cause businesses to trade at sensible prices?

他们之所以愿意支付这个溢价,是因为控制权的价值非常非常大。

The reason why they're prepared to pay the premium is because control is enormously valuable.

控制权之所以有价值,是因为你可以更换管理层,可以改变治理结构,可以调整战略、成本结构,等等。

Control is valuable because you can change the management, you can change the governance, you can change the strategy, the cost structure, et cetera.

从历史上看,我们最大的竞争优势就是,我们能够在大家对管理层或者对当下处境非常失望的时候买入。

The biggest competitive advantage we've had historically is we're able to buy at a time when people are very disappointed with management or the circumstance.

那时候股票本身就很便宜,但在我们手里,从我们建仓后的第二天开始,我们就能让自己处在一个具有巨大影响力的位置上。

The stock is inherently cheap, but in our hands, the day after we own our position, we can get ourselves in a position of enormous influence.

再往前走到最极致的一步,就是发起 proxy contest,拿到董事会控制权。你只要做成过几次,之后基本上就可以靠这份战绩,获得一种非常接近控制权的影响力。

Taking the ultimate step in that direction, which is running a proxy contest and getting control of the board, you only have to do that a few times before you're able to just use that track record to basically capture something pretty close to control.

我们等于是在打折拿到控制权溢价,或者说,以折扣价拿到控制权带来的收益,这就是一个巨大的优势。

We get the control premium at a discount or the control benefit at a discount, which is a huge advantage.

如果我们用一块钱里六毛或者七毛的价格,买到一个对拥有控制权的人来说值一块三的东西,那就是我们起步时的优势。

If we're paying 60 cents or 70 cents on the dollar for something that's worth 130 cents to someone who's got control, that's our beginning advantage.

然后我们再利用这个优势,去修复那个导致股价出现明显折价的问题。

And then we use that advantage to fix the thing that's causing the stock to trade at a meaningful discount.

接着,我们就能够在很长时间里,持有一家很优秀、能够持续增长、而且由一个很出色的人来经营的公司。

And then we own some great durable growth company with a great person running it over a very long period of time.

这样的事,我们已经做成过很多次了。

And we've done that a number of times.

为什么要集中持仓?

Why concentration?

因为第一,真正了不起、又能持续增长、同时还能以有吸引力的价格买到的公司,其实并没有那么多。

Because one, there aren't that many amazing durable growth companies that you find available at an attractive price.

第二,作为大股东,你在边际上能多持有的那部分股份,会提高你的影响力。

And two, being a big shareholder, the marginal share you can own on the margin increases your influence.

另外,我们的时间也有限,而且我相信组织应该用一个小团队来运作。

We also have a limited amount of time, and I believe in running an organization with a small team.

按不同口径来算的话,今天我们在 Pershing Square 负责管理的资产有三百亿美元。

We have, depending on how you count, $30 billion of assets we're responsible for today at Pershing Square.

一个典型的、管理三百亿美元资产的资管公司,通常有几百名员工,甚至上千名。

A typical $30 billion asset manager has hundreds, if not thousands, of employees.

我们只有四十一名员工,而且这四十一人并不都是投资专业人士。

We have 41 employees, and that's not 41 investment professionals.

这类人我们有八个,再加上我。

We have eight of those plus me.

我们还负责做会计,还有几家上市公司也是我们在负责,我们会处理它们所有的公开申报文件。

We also do the accounting, a couple of public companies that we're responsible for, that we do all the public filings.

我们现在还有几个私募基金,而这些事我们都能靠一个很小的团队完成。

We still have a couple of private funds, and we're able to do that with a very small team.

这是一个优势。

That's an advantage.

但我们今天最难做的事,是挑出那种我们能高度确信、会在很长一段时间里持续增长的企业。

But the hardest thing that we do today is picking the business that we can have a high degree of confidence is going to durably grow over a long period of time.

这其实就是在评估 Buffett 所说的 moat。

And that's about assessing what Buffett called a moat.

一家公司的结构性竞争优势以及其他竞争优势到底是什么?

What are the structural and other competitive advantages of a company?

而在一个不断变化的世界里,尤其是还有 AI 这类技术发展的时候,这件事是非常难做的。

And that's a very hard thing to do in a dynamic world, particularly with technological developments like AI, et cetera.

你看看 Berkshire Hathaway 的历史。

You look at Berkshire Hathaway history.

我的意思是,Buffett 持有过这些企业,而且他说,它们都很了不起。

I mean, Buffett owned these businesses and he said, they were amazing.

报纸,World Book Encyclopedia。

Newspapers, World Book Encyclopedia.

我也不知道,比如挨家挨户卖吸尘器这种生意。

I don't know, selling vacuums door to door.

如果你回头去看 Dexter Shoe。

If you go back and look at Dexter Shoe.

他持有过很多企业,而这位世界上最优秀的投资人之一,曾经认为它们都有这种持久的 moat。

There are a lot of businesses that he owned that one of the best investors in the world thought had these durable moats.

但后来,技术或全球化,或者两者结合,颠覆了它们。

Some combination of technology or globalization disrupted them.

所以,对我们来说,关键就是找到那些真正持久的 moat,而这也是我们最难做的事。

So the key for us is finding those really durable moats, and that's the hardest thing that we do.

我觉得这也是商学院需要教得更好的一件事,因为任何人多少都能搭一个 discounted cash flow model,但难点在于预测未来。

It's something that I think the business schools need to do a better job teaching because anyone can sort of build a discounted cash flow model, but the hard part is predicting the future.

而我觉得,只有面对那种极其持久的企业时,你才有可能做到这一点。

And you can only do that, I think, if it's this incredibly durable business.

所以,我认为,理解一家企业为什么能够持久,是我们最难的一项工作。

So understanding what makes a business durable, I think, is the hardest job that we have.
M2
M231:57

这一点我太同意你了。

I couldn't agree more with you on this.

Michael,我在商学院教书已经三十年了,我想其中至少有二十五年都是这样。

I've been teaching business schools for 30 years, Michael, for I think as many as 25 years.

我发现自己越来越少去教估值里那些技术性的部分——当然,学生们还是需要懂,也必须掌握——而是更多去讲,好,我们来想想这门生意最核心的经济逻辑到底是什么。

One of the things I find myself more and more teaching less the technical components of valuation, which of course the kids need to know and you need to master them, and more about, okay, let's think about the core economics of this business.

它到底是怎么运作的?

How does it work?

预测未来很难,尤其是一旦涉及技术,或者有时候涉及监管,它会怎么影响这门生意,就更难了。

It's difficult to forecast the future, particularly when it comes to technology or maybe sometimes regulation, or how is it gonna affect the business?

但至少你得先识别出,从经济层面看,什么地方可能出问题,什么东西可能会削弱这家公司的业务运作。

But at least you have to identify what can go wrong from an economic point of view, what can compromise the business operations of this firm.

然后你就是承担一个经过判断的风险。

And then you take an educated risk.

我是说,要预测未来很难,但至少你知道自己承担的是什么风险。

I mean, it's difficult to predict the future, but you know, at least you know the risks that you're taking.

而大多数时候,问题在于你根本不知道自己承担了什么风险。

And most of the time, the problem is that you don't know the risks that you're taking.

顺着这个思路,我们在准备这次采访的时候,看了你最近很多访谈。

So in this vein, preparing this interview, we looked at many of your recent interviews.

你对——我这么说吧,我换个方式来讲——对这个 new economy 有一个很有意思的看法。

You had a very interesting take on, let me put it this way, let me frame it this way, on the new economy.

你当时在谈 Uber,以及你怎么看待这一类公司。

You were talking about Uber and how you think about that class of businesses.

所以我想就这个再多问你一点。

And I wanted to ask you a little bit about this.

new economy 很突出的一个特点就是,你会看到这些公司几乎没有什么 CapEx,差不多可以这么说,因为它们不用买车,也不用给司机发工资。

One of the things that is striking about the new economy is that you see these businesses with no CapEx whatsoever, so to speak, because you're not buying the cars, you're not paying the drivers.

也就是说,不管它提供的具体是什么服务,新增一单位供给的边际成本几乎接近于零。

Where the marginal cost of supplying an additional unit of whatever it is that you're doing is close to zero.

所以要跟这类公司竞争就非常难,因为它们总能把你压下去。

So it's very difficult to compete with those businesses because they can always bring you down.

你甚至连固定成本的投入都收不回来。

You won't be able even to recoup your fixed cost investment.

你怎么看这些行业里的进入壁垒未来会怎么演变?一方面,像 network externality 这样的因素会形成 moat 来保护你;另一方面,这又像是个完美的生意,因为你会随着客户一起增长。

How do you think entry is going to evolve in many of these businesses where you are protected by these moats because of the network externality, say, and at the same time, it's a perfect business because you grow with your customers.

比如 Uber 会随着经济增长、随着人们更多打车而增长。

Uber grows with the economy when people take rides.

Netflix 会随着经济增长。

Netflix grows with the economy.

Salesforce 会随着它们客户的增长而增长。

Salesforce grows as their customers grow.

而且你不需要为了扩张业务再做太多实质性的投入,某种意义上说,这就是纯 organic growth。

And you don't have to meaningfully invest in growing your business, pure organic growth, so to speak.

你怎么看这种 new economy?面对正在发生的这些变化,你又会怎么调整自己的投资?

How do you think about that new economy and how do you adapt your investment to those changes that are taking place?
M3
M333:58

要说唯一不符合这个标准的公司,其实是 Netflix。

The only business I would say that doesn't meet that standard is actually Netflix.

Netflix 必须投入巨额资本去开发内容。

Netflix has to invest enormous amounts of capital in developing content.

不过没错,我们很喜欢我们所谓的这类“收版税”的公司。

But yes, we love what we call these royalty-collecting companies.

其中有些属于 new economy,比如你可以说 Uber 是;还有一些,我会说是相当传统的 old-fashioned economy。

And some of them are new economy, like you could say Uber, and some of them I would say are pretty old-fashioned economy.

一个很好的例子就是 Hilton。

And a good example of that is Hilton.

酒店行业已经存在了几百年,也许甚至上千年。

The hotel business has been around for hundreds, thousands of years perhaps.

Hilton 的独特之处在于,它把品牌和业主、以及房地产投资分开了。

What's unique about Hilton is they separated the brand from the owner and the real estate investment.

Buffett 总是会说,世界上最好的生意,是那种资本回报率非常高,而且还能持续提供更多机会,让你把新增资本以高回报率继续投进去的生意。

Buffett always would say the best businesses in the world are ones that earn very high return on capital, and they provide more and more opportunity to invest incremental capital at high returns.

我觉得那当然是很好的生意,但我不同意他的看法。

I think that's a very good business, but I disagree with him.

我认为,世界上最好的生意是那种资本回报高得惊人的公司,而且为了继续保持高速增长,它们根本不需要再投入资本。

I think the best businesses in the world that earn enormous returns on capital, in order to continue to grow at a high rate, they don't need to reinvest.

你实际上甚至可以直接把这些资本从业务里拿出来。

You can actually literally take that capital out of the business.

这类公司算是我们最喜欢的。

Those are sort of our favorite companies.

这种轻资本模式,也就是轻资本型企业,一般都能增长得更快。

The sort of capital-light model, the capital-light businesses generally can grow faster.

它们消耗的资本更少。

They consume less capital.

如果它们在各自的领域里是主导公司,而且因为网络效应之类的原因,护城河又很宽,那它们就会是非常惊人的好生意。

And if they are the dominant company in their respective space and the moats are large because of network effects or otherwise, they can be really amazing businesses.

我们的投资组合基本上就全是这种公司。

And our portfolio is basically filled with them.

Universal Music 本质上就是对人们听音乐这件事收版税,Hilton 是对人们住酒店收版税,Uber 则是对人们打车出行收版税。

Universal Music is a royalty on people listening to music and Hilton's a royalty on people staying in hotels and Uber's a royalty on people getting driven around.

Brookfield 的 asset management 业务也是最优秀的生意之一,因为它本质上是一家收版税的公司。

Brookfield, the asset management business, is one of the great businesses because it's a royalty-collecting company.

我们在 Pershing Square 这家 management company 唯一的 CapEx,就是把办公空间装修出来,这个我们在六七年前做过,而且做得挺不错。

The only CapEx we have at Pershing Square, the management company, is the build-out of our space, which we did 6 or 7 years ago, and we did a nice job.

我觉得我们应该不用再做一次了。

And I don't think we're going to have to do that again.

可能也就是偶尔刷刷漆。

Maybe we have to paint every once in a while.

世界上最有价值的企业,往往都是那些拥有真正经常性现金流的公司。

The most valuable businesses in the world tend to be ones that have truly recurring-type cash flows.

所以比起那些制造东西的 widget companies,我们更喜欢这类公司。

So we prefer those kinds of businesses versus widget companies, which make things.

因为你总有风险,哪天车库里几个人就做出了一个更好的产品。

There's a risk that a couple people in a garage make a better one.

Uber 面临的风险在于,Tesla 可能会以非常低的成本每五秒造出一辆车,然后整个世界到处都会变成 Tesla,它们的市场份额会大到足以把这个平台挤掉。

The threat to Uber is that Tesla's going to produce a car every 5 seconds at a very low cost and just the entire universe is going to become Teslas and their market share will be so significant that they'll displace the platform.

这就是风险。

That's the risk.

如果你相信未来的世界会是自动驾驶汽车的世界,而且不是只有一家制造商在造,而是很多家;如果你相信客户真正要的,并不是一辆 Tesla 把他从一个地方送到另一个地方,而是一辆干净的车,能以最快速度、最低成本到达;那么,那个市场本身、那个掌控市场的平台,不就是消费者会去的地方,不就是交通或配送需求的第一站吗?

If you believe the world will be autonomous vehicles, not made by just one manufacturer, by many, and that really what the customer's looking for is not a Tesla to take them from one place to another, but a clean vehicle that arrives in the fastest time at the lowest cost, isn't the marketplace, the controller of the marketplace, the place that the consumer's going to go, the first stop for transportation or delivery.

随着时间推移,我们觉得 Uber 在这方面会有非常强的主导地位,而且我们认为这种主导地位只会越来越强。

Over time, we think Uber's got a very dominant position there, and we think that dominance actually only goes up over time.
M1
M136:30

Pershing Square 一直以集中持仓著称。

Pershing Square is known for concentration.

你们有没有什么具体的治理机制或者流程设计,比如 checklist、pre-mortem 或者 dissent protocol,来让集中持仓保留好处、又不至于变得脆弱?

Do you guys have any specific governance or process elements, whether it's checklists or pre-mortems or dissent protocols that keep the benefit of concentration from turning into a fragility?
M3
M336:44

我们决定仓位大小时,会看一笔投资我们能赚多少、又可能亏多少。

We think about sizing something based on how much we can make and how much we can lose.

对于任何一笔投资,我们都愿意承担大概五个点资本的风险。

And we're prepared to risk something like 5 percentage points of capital on any one investment.

所以,如果一笔投资要在组合里变成百分之十五的仓位,我们就必须相信,这个仓位里有三分之一,也就是五个点,发生永久性资本损失的概率必须低到几乎可以忽略不计。

So for something to become a 15% investment in the portfolio, we have to believe that the probability of a permanent loss of capital of a third of the position, 5 percentage points, has got to be de minimis.

这跟很多因素有关,比如公司的财务状况。

It relates to things like the financial position of the company.

如果这是一家没有杠杆的公司,或者是一家融资非常保守的公司,那显然会有助于降低这类风险。

If it's an unlevered company or it's a very conservatively financed company, that helps mitigate obviously that kind of risk.

我刚才举的是百分之十五仓位的例子。

The example I gave was the 15% position.

我们必须相信,这个业务足够受到保护,不至于出现永久性资本损失的风险。

We have to believe the business is sufficiently protected from the risk of a permanent loss of capital.

这就要看我们之前谈到的那些因素。

And that's an assessment of some of the factors we talked about before.

增长的持续性有多强,这门生意的本质是什么。

How durable is the growth, the nature of the business?

我们不喜欢那些暴露在我们无法控制的外部因素之下的公司。

We don't like companies that have exposure to extrinsic factors we can't control.

比如说利率、大宗商品价格、监管因素。

So think rates, commodity prices, regulatory factors.

所以,如果你的投资组合里全是 mining companies、oil and gas companies 和 banks,那我对集中持仓的看法就会和另一种情况完全不同;另一种情况是,你持有的基本上都是没有杠杆或保守加杠杆的 royalty-collecting companies,买入估值也很有吸引力,而且你对这些业务还有很强影响力。

So if you have a portfolio of mining companies and oil and gas companies and banks, I think very differently about concentration than if you have a portfolio of basically unlevered or conservatively levered royalty-collecting companies that you purchased at attractive valuations and businesses that you have a lot of influence over.

所以如果你看我们现在的投资组合,百分之九十五都是这种,或者百分之九十七吧,也许是百分之九十五。

So if you look at the portfolio we have today, 95% of our portfolio looks like that, or 97%, maybe it's 95%.

我们有两个持仓。

And we have 2 positions.

其中一个是 Hertz,我们买入的是一家资产负债表杠杆非常非常高、而且正处在业务扭转过程中的公司。

One is Hertz, where we've bought into a company that has a very, very levered balance sheet and going in the midst of a turnaround.

在这种情况下,资本永久性损失的概率肯定不是零,而且还明显高于零;但根据我们对他们正在做的事情的判断,以及他们成功完成这件事的概率,我们认为这里的上行空间大概有七倍。

The probability of a permanent loss of capital in that kind of situation is well above zero, but our assessment of what they're doing and the probability of their being successful in doing so tells us that the upside here is like a 7x.

所以 downside 就是,理论上我们可能会把钱亏掉;而 upside 是,我们可以赚到七到八倍。

So the downside is we could theoretically lose our money, and the upside is we can make 7 or 8 times our money.

所以我们会投一小部分资本。

So we will invest a small amount of capital.

这个仓位在建仓时大概只占几个百分点,投在一个有可能归零、但也可能让我们赚到好几倍本金的标的上。

This was a couple percentage point position on the way in, in something which can go to zero, but where we can make multiples of our capital.

而在 Hertz 这个案例里,我们相信我们可以帮助他们把财务损失的风险降到最低。

And in the case of Hertz, we believe that we could help them minimize the risk of a financial loss.

所以这不只是一个完全被动的操作。

So it's not just a completely passive exercise.

我们基本上买下了这家公司百分之二十的股份。

We bought basically 20% of the company.

就在昨天,他们做了一笔 convert,这会再给他们带来四亿多美元的资本,基本上把公司的违约风险给拿掉了。

Just yesterday they did a convert, which is going to give them another $400+ million of capital, really take away the risk of default from the company.

所以这是一个我们觉得自己能帮上忙的案例。

So it was a case where we felt we could help.

在我们投资之前,这只股票的交易价格大概在三块五毛钱。

Stock was trading around $3.50 prior to our investment.

我们认为,我们作为投资者的存在,第一,会推动股价上涨,而这实际上会提高他们获得资本的能力,降低摊薄风险;另外我们自己也可以在财务上支持这家公司。

We thought the presence of us as an investor would, one, cause the stock price to go up, which would actually increase their access to capital, reduce the risk of dilution, and then we could also be financially supportive of the company.

他们昨天做这笔交易的时候,我们在这笔交易里投了一亿两千五百万美元。

When they did this transaction yesterday, we were $125 million of the transaction.

但再说一次,因为有风险,这种类型的仓位会比较小。

But again, because of the risk, that kind of position is small.

所以,我们在集中持仓的同时规避风险的方式是:第一,尽量减少对那些暴露在我们无法控制、而且有风险因素之下的企业的敞口;持有这类有主导地位、低杠杆的公司;然后把那些可能出现资本永久性损失的投资控制得非常非常小。

So the way we avoid risk with concentration is one, we minimize exposure to businesses that have exposure to factors we can't control that are risky, own these sort of dominant low-leverage companies, and we keep investments where there could be a permanent loss of capital to be very, very small.

大概就这些因素,是我能说的。

And that's really the factors I can say.
M2
M239:52

我想稍微转个话题,往后退一步来看。

I want to pivot a little bit and take a step back.

当然,随着 artificial intelligence 的到来,主动投资人在做选股分析这件事上,还剩下多大空间?

With the advent, of course, of artificial intelligence, what is the room for an active investor doing stock selection analysis?

你觉得,随着这波 artificial intelligence 的爆发,竞争格局会受到什么样的影响?

And how do you think competitive dynamics are going to be affected by this outburst of artificial intelligence?

你会担心这个行业未来的发展吗?

Does it worry you for the future of the industry?

你是怎么想这件事的?

How do you think about it?
M3
M340:16

我会说,现在我们这个行业里绝大多数资本,其实已经是被动管理了,这本质上就是机器在管,而不是那么多在主动选股。

Already, I would say the vast amount of capital in our industry is managed passively, which is really machines, not so much picking stocks.

说白了,就是机器按照指令去持有指数里有什么,它就买什么。

It's really just machines following the direction to own whatever is in the index.

这在我们行业里已经是一个非常重要、影响很大的现象。

And that's been a very important and significant phenomenon in our industry.

而且它也是市场里的一个主要因素。

And it's a major factor in markets.

如果每家公司都有百分之二十五的股份被指数基金持有,而且这个比例实际还更高,因为很多人出于业务上的原因,基本上也是跟着指数走,那一只股票的边际买家和边际卖家,对它价格的影响就会大得多。

If 25% of every company is owned by indexers and an even greater percentage, because a lot of people for business reasons pretty much follow the index, the marginal buyer and seller of a stock is going to move it a lot more.

你现在会看到这样一种现象:今天的边际买家和卖家,很多时候其实是 pod shop。

And you see this phenomenon where the marginal buyer and seller today is often a pod shop.

所以,指数化持有,加上那些由非常大规模资本管理、但投资视角又非常短期的投资者,这两者结合起来,就会导致这样一个世界:公司只要业绩低于或者高于预期,哪怕是 mega-cap 公司,你也会看到股价出现巨大的波动;而在我看来,这对集中型投资者反而是一个有利的环境。

So the combination of index ownership plus the very large amounts of capital managed by investors that have very short-term orientation leads to a world in which companies that miss or exceed estimates, when you see massive stock price moves for even mega-cap companies, I view that as a favorable world for the concentrated investor.

因为时不时地,一家特别优秀的企业,会因为某些原因让人失望,股价大幅下跌,而那时候市场上会有大量流动性,你就可以趁机买入这笔投资。

Because every once in a while, a really great business, the price is going to go down a lot because they disappointed for some reason, and there'll be a ton of liquidity at that time where you can buy an investment.

所以我觉得这算是一个积极因素。

So I think that's sort of a positive factor.

那说到 AI 这边,机器会不会聪明到不再需要人了?

Now, on the AI side, are the machines going to become so smart that they won't need people?

也许这里面是有一点道理的。

Maybe there's some truth to that.

通常会发生的是,机器是由人来控制的,而因为这些可用的杠杆,他们能搬运更多的土方。

Usually what happens is machines are controlled by humans that, because of the levers that are available, they move greater amounts of earth.

结果就是,他们能盖出更宏大的建筑。

And as a result, they produce greater buildings.

现在,软件会变得越来越便宜,因为很多软件都会由 AI 来写。

And now that software is going to become cheaper and cheaper because AI is going to write a lot of it.

这很惊人,就像是一个超级强化版的文字处理和拼写检查工具,只不过是用来写软件的。

It's amazing, like a super enhanced version of word processing and spell check for writing software.

以后写软件需要的人会更少,但它会以前所未有的方式,把这个世界向人类创造力打开。

It's going to have fewer people will be needed to write software, but it will open up the world to, I would say, human creativity in a way that it hasn't before.

我们现在已经到了这样一个阶段,你根本不需要懂怎么写软件。

We're at a place now where you don't need to know anything about writing software.

你也能写软件。

Where you can write software.

你会——应该会看到新型软件的大爆发,用来解决各种新的问题,因为以前接触不到编程的人,现在也能创办一家公司,或者只是给自己写一个小 app,来解决某个具体问题。

You're going to, should see an explosion of new kinds of software to solve new kinds of problems because people who didn't have access to programming before can now build a company or just write a little app for themselves to solve a particular problem.

我觉得市场会需要越来越多、更好的软件,而这也会要求人们持续投入大量资源,去做出最好的软件。

I think the market will demand more and more and better software, which will require continued significant investment in producing the best software.

从投资这个角度看,我喜欢我们所做的事情的一点是,我觉得它相对不太会被 AI 取代,因为其中有非常重要的人性成分。

On the investment side, what I like about what we do that I think is relatively protected from AI is there's a very significant human component.

比如对董事会的判断,他们会如何回应一个大股东,过程中发生的谈判,挑选出最适合经营这家公司的人,把这个人招募过来,和他们持续互动,并谈妥一套薪酬安排。

The assessment of a board, how they respond to a large owner, the negotiations that take place, the selection of who's the best person to run this company, recruiting them to do so, engaging with them and negotiating a compensation arrangement.

这里面很多事情,我觉得都不会由 AI 来完成。

A lot of these things are things that I think it's not going to be done by AI.

我们的策略里有一个非常强调人的部分,而这本来就需要人的参与。

There's a very human part of our strategy, which requires a human element.

如果这是一家非常由量化驱动的公司,那我对你这个问题的回答就会很不一样。

If this were a very quantitatively driven firm, I would have a very different answer to your question.

所以我觉得,这真的取决于投资者的性质。

So I think it really depends on the nature of the investor.
M1
M143:02

所以 Bill,你在二零零八年在 Columbia 发起了 Pershing Square Value Investing and Philanthropy Challenge,你会主持决赛,也会出资提供奖金,这些都很棒。

So Bill, you launched the Pershing Square Value Investing and Philanthropy Challenge at Columbia back in 2008, and you host the finals and you fund the prizes, which is all wonderful.

那些最优秀的学生路演里,有没有什么地方是一直都让你印象深刻的?

Is there anything that consistently impresses you about the top student pitches?

还有,随着时间推移,你看到学生们常犯的错误有哪些?

What are the common mistakes that you see that students make over time?

以及,他们谈过的内容里,有没有什么曾经改变过你自己的流程,或者改变过你看待某件事的方式?

And has anything they've ever talked about changed your own process or how you thought about something?
M3
M343:25

几乎每一年,质量都在提高。

Almost every year the quality has gone up.

我记得最开始那几年,说实话,我对学生和他们路演的质量是有点失望的。

I remember the first couple of years I was a little disappointed, I would say, with the quality of the students and the pitches.

其实我觉得 Columbia Business School 在过去这些年里,已经实质性地变成了一所更好的商学院——这个奖办了多久了?

I actually think Columbia Business School has become a materially better business school over the last— how long has the prize been going on?

现在大概快二十年了吧。

It's maybe almost 20 years now.

也许这是因为 Pershing Square Prize 帮它招来了更好的学生。

Maybe that's because of the Pershing Square Prize recruiting better students.

但我觉得,Columbia 现在已经被大家视为这样一个地方:如果你毕业后想进入投资行业,那这里是个非常好的去处。

But I think Columbia's become known as a place to go where if you want to go into the investment business when you graduate, it's a very good place to go.

所以我觉得,这是优秀师资、好的项目,以及吸引优秀学生,这几方面结合在一起,形成了这样一种良性循环。

So I think it's a combination of very good faculty, good programs, and attracting good students, and becomes this sort of virtuous cycle.

进入决赛的学生都非常出色。

The finalists are excellent.

我觉得有时候他们做出来的 deck,动不动就是两百页材料,你通常很容易在里面见树不见林。

I think sometimes the decks they put together, they're like 200 pages of stuff, and usually you can get lost in the forest there.

绝大多数投资,其实你真正需要搞明白的,也就那么几个关键点,知道这是不是一个你想投的地方。

The vast majority of investments, there's really only a handful of things you need to understand in order to know that this is a place you want to invest.

为了证明他们做了很多功课,他们就会塞进去一大堆东西,跟一本电话簿那么厚。

To demonstrate they've done a lot of work, they sort of put a whole phone book worth of stuff.

我觉得更厉害的,反而是那种把你需要知道的都给你了,但你不需要知道的东西不会塞给你的。

And I think the more impressive ones are ones where they give you everything you need to know, but not the stuff you don't need to know.
M1
M144:28

这一点我在教学生的时候也会特别强调。

I emphasize that with my students as well.

一个人要怎么学会这种提炼能力,能抓住某个投资最关键、最核心的问题?

How does one learn that skill of distillation to the linchpin key issues for a particular investment?

这只是靠大量重复和经验积累,还是说有办法把这个能力教给别人?

Is that just reps and experience, or is there some way you can teach that to others?
M3
M344:42

很大一部分确实是经验。

A lot of it's experience.

我觉得一种教学方法就是 case method,多看一个又一个投资案例。

I think one way to teach it is just case method, going over example after example of investing.

但说到底,决定一家企业能不能成功的,先从收入开始看。

But at the end of the day, what matters for the success of a business is, let's start with revenues.

这是不是一家会随着时间持续增长的企业?

Is this a business that is going to grow over time?

这种增长,是靠它卖出更多产品、提供更多服务带来的,还是靠它每年把价格提到高于通胀很多来带动的?

Is that growth being driven by them selling more products or delivering more services, or is that growth being driven by them raising price to excess inflation every year?

所以你得分清,什么叫高质量的收入增长,什么叫质量没那么高的增长。

So understanding what's high-quality revenue growth versus lower quality.

如果一家公司的收入增长主要是靠提价推动的,但同店产品销售或者同类服务销售增速却更慢,那这家公司某种程度上是在利用自己的市场地位,但同时很可能也在给竞争对手进入创造机会。

A company that has driven price to drive revenues, but the same product sales or same service sales is growing at a slower rate, is a company sort of taking advantage of their market position, but probably creating the opportunity for a competitor to enter.

所以要把这一项看明白。

So understanding that line item.

然后我们再来看这家企业的成本结构。

Now let's look at the cost structure of the business.

它的成本是不是可控的?它对成本到底有多大的控制力?

Are their costs controllable and how much control do they have over their costs?

还有,这是不是一家会受益于 technology、或者其他因素、从而让成本随着时间下降的企业?还是说,这门生意的成本属性——不管是营业成本,还是为了运营这家公司必须招募的人才类型——决定了它会很难控制成本?

And is this a business that will be a beneficiary of technology or otherwise where their costs will come down over time, or is there something about the nature of the cost of doing business, whether it's cost of goods sold or the nature of the people they need to recruit to run their enterprise, that it's going to be hard for them to control their costs?

然后你就看到利润这一层了。

And then that gets you to profit.

我们尽量说简单一点。

Let's keep it simple.

再接着,这门生意本身的性质,是不是那种你必须把赚到的现金几乎全部再投回业务里,才能维持市场地位、继续增长的生意?

And then the nature of this business, is it a business where you have to take the cash that you generated and reinvest substantially all of it back into the business to maintain your market position to grow?

还是说,这是一家公司,你其实可以选择把这些钱拿出来分给股东,但同时也确实有一些很有意思的地方可以投这些资本,来强化和扩大你的竞争位置?

Or is it a company where you sort of have the option of taking out that money and divvying it to your shareholders, but there are some interesting places to put that capital that can enhance and build your position.

我觉得这些都是你真正需要去思考的事情。

I think those are among the things that you really need to be thinking about.

有没有一些你控制不了的外部因素,会让你明天一觉醒来,这家企业的价值就只剩一半了?比如某个政府机构做了个决定,或者某种大宗商品价格发生波动,又或者这门生意天生就对利率非常敏感。

Are there extrinsic factors you can't control that you wake up tomorrow and the business is worth half as much because some government agency makes a decision or some commodity price moves, or the nature of the business is inherently sensitive to interest rates?

然后我觉得最后一块是,如果你是被动投资者,因为你没有足够的规模或影响力去影响这家公司,那你就必须非常会看人。

And then I think the last piece is if you're a passive investor because you don't have the scale or influence to impact the company, you've got to be a very good judge.

你只能接受现有的管理团队和董事会,那他们有没有长期做正确事情的记录?

You're stuck with the existing management team and board, and do they have a track record of doing the right thing?

一个很有用的做法,往往是回头去读过去十来年的 annual reports,而且要按时间顺序读。

A useful exercise often is to go back and read the last dozen years of annual reports, but read them sequentially.

比如从二零一五年开始,看管理层当时是怎么说的,再看他们后来是怎么做的。

Start in 2015 or whatever, see what management said, and then see what they did.

还有,读 conference call transcripts 你也能学到很多。

And you learn a lot reading conference call transcripts.

把过去五年的 conference call transcripts 都读一遍。

Read the last 5 years of conference call transcripts.

他们会怎么说?

What do they say?

他们对股东到底有多坦诚,他们平时又是怎么做事的?

How honest are they with shareholders and what do they do?

然后,他们的薪酬机制是怎么样的?

And then how are they compensated?

他们的激励是什么?

What are their incentives?

我的意思是,我会说这些算是你必须了解的一些最基本因素。

I mean, I'd say those are the kind of basic factors that you need to know.
M1
M147:09

Bill,你刚才提到,你们的投资团队相当精干。

Bill, you mentioned you have a fairly lean investment team.

那你在招聘分析师的时候,会看重什么?

What do you look for when you're hiring analysts?

比如说性格、好奇心,或者智识上的谦逊?

Things like temperament or curiosity or intellectual humility?

还有,你们在组织层面上,有没有什么特别的方法,能帮助减少偏见,同时又不扼杀那种非常重要的创造力?

And are there any specific techniques you all do organizationally to sort of debias without killing the creativity that's so important?
M3
M347:28

在招人这件事上,过去这十几年吧,其实更久,我们基本采取了一套固定策略。

We've adopted really for the last, well, more than a decade, a strategy for recruiting people.

我们不会从别的 hedge fund 横向挖人,直接招进投资团队。

We don't hire people into the investment team laterally from another hedge fund.

我们一般会招这样的人:比如他们从 Columbia Business School 毕业,先去 Goldman Sachs 工作了几年,然后又在 private equity 做了两三年;或者他们从商学院毕业后,甚至大学毕业后,就直接去了 private equity。

We hire generally people who maybe they graduated from Columbia Business School, they went to work for Goldman Sachs for a couple years, and then they spent 2 or 3 years in private equity, or they went straight to private equity out of business school or out of college.

其实,我们这里有不少人以前都是学生出身,比如在 Wharton 读过书,而且他们很早就表现出对商业和投资的强烈兴趣。

Actually, we have many students-come-people here that were at Wharton, for example, but they very early on showed a real interest in business and investing.

这是他们真心特别想做的事情。

This is something they really wanted to do.

他们对这件事很有热情。

They were passionate about it.

他们十六岁的时候就开始了解 Buffett 了。

They learned about Buffett when they were 16.

Ryan Israel 是我们的 CIO。

Ryan Israel's our CIO.

他大概十二岁的时候,就已经在读 Berkshire 的 annual reports 之类的东西了。

He was probably reading the Berkshire annual reports at 12 or something like that.

所以说,他们对这个行业是有一种发自内心的热爱的。

So there's like a passion for this business.

我觉得这一点他们本来就自带。

I think they already come with that.

我们喜欢把 private equity 当作一种训练场,因为 private equity 投资人会被迫像我们这样去思考估值。

We like private equity as kind of a training ground because private equity investors are forced to think about valuation the way that we do.

整个企业到底值多少钱?

What's the entire business worth?

而且他们也会去思考,通常也会参与到管理层、薪酬和治理相关的决策里,而这些正是这套策略的关键。

And they also think about and typically are involved in decisions about management and compensation and governance, which are key things for this strategy.

还有一点在这里特别重要,就是我是个非常直接的人。

The other thing that's critically important here, I'm an extremely straightforward person.

我这辈子一直都是这样。

I have been that way my whole life.

我们这家公司的文化也是这样。

The ethos of this firm is the same way.

不管你是不是才二十五岁,也不管今天是不是你来 Pershing Square 的第一天,只要你觉得我哪里错了,你就直接告诉我我错了。

It doesn't matter if you're 25 years old and your first day at Pershing Square, if you think I'm wrong about something, you tell me I'm wrong.

明白吗?

Okay?

在我们这个团队里,能让大家对你刮目相看的一种最好方式,就是你发现我们做的某件事出了错,或者我们在哪个问题上想偏了。

One of the great ways to advance yourself in terms of perception among the team here is you find out something we're doing where we're making a mistake or we're thinking about something wrong.

所以我们形成了一种让人很自在的互动氛围。

So we have this very comfortable dynamic.

我们在招聘人的流程里,有一项筛选内容就是,会在候选人走到流程后段的时候,给他们做几个测试。

And one of the things we screen for as part of our process for recruiting people, we give people a couple of tests when they kind of make their way through the process.

其中一个是给他们一只股票,然后我们会说,好,你去把功课做完,一周后回来,向团队做推介。

One is give them a stock and we say, okay, go do the work, come back in a week, pitch it to the team.

在这个过程中,他们可以使用任何自己想用的资源。

And there they can rely on whatever resources they want.

然后他们回来之后,会坐在八个人对面。

And they come back and then they sit across from 8 people.

我们会向他们提问,他们得回答,我们就看他们表现怎么样。

We're asking them questions, they have to answer them, and we see how they do.

他们得足够坚定,对自己的研究结论有信念。

And they have to be strong enough to have conviction in their work.

他们也得足够谦逊,能意识到自己可能漏掉了什么,而且自己是错的。

They have to be humble enough to recognize when they might've missed something and they're wrong.

做投资这件事,如果你想成为一个伟大的投资人,你就必须有自信。

And investing, if you want to be a great investor, you have to be confident.

当然,这种自信必须建立在你做过的功课基础上。

Now you have to be confident on the basis of the homework you've done.

你之所以必须自信,是因为世界上最好的投资,通常恰恰是那些别人都觉得你错了的投资。

And the only reason why you have to be confident is the best investments in the world are generally the ones where everyone else thinks you're wrong.

我们做过最好的股票投资,是在金融危机期间买入了 General Growth 百分之二十五的股票,当时他们背着两百七十亿美元的债务,股价跌了百分之九十九点五,公司也快要破产了。

The best equity investment we ever made, we bought 25% of General Growth stock during the financial crisis, and they had $27 billion worth of debt, and the stock was down 99.5%, and the company was going bankrupt.

当时别人都觉得,你们这些人太蠢了。

They were like, you guys are stupid.

而我们那时候基本上每隔三天就提交一次 13D,一边持续买股票。

And we were filing a 13D every 3 days buying stock.

那笔投资相对于我们最初的买入价,最后涨了一百倍,因为那几乎是你能做的最逆向的事情。

That was 100x from our initial share because it's the most contrarian thing you can do.

但当整个世界都在嘲笑你,或者媒体都在写你的负面文章时,你必须对自己是对的这件事有非常强的信心。

But you have to have a lot of confidence that you're right when the whole world is making fun of you or writing negative articles about you.

与此同时,你也得足够谦逊,能意识到,哎呀,出现了一个新的事实,

At the same time, you have to be humble enough to recognize that, whoops, there's a new fact

是我之前没有考虑到、而且刚刚发生的,不管是监管变化、某种事件,还是你新了解到一些事情,让你开始质疑管理层的人品或诚实度,等等,在这种情况下你得准备好去反转自己的看法。

that I didn't contemplate that's just occurred, whether it's regulatory change or some kind of event, or you learn something new that causes you to question the character or honesty of management, et cetera, and where you're prepared to kind of reverse your view.

而如果你是一家高知名度的投资机构,做什么都非常公开、都会被媒体审视,那么当你之前已经在股东信里或其他场合公开讲过为什么 XYZ 是一家很棒的公司时,再改变看法就会更难。

And that can be harder if you're a high-profile investment firm and everything you do is super public and scrutinized by the press, and changing your mind when you've been out there in your letters or otherwise talking about why XYZ is a great company can be a harder thing to do.

所以你必须在智识上足够灵活,能够意识到自己什么时候错了。

And so you have to be intellectually nimble enough to realize when you're wrong.

所以这其实是自信和谦逊的结合,而且这两者你都得有,因为如果你只有谦逊,你永远都不会真的下手。

So it's this combination of confidence and humbleness, and you need to have both because if you're just humble, you'll never pull the trigger.

但如果你只有自信,那你迟早会冲下悬崖。

And if you're just confident, you're going to go off the cliff.

我们会尽量去找同时具备这两种特质、而且比例拿捏得不错的人,他们进了公司之后也会继续学这个。

We try to find people who've got a good measure of both, and they learn that at the firm.

所以看的是品格、透明度、开放性,以及清晰表达自己观点的能力。我们的 CIO,Ryan Israel,高中的时候是全国辩论排名前二的人之一。

So it's character, transparency, openness, and an ability to articulate your point of view. Ryan Israel, who's our CIO, was one of the top 2 people in the country in high school in debate.

具备那样的技能会很有帮助。

It's helpful to have those kinds of skills.
M2
M251:14

Bill,我们这场采访快到尾声了,最后我们通常都会用两个问题来收尾。

So we're getting to the end of this interview, Bill, and we always close it with 2 questions.

我先问我的那个,然后 Michael 再接着问他的。

Let me ask mine and then Michael will follow with his.

我的问题是,什么事情会让 Bill Ackman 感到担忧?

Mine is, what worries Bill Ackman?

又是什么事情会让他兴奋到睡不着觉?

What keeps him up at night with excitement?

有什么是你觉得我们应该立刻去应对、马上着手处理的?

What is that thing that you think we should immediately address?

又有什么事情会让你非常兴奋,觉得那是一个很棒的前景?

And what thing makes you very excited that that's a great prospect?
M3
M351:34

让我担心的是,就在过去这几周里发生的一件非常悲惨的事,以及它所代表的意义。

What worries me is a very tragic event that took place and what it represents in only the last couple of weeks.

我们国家以及其他一些国家的一大悲剧之一,就是伟大的政治人物长期以来一直有遭到暗杀的历史。

One of the big tragedies of our country and other countries is that great politicians have a long history of assassinations.

这很悲惨。

That's tragic.

但 Charlie Kirk 是我认识的人,他基本上一年会去两百所校园,开放麦,跟人辩论各种话题,宗教、婚姻、家庭、Christianity、Israel、Israel 的战争、Gaza,等等。

But Charlie Kirk was someone that I knew who basically went on 200 campuses a year, open mic, and debated topics, religion, marriage, family, Christianity, Israel, war in Israel, Gaza, etc.

他被杀了,基本上就是遭到了暗杀,这已经越过了一条红线。

He was killed, was assassinated basically, and that's crossing a red line.

然后我们又看到这些针对 ICE 员工的枪击事件。

And then we see these shootings of these ICE employees.

我会把这些描述为出于政治动机的暗杀。

I would describe them as politically motivated assassination.

因为言论相关的原因去杀一个人,我觉得这是非常危险的事,我非常担心这对国家意味着什么,这会不会让人们不敢说话?

Killing someone for speech-related reasons, I think, is a very dangerous thing, and I worry a lot about that for the country and what it means, does this discourage speech?

言论自由真的非常重要,是我们维护民主所必需的、最重要的东西之一。

Free speech is really important, one of the most important things we need in order to preserve our democracy.

我们不希望生活在一个人们害怕表达自己观点的世界里,因为我觉得那会是一个非常危险的世界。

And we don't want a world in which people are afraid to share their views, because I think that's a very dangerous world.
M2
M252:38

我们这个社会里真正拥有的,只有对话。

The only thing that we have in our societies is the conversation.

而且你永远不该对这种对话失去信心,对吧?

And you never have to lose faith in that conversation, right?

在这个过程中,我们会一起做一些事情。

In the process, we'll do things together.

我们可能不是每件事都意见一致,但我们会一起做事情。

We may not agree on everything, but we'll do things together.

而我觉得,一旦这种东西崩塌了,Bill,我们就真的麻烦大了。

And I think the moment if that breakdown occurs, Bill, we're in real trouble.
M3
M352:56

我们现在已经有一些麻烦了,因为坦率地说,这一直是我在大学校园里倡导的核心,不管是在 Columbia 校园,还是在 Harvard 校园。

We're in some trouble because this was my whole advocacy, frankly, on college campuses, on the Columbia campus, on the Harvard campus.

那里倒不一定有公开、明面上的审查,但存在大量的自我审查,很多 faculty 成员、学生,因为害怕被 cancel,害怕考试拿不到分,不敢就某个话题表达自己的看法。

There wasn't overt censorship, but there was a massive amount of self-censorship where members of the faculty, students were not comfortable sharing their views on a topic because of fear of cancellation, fear of not getting the grade on the exam.

担心拿不到他们的 PhD,因为他们的观点和比如 history department 之类的观点不一致,等等。

Not getting their PhD because their views are not consistent with views of, like, the history department, et cetera.

我觉得这对教育非常不好。

I think that's very negative for education.

而且我觉得,只听论证中的一方,我们是到不了真相的。

And I think we're not going to get to the truth listening to just one side of an argument.

什么让我受到鼓舞?

What makes me inspired?

第一,我热爱我的工作。

One, I love my job.

这是最棒的工作之一,而且我和一个特别有意思的团队一起工作,我们每天都在做很有趣的事情。

It's one of the great jobs and I work with a really super interesting team and we do fun stuff every day.

我是个乐观主义者。

I'm an optimist.

我觉得有一条路,希望很快就能看到。

I think there's a path, hopefully soon.

过去一年 Middle East 发生的这些事件,其实为 Middle East 的和平创造了条件,但前提是我们得先结束 Gaza 的这场战争。

The events in the Middle East over the last year set up for peace in the Middle East, but only if we can get this war done in Gaza.

把恐怖分子清除掉。

We get rid of the terrorists.

Middle East 绝大多数国家关注的,都是让自己的人民过上更繁荣的生活。

The vast majority of countries in the Middle East are focused on prosperity for their people.

如果战争能更少一些,那该是多么美好的事啊。

And wouldn't that be a wonderful thing if we have fewer wars?

我希望看到 Ukraine 的战争结束。

I'd like to see the war in Ukraine over.

我觉得我们正在越来越接近这两场重大战争的尾声。

And I think we're getting closer to the end of these two major wars.

而且我觉得这是一个铺垫。

And I think that's a setup.

这场战争对 Vladimir Putin 来说并不算成功。

This has not been a great war for Vladimir Putin.

我不觉得 Russia 真正为这个国家取得了什么成果。

I don't think Russia has really achieved anything for the country.

从经济上、政治上来看,如果战争让 Hamas 付出了非常巨大的代价,通常这种激励机制会抑制未来再爆发类似的战争。

Economically, politically, and if the cost of war for Hamas has been very significant, normally those kind of incentives discourage kind of future wars.

所以这就是我比较乐观的希望。

So that's my optimistic hope.
M1
M154:26

我的最后一个问题是,你最近有没有在读什么,或者听什么内容?

My final question is, is there anything you're reading or listening to these days?

有没有哪一本书,或者哪几本书,是你会推荐给我们听众的?

Are there a book or books that you would recommend to our listeners?
M3
M354:33

我会说两点。

Two things I would say.

我这段时间花了很多时间在 X 上,而且不只是发帖。

I spend a lot of time on X these days and not just posting.

实际上,发帖只占我时间里比较小的一部分。

That's actually a relatively small amount of my time.

它真的是一个特别特别好的学习方式,不管你对什么感兴趣,都能在上面学到东西,因为上面有很多非常聪明的人,他们对很多领域都非常了解,不管是你感兴趣的健康问题、健身问题,还是政治、投资,或者宏观经济。

It's a really, really good way to learn about anything that you're interested in because there are a lot of super smart people who know a lot about whether it's health issues you're interested in or fitness issues you're interested in, or politics or investing or the macroeconomy.

比如说,如果你想了解 car dealership 现在到底发生了什么,就有那个讲车行的 guy;如果你想了解房地产市场在发生什么,也有人一直在聊这些。

There's the car dealership guy if you want to find out everything that's going on with car dealerships or the people who are talking about what's going on in the housing market.

我觉得它是一个非常了不起的商业研究工具。

And I find it an amazing research tool for business.

真的是个很厉害的工具。

It's an amazing tool.

当然,这取决于你关注谁。

Depends on who you follow, obviously.

如果你够自律,你就不会只关注那些同意你观点的人。

If you're disciplined, you don't just follow people who agree with you.

你还会去关注那些不同意你的人。

You follow people who disagree with you.

我觉得从接近真相这个角度来说,这是一件非常有力量的事。

And I think that is a very powerful thing to do in terms of getting to the truth.

说到书,有一本书是我大概几个月前读的,我觉得对在座这类听众会挺有用。

On the book side, there's one book I read maybe a few months ago for this crowd I think would be useful.

书名叫 The Complete Financial History of Berkshire Hathaway。

It's a book called The Complete Financial History of Berkshire Hathaway.

我记得作者应该是 Adam Mead。

I think it's Adam Mead who's the author.

这本书只适合那种真的特别沉迷这类内容的 geeks。

It's only for geeks who are really into that stuff.

但它真的会带你一季一季地看 Berkshire 随着时间推移做过的每一件财务上的事,每一次收购,等等。

But it really takes you through quarter by quarter, every financial thing that Berkshire did over time, every acquisition, et cetera.

你会从跟着 Buffett 的经历里学到很多,看到他哪些地方做对了,哪些地方做错了。

And you learn a lot following what Buffett did right, what Buffett did wrong.

我建议你们去读这本。

I encourage you to read that one.

然后还有一本书,我现在正在读到一半。

And then there's a book I'm in the middle of now.

它叫 The Compounders,讲的是一些小公司如何变成大公司的。

It's called The Compounders, and it's about small companies that became large companies.

通过看这些故事,也许能帮助你识别出其他类似的公司。

And by looking at these stories, perhaps helps you identify other ones.

那我得先走了,因为我前一个安排我已经晚了二十分钟,不过我真的很享受和你们相处的这段时间,非常感谢。

With that, I need to run because I'm 20 minutes late for my previous thing, but I really enjoyed my time with you guys and thank you so much.

感谢你们做老师、做教职员工。

Thank you for being teachers and faculty.

很多年前,我从一些非常优秀的老师那里受益良多。

I'm a great beneficiary of some great teachers years ago.

你们带来的影响是非常巨大的,因为你们的学生之后都会去成就很棒的事情。

The amount of impact you have is enormous as your students go on to do great things.

所以,谢谢你们。

So thank you for that.
M1
M156:14

Bill,感谢你来参加 Value Investing with Legends podcast。

Bill, thanks for joining the Value Investing with Legends podcast.

也感谢各位的收听。

And to all of you, thank you for tuning in.

我们下期节目再见。

We'll see you in our next episode.
M3
M356:21

谢谢,各位。

Thanks, guys.
M2
M256:22

太感谢你了,Bill。

Thank you so much, Bill.
M3
M356:27

Value Investing with Legends podcast。

Value Investing with Legends podcast.
M1
M156:38

谢谢。

Thank you.
已剔除 1 处广告(点击展开查看)
M1
M156:29广告 · 已剔除

To subscribe to the show or learn more about the Heilbrunn Center for Graham and Dodd Investing at Columbia Business School, please visit grahamanddodd.com.